• 64 results
Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Cavemold

With that said I can't say since I haven't read any of the marvel now books. As of now I'm liking DC books. That can change though

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't want to see Hulk in metal short shorts.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Dhor

Fact is marvel is beeing run by the marketing division. Marvel now is a cheap copy of the new 52 and a good reason to make the universe more like the movie Avengers. FFS they made a NEW BLACK ONE-EYED NICK FURY. I don`t agree with every decision DC has done but Marvel seems like a money hungry wh.re. Most of the thing they did in the last 10 years have been ONLY for the sake of more money. i know that thats the way the world works but for me , the product has to come first and then the marketing and NOT the other way around.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By SoA

@Notemoro: i have been reading marvel before i was ever slightly interested in DC , my friend and about 20 viners say try it out before i dismiss it so i will look into a few titles and see if its a hit or a miss . also being on marvels side as far as company politics go with superman earth-1 as ur icon pic is just ... tasteless lol

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#57  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@The Stegman said:

Of course It's better. Relaunch>>Reboot
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#58  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Notemoro said:

Dude really?! Ok so the beginning part of this might be true..we might be giving to much credit to Marvel. But then you said the last 10 years they've (Marvel) had "good ideas that were executed poorly"...really dude because I could say the same exact thing about DC and what they've done to their Universe in a few months (- ruined it). Do you even read each panel or just look at how awesome Aqua-man looks? Because the writing material is pretty bad. Like by issue 1 (maybe 3) of JL I stopped following with the New 52. Id rather watch Young Justice waaay better structured plots and scripts then the New 52.

Yea really. I'm not saying that everything in the New 52 is good or written well, obviously it varies between writers but obviously one of their goals was changing the perception of certain characters for their readers. You may not like Aquaman now but for alot of people, Geoff Johns changed how they felt about the characters and is getting them to read the book. That's not really something Marvel has ever done. If they are having trouble selling female characters they won't try anything new, they will just cancel the book and start over later. DC actually comes up with marketing tactics and selling points to get people to read those books.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Haaydrian said: 

Temporarily outdoing DC means they're doing better business. Short-Term, yes, but Short-Term profit is still profit.

No, it doesn't because this is what they've been doing for years now. This isn't any smarter of an idea for business than their previous events were. 

@Haaydrian said: 

I don't. I'm an old reader. They estranged me. It hurt me as a consumer, who was happy with the old DC. I'm not the only one. Saying their sales rose means nothing, that could be all New people. Additionally, I was looking forward to the New 52.

You're one of few though. DC can't please everybody, just like Marvel can't. Saying their sales rose means EVERYTHING, it doesn't matter whose buying it..they are. DC is a company, they are out to make money just like every publisher. 

@Haaydrian said: 

Possibly in practice. The idea/theory behind it is still sound.

We can give them props for the idea itself but i'll reserve judgement on whether it changed anything, for when it comes out. 

@Haaydrian said: 
Isn't this what the "HEROIC AGE" was supposed to be? They started alot of books back at one and started some new books.

...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_Age_(comics) 

@Haaydrian said: 

For sales figures to say different, you'd have to prove that all the old fans still read New 52, PLUS the new fans. Its more likely that some old fans dropped, and many more new fans came in to try. Regardless, none of them could be proved.

My point was about the New 52 working, not whether it alienated older readers. I don't know the statics on that and you haven't presented any so I'm ignoring it.
Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Haaydrian
No, it doesn't because this is what they've been doing for years now. This isn't any smarter of an idea for business than their previous events were.

I wasn't even comparing it to their previous events in the first place. I'm comparing it to New 52

You're one of few though. DC can't please everybody, just like Marvel can't. Saying their sales rose means EVERYTHING, it doesn't matter whose buying it..they are. DC is a company, they are out to make money just like every publisher.

True. I'm basing a blog (which is a record of opinions) on my personal experience.

We can give them props for the idea itself but i'll reserve judgement on whether it changed anything, for when it comes out.

That's what I did. I can't say it was successful. Perhaps the title was rather bold, but that's more of a calling card. Other than that, I talked about why I thought the idea was better, not why it was of a better quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroic_Age_(comics)

Yes, I know of the Heroic Age. The question mark meant I just didn't understand your point.

My point was about the New 52 working, not whether it alienated older readers. I don't know the statics on that and you haven't presented any so I'm ignoring it.
I don't think I said it didn't work?
Okay...?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Haaydrian  said: 

I wasn't even comparing it to their previous events in the first place. I'm comparing it to New 52

Nowhere in my post was I saying you were. I'm saying that the idea of Marvel NOW won't do any more for the company then events did.  

@Haaydrian  said: 

Yes, I know of the Heroic Age. The question mark meant I just didn't understand your point.

The point was that the Heroic Age was a similar idea with garbage  execution . It wasn't event, it was a revamp of sorts to change the status quo at Marvel and it didn't do that at all. It was business as usual.

@Haaydrian  said: 
I don't think I said it didn't work?
Okay...?
In a way you did. You're saying that New 52 alienated their older readers so from that standpoint it didn't work. The New 52 did what it was supposed to do. Raise sales. We don't know how many of their older readers jumped ship with the New 52. In other words we don't know how much of an effect this actually had to say that Marvel NOW would be a better idea for doing the opposite. Marvel NOW could alienate older readers for a completely different reason.
Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Haaydrian

@Vance Astro:

Nowhere in my post was I saying you were. I'm saying that the idea of Marvel NOW won't do any more for the company then events did.

Okay.

The point was that the Heroic Age was a similar idea with garbage execution . It wasn't event, it was a revamp of sorts to change the status quo at Marvel and it didn't do that at all. It was business as usual.

Don't necessarily agree, but that's off on a tangent.

In a way you did. You're saying that New 52 alienated their older readers so from that standpoint it didn't work. The New 52 did what it was supposed to do. Raise sales.
I would have been saying, it wasn't "perfect" not that it didn't work, because much like you said it did what it supposed to do.
We don't know how many of their older readers jumped ship with the New 52. In other words we don't know how much of an effect this actually had to say that Marvel NOW would be a better idea for doing the opposite. Marvel NOW could alienate older readers for a completely different reason.
No we don't, but we know in theory it was always going to alienate old readers because of it and NOW wouldn't. In practice, anything -- literally, can happen and I can't comment on what will happen in practice because its not even out yet. That said, if there's a negative to Marvel NOW I overlooked, that would be a failure on my part.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Haaydrian said:

Don't necessarily agree, but that's off on a tangent.

How is that off on a tangent when my argument against Marvel NOW was Marvel's track record of execution? 

@Haaydrian said:

No we don't, but we know in theory it was always going to alienate old readers because of it and NOW wouldn't. In practice, anything literally, can happen and I can't comment on what will happen in practice because its not even out yet. That said, if there's a negative to Marvel NOW I overlooked, that would be a failure on my part.

Without figures we're giving Marvel props for nothing.
Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Haaydrian
How is that off on a tangent when my argument against Marvel NOW was Marvel's track record of execution?

Because they're not similar enough. One is a "revamping the story" shtick, the other one is "lets randomly sell everything at #1". Only about 5 titles were launched so the idea is fundamentally different.

Without figures we're giving Marvel props for nothing.

I gave props because to me as a consumer NOW > New 52 because of the reasoning I stated in the OP. I don't need figures to confirm that. Of course this can't be applied to EVERYONE. Because not all people have qualms with the new nature of the DC universe. To them, the New Universe is great/awesome/other adjectives.

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By greenteaforme

You're comparing two different things.

If DC did not reboot the way it did, it wouldn't be worth buying the comics. We'd be reading rehashed stories.

Lots of QQing going on here.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether you love or hate their stories, Marvel is a company that always seems to have a short term & long term plan in mind. DC on the other hand seem to be a company that doesn't communicate with each other w/no long term goal in mind because their plans are always changing.

Marvel NOW to me doesn't seem like a response to New 52 because Marvel has been doing the same thing for what seems like over a decade now. It has always been events, events, events, new status quo, events, events, new status quo which is what DC has now been doing.

Now if only DC can find a way to copy Marvel's success on the big screen. Rocket Raccoon & Ant Man will be getting screen time before Flash & Wonder Women, W T F.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lykopis

The OP makes some excellent points -- whether or not Marvel NOW proves profitable in the long term, I do agree this approach is better rather than the complete erasing that DC did. And why wouldn't it be considering they get to go forward with the knowledge and experience of DC's new 52.

I like the idea, so far I am happy with what I see. Outside of AvX and its repercussions, I am looking forward to more MarvelNOW issues with my old fan snobbiness sufficiently catered too, lol.

Great blog.