Why I like Wonder Woman being in the Batman/Superman movie and what I don't want to happen?!

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Edited By LyraFay

Wonder Woman will officially making her big screen debut in 2015. This is great news for the character, however I still don't understand the whole Body shaming thing of Gal, which seems unnecessary . However there's so much things that could be wrong about this. But I think we should give Warner Brothers an chance now. They actually listened this time. Here's why I think its a good idea and what I don't want to happen.

No Caption Provided

Trinity

First of all I think its actually far more organic if Wonder Woman is in a film with Batman and Superman. Not only is an natural of putting her into the middle of the situation. It would just seem to fit her better.

Why?

Well let's put this way from a comic book sellers point of view, she's not a big seller compared well to her male counterparts. Her own new 52 book is actually near the bottom of the selling list. However there is a catch when she's place in a team scenario (Justice League, Batman/Superman and yes, even Superman and Wonder Woman), she does better. Maybe its because you balances her fellow all-male team mates out or maybe comic book fans prefer her in a team situation as one of the boys. This why placing her a team-up movie make sense just as it does in DC countless animated films. She benefits from it, because she is an fully formed unique individual but still can stand up to the boys. And when we see people who are dressed up as Wonder Woman for Halloween, they're not actually enamored with that character (Unless they actual readers of comics), they are simply wearing it because she's no more than a icon of an former era or the usual kinky side of superheroes. So placing her on screen with Batman and Superman will be to return her to relevant. Does Warner's have confidence that she'll stand on her own in her own film? Maybe or maybe not.

Modern update

No Caption Provided

When I first told my twin sister about that Wonder Woman was officially cast in a movie. Her response was not unexpected: "oh really, well, she does nothing for me." And I can see what she means, over the years pop culture has introduced through various female heroines who have all introduced us to Wonder Woman's ideals in a subtle through the film version of LOTR's Eowyn, almost every Game of Thrones' female character, Hermione Granger, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Divergent's Tris and Katniss Everdeen.

All of these character's emulates Wonder Woman standing tall while being clever and strong within a main dominated world. They often break the patriarchal norms within their world just as Wonder Woman did in comics for her grand seventy years. However when this comes to modern audiences, they might find this repetitive and they've seen this all before, which is why this is crucial for her both (I'm also counting her lego appearance in The Lego Movie) for Synder to make sure, she connects to audiences and reintroduces her ideals a new way. Other wise we'll have wait another long wait to see her again on a screen. At least with the Lego movie, we'll see the silly version of her (complete with invisible jet!) and the live-action one will be taken seriously.

No love triange/Love interest!

No Caption Provided

Okay I really don't want is Diana placed in a love triangle with Clark and Lois nor the love interest of Bruce Wayne!

Not only would it waste her character and potential on the big screen. It would also make a general audience characterise her as simply as a super powered love interest which is what she shouldn't be.

Hey she's suffering from that right now in her shared book with Superman.

And besides, she and Warner Brothers have got to show why Marvel doesn't have a character like her and how they should be able to portray female super heroines on screen.

And make sure she kicks ass!!

No Caption Provided

And helps lead to an eventual Justice League movie!!

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Where are you getting your sales figures from? Last month the Wonder Woman series was the 22nd best selling New 52 title, and 77th overall, out of 480 comics. It's certainly lower than the main (4)Batman and (3)Superman comics though.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is all well and good but the problem with adding Wonder Woman she really dosnt add anything to the dynamic between Bruce and Clark

well she most likely wont kick any ass in the Batman and Superman movie becuase her part will most likely be very small

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I've said before, WW being in the film for a very small role or a cameo at best could make the marketing/promotional efforts a bit embarassing. The fact that Snyder and WB officially announced the casting rather than leaving it a secret until the film releases could mean either two things -

1. She's going to have a major role

2. She's only in it for BO values

I don't really want her to have a major role-- seeing her in action? Definitely, but they announced this film solely as a Superman and Batman movie. The box office thing comes to mind because of the Hunger Games cash/effect of course, and the fact that one of the WB execs himself stated that WW would have a major impact on the film's gross...

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@tyrus said:

As I've said before, WW being in the film for a very small role or a cameo at best could make the marketing/promotional efforts a bit embarassing. The fact that Snyder and WB officially announced the casting rather than leaving it a secret until the film releases could mean either two things -

1. She's going to have a major role

2. She's only in it for BO values

I don't really want her to have a major role-- seeing her in action? Definitely, but they announced this film solely as a Superman and Batman movie. The box office thing comes to mind because of the Hunger Games cash/effect of course, and the fact that one of the WB execs himself stated that WW would have a major impact on the film's gross...

I don't know how major her role could be if it's a Batman and Superman film, but it almost certainly wouldn't be enough before going into a Justice League film. I'm wondering if that's the plan, as I don't think she's got a solo film confirmed. It would be a pretty low of them to reduce one of the Trinity to being a supporting character.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well written blog and expression of your take on the introduction of Wonder Woman into the DC film universe. My take on it is different as I would rather the character be stand alone and be promoted on her own merits and because of that, I am hoping the part is a small one so that this can be rectified. It could be that Warner is doing this as a test of some sort to gauge fan reaction and should they consider feasible, a real effort in proper casting and grade A screenwriter(s)/director will come from it.

While I could be persuaded to consider this a good thing since an argument of better something than nothing can be relied on, my first reaction to the news of Wonder Woman being in this film was one of disappointment. The character deserves her own film and one produced with as much money/marketing as any previous superhero interpretation on the big screen.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I want her to have a minor role then immediately have a solo film.