Why is DC seemingly diluting their Cinematic Universe?

• 59 results
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MakkyD

Instead of going the Marvel route and having both TV and films be connected in a coherent universe, they've split them separately.

That alone could be argued to be reasonable, but DC seem to have made it convoluted:

They've split their own film universe already, with Shazam stated to not be set in the same universe as BvS.

They've even split the TV universe with Arrow and Flash being the only connected shows.

You could argue that DC didn't want the tones to mix, although it shoots themselves in the foot when they want to add Green Arrow or Shazam or such to the Cinematic universe, which actually brings me to my next point.

For now, my points meant DC have just wasted opportunities to expand their universe and catch up with the MCU's lore, diluting the universe if you will, but they've also decided to make it convoluted as well.

You've a Supergirl, Gotham and Flash series but yet none are connected to the Superman, Batman or Flash films. This isn't a Quicksilver situation where they were forced for legal reasons to share. They purposely allowed the creation of shows that rely on/share heavily with elements from their films. Who thought it would wise to have two separate Flashes operating at once, especially since DC is known for being conservative with their decisions, trying to appeal as much to a general audience. It might even make you question how much of DC's announced films are connected, such as Suicide Squad.

So I ask people what do they think is DC's reasoning behind these decisions and do they approve of them. Also, if you think they will affect DC positively or negatively in the long or short term.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually prefer it to be this way.

It prevents all the, "Well where was Iron Man during Winter Soldier?!" or the "Where was Cap during Iron Man 3?!"

They're keeping it clean and concise, I think having a bunch of smaller universes is beneficial.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

AOS has been nothing but a burden on the MCU.

Beata

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MakkyD

@spidey_jackson: How so? It was always shaped by the films, never the other way around.

DarthVxder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthVxder

I think its fine and maybe Wally West will be Flash? Aslo shooting a movie and TV Show at the sa e time would be a hassle if youre playing a character in both so I think its a good idea. Also was Shazam really put in a different universe? I thought it was just a rumor. If they did they they screwed up and Suicide Squad has to be connected if theyre gonna use villains from some of the solo movies.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogueshadow  Moderator

We'll have to see how the Netflix shows do, but I think there is some real potential in these kinds of projects, I hope and think the Netflix shows are going to be amazing and just broadens the world being created, as well as obvious financial benefits for the shows.

I can see the logic in splitting TV and film, there are concerns with aesthetic, quality and logistics of interconnectivity. What I don't really get why they have split their TV shows into separate universes.

AOS has been nothing but a burden on the MCU.

Beata

I don't think they've affected it all to be honest, positively or negatively, it's just there.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a great idea to keep the TV and Movie universes apart because then it brings restrictions to the show and the movies. As seen from AOS

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthvxder: You should probably censor that f-bomb bruh.

DarthVxder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120: Im guessing its not allowed? I fixed it so thanks for the heads up.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@_mongul said:

It prevents all the, "Well where was Iron Man during Winter Soldier?!" or the "Where was Cap during Iron Man 3?!"

They're keeping it clean and concise, I think having a bunch of smaller universes is beneficial.

This basically.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@_mongul said:

This. Also I heard rumors that certain shows might be connected even if they are split among different networks

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@maccyd: I actually agree with you here. I think DC, consdering they are "behind" Marvel as many consider it, could really profit from adding Stephen Amel's Arrow and the Flash TV series' lore to the movies. It saves them the time of releasing films, or including backstories for characters they can use in films.

What I mean is: you can include Amel in the JL film without needing to give a backstory. Why? You can go back and watch it on TV. Not to mention people who have come to enjoy the characters as they are portrayed on TV get attached to the actors playing them because more often than not they play them well. If people say that shouldn't matter, well, they shouldn't have issues with certain Flash changes in the comics because I view it the same way.

All these characters co-exist in the comics universes, and no one ever asks "why didn't the Fantastic Four just stop (insert random Spider-Man villain)'s latest attack/crime/etc"? They all have their own issues they are working out, and I think people realize that. In terms of time frame, Hydra could've made their move while Tony was off dealing with "the Mandarin". There's no set timetable for us to know.

I think the reason DC honestly has done it this way is because certain villains will be used in the shows that are high profile (Deathstroke for example) and they want to be able to re-use them in films. If they've been killed or depowered or what have you in the TV shows, they can't be used in the movies if it's a shared universe. That's the only real reason I can think of.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@maccyd: It robs the MCU of good characters.

Beata

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MakkyD

@saint_wildcard: It still doesn't explain why DC seem to purposely chose concepts heavily related to their films. It was obvious Green Arrow wouldn't be in the JL any time soon, but why make a separate Flash series, Superman's cousin and a series dealing with Batman characters. They could just as easily made a Booster Gold series or such that wouldn't cross over with what they're doing in films.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i dont get is why they want a magic universe and a super hero universe.

It looks mixing magic and science fiction isnt ok in their book, but Wonder Woman is a demi god, so its really weird, it looks they want a Superhero exclusive universe.

I am ok with the whole they keep thing apart as long as they manage to explain its some type of multiverse, i mean in the Constantine pilot they talk about realms and things like this.

I mean X Men now have a split time line and several hit tv shows deal with thing like this, i dont believe the mainstream audience its stupid, i think teens that go to see twilight are.

Besides this let all the past movies living in their own universe and it mean they didnt reboot things.

DC should stop the whole limit themselves thing, if they want to compete with Marvel, they should take a risk.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SilverPool

Maybe because they learned from Marvel's mistake?

#AgentsofShield

Not that I necessarily agree with the decision; I'd love to see Amell in a JL movie, but I see why they would do it.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool said:

Maybe because they learned from Marvel's mistake?

#AgentsofShield

Not that I necessarily agree with the decision; I'd love to see Amell in a JL movie, but I see why they would do it.

I dont see why he couldnt be in the movie, that Arrow isnt the same Green Arrow dont mean they need to change the actor.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@eyedcyou said:

@_mongul said:

This basically.

But that will still happen unless were going to see Batman appear in aquaman, or Superman appear in cyborg.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@maccyd: It robs the MCU of good characters.

Beata

I don't agree, it gives characters who wouldn't appear in the films, a chance to shine.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: The mistake on Marvel's part was allowing the mediocre first half of the season to be shown. It didn't affect the films and added obscure characters and concepts that wouldn't have been seen in a film. It was probably a wise choice on Marvel's behalf since its MCU connection propped up a mediocre show's viewings.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rogueshadow  Moderator

@maccyd said:

@silverpool: The mistake on Marvel's part was allowing the mediocre first half of the season to be shown. It didn't affect the films and added obscure characters and concepts that wouldn't have been seen in a film. It was probably a wise choice on Marvel's behalf since its MCU connection propped up a mediocre show's viewings.

I agree, if they had begun airing AoS in January and cut the series down to thirteen episodes it would've been great.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Do you really want Gotham to be connected to the same universe as Man of Steel and Arrow?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MakkyD

@deathstroke52: Since Batman is already a veteran by MoS, Gotham would have been set in the past. It'd probably have been the easiest show to adapt to the films, actually.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@deathstroke52: it would save us from 5 more movies explaining batmans origin

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They want to do separated universes so that a Crisis can happen and we would have all of this alternate universes appearing together in a film.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Comicdude360

@_mongul: I 100% disagree. People like to make jokes yeah but everyone understands that they need solo movies. If it bothers you so much than you must be bothered by the fact that spider man isn't in every marvel comic in New York.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you really want Gotham to be connected to the same universe as Man of Steel and Arrow?

Man of Steel and Arrow arent the same universe.

@eyedcyou said:

@_mongul said:

This basically.

But that will still happen unless were going to see Batman appear in aquaman, or Superman appear in cyborg.

Its going to happen if they keep the whole it doesnt happen n the same year, also Marvel explain Hulk and Ironman 2 happen at the same time, its just that Marvel fail to notice that movies dont work as comic book in continuity.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: As long as you assume that all solos in a phase take place around the same time, it works out okay. Marvel even went to the effort of explaining what Rhodey was doing during the first Avengers.

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They want to do separated universes so that a Crisis can happen and we would have all of this alternate universes appearing together in a film.

That would be so cool

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I mean if we get Adam West, Christian Bale, Micheal Keaton, Kevin Conroy in small cameos, i would cry because it means i didnt waste my life as a dorgenerk.

My life did had a meaning and everything is right in the universe again

This should be the after the credits scene.

How i miss him.
How i miss him.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RisingBean
GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Haha I'd love to see Amel on the big screen. He's done great work as Ollie.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52 said:

Man of Steel and Arrow arent the same universe.

@matthewparker said:

@eyedcyou said:

@_mongul said:

This basically.

Its going to happen if they keep the whole it doesnt happen n the same year, also Marvel explain Hulk and Ironman 2 happen at the same time, its just that Marvel fail to notice that movies dont work as comic book in continuity.

I know that they aren't. I meant do you want Gotham to be in the same universe as Man of Steel, or even Arrow?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RisingBean

@risingbean: Haha I'd love to see Amel on the big screen. He's done great work as Ollie.

Indeed. Can you imagine what they could do with a big screen budget?

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52: it would save us from 5 more movies explaining batmans origin

We don't really need 4-5 films staring Batman in his newbie years regardless of Gotham being in the same universe or not

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

but that's just ignorant nitpicking

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Perhaps this is a way to help DC differentiate itself from Marvel. I can't say I'm crazy about the idea, but it could be beneficial in some ways. Maybe.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JulieDC

I'm glad they aren't connected because it allows for different kinds of creativity and visions. That means you have a greater chance of appealing to different people. For instance, I hate DC's current direction with their movies but I find their TV shows more interesting. And at the end of the day, I don't need everything to connect together because eventually actors will move on and all these movies will be rebooted again and again, so I just want to see good shows or movies that show off my favorite hero, that is all that matters.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@granitesoldier said:

I'd love to see what they could do with that

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@risingbean said:

@granitesoldier said:

I'd love to see what they could do with that

Ollie's trick arrows and the special effects they could make for some bank shots would be incredible. I would see it opening night.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Mrnoital

@granitesoldier: me too, the fight choreography would be awesome as usual just with more/better effects, it would be so good

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@_mongul said:

Storytelling isn’t about filling plot-holes – its creativity too. It’d be ridiculous for Tony to call on Captain America in Iron Man 3…. Would that make a good film if he did? Not at all – that’d be some anti-climactic bull-crap that’s looking at a 50% Rotten Tomatoes rating. Come to think of it – I can argue the same in comic books. Why don’t heroes call other heroes in the books?

Sorry if I sound like I’m attacking you personally – because I’m not, I’m simply responding to your comment.

- TAS

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It likely has to do with the movies, the forthcoming Supergirl, Gotham, Arrow and Flash all being produced by and having different people with the creative control.

Call me a hater or whatever but I think "shared universes" are kind of wank. Some properties have to be a slave to others and it restricts the creativity of the people making a tv series or film, or what have you.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's better this way. I don't want to see Arrow in the same universe as Man Of Steel.

darvs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

It likely has to do with the movies, the forthcoming Supergirl, Gotham, Arrow and Flash all being produced by and having different people with the creative control.

I agree.

Arrow and The Flash can more easily share the same universe because they're both on the same network. But in the end you've got:

The CW: Arrow + The Flash
FOX : Gotham
CBS : Supergirl
TNT : Titans (possibly)

Who wants to coordinate that? What do you mean you'll have to delay beginning of the crossover to next week because of an NBA game? What am I going to do with just the END of the crossover until then? We have already advertised for this, you know? No you can't replace Barry Allen with Wally West, we have already shot Barry for an episode that will air in January. No, her costume needs to stay as it was in the document from last May. And her name is spelled K-A-R-A. So... You realize that would make Robin older than Batman, right?

At least it seems the movies are all made by WB?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ollie's trick arrows and the special effects they could make for some bank shots would be incredible. I would see it opening night.

Damn straight.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I understand and agree. I'm talking about the casual crowd. All my friends always bring that up after we watch a superherp film, and they're serious about it.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people on the internet do nothing but complain about DC?