Why don't comic book writers write comic book movies?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Personal I have no clue why. They use the excuse "It's a different media" bu!!4#!t. If you read the scripts for comics there not far from movie scripts. At least if say Geoff Johns wrote a Superhero movie, you would know the script will be good and it would be down to the actors.

So why do you hardly ever see them writing movies?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
Supreme Marvel said:
"Personal I have no clue why. They use the excuse "It's a different media" bu!!4#!t. If you read the scripts for comics there not far from movie scripts. At least if say Geoff Johns wrote a Superhero movie, you would know the script will be good and it would be down to the actors.

So why do you hardly ever see them writing movies?"
Because it's a completely different media. I have a degree in screenwriting (i also teach that and comic book writing at the college level) and currently write comics and I can assure you they are two completely different medias. It's like asking a novelist to write a screenplay or comic. (I was also a member of the WGA during the strike, my membership ran out then)

Movie scripts and comic scripts are very different from each other. Comic scripts are a lot more free flowing and about setting up each panel. There are many different ways to write a comic script. Comic scripts really are a mixed media, you're thinking about the artwork in each panel as you write, even though you may not be doing the art yourself.

Screenwriting is the Nazi Regime of writing... There is only ONE way to write a screenplay, any other way is wrong. In fact, you need special programs just to write one. I write all my comic scripts in Word, I have to write all my screenplays in final draft. Screenwriting is about making everything perfect and precise. Get into the scene quickly, write dialogue/action, get out. Screenwriters think a lot more about dialogue than anything, and will have no say what the actual filming will look like. There's a lot less creativity involved than you think. One huge no-no is writing in camera shots/notes to directors.

Overall, writing comic books is a lot easier and you get a lot more credit. Don't believe me? Name a screenwriter that is not a writer/director (or david goyer) that you really like... I'll wait while you all cheat and go on imdb.