Why everybody should read Francesco Francavilla's Black Beetle: No Way Out?!

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Edited By LyraFay

Rather than usual reviews that is on this site, I want explore reasons on why people should read the apparent book, movie or TV show. I've already previously done this withWhy everybody should read Paul Pope's Battling Boy?!But now I have a new book, Black Beetle: No Way Out by Francesco Francavilla.

Old School meets the New
Old School meets the New

Who is The Black Beetle?

Well first of all he's creator owned character inspired by the pulp characters such The Spirit, The Shadow, The Spider and even a bit of Batman. All make this character a wonderful old school but refreshing character among the usual company owned characters of the comic industry.

However there's a wonderful catch to Black Beetle, his real identity behind the costume is ever revealed. We see bits and pieces of his "true identity," but not much considering in even scenes when he's out of the costume, he's still lying to the reader and the population of Colt City.

This sake of not having an real identity, may also explain his tendency of using violence which is shown through out of the book. I can tell you that he doesn't have no-gun law like Batman and certainly will kill like the Punisher if he's willing to, which again makes him feel cool and new in the world of PG-13 heroes.

The Story

Now Showing Black Beetle: No Way Out
Now Showing Black Beetle: No Way Out

As I previously mentioned the Black Beetle is inspired the heroes of American past. And that is the case of the story itself which mixes Detective Noir, pulp and the occasional of science-fiction and horror. There are technically two stories that are going on here, the first one Night Shift (which involves an almost Hellboy plot of Nazi Werewolves and an ancient Egyptian Cult whilst taking place at a museum) and the other which the volume takes it's name from, No Way Out which deals with our titular hero taking on the mob. However Night Shift is dotted throughout the main story, No Way Out as an movie intermissions where we slowly see elements of the cult and the Nazis play throughout the haunting landscape of Colt City. I don't want to reveal too much of the story but it does leave you hanging before pulling you again especially since it feels like you're watching a movie rather than reading a graphic novel.

The Art

Black Beetle: Fantastic Art
Black Beetle: Fantastic Art

If you are familiar with the art of Francesco Francavilla, you know that his art is cinematic. And that is certainly the case here.

From the interesting use of colours, such as black, orange and yellow to give the hero's city, Colt City a dark but sepia tone of 1920s-1930s movies. Seriously Francavilla's city could give Frank Miller's Basin city, a running for best use of colours in noir setting.

Not only that the design of some of the panels is also fantastic including making entire pages look like jigsaws when the Black Beetle's nemesis, Labyrinto is describing his plan and eventual back story.

Even Labyrinto's own design is fantastic on its own right and is so trippy that you'll get dizzy looking at him. I won't show it but you must read this book to find out what he looks like!!

And in an added bonus, Francavilla has put lots of sketches, concepts and lobby cards (which I previously put above) within in the back pages of the hardcover version of the book. I admit when it came to the lobby cards, I wanted to cut them out and taking them to a cinema, they are that wonderful not to do it.

So if......

Your looking something that is still superheroish but that returns to an age of pulp and old radio dramas. Then read this. Or if you want to try something different other than your usual comic fare then read this. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I'll give it a shot if you think so highly of it.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I plan to, its in a list of things to get eventually

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I have issue 1 and I thought it was one of the best things ever. I haven't been able to find the rest of series though and it really upsets me.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: It's in trade now!! Totally worth it, if you want get the cool bonus staff in the back of the book.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Read it. loved it. Would read it again.

Seriously, Franc needs to do more of this.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed! He told me on twitter he's got more Black Beetle coming!!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Nice. He's one of my favourite artists of all time.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

@arturocalakayvee: It's in trade now!! Totally worth it, if you want get the cool bonus staff in the back of the book.

I might just have to do that. It really is one of those series that you just NEED to spread the word for.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You convinced me! I just ordered it off of amazon.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay said:

I might just have to do that. It really is one of those series that you just NEED to spread the word for.

Yeah I think it does considering it was on a lot of "best of," lists from last year.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This series is great :D thanks for doing this

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TimeLordScience
LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Hmmm, well for superhero I would recommend Young Avengers by Kieron GIllen (ended) and Wonder Woman (ongoing). And for non-superhero I would recommend Transmetropolitan (cyberpunk political thriller; ended) and FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics (ongoing)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Ooh Ooh if we are doing requests then i say Velvet by Ed Brubaker.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LyraFay

@lyrafay: Ooh Ooh if we are doing requests then i say Velvet by Ed Brubaker.

Yeah I want to read that one! I love Ed Brubaker's Catwoman, so will probably read this!!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ok, we'll I know what my next purchase is going to be.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: You won't regret it! (And also Francesco read my blog post and put it on his twitter!)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@lyrafay: Whoa, this caught the attention of Francaviila himself? That is awesome.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers