Why haven't there Been Any Female Solo Superhero Movie Hits?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Tell me what you guys think:

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OutlawRenegade

Hunger Games proves people are okay with female leads, but female-based superhero films haven't been good so far.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JSH92

I guess they just aren't as appealing. Although, I loved the Wonder Woman animated movie. It's my favorite of the DC Animated Original Movies. But, of course that doesn't really count in the realm of live-action films.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe wait for the Black Widow movie from Marvel ?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

Because Hollywood is under the mistaken impression that we don't want female action leads. Because apparently they've forgotten Alien, Aliens, and Terminator 2. And are blind to recent female action flicks like Salt and Hunger Games. So, when we do get female-led superhero films, they're terribad flicks like Elektra and Catwoman because hollywood doesn't understand why we like these characters. How do we not have a Wonder Woman film yet? It's basically God of War + Xena Warrior Princess. Are you really telling me that won't sell, hollywood?

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By tupiaz

Well first of there aren’t that many popular female characters. How many besides Wonder Woman has her own book and have had one for a long time? It seems most female characters works as partners to a male characters or are based in teams. So logical if you don’t have solo book it is harder to get a movie. Why Wonder Woman hasn’t got a movie jet is beyond me. Not a fan of the character myself (however I would like to read Hiketeia) but she has a huge fan base and following and could work as a movie.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SUNMAN

@OutlawRenegade said:

Hunger Games proves people are okay with female leads, but female-based superhero films haven't been good so far.

We knew female leads were successful long before hunger games.

As someone familiar the industry I'd say a lot of studio executives are very old fashioned in their thinking.

Also as far as superheroine movies go. It's not like we haven't had them. Elektra and Catwoman were made (I actually went to see Catwoman and theaters).

Will get more in the future. But studios will likely have some trepidation in making them. Unless there is a big time A list celebrity attached to the film or its being adapted from a best seller book or critically acclaimed graphic novel studio heads are going to be very hesitant in making a movie.

don't expect a solo Black Widow movie anytime soon or even expect one at all unless her popularity really starts to pick up enough to convince marvel.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By moywar700

The only Superheroine film hollywood would give a 200$ million dollar budget is Wonder Woman but they are very hesitant of that. Supergirl has a fairly low chance even much lower then Wonder Woman and she has to piggy back ride off of Superman.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By chalkshark

What it boils down to is that there really aren't enough actresses that can anchor a film and guarantee a solid box office return. Angelina Jolie is the only one that readily comes to mind, and Hollywood squeezed two Tomb Raider films, and the female lead in Wanted out of her before she was too old to cast in those kinds of roles.

You could argue that the character alone would be enough to ensure big numbers at the box office, but that's just not the case. When millions of dollars are at risk, it's not unreasonable to play things safe. A movie like the Dark Knight gives a studio confidence in taking that financial risk with a comic property. Movies like Superman Returns and Green Lantern give the studio cold feet. Even Marvel, who has had fantastic success with their films, isn't pushing a Black Widow movie yet. Yeah, there's talk. Yeah, Scarlett Johansen would love to do it. Marvel, though, isn't pursuing it. They're sticking to what they know works, while taking the risk with Guardians of the Galaxy, and Antman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recognizable franchises Marvel and DC have are male dominated solo and team titles, it should be expected that the studios and filmmakers to start with the ones with the greatest chance of success. There will come a point when the Avengers and Batmans have run their course and someone will take a shot with a lower tier franchise, including female characters.

I think until we reach the point where a serious budget ($75 mil +) and a recognizable and talented cast both behind and in front of the camera are given a shot, none of us know how they will do. Neither Elektra or Catwoman fit this bill and they suffered accordingly, they were terrible movies, and by no means should be used as proof that the concept is destined for failure.

Blade proved that you can take a lesser known IP and if your take strikes a chord with the audience you can get by without a $200 mil budget. If the right people are in place, the Wonder Womans and Ms Marvels could have a movie worth making.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Blood1991

Wonder Woman NEEDS a movie, and A Storm Origins, Black Widow or even a She Hulk movie should be considered.

I think the Runaways would be a great starting movie for female leads as well as teenage heroes.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone

@fodigg said:

Because Hollywood is under the mistaken impression that we don't want female action leads. Because apparently they've forgotten Alien, Aliens, and Terminator 2. And are blind to recent female action flicks like Salt and Hunger Games. So, when we do get female-led superhero films, they're terribad flicks like Elektra and Catwoman because hollywood doesn't understand why we like these characters. How do we not have a Wonder Woman film yet? It's basically God of War + Xena Warrior Princess. Are you really telling me that won't sell, hollywood?

this

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By fps_dean

If they made a movie with a superheroine and did a really good job it should do good. Wonder Woman would be a prime candidate for such a movie...

Elektra was a pretty crappy movie IMO, and also isn't the character for a blockbuster. I agree that Black Widow has potential, and Ms. Marvel (or Captain Marvel) would have potential to be a big seller and promote the character as well if they did it right. That's the kind of character they want to work with.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Malonius

@Blood1991: I agree about Runaways. That would be an awesome movie that would bring in a whole different audience to the Marvel movie universe if it was done right and marketed right.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dernman

Because girls are yucky and they have cooties. >:(

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By arnoldoaad

you are leaving out on of the wost superhero movies ever made

SUPERGIRL

No Caption Provided

If you havent seen this movie, the moral for women is something very confusing, in fact, as funny(or tragic) as it sounds, every single man in this movie wants to rape supergirl, it is very very bizarre

as for why there hasnt been any good female superhero movies, we i think you can expand that to why hasnt there hasnt been huge successful comics starting female characters

there is obviously a market and a capacity to make strong female characters that arent just the "strong independent woman" not only in comics but in other markets but there just hasnt been any big ones in Comics

how come WW hasnt had a movie ever even despite having her own TV series?

Its probably cause the producers dont feel enough confidence to explore other possibilities even when the market is strong for superhero movies

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Malonius: I would love to see a Runaways movie

Mieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mieux

@haydenclaireheroes said:

@Malonius: I would love to see a Runaways movie

I think one is actually in production, or at least should be. They had open casting auditions, CV posted about them a long while back. Almost auditioned for Gert, myself.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Bruxae

Seems studios mostly want their movies to appeal to a male crowd, if thats justified or not is not up to me to decide, but it certainly looks that way when the few female lead movies out there tend to cast the woman as a sex object in some way.. Its the same in comics really with very few exceptions.

Swordsman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Swordsman83

elektra ? catwoman ? although both movie sucks.