Why hasn't Wonder Woman got a movie yet?

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ximpossibrux

Seriously...

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JulieDC

I think its partly because DC is still a bit gun-shy doing movies that aren't about Batman or Superman after the Green Lantern debacle. But I also think its because you can't rush these things either and its not like DC is churning out that many movies anyways.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

First all WB/DC did release two female superheroine movies, Supergirl and Catwoman, either of one set fire on the box office. So you can understand why their weary of releasing Wonder Woman movie. Also Warners has also has had difficulties of find a vision of character that sticks, I read their three Flash scripts, all somewhat mixed and couldn't pin down The Flash to his core(One was written by Goyer, One by the guys who do Arrow and another by a guy I couldn't remember but it was close but far off.) Clearly they want a director who envisions these characters (not just Wonder Woman but everybody else) in a exciting way (And clearly even Joss Wheldon's version of Wonder Woman didn't do that either). So I guess they want to find another Donner or Nolan, someone with a clear vision or a fresh one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would most likely be a flop and they don't need to. They are a business they care about making money primarily and to make money they put out what people will buy. And people will buy tickets to batman and superman movies so they don't need to make one for her. Wonder woman fans may want it but you never see non comic fans complaining about wonder woman movies

Avatar image for the_master_of_darkness
The_Master_of_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has a super heroine movie ever been successful?

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I dont think it would flop considering Wonder Woman is one of the top favorited heroes in DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhurong: So is green lantern and that was poorly received. General audiences do not care about wonder woman.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_master_of_darkness
The_Master_of_Darkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: that Green Lantern movie sucked I think a WW movie has the potential to be as good as a Thor movie

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Because she is owned by Warner Bros. and their attitude to making a WW movies is:

Waaa! It's difficult! She's a woman!

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

First all WB/DC did release two female superheroine movies, Supergirl and Catwoman, either of one set fire on the box office. So you can understand why their weary of releasing Wonder Woman movie. Also Warners has also has had difficulties of find a vision of character that sticks, I read their three Flash scripts, all somewhat mixed and couldn't pin down The Flash to his core(One was written by Goyer, One by the guys who do Arrow and another by a guy I couldn't remember but it was close but far off.) Clearly they want a director who envisions these characters (not just Wonder Woman but everybody else) in a exciting way (And clearly even Joss Wheldon's version of Wonder Woman didn't do that either). So I guess they want to find another Donner or Nolan, someone with a clear vision or a fresh one.

Supergirl was 25 years ago! it has no impact at all on the current state of female lead risks.

The reason, as has been said before is that Wonder Woman is not called Batman or Superman. Its sad but true, unless the little role in Bats/Supes sets the world on fire, I doubt that there will be a solo movie. At least not before flash. I'd wager that we will see SHAZAM! on the cinema posters before WW.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator

Risk/versus profit.

Wonder Woman is a very iconic, beloved and popular character. She's a superhero. She's a warrior. She's a woman. There are different aspects of her that should make her both potentially extremely successful in movie format but also a very risky venture. So based on how well she could sell as a franchise and part player in bigger franchises, not just now but in the future versus how bad they could damage her character's marketability…

So her popularity can be a hindrance as well. When Elektra was released, I am pretty sure those involved in that movie weren't expecting Elektra to generate as much money or get as many people going to see her as a Batman or Superman movie. With Wonder Woman, it could be expected that she could potentially draw numbers and profit similar to those characters, or at least closer to them than Elektra. Depending on the budget. Do they budget for Wonder Woman like they do for Thor? Or Superman? Or Elektra? How they budget will affect the movie and potential profits. Then its worth remembering that Wonder Woman is a Justice League character too, so you don't want to tarnish the character with a flop because you might need her to have a strong presence to help sell a JLA movie.

There is still risk involved, and unfortunately say for Elektra even with modest plans with her, her movie didn't perform well enough and I think those plans were scrapped. She is also not really associated with a big team book. Basically I suspect that WB knows they can make a lot of money with a Wonder Woman film, but there is a lot of pressure because of that. Pressure which could break or make all those involved with its making (director, producer, main actress) where as say Iron Man, Thor, they never really had that same pressure. They arguably exceeded expectations. Risks paid off. Now its created a funny situation where because of Avengers movie success there could be a bit more pressure on a Black Widow Scar Jo solo movie because she'd be expected to draw more money than say prior to Avengers. I hear rumors off a Hulk movie because the character was so enjoyable in Avengers, so potentially if audiences react the same way to Wonder Woman in Batman/Superman, that might give WB indication to risk it and give her movies.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@sc said:

Risk/versus profit.

Wonder Woman is a very icon, beloved and popular character. She's a superhero. She's a warrior. She's a woman. There are different aspects of her that should make her both potentially extremely successful in movie format but also a very risky venture. So based on how well she could sell as a franchise and part player in bigger franchises, not just now but in the future versus how bad they could damage her character's marketability…

So her popularity can be a hindrance as well. When Elektra was released, I am pretty sure those involved in that movie weren't expecting Elektra to generate as much money or get as many people going to see her as a Batman or Superman movie. With Wonder Woman, it could be expected that she could potentially draw numbers and profit similar to those characters, or at least closer to them than Elektra. Depending on the budget. Do they budget for Wonder Woman like they do for Thor? Or Superman? Or Elektra? How they budget will affect the movie and potential profits. Then its worth remembering that Wonder Woman is a Justice League character too, so you don't want to tarnish the character with a flop because you might need her to have a strong presence to help sell a JLA movie.

There is still risk involved, and unfortunately say for Elektra even with modest plans with her, her movie didn't perform well enough and I think those plans were scrapped. She is also not really associated with a big team book. Basically I suspect that WB knows they can make a lot of money with a Wonder Woman film, but there is a lot of pressure because of that. Pressure which could break or make all those involved with its making (director, producer, main actress) where as say Iron Man, Thor, they never really had that same pressure. They arguably exceeded expectations. Risks paid off. Now its created a funny situation where because of Avengers movie success there could be a bit more pressure on a Black Widow Scar Jo solo movie because she'd be expected to draw more money than say prior to Avengers. I hear rumors off a Hulk movie because the character was so enjoyable in Avengers, so potentially if audiences react the same way to Wonder Woman in Batman/Superman, that might give WB indication to risk it and give her movies.

Dis.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo WB/DC has no idea what they are doing outside of Batman ans Superman as far as live action feature films. This is backed up by the dismal Green Lantern film. They should have let Josh Whedon bring Wondy to the big screen 5-6 years ago or however long ago it was.

I'm interest to see what Zack Synder does with the character in Batman vs Superman ( or whatever the hell the film is going to be called) seeing how he did bring strong female characters to the big screen in Sucker Punch and Silk Spectre in Watchmen.

90mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 90mv

@jayc1324: Green Lantern flopped because it sucked . Actually you would be surprised.

If there's any superhero movie that's going to make money, it would be Wonder Woman. WB are just scared to touch it, which I get in a way.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@90mv: that is the same exact point I made atleast someone agrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhurong: Yeah maybe as good as a thor movie. Maybe a little less. But them there's the problem of getting people to go see it because people outside of comic fans don't want a wonder woman movie. And gal gadot better be amazing in mos 2 if they are planning on making money with her in the role.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They're working on it, literally as we speak. Stop asking.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Why haven't you written WB the 200-300m dollar check to make the movie?

People act like its 100% guaranteed to make money and there's no risk involved.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Though I realize you're making a joke. They're also 10+ movies in. And they even haven't tried to put a female lead solo film yet either. And won't for a few years, at least. They're doing Ant-Man before that. Ant-Man.

They're even doing GotG before another Hulk movie because Hulk is too risky. (zing)

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: LOL! Gotta agree there. WB/DC is either too scared to take the risk or just don't know how to do it. That's probably another reason why Diana is debuting in the MOS sequel, as a testing ground to see how people react to her versus just dropping a WW feature right out of the gate. They seem to always revert back to Bats N' Supes, which I can understand seeing those two are their biggest cash cows, and when they did step outside the box with Green Lantern it was a clusterf*ck.

Imo WB/ DC lacks a sense of direction when it comes to their live action big budget films involving their comic characters. Idk, seems like finally after years and years they've anointed Zack Snyder to quarterback their cinematic universe on the big screen.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because nobody at DC has Netflix so they can't watch Xena reruns. What channel is "The Hub"? Maybe that will help.

Sky_Pirate2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sky_Pirate2

@lyrafay: Actually, Supergirl was released by TriStar. Warners was originaly going to distribute the movie, but backed out after the lackluster reception of Superman III. So, Warner Brothers has only released one Superhero movie, Catwoman.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the reception she gets from the batman and superman movie. If all goes well she will get her own movie.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just because WB/DC is late into making their universe doesn't mean we won't see a Wonder Woman film, just give it some time damn...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ccraft
Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: No I know you didn't lol, it's just a joke that has become stale...have seen it everywhere...annoying really.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it wasn't a priority of Warner until last year.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Her story isn't THAT interesting?

Because if it isn't Batman related tHen DC doesn't care about it?

Because Batman's been carrying DC for decades and every otHer cHaracter is expandable?

June'sVeryOwn

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because WB won't take risks with anyone other than Batman and Superman.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I find this meme funny because the only reason the Guardians of the Galaxy are even getting a movie is because Marvel doesn't own the film rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. We all know if Marvel had the rights to their more popular characters GOTG and Ant-Man would not be getting movies.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@theacidskull said:

@jack_donaghy: It's also a joke post.

I know but I'm just saying people in general crap on DC for not giving lesser know characters movies like Marvel does. When Marvel would most likely use Spider-Man and Wolverine/the X-Men the way DC uses Batman and Superman if they had their film rights.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

This is very silly when did GOTG arrive in comic books, what was 2007/8 and Wonder Woman has been around since the 1940s, its a silly comparison. I'm sure WB would love to do a Wonder Woman movie but of course you've got risks and of course whether it can make any money back. Yes of course we want a Wonder Woman movie but Marvel hasn't done a female superheroine movie either.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By those_eyes

They will decide to make a movie depending on the reception of wonder woman in the superman and batman movie.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have some patience people geez.... WB/DC have just started their universe with MoS, WW film is imminent, WW is going to be in MoS2 so lets not say WB/DC is too afraid or too stupid to make good movies because their not.

@lyrafay: It's a joke.

People still after you about that! lol

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not good enough.