• 57 results
#1 Posted by Serberus08 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously why is he always up there? He has no powers just lots of money, and he gets placed higher then characters like Dr. Doom, Venom, and Black Adam (to name a few) and yet he comes out on top. I think it's because of his status to SUperman and nothing more.

#2 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor is Supermans worst enemy just like Joker is to Batman.

Lex Luthor has always been the biggest threat to Superman.

#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's freaking awesome.

#4 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19759 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is a major villain ...

#5 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

He might possibly be a major villain..

Don't quote me on that though.

#6 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's a major villain and has invented things every scientist in the DC universe can be green with envy about.

Let me think... Oh, perhaps, maybe, also because he managed to become president of the USA despite the fact that everyone suspected his evilness, and, well, there is also the fact that he has one of the sickest minds ever.

When you start reading comics for real, you'll learn that he's one of the "best" villains that was ever written.

#7 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea that having powers makes you a better villain is laughable.

#8 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Serberus08 said:

Seriously why is he always up there? He has no powers just lots of money, and he gets placed higher then characters like Dr. Doom, Venom, and Black Adam (to name a few) and yet he comes out on top. I think it's because of his status to SUperman and nothing more.

by your logic, batman should not be ranked so high, and yet he is.
#9 Posted by Shawnbaby (10869 posts) - - Show Bio

Because when most people think of Superheroes they think of superman...and when people think of Superman...the first villain they think of is Lex

#10 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is affiliated with Superman! You can always judge a guy by his enemies and Lex's is an invulnerable alien with nigh-limitless strength and a ton of other sh*t going on. Superman's enemy on the other hand is a bald human with no powers who can lift probably an average amount for someone his age............Who looks bada$$ now!?

#11 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
@rogue_mar1e said:

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Miracles don't happen but Lex Luthor does.
BB

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (13369 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor is one of the smartest men alive in the DC universe

Brains > brawn / powers

#14 Posted by cyberninja (10383 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the epitome of evil, that's why. 

#15 Posted by Lvenger (21217 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

QFT. The best thing about the Superman/Lex Luthor relationship is that they are metaphors for human nature. Superman represents the best aspects of humanity whilst Lex represents our worst demons. That's why he's a major villain and my favourite villain.

#16 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

He is Superman's opossite that's why. Superman represents good and kindness and Luthor represents evil and hate.

#17 Posted by The Stegman (26005 posts) - - Show Bio
Because he's Lex flippin' Luthor.
#18 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Superheroes fight for humans, but when one of them is evil it crosses all sorts of moral boundaries.

#19 Posted by Aero_gt (840 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Lex Luthor is one of the smartest men alive in the DC universe Brains > brawn / powers

@DarkKnightDetective said:

He is Superman's opossite that's why. Superman represents good and kindness and Luthor represents evil and hate.

@Billy Batson said:

BB

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@rogue_mar1e said:

@Shawnbaby said:

Because when most people think of Superheroes they think of superman...and when people think of Superman...the first villain they think of is Lex

@AtPhantom said:

@TERMINATORXX said:

ALL THE ABOVE.

#20 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aero_gt said:

@cattlebattle said:

Lex Luthor is one of the smartest men alive in the DC universe Brains > brawn / powers

@Billy Batson said:

BB

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@rogue_mar1e said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@AtPhantom said:

@TERMINATORXX said:

ALL THE ABOVE.

Second all this. Supes is on every best hero list due to his importance to comics and Lex is the same for the villain catagory. They are yin and yang, pb and jelly, and all those other chessy sayings lol.

#21 Posted by NewKid (367 posts) - - Show Bio

He is probably the villain with the most depth in the entire DCU.

#22 Posted by Matezoide2 (15999 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz he is EVIL!

#23 Posted by fatalfury77 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

The joker is the best DC villian

The end.

#24 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7856 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the greatest villain of the most iconic comic book character of all time?

#25 Posted by Serberus08 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: But i was debating villains not heroes. My problem is more with how he is compared with marvel's bad guys and he comes out on top of Apocalypse, Dr. Doom, and other villains that are just as big to there respective comic heroes (i.e X-men, FF) and yet they are below Lex Luthor on the list. I mean granted I recognize his importance in the DC universe but I never understand what makes him better then Ra's al Ghul, Sinestro, Loki, Red Skull etc. They all have major ties to their heroes as well but Lex always gets ranked so higher. Why?

#26 Edited by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

Actually, he's not the epitome of evil. He's the epitome of what human can potentially achieve but unbound by ethics, compassion, or morality. He is ambitious and always strives to achieve more but he lets nothing get in the way of his ambition.

That's what makes him the perfect villain for Superman because Superman has everything that Luthor wants but he does not use his powers to their full potential because allows morality and compassion to restrain him.

#27 Posted by Serberus08 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

So no one else is as evil?

#28 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

because lex luthor is the smartest man in the DC universe

#29 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

That's like asking why Batman would be on every major superhero list because he is just a human and has no powers.

Batman is to Justice what Lex Luthor is to crime.

Both are the two most intelligent humans on the planet. One uses that for good, the other for evil.

Trivia!!!! Who is the third smartest human in DC??? first to answer gets a prize!

#30 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio
@Romulus9000: toyman (shiro from batman/superman)?
#31 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Terrific. Or at least he was before.

#32 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: Nope. Noble try, but you only get one shot. I don't want anyone trying to get it on google.

#33 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: YES YOU WIN!!

And i had not considered the New 52 con. Hmm i assume he still is.

I love JSA. Rick Tyler is a Boss

#34 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aero_gt said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@rogue_mar1e said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@AtPhantom said:

@TERMINATORXX said:

ALL THE ABOVE.

#35 Posted by cyberninja (10383 posts) - - Show Bio
@Serberus08 said:

@cyberninja said:

So no one else is as evil?

Really? really? 
#36 Posted by krspaceT (1509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Serberus08: Villains become popular, iconic, and thus used in movies and shows that make them even more so, as they are more and more usable. Sure, someone like Atomic Skull or Metallo hits harder, but Lex is the guy whose behind them. His brand of evil is the sort that can pan out over time.

It also helps by the very nature of Dc and Marvel adaptions. While Marvel is better suited to movies with characters like Iron Man and Hulk, DC characters are better for the longer string of plots you have in modern day cartoons.

#37 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

You just can't mess with Lex.

#38 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he really is a big villain.

#39 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Money buys power...he has enough money to buy enough power to be a big enough threat for superman to notice...

#40 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Serberus08 said:

@JohnnyWalker: But i was debating villains not heroes. My problem is more with how he is compared with marvel's bad guys and he comes out on top of Apocalypse, Dr. Doom, and other villains that are just as big to there respective comic heroes (i.e X-men, FF) and yet they are below Lex Luthor on the list. I mean granted I recognize his importance in the DC universe but I never understand what makes him better then Ra's al Ghul, Sinestro, Loki, Red Skull etc. They all have major ties to their heroes as well but Lex always gets ranked so higher. Why?

Let's say it's the equivalent of the Bat-factor for villains: this guy goes as far as humanly possible and beyond solely thanks to his genius and dedication. Other people you mention have powers or are gods or demi-gods, while Luthor is just a man and yet he once managed to become the most powerful creature in the DC universe. That and president of the USA etc...

#41 Posted by Himynameishoodie (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo lex luthor friggin sucks! He is the mild inconvenience of DC villains... He just a spoiled, rich boy, douche bag, with a Napoleon complex.

#42 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad this got bumped b/c I needed a laugh. Especially ironic since I just finished reading Action Comics 19.

#43 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like Joker, a big reason why he's so beloved is his popularity, these characters have a bigger exposure than others, making it hard to pass by someone who doesn't know him, and after that, if they get to really know the character and get invested in him, they'll probably like him, like any other popular character. It's not to say that he doesn't deserve this popularity, he's freaking awesome, but y'know, it's still an important factor.

#44 Posted by The Stegman (26005 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's a major villain

#45 Edited by ccraft (5573 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz he is EVIL!

Nope, doesn't count! That was Wally!

#46 Edited by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's awesome...he's a very interesting character.

Btw, Lex uses a warsuit to battle Superman. And in the suit he's nigh-superman level strength...therefore he's actually quite powerful.

He's like an evil Iron Man, how's that not awesome?

#47 Edited by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Mrs. Price

: This is one of Johann Davis's earliest drawings. See the villain's eyes? They're larger than the other characters'. They - insinuate a slightly skewed perspective on how they see the world. Just off normal.

David Dunn

: Doesn't look scary.

Mrs. Price

: Mm-hmm. That's what I said to my son. But he says there's always two kinds; there's the soldier villain - who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat - the brilliant and evil archenemy - who fights the hero with his mind.

-

Unbreakable

Lex is truly the most brilliant being in the DC Universe. Why do you like Dr. Doom (one of my personal faves as well, btw)? Well, because he is a genius. Sure, he has powers, but they dont mean anything, he could win with or without them. You could start Dr. Doom over with nothing, and within a few years, he could completely change his fate, and overcome pretty much anything. He has struggled with gods and men and came out victorious. The same could be said of Lex. I like Dr. Doom better by slight margins than Lex, but they are very similar in all honesty. Both are extremely patient, there are jokes about 10 year plans, yet Lex and Doom could both actually do that. Lex has really evolved with his enemy too. He cannot beat Superman straight up, so what does he do? He gets himself elected President, and becomes untouchable. Then he sets Doomsday loose on Superman, and it cannot be easily traced to him, so he can just keep testing Supes, and if he wins, great, and if he loses, oh well, he has plenty of time. Shoot, read Red Son, thats fantastic Luthor right there. Lex resisted Emperor Joker, something Spectre struggled to do.

Lex is incredible, and while id say arguing that Magneto, or Dr. Doom, or Darkseid, etc deserve higher ratings is understandable (though completely a matter of opinion), I have to say, you sound somewhat unfamiliar with Lex when you compare characters like Black Adam or Venom. I love both, shoot Eddie Brock Venom is my favorite Marvel character to this day, but in terms of icon, in terms of status, in terms of impact on their Universes? Venom is peewee league buddy.

Also, Batman is consistently rated the number 1 hero, and all your complaints could apply just as easily to him.

#48 Edited by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

in simple words,he is smart as hell,

he doesn't have any morality,

he can actually be in a story involving superman and seem like a legit threat....

And what you say about Dr.Doom being just as evil...well lets just say its more about preference and good stories(not to say doom is not intersting)

#49 Posted by The_Tree (7952 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's one of the best villains around. Manipulative, twisted, genius, and completely evil.

#50 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is what a good supervillain should be.