Why doesn't Marvel give their gay characters a hard time?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

Well, i was thinking Hulkling and Wiccan didn't have a problem with their relationship. Same with Northstar who just got married.

What I'm trying to say is that gays also have difficulties like when they fall in love especially with a straight guy who doesn't want to have a relationship with them, or maybe the guy might just go with it but still says he likes girls more or for as long as the guy also gets something too, and maybe some characters would actually tease the gay that he's gay, or another girl would actually feel jealous cos the gay got the guy that she likes, etc

is it just too sensitive to write something like that that they just give them a happy life right away?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jhazzroucher: Northstar 's marriage is going to be hitting problems soon

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JonSmith

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By gravitypress

@jhazzroucher: I agree. A character is defined by the trials of life.

ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArticulateT

I think JonSmith is right in the sense that it's the newest 'evil' that takes center stage. Video games are a good example. Nowadays, its easy to point the finger at a video game and claim that it's a modern day portal to hell, but before then it was tabletop RPGs like DnD, before that it was probably TV, then Radio, then Movies, and so on and so forth. Chances are, there probably was social tension over homosexuality, but then someone with a superpower came along and suddenly being gay wasn't so bad; at least you weren't shooting lasers out of your eyes because of your more-than-likely satanic powers.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I see. thanks for the info.

@JonSmith said:

Probably because if you're going to pick on someone for being abnormal or whatever, the fact that they have FREAKING SUPERPOWERS is probably a bit more prevalent than their sexual orientation.

but it would make them more real. This is what happens in real life, they're still being discriminated or there will always be somebody who would be against it. and as for liking men, they don't always get them, especially real love.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhazzroucher

@gravitypress said:

@jhazzroucher: I agree. A character is defined by the trials of life.

thank you. : )

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By John Valentine

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Like Liu's writing?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC

Karma did have a crush on Kitty for a while when they were both in college together and apparently even expressed her feelings to her which caused Kitty to distance herself.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@John Valentine said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Like Liu's writing?

Touché

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

@jhazzroucher said:

but it would make them more real. This is what happens in real life, they're still being discriminated or there will always be somebody who would be against it. and as for liking men, they don't always get them, especially real love.

Allow me rephrase what I said: If a person hates people who are different from the established norm, in this case, homosexuals, and said homosexuals also happen to toss lightning around, or turn green, scaly, and toss cars, which would it be smarter to state as 'wrong' in modern day (comic!) society?

The homosexuality? Which is fairly well regarded as just normal these days in our generation, and thus the hater is likely to get ostracized and generally hated on themselves.

Or the superpowers? For which there is already much precedent in the SRA, the MRA, the general fear and hatred of mutants all around, the constant invasions making fear of aliens completely justified, etc.

Why are superheroic gays not picked on in comics? Because anybody who would hate on them or try to cause their life problems BECAUSE they're gay, is smart enough to mask it as 'because they're superpowered freaks!'.

Was that a bit more clear?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cameron83

@jhazzroucher: well I forgot his name,but he had a past girlfriend (I believe it was called a beard,whatever the hell that means),but was actually gay.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jhazzroucher

@JonSmith: i know what you mean but not everybody accepts it. and Marvel is like writing them as if they have an easy life.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Pyrogram

@jhazzroucher: Do gays in real life not? I thought society was more open now... =/

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ZEELLO

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@ZEELLO said:

you reeeeally cant put gays in a strained relationship, it will imply that gay relationships are broken by default, or inferior to straight relationships

Considering no married couple in comics has lasted (aside from Reed and Sue), I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to show problems.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cameron83

@ZEELLO said:

and in some occasions.this.

i wouldn't recommend that they do it anyways,because everytime any characters go through problems,fans will always throw a fit.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Matchstick

@ZEELLO said:

Well that's a bit of a double edged sword. If we really want gays to have complete equality, portrayals of strained relationships are part of that desired equality. Otherwise it's putting gay relationships on a pedestal and implies they are better than straight relationships.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@JonSmith said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Allow me rephrase what I said: If a person hates people who are different from the established norm, in this case, homosexuals, and said homosexuals also happen to toss lightning around, or turn green, scaly, and toss cars, which would it be smarter to state as 'wrong' in modern day (comic!) society?

The homosexuality? Which is fairly well regarded as just normal these days in our generation, and thus the hater is likely to get ostracized and generally hated on themselves.

Or the superpowers? For which there is already much precedent in the SRA, the MRA, the general fear and hatred of mutants all around, the constant invasions making fear of aliens completely justified, etc.

Why are superheroic gays not picked on in comics? Because anybody who would hate on them or try to cause their life problems BECAUSE they're gay, is smart enough to mask it as 'because they're superpowered freaks!'.

Was that a bit more clear?

I pretty much agree with this

"Honey, did you see that?"

"Yes, I DID! He just sent that entire bus station into another dimension!"

"No darling! I mean those two dudes just made out!! What is this world coming to?!"

Priorities, priorities, priorities