#1 Posted by jhazzroucher (15798 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, i was thinking Hulkling and Wiccan didn't have a problem with their relationship. Same with Northstar who just got married.

What I'm trying to say is that gays also have difficulties like when they fall in love especially with a straight guy who doesn't want to have a relationship with them, or maybe the guy might just go with it but still says he likes girls more or for as long as the guy also gets something too, and maybe some characters would actually tease the gay that he's gay, or another girl would actually feel jealous cos the gay got the guy that she likes, etc

is it just too sensitive to write something like that that they just give them a happy life right away?

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Northstar 's marriage is going to be hitting problems soon

#3 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

#4 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: I agree. A character is defined by the trials of life.

#5 Edited by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

I think JonSmith is right in the sense that it's the newest 'evil' that takes center stage. Video games are a good example. Nowadays, its easy to point the finger at a video game and claim that it's a modern day portal to hell, but before then it was tabletop RPGs like DnD, before that it was probably TV, then Radio, then Movies, and so on and so forth. Chances are, there probably was social tension over homosexuality, but then someone with a superpower came along and suddenly being gay wasn't so bad; at least you weren't shooting lasers out of your eyes because of your more-than-likely satanic powers.

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (15798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jhazzroucher: Northstar 's marriage is going to be hitting problems soon

I see. thanks for the info.

@JonSmith said:

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

but it would make them more real. This is what happens in real life, they're still being discriminated or there will always be somebody who would be against it. and as for liking men, they don't always get them, especially real love.

#7 Posted by jhazzroucher (15798 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

@jhazzroucher: I agree. A character is defined by the trials of life.

thank you. : )

#8 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jhazzroucher: Northstar 's marriage is going to be hitting problems soon

Like Liu's writing?

#9 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Karma did have a crush on Kitty for a while when they were both in college together and apparently even expressed her feelings to her which caused Kitty to distance herself.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@jhazzroucher: Northstar 's marriage is going to be hitting problems soon

Like Liu's writing?

Touché

#11 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

but it would make them more real. This is what happens in real life, they're still being discriminated or there will always be somebody who would be against it. and as for liking men, they don't always get them, especially real love.

Allow me rephrase what I said: If a person hates people who are different from the established norm, in this case, homosexuals, and said homosexuals also happen to toss lightning around, or turn green, scaly, and toss cars, which would it be smarter to state as 'wrong' in modern day (comic!) society?

The homosexuality? Which is fairly well regarded as just normal these days in our generation, and thus the hater is likely to get ostracized and generally hated on themselves.

Or the superpowers? For which there is already much precedent in the SRA, the MRA, the general fear and hatred of mutants all around, the constant invasions making fear of aliens completely justified, etc.

Why are superheroic gays not picked on in comics? Because anybody who would hate on them or try to cause their life problems BECAUSE they're gay, is smart enough to mask it as 'because they're superpowered freaks!'.

Was that a bit more clear?

#12 Posted by cameron83 (7318 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: well I forgot his name,but he had a past girlfriend (I believe it was called a beard,whatever the hell that means),but was actually gay.

#13 Posted by jhazzroucher (15798 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: i know what you mean but not everybody accepts it. and Marvel is like writing them as if they have an easy life.

#14 Posted by Pyrogram (38459 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher: Do gays in real life not? I thought society was more open now... =/

#15 Edited by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

#16 Posted by JediXMan (30616 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

Considering no married couple in comics has lasted (aside from Reed and Sue), I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to show problems.

Moderator
#17 Posted by cameron83 (7318 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

and in some occasions.this.

i wouldn't recommend that they do it anyways,because everytime any characters go through problems,fans will always throw a fit.

#18 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

Well that's a bit of a double edged sword. If we really want gays to have complete equality, portrayals of strained relationships are part of that desired equality. Otherwise it's putting gay relationships on a pedestal and implies they are better than straight relationships.

#19 Edited by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

but it would make them more real. This is what happens in real life, they're still being discriminated or there will always be somebody who would be against it. and as for liking men, they don't always get them, especially real love.

Allow me rephrase what I said: If a person hates people who are different from the established norm, in this case, homosexuals, and said homosexuals also happen to toss lightning around, or turn green, scaly, and toss cars, which would it be smarter to state as 'wrong' in modern day (comic!) society?

The homosexuality? Which is fairly well regarded as just normal these days in our generation, and thus the hater is likely to get ostracized and generally hated on themselves.

Or the superpowers? For which there is already much precedent in the SRA, the MRA, the general fear and hatred of mutants all around, the constant invasions making fear of aliens completely justified, etc.

Why are superheroic gays not picked on in comics? Because anybody who would hate on them or try to cause their life problems BECAUSE they're gay, is smart enough to mask it as 'because they're superpowered freaks!'.

Was that a bit more clear?

I pretty much agree with this

"Honey, did you see that?"

"Yes, I DID! He just sent that entire bus station into another dimension!"

"No darling! I mean those two dudes just made out!! What is this world coming to?!"

Priorities, priorities, priorities