Why is Doom wanked so much?

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am not trying to start a flame war or anything, but recently it caught my attention that while a lot of people hate on Batman because of battles involving him and prep, no one bats en eye when Doom is placed in battles with galaxy busters and given prep.

I have seen a lot of people argue for Doom in those threads.

My question is: Is prep only hated when Batman uses it? Why doesn't Doom get any nonsense?

And what makes Doom so much strong with prep time? His prep feats usually involve manipulation of stronger beings or stealing powers.

Thats something even the Joker did in the recent endgame arc. But Joker is no Doctor Doom..

Is it because he isn;t as popular and therefore no one dared call him overrated? Not to mention a majority of his feats are PIS such as tanking a blast from the IG..

I mean the word Bat-Wank is thrown around so often it makes people not want to argue for Batman in threads when he has prep.

A Batman + Prep argument = Bat Wank

But for some stupid reason Doom + Prep = Auto Win.

This makes no sense honestly...

BatgirlCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BatgirlCC

@digitalshooter9: I agree with this, totally. SMH.

I've heard counter arguments that Doctor Doom is much superior to Batman in terms of prep, hence there's no double standards in the first place.

What these people don't understand is that we are not comparing Doctor Doom with Batman in terms of capabilities, but in terms of the reactions to their PIS.

Doctor Doom may be much superior to Batman, but he still have huge moments of PIS. Nobody calls him out on the PIS. How? Doctor Doom beating the Beyonder was done by plundering Galactus' tech, but people repeatedly invoke that Doom beating Beyonder feat when its PIS.

Batman? Also had huge moments of PIS. And everyone complains. Yeah, Batman used other people's tech to beat top-tier opponents, but hasn't Doctor Doom done the same?

Why are people complaining about Batman on this aspect when they don't do the same for Doctor Doom?

Come at me people. I'm not afraid. In fact I have scans from a previous poster on this forum that proved the hypocrisy.

BatgirlCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343: nobody's complaining about Doctor Doom being superior to Batman. The OP is complaining about the double standards of Doctor Doom doing certain things that are classified PIS but nobody calls him out on it. Yet Batman does things classified PIS and everyone screams and cries.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

It does make sense- Doom has arguably more resources than Batman, better tech and while Batman predominatly relies on his tech to prep with, Doom has magic at his disposal as well.

That makes Doom superior to Bruce but not by a very high margin.

I can list various advantages Batman has over Doom... But that is not the point.

The issue is not about who has more powers, it is that they both averred similar, prep masters but Batman gets all the hate while Doom gets wanked all over the place.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dimitridkatsis
How can you not wank this?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogueshadow  Moderator
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By SC  Moderator

PIS is just a term invoked by comic fans who don't know how to reconcile attempting to take fictional elements as something more and creative processes that move stories and plots forward. PIS is a useless term because almost everything in Marvel and DC is stupid, but thats okay because its also fun. Galactus is stupid, but he is also fun, and cool, and for most people the fun and cool parts outweigh the stupid and so all is well. People usually only invoke PIS when the stupid overrides the fun for them. The reason why so many people probably afford Doctor Doom certain special treatment in the sense he is a very intelligent and resourceful human that does amazing things in a universe of very amazing and powerful super humans and Batman is also a very intelligent and resourceful human that does amazing things in a universe of very amazing and powerful super humans, is probably more down to the role each of those two characters play in their respective stories and Universes.

Doom is a villain to a very classic Marvel team that even predates the Avengers, and because of that he went on to be a Marvel wide villain. Doom rarely has small gritty, detective, mystery stories. or stories involving a sidekick. Or stories where he is perceived as the physically weakest member of a team, or even just stories where he is in a team. Doom is usually involved in massive, epic stories his powers are scaled to that. Batman's powers also scale but they scale to address a lot more different roles and situations as Doom. Including much smaller and humbler situations and opponents. Some people confuse preparation powers with just being good old fashioned opportunistic. The Beyonder instance for example, its not like Doom planned on all the events leading up to that moment with precision, some very powerful beings overlooked him and he capitalized on opportunity (and technological aides) presented, except so many fans only think in terms of Prep or Random they forget things like situational awareness and real time decision making abilities. Anyway, point there being its not so personal as far as comparing Doom and Batman and all about their different respective roles in their Universe. If DC made Batman a Justice League and DC Universe villain and nothing below that, over time his more human, and small moments would be forgotten and he would only get epic and dramatic moments.

Doom still gets humbled as well, was humbled by Sentry and Thor in recent years. Plus many people criticize Doom's abilities, his believability as an actual threat to more powerful characters, I have seen about three of these threads in the last two years. Doom just isn't as popular as Batman as far as favorite character favoritism, so he is going to generally get less criticism and also less praise and discussion. Personally I think people underestimate how intelligent and strong willed Batman, Doom, Reed etc are. Personally also think people overestimate Doom, Thanos, Reed's, Batman's ability to prepare and plan in advance, forgetting the characteristic of being opportunistic in a given situation. As in being competent with the advantages you are afforded in any given situation and using them to come out on top as opposed to being put in a bubble with such elements removed and using sheer intelligence to calculate a plan and then execute it without fault. Which isn't really that surprising because most people aren't suppose to have the same levels of intelligence and competency of Batman, Doom, Reed so on, not even the writers that write them do, they just have to sell readers on the idea. So it makes a lot of sense. Peoples subjective ideas about these characters will create inconsistencies, bias and discrepancy.

Short version. Wank is just a silly term, lots of people are critical of Batman, more so than Doom (unfortunately for Batman fans) because of everyones different perceptions and preferences. Bat-wank is also a silly term that basically exists to be catchy and a cynical lens through with Batman's discrepancies in abilities are highlighted. You should just ignore people who use it candidly, as they likely are far too invested in fictional hypothetical results than understanding the story and creative processes that cause those very same discrepancies in abilities. Batman's freaking awesome and sometimes a victim of his own popularity. At least he doesn't have to wear a metal mask permanently.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 SC  Moderator

Pfft. Dr House + Smaug + The Goblin King + Lo Pan + Sherlock + Chandu the Magician + Dali + Merlin = Dr Strange.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Batman is heralded as the great character with no special abilities...but he always wins because of "prep".

In my opinion, Batman is the most overpowered character in all of comics because he has no powers.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@sc: someone besides me actually remembers Chandu!?!? My guy love for you only increases each day.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DigitalShooter9

@sc: Well said...

@dimitridkatsis said:

Victor's magic isn't on the level of Strange...

Neither is his armor on the level of Stark...

Nor is his cunning on the level of Wayne..

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because he's done some very powerful an outlandish things. Mixed that in with comicbook fans tendency to disregard context for certain feats, and boom, you got a wanked character.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cause he's become more than what the Chew Force is capable of

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

@batgirlcc: Becuase Doom's 'PIS' showings are usually explained with his magic use to strategies and sheer abundance of Batman's PIS showings outweigh Dooms. There are double standards of course in some aspects but some users find it much less bull**** when Doom does something because of his magic and resources and typically not being a street leveller than when Batman does something since he predominantly fights street level people. I think that last point is important, Doom mainly fights mid- upper tiers like the Fantastic Four, he's been doing it for years and has explicit reasons why he's able to do it. Batman's roughed gallery are all street level, of course he can prep for higher level threats Becuase he's smart but it appears more bull**** in comparison to Doom.

Also this. People are more willing to accept Dooms feats over Batman becaus Doom often works at a higher level than Bruce.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: @digitalshooter9: my point is a character with all those qualities is above those with some of them, Strange has no tech, Batman has no magic and Stark rarely shows cunning.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Doom is not even wanked that hard.

You wanna see a list of characters who literally get d_ck rode on all the time on CV?

Here in numerical order from most to least:

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

BatgirlCC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You wanna see a list of characters who literally get d_ck rode on all the time on CV?

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

I disagree for Superman.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

I disagree for Superman.

You must be new here or either never seen Superman vs threads.

Batgirl, People will side with Superman just because they don't know the other characters that is how bad it is.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@digitalshooter9: Doom was a candidate for sorcerer supreme, his armor has been stated as superior or at least on par with Tony, and I don't know how you quantify cunning, but he has a far greater intellect than Bruce and with many more resources

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

I've actually never seen anyone wank Barry, but Speed Force, man. It's what made Wally so overpowered. Most of what Barry does now, Wally did first, so it's basically residual Wally wank, which may as well just be considered Flash wank period.

If anything, Bruce Wayne is far more wanked than Barry.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: He can be wanked due to the fact that he's the second greatest mind in the universe.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Claymore1998

@jloneblackheart: Doom despite having given a rather hefty boost in mystical abilities during Fantastic Four : Unthinkable actually admitted to be being inferior to Stephen.

Add to that the recent boost Stephen himself got by selling his soul , akin to what previously happened to him during Strange Tales, Stephen should be good bit more powerful as a sorcerer than Victor.

The candidacy to Sorcerer Supreme has been mentioned starting way back from doctor strange / doctor doom graphic novel but it has also likewise repeatedly been mentioned that Stephen is the most powerful sorcerer on Earth.

Consistency still points to Stephen having a rather healthy edge in the magic department although I agree with the rest.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#26 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Lucky Doom XD

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#27 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@claymore1998: I'm not trying to say he's superior to Strange, just that he's no novice. Especially after the New Avengers power up.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: If I could quote on mobile I would to this.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Every character is wanked. Deal with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bumpyboo said:

Lucky Doom XD

Lol, this wins the thread :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Cause he's become more than what the Chew Force is capable of

There has to be a name for a Doctor Doom hyperbole force, right? It'll become the competitor of the Wenjun Chew religion.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 BumpyBoo  Moderator
reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

While I disagree with a few here... how is Batman not on this list?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

That's actually the most accurate way it can be put

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@ariesxmasters said:

1) Wally West

2) Barry Allan

3) Zoom/Reverse Flash

4) Superman

5) Spider-man

While I disagree with a few here... how is Batman not on this list?

Simple, because he doesn't. Most people on here hate him in fact.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the same reason Silver Surfer and Thor don't get called OP as much as Superman. Go into a battle pitting either of those 2 against Superman and there will be a lot of people arguing they can beat Superman meaning they see them on Superman's power level. Yet the same people will call Superman OP and not those 2. It's the same reason TDK and The Avengers get called overrated more than any other CBM movie. It's the same reason Joker is called overrated and overexposed but not Lex, Doom, Magneto, any other legendary villain. Popularity and icon status. Before anyone calls me a Batwanker, look, I get that Doom is smarter than Bruce and has better tech and magic but he has a lot of PIS feats too. Even if he doesn't have as many as Batman he still has a lot but most people never call him out on any of them. There's also the fact that Batman can't have any impressive feats without being labeled as PIS around here.

Plus there's the fact that people claim to not like what they see as OP characters (Superman and Batman with prep) yet they have no issue with Doom being able to beat characters like the Beyonder. If Doom can beat someone that powerful how are the FF even a challenge for him? Sure Reed's smarter than him but not by much and Doom has magic which gives him a huge edge. So when you think about it Doom can be argued as OP since he is shown time and again to be able to beat characters who are stronger than the heroes he faces on a regular basis.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MetalJimmor

I'm not a huge Marvel fan so I'm not very familiar with Dr. Doom's feats, but from what I understand this is fairly simple.

It's a lot easier to accept a character doing the impossible "because magic" than it is to believe Bruce Wayne, who only has the resources of a single corporation and a net worth only measured in billions, can fly around the galaxy gathering celestial objects and build a robot suit that can tank world shaking blows without bankrupting himself.

Magic can do the impossible. That's what it does. Science, however, has more scrutiny attached. Even if science and magic are basically the same thing when used in Comicbook Land.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty simple. Expectations. Many fans expect Batman to be a street level vigilante who excels at martial arts, uses a belt full of gadgets to assist his mission and who can solve any crime. Batman is human and grounded.

Doom on the other hand is expected to be THE villain to a group who traverses time and space and who alter physics all the time. Doom runs a country and tangles in more fantastical plots.

The reason that Batman is accused of PIS and not Doom? Doom isn't struggling with street level clowns when written well. He is dealing in high end cosmic stuff. Spider-Man has no chance of beating a competent Doom. On the other hand Batman fights guys like the Joker,Penguin and Riddler. If he is capable of half the stuff he does in a JLA comic, why the Hell isn't Gotham the most crime free city in America?

That is why It's plot induced stupidity. Expectation.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Even if science and magic are basically the same thing when used in Comicbook Land.

You have no idea how much that bugs me.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jack Donaghy

It's pretty simple. Expectations. Many fans expect Batman to be a street level vigilante who excels at martial arts, uses a belt full of gadgets to assist his mission and who can solve any crime. Batman is human and grounded.

Doom on the other hand is expected to be THE villain to a group who traverses time and space and who alter physics all the time. Doom runs a country and tangles in more fantastical plots.

The reason that Batman is accused of PIS and not Doom? Doom isn't struggling with street level clowns when written well. He is dealing in high end cosmic stuff. Spider-Man has no chance of beating a competent Doom. On the other hand Batman fights guys like the Joker,Penguin and Riddler. If he is capable of half the stuff he does in a JLA comic, why the Hell isn't Gotham the most crime free city in America?

That is why It's plot induced stupidity. Expectation.

The only reason he struggles with his rogues is because of morals, this is a man who has gone out of his way to save the Joker at times. He clearly has the tech to kill all of his villains if he wanted to but that's the thing Batman DOES NOT KILL. If Batman were to wear the Justice Buster and punched Joker in the face he'd kill him. So naturally he saves his more advanced tech for when he really needs it like vs the Jokerized JL or Darkseid. And if you're going to ask why Gotham isn't crime free why isn't Marvel's NYC? I mean Reed Richards is much smarter than Batman so why are there so many super villains in NYC where he lives? If Doom can beat the Beyonder how does he not regularly stomp the much weaker FF? If you're going to hold Batman to that standard you better hold others to it as well. It's silly to ask why Gotham isn't crime free, you do know heroes need villains to fight, right? If he got rid of all his villains what do you think his stories would be about? Don't know why you'd even ask a question like that.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's worth it in the end, trust me.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mister_Surreal

People cry and get triggered when Batman beats Superman in a story, regardless of the context, but when Dr. Doom does some absurd feat like pulling a device out of his ass and beating skyfather tier character or abstract, he gets worshipped for it smh.

OT: Doom isn’t really wanked per se, he’s just a huge Mary Sue. His whole thing is beating any character or achieve any goal that he needs to because of the plot of the story. Which is something that people lose their crap over when it comes to Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dooms is often designed to be a great over arching can do anything villain and it's some of his best traits and stories while Batman is the opposite the majority of his stories and classics are street level gritty tales unlike when he works with the JL.