Why is Marvel the No. 1 Comic Book Publisher and DC just No. 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jim Halpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jim Halpert

Reading this Iron Man article by Tom Pinchuk had me thinking.   

I knew that Marvel had surpassed DC as No. 1 in comic book sales today, but I’ve always thought for the life of me, that it only happened just around this 2000 decade after they had bounced back from bankruptcy in the late 90’s.  But after looking it up, I was very surprised to find that Marvel had actually accomplished that feat since the 70’s!   In fact the year 1972 was the year Marvel overtook DC for the industry lead.  

That’s almost 40 years that Marvel had been dominating DC in comic book sales!!!   Anyone else realized this?   I didn’t!   How did that happen?  

The 70’s were dominated by DC Hanna Barbera cartoons, the 80’s were dominated by Superman films and Superboy TV shows, the 90’s with Batman films and Flash TV shows, but yet the only thing going for Marvel were Spider-Man & Friends, and The Incredible Hulk TV shows.   So I always thought growing up, DC was always the prevalent comic book company.  

Since 1972 unitl today, DC has only outsold Marvel books less than a handful of times a year, literally a handful.   Outside of Marvel declaring bankruptcy, DC had to basically kill Superman and break Batman during those years just to come close to what Marvel was selling.   And after those stories settled, they were back to being non-existent to the readers.

Going back to Marvel’s bankruptcy, how were they able to bounce back and reclaim the No. 1 spot again in just a short time?   How were they able to stay ahead of DC in comic book sales despite a lot more people in general always more used to seeing DC heroes like Superman and Batman on flim and TV during those years?    

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By DH69

quantity over quality. marvel whore's their wares out like nobodies business

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I like them both so I'm not going to argue the quality........buttttttt.....when Deadpool has 5 titles a month you're bound to surpass your rival in sales and profit....
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Supreme Marvel

And most of the kids see Spider-Man and buy everything Marvel possible brings out for him.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I posted this on another thread:
  @Supreme Marvel said:

"  
X-Men

• Astonishing X-Men
  • New X-Men
  • X-Men 
  • X-Men: Legacy
  • X-Men: First Class
  • X-Men: Forever
  • Ultimate X-Men
  • Uncanny X-Men

Avengers
  • Avengers
  • Dark Avengers
  • The New Avengers
  • The Mighty Avengers

Spider-Man
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 
  • Web of Spider-Man
  • Peter Parker
  • Amazing Spider-Man: Digital
  • Spider-Man: Fever
  • Astonishing Spider-Man

Wolverine 
  • Wolverine: Origins
  • Dark Wolverine
  • Wolverine: Weapon X
  • Wolverine & Deadpool
  • Wolverine: First Class
  • Wolverine
  "

That's a month. And that's also not including all the other titles they release a month: Thor, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk etc. They have a lot of comics coming out every month and DC probably have the number of comics I listed up there out each month.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By NightFang3

I think both DC & Marvel are No.1 and everyone else is second place.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jordanstine

TRUTH is…  

…it all started when Stan Lee created heroes like Spider-Man, TheHulk, Iron Man, and the X-Men in the 1960’s.   Those characters felt more “real” and more “human” to the readers than DC’s vastly powerful and godly superheroes.  

Did you know  DC has a term called the “speed force” just so that they explain to the readers why the Flash is faster than Superman?   In fact, the Flash is now so fast (basically the speed of light) that he now has “inverse flight” and he can even pull a punch with “infinite mass” as powerful as an exploding white dwarf star aka a small sun; so he’s basically just like another Superman in another costume.   Another one is Martian Manhunter who is basically a shape-shifting telepathic Superman just afraid of fire.  Even DC’s own regular joe Batman is so anti-power that he’s become just as godly powerful to the readers as Superman, if not more powerful actually.

See:   http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/list-the-most-unbelievable-batman-survival-stories-youve-read/92-543105/#21

That is probably why, outside of Superman, lesser known characters like Jonah Hex is getting green lit ahead of more well known heroes like Flash and Wonder Woman; it even got the go way before Green Lantern.   Anyone remember Steel starring Shaquille O’Neal in the 90’s?   Yuck.

It just took 10 years for Mr. Stan to introduce his characters before people started relating to them more than any of DC’s heroes.   That’s how Marvel is able to stay ahead as the No. 1 publisher throughout the times.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Caligula

Marvel is complete crap, real comic fans buy DC and Vertigo, little kids, immature people, and people who started reading comics simply because of Movies/VideoGames/Cartoons read Marvel. Marvel is for people who don't actually like comics, it's for people who didn't start off with the comics, and were brought in through other media. any real comic reader understands completely what im talking about.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

Sorry, but Marvel Vs DC threads end up the same.  There have been so many of them.  Too many of them.