#1 Posted by Aurum19 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Note: I respect everyone's opinion. I myself like characters that are non-mainstream (99%) of the time. I personally don't really think batman is all that cool. I find that he is just a over-hyped gadget style super hero that thinks too much about the past. I feel like he's a little baby in the fact he never gets over his parents death. I mean look at many other superheroes, they lost parents, look at superman, he lost his entire species pretty much and he doesn't complain EVERY SINGLE SECOND. I'm not saying Batman complains it's just everything he does revolves around parent's death. Even in Batman Beyond he keeps going back to his parents grave. And as far as killing goes, I think more superheroes should adopt green arrows way, where killing is the last resort, but definitely an option.

#2 Posted by roboadmiral (544 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if everyone's obsessed. I know I like Batman quite a lot. He's a self-made hero. If Superman were just an orphan that the Kents found and wasn't an alien there would be no chance of Superman. If Peter Parker hadn't been bitten by the spider, there would be no chance of Spider-Man. They received their abilities and then decided what to do with them. Bruce determined what it was he wanted to do and set out to obtain the abilities necessary to do it. I think there's something much more admirable about that.

He's a bit grim and lacking in people skills, but I think it makes him interesting when he's well written. He never just says what he feels, instead he dodges questions and tries to bury himself away from real direct contact with people. It can make him nuanced (once again, when he's written well).

As for killing, I've never been a fan of the no-kill rule and I think that it's a remnant of a by-gone era that needs to be let go of. I agree with you that it should be a last resort, but still a possibility.

I suspect that I'm not going to change your mind on Batman and you're probably not going to change mine, but it's no big deal either way.

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@aurum19

Well, I can't force you to change your opinion, but I can only show you how I see things.

Batman is actually aware that he never got over his parents' death. The death of his mom and dad at such a young age was what drove him to hone his body to peak-perfection, and would be the cause for him dedicating his life to being a superhero. But while he knows that he needs to see pass it, he refuses to. There was an issue of Green Lantern where Hal gave him the ring, allowing Bruce to project a light construct of his family - but Bruce refused to let it go, saying 'Not yet'. He doesn't complain about it often, but it is perhaps THE defining moment of Batman - so naturally it's brought up a lot.

The way I see it is that the death of his parents gives Batman a reason to live. His connection to that moment is what drives him to do good - to make sure that no one else ever feels the pain that he did. Is it psychologically healthy? Probably not. But if you look at all the good deeds that he's done as Batman, and all of the lives he's saved - I think that Bruce Wayne made the right choice in sticking with the cape and cowl, as opposed to getting over his parents' death and just being another rich billionaire. I don't think he's an overhyped gadget hero as well - he is the original progenitor of the no-powers-just-mind-and-gadgets school of superheroics (barring some pre-superhero adventurers like Phantom or Spirit).

As for the 'no-kill' debate, there are various sides to this issues, and other superheroes also share Batman's code. From a realistic standpoint, I would agree with Green Arrow's choice - that lethal force should be a last resort and is necessary. But in the comics world, things are different. Here Batman has trained himself to the point that he doesn't have to resort to killing his enemies in order to defeat them. You have to bear in mind that there is a reason Batman is in the same league as the rest of the League - he's simply such an efficient crimefighter that he can still win without killing. He even stalemated Lady Shiva, and she was fighting to kill.

But if you're talking about 'Why Batman doesn't just kill the Joker...', well that's another discussion for another day.

#4 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Batman but I do agree with the whiny aspect about him losing his parents, it does get old. I do like how his craziness comes out sometimes though.

I don't know what bores me more, Batman talking about his parents or Superman talking about krypton. What I do know for sure though is that I"ll be skipping ahead in that comic.

#5 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6256 posts) - - Show Bio

With him dealing with the loss of his parents compared to other characters, it's just like in real life. Some people cope better than others in that kind of situation.

#6 Edited by Strider92 (16284 posts) - - Show Bio

Not everyone is...

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you know the character that well. Batman never talks about his parents to anyone and his creation is the only thing that revolves around his parent's death. They are barely mentioned in his stories. And from when visiting anyone's parent's grave made them a baby. He acts more like a man than most superheroes. Superman didn't know about his planet until he was in his teens not to mention he never met any of the deads and been raised by the kents as their own so he won't feel much about them. It's easier to let go your parents death when you're 20 something but its a lot harder for a 8 year old especially when you don't have any other relative. And if he starts killing then his relationship with the Police and JL will be ruined though I somewhat agree with you on this. People like him because they find him cool and nowadays most people find gadgets are cooler than superpowers.

#8 Posted by Xwraith (17364 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's been the most popular hero for over 20 years now, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of current fans only like him because everyone else does.

Personally, I'm not that big of a fan, except for the DCAU version. You can't go wrong with Paul Dini.

#9 Posted by Enders (12 posts) - - Show Bio

The Nolan films really boosted his popularity imo. He's just the it character for DC right now kinda like how Iron Man is the it character for Marvel.

#10 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@aurum19: Based on your comments, you sound like a closet Batman-lover to me. Give it time, the first step is acceptance.

#11 Edited by Ciriel (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm highly annoyed with Batman. The whole "no super powers" thing is a total lie, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves. Nothing makes sense about him. Learning martial arts fast I can understand (athletic, genius). I don't understand how he can learn EVERY martial art. How does he have the time to do that while also earning many master's degrees and PHDs. Does he buy the degrees? Ninja meditation can be a powerful tool to surpass limits, but seriously the guy kicks down trees for training. No amount of meditation will keep you from shattering your bones. He also comes close to doubling the world record for leg pressing (without steroids that is). So "peak human performance" is an understatement; even though he's human and people want to see humans be relevant in comics...no. Just no. He has to some powers, and based on all his degrees and bs training, I'd say it was time manipulation.

#12 Posted by Perpetr8rMike (590 posts) - - Show Bio

@ciriel: Its likely he discovered time travel and then used it to train. He probably read 'The Time Machine' and doesn't want to risk going back and his parents still dieing.

How hard would it be for a magic user to simply resurrect the Waynes and set them against him?

#13 Edited by Catsnlynne (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one am not obsessed with Batman. In fact I wish there was a lot less of him.

#14 Posted by DC_LegacyMan (16 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, I think he is awesome because he doesn't need superpowers to lay a beat down. He uses his extensive wealth to try and better his city, I could go on and on, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but he is one of those Iconic characters. No matter where you go in the world, everyone knows Batman.

#15 Posted by TheHulk (799 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, I think he is awesome because he doesn't need superpowers to lay a beat down. He uses his extensive wealth to try and better his city, I could go on and on, I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but he is one of those Iconic characters. No matter where you go in the world, everyone knows Batman.

You took the words right out of Hulk's mouth.

#16 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5791 posts) - - Show Bio

everybody is entitled to their own opinion. batman has been around for such a long time that he will pick up alot of fans giving him alot of popularity and alot of crazy fanboys to annoy people which is why this thread was created

#17 Posted by sagejonathan (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's awesome. When you see him in action it just makes your heart hurt in happiness and awe. There's something about the fact that he has no powers but is one of the most dangerous guys there is. He is aesthetically very cool, and he's mysterious and dark. It's just such a great recipe that makes such a great character. I'll admit though that he is overhyped.

#18 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman wouldn't be Batman without his parents billions.

#19 Posted by Oluf_Von_Host_Museum (84678 posts) - - Show Bio

Rich

Martial Arts

Girls

Eccentric characters

Troubled Past

Issues

Cool costume

Cool toys

Polymath like attributes

This is why I like him :)

#20 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@enders said:

The Nolan films really boosted his popularity imo. He's just the it character for DC right now kinda like how Iron Man is the it character for Marvel.

So it´s the Constant media exposure?

#21 Edited by Dabee (2387 posts) - - Show Bio

@aurum19 said:

Note: I respect everyone's opinion. I myself like characters that are non-mainstream (99%) of the time. I personally don't really think batman is all that cool. I find that he is just a over-hyped gadget style super hero that thinks too much about the past. I feel like he's a little baby in the fact he never gets over his parents death. I mean look at many other superheroes, they lost parents, look at superman, he lost his entire species pretty much and he doesn't complain EVERY SINGLE SECOND. I'm not saying Batman complains it's just everything he does revolves around parent's death. Even in Batman Beyond he keeps going back to his parents grave. And as far as killing goes, I think more superheroes should adopt green arrows way, where killing is the last resort, but definitely an option.

Come on with the non-mainstream stuff. Characters are often mainstream because of how awesome they are. Drop that stufff... please. lol

Also, his parents' death is a huge part of his origin, and you can't call someone a baby because they're still affected by the murder of their parents. Really...

#22 Posted by Aurum19 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in my opinion, I don't think Batman is that awesome, people are just obsessed becuase of the movies. Lol, I mean don't get me wrong if my parents were killed when I was young I'd be VERY VERY UPSET. But still, there is a time of LET GO. Everything he does revolves around his parents, which to me personally he needs to let go. Yes his personality of being hidden is cool, but gets kind of old. And I liked what Ciriel said, I don't like the idea of batman just beating people unusually I do understand finding weakness and all that, but there seems to be no limit. For example I know this isnt the topic: Captain America beat Iron Man once, makes 0 sense. I get it's comics and it's not supposed to be real, but atleast have some sort of logic behind it. That's just my way of looking at it. And again I might have very well been a Batman lover, had it not been that EVERY SINGLE PERSON was dreaming about the guy.

#23 Edited by triton62674 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

It's actually pretty obvious why people are obsessed with Batman. It's because he's just a normal average guy which shows to normal people that you could be this powerful in real life. It's also cause people like Superman are just boring. They have unlimited power and only one weakness which somehow everyone seems to acquire -_-. Anyway, in real life there really could be an actual Batman that goes round and helps people but doesn't have some overused superpower which just makes everything "glitter, rainbows and happiness" but does actually have a risk element like in real life. Basically, Batman is more real and down to Earth while Superman is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to fictitious.

#24 Edited by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him I used to not like him because of his popularity but I was limiting myself he's got some great comics games and movies I'd be missing out on if I let other peoples praises annoy me

#25 Edited by ccraft (5206 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce was just a kid when he watched his parent get killed, it's not something you can easily forget or move on from.

Difference between Superman and Batman is he wasn't traumatized by seeing his planet explode in from of him. He finds that out when he's an adult, and Supes had the Kent's raise him as if he was there own. Big difference.

Here's why I think Batman is one of the coolest cb characters.

• Best villains
  • A mere human, but has enough skill to fight character way above his strength level
  • Has awesome costumes/alternate universe
  • Great writers and artists on his books
  • His partners Nightwing/Robins/Justice League
  • His gadgets/bat-mobiles
  • Character traits
#26 Edited by Deadgod (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

Well why is everyone obsessed with Batman? Grant Morrison explained it better -
"Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero."
Thats another reason why people like Ironman so much

#27 Posted by Jayc1324 (11605 posts) - - Show Bio

For one, batman does not whine about his parents deaths all the time. And he watched them get shot when he was 8 years old. That is much more traumatizing than growing up on a nice farm with a good family and then hearing that your real parents were killed when your home planet exploded. Also Clark can talk to his dad in the fortress of solitude right? Batman uses his parents death to drive him, otherwise he wouldn't have become batman. Supermans reasons for becoming superman are entirely different and aren't based in his past. That comparison is bad. People like batman because he is awesome, badass, and makes amazing shows comics movies and games. I don't think you can say how you would respond to having your parents shot in front of you at 8. And remember that bruce didn't believe that it was a random thing. He dug into it deeper to find out if it was planned and by who. He even investigated the court of owls. So at a young age, a lot of Batman's personality was the beginning to form and that's why he acts how he does to this day.

#28 Edited by ZhuRong (3306 posts) - - Show Bio

How dare anybody disrespect God (Batman)

#29 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him because DC usually outs their top-talent on his main title. A lot of characters would be cooler if Snyder and Capullo were doing them. Granted, Batman, due to his "name" can sell decently even with mid-range talent portraying him, but DC treats him like royalty. Which he is.

#30 Posted by whysoserious1 (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they like him.

#31 Posted by ENGLENTINE (450 posts) - - Show Bio

Because writers seem to make him interesting.

Other non powered heroes fail when it comes to this. They may have their day in the sun such as Will Eisner's "The Spirit" Or before he went bat shit stupid Frank Miller on "Daredevil" ( yes I know .. just drop it, except the senses he has no powers ) Yet nothing has held up as the Batman mythos. Not only because of an interesting protagonist, but the villains as well.

#32 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6277 posts) - - Show Bio

Because everyone has opinions.

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (41141 posts) - - Show Bio

#34 Posted by Deadgod (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

Other non powered heroes fail when it comes to this. They may have their day in the sun such as Will Eisner's "The Spirit" Or before he went bat shit stupid Frank Miller on "Daredevil" ( yes I know .. just drop it, except the senses he has no powers ) Yet nothing has held up as the Batman mythos. Not only because of an interesting protagonist, but the villains as well.

Other Non Powered heroes fail? Punisher , Nick Fury, Hawkeye , Green Arrow, Rorschach , Nighthawk, Jonah Hex, Elektra, Black Widow, Moon Knight, John Constantine & many other disagree with that statement

#35 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33050 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadgod said:

@englentine said:

Other Non Powered heroes fail? Punisher , Nick Fury, Hawkeye , Green Arrow, Rorschach , Nighthawk, Jonah Hex, Elektra, Black Widow, Moon Knight, John Constantine & many other disagree with that statement

Green Hornet and The Spider

#36 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3531 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not obsessed with Batman. In fact, he's one of my least favorite superheros.

#37 Posted by Deadgod (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadgod said:

@englentine said:

Green Hornet and The Spider

also The Phantom & Judge Dredd

#38 Posted by bob808 (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

because Batman is awesome

#39 Edited by Mediocregeist (681 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everyone obsessed with hating on Batman?

#40 Posted by Jphu8414 (3612 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the goddamn Batman that's why

#41 Edited by RogueShadow (10341 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously? Nobody's said this yet?

Because he's BATMAN.

#42 Edited by JetiiMitra (8523 posts) - - Show Bio

Beats me

#43 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Batman because he's ordinary man who can do extraordinary things, which we could do. However he's a tragic figure who has deal with the battle within himself and those around him. On top of that he has awesome gadgets, Alfred Pennyworth is the world's best and most understanding butler in the world, Rogues that echo him but also contrast him very well including the ultimate comic book villain, Joker and Gotham City, which is a strangely is the most realised fictional city in comics and in DC comics itself.

And yes I get people complain about him being overused by the powers to be but he's so iconic that why wouldn't you?!

#44 Edited by DareHulk (216 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Has the best movies...

2. Has the best villains...

3. Has the best stories...

4. Is a bad-@$$

#45 Posted by StormShadow_X (1614 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if everyone's obsessed. I know I like Batman quite a lot. He's a self-made hero. If Superman were just an orphan that the Kents found and wasn't an alien there would be no chance of Superman. If Peter Parker hadn't been bitten by the spider, there would be no chance of Spider-Man. They received their abilities and then decided what to do with them. Bruce determined what it was he wanted to do and set out to obtain the abilities necessary to do it. I think there's something much more admirable about that.

He's a bit grim and lacking in people skills, but I think it makes him interesting when he's well written. He never just says what he feels, instead he dodges questions and tries to bury himself away from real direct contact with people. It can make him nuanced (once again, when he's written well).

As for killing, I've never been a fan of the no-kill rule and I think that it's a remnant of a by-gone era that needs to be let go of. I agree with you that it should be a last resort, but still a possibility.

I suspect that I'm not going to change your mind on Batman and you're probably not going to change mine, but it's no big deal either way.

Every Character has a reason for them to become the hero they are. If Batman's parents never died or they were just average people with average money they he wouldn't be Batman. That's there orgin . SO I agree with all you said other then That which kind of bugged me.