This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the title says Why doesnt Batman have armor. A couple of weeks ago or however long it was I asked why doesnt Bats have any armor. I think it would make way more sense for someone like Batman to have armor when fighting people like Darkseid instead of running around in tights and with Batarangs. Batman is a character who is supposed to be prepared for anything yet I have never seen him with armor. Minus the Insider suit. If Tony Stark and Pete can have armor why cant Bats or even GA for that matter. Im quite sure they should have the resources to have armor built for them.

Anyway Does anyone else think he should have armor why or why not? Also list possible reasons why he doesnt have armor?

#2 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (6572 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense to me. Once he pulled out the Insider Armor why go back to the regular costume?
Modify the armor to more closely resemble the Bat motif and keep it moving.

#3 Edited by htb106 (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

if you've been reading recent batman you'd know it'd help him because of all the times the talon stabbed him

you'd think if he got armor he'd ditch the cape say he's running from a burning building and he trips on the cape and knocks himself unconcius

#4 Posted by TheOptimist (740 posts) - - Show Bio

See Batman #8. Armor kids. Hardcore armor. So cool.

#5 Posted by fodigg (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has many different variations of armor. He tends to go with the lower-end stuff unless necessary for stealth and mobility. But when he needs more armor--such as when a bunch of Talons invade his home--he busts out the big stuff (spoilers Batman #8):

#6 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (12103 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: But why doesn't he use Armor like that more often. I mean I'm not saying that he needs it, But I'm pretty sure it would at least protect him better from super powered threats.
#7 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

@fodigg: But why doesn't he use Armor like that more often. I mean I'm not saying that he needs it, But I'm pretty sure it would at least protect him better from super powered threats.

My point exactly.

#8 Posted by The_Martian (37399 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

It's not his style. Batman is a stealth character. You aren't very stealthy if you are running around in a tank.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (24325 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Martian: But how is driving around in an array of bat themed vehicles stealthy? Why not stick to grappling across rooftops? There are health and safety issues with that admittedly.

#10 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (12103 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Martian said:

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

It's not his style. Batman is a stealth character. You aren't very stealthy if you are running around in a tank.

True. But couldn't he just take it off when he needs to be "Stealthy"? I don't see why armor would be such a bad thing. I mean I wouldn't mind if Batman wore armor from time to time. He's a human being he has to have some protection from super powered villains.
#11 Posted by The_Martian (37399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Batman's vehicles are designed for stealth unless you watch his newest movies which actually is a tank.

#12 Posted by Vortex13 (12138 posts) - - Show Bio

Any armor, even light armor, drastically hinders your mobility. And like others have said he's a stealth character so he needs as much mobility as he can get. I also thought (at least in recent years) that it was stated he did have armor built into his suit just not a heavy duty kind that would damage his mobility.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (24325 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Martian: I have indeed. The Nolan films Batmobile is about as subtle as an elephant in a kitchen. Then again Tim Burton's Batmobile was pretty ostentatious now I think about it.

#14 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

Any armor, even light armor, drastically hinders your mobility. And like others have said he's a stealth character so he needs as much mobility as he can get. I also thought (at least in recent years) that it was stated he did have armor built into his suit just not a heavy duty kind that would damage his mobility.

Yes Batman is a stealth character BUT stealth and light armor will not protect him from people like Darkseid. Besides if Bat's is such a stealth character then why has he been running round a night with sidekicks(minus Tim and Jason) in bright green. Last time I checked green isnt a very stealthy color

#15 Edited by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman does wear armor his main suit has limited armor built in and the when he goes up against threats where more armor is needed like Darkseid or Amazo it's usually with the justice league by his side and he lets them do the major fighting. @redbird3rdboywonder: Batman isn't prepared for everything but does have a plan for almost everything which are two different but related concepts and the main reason he doesn't wear armor is his main level of opponent doesn't warrant it so he would rather sacrifice protection for agility and mobility.@WaveMotionCannon: The Insider Suit was made solely to test those around him to make sure they where worthy of wearing their costumes and would be overkill in most Batman comics and against someone like Darkseid his suit would be useless since it has several limitations that would hinder him.

#16 Posted by vicioushero (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman is ridiculous. He doesn't have any powers, but he is way overpowered. Do you know what I mean?

#17 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been saying this for years. Iron Man did it. And Batman is just as smart and rich as Iron Man.

#18 Edited by fodigg (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

My point exactly.

He uses gadgets instead. Think about it, if his choice is to:

• Climb into a suit of armor that will weigh him down and maybe stop a super-powered punch, or
  • Hang a simple gadget on his belt--sonic generator or something--that will stop super-powered threats cold,

--why would he go with the armor? It's not until he can slim down the armor to the point where it's protection and gadgetry mixed together (i.e., Batman Beyond) that he opts to go that route. He's not war machine, that's not where he's most effective.

When he really needs an upgrade, he climbs into the batplane and nukes it from orbit anyway.

#19 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazinglover said:

Batman does wear armor his main suit has limited armor built in and the when he goes up against threats where more armor is needed like Darkseid or Amazo it's usually with the justice league by his side and he lets them do the major fighting. @redbird3rdboywonder: Batman isn't prepared for everything but does have a plan for almost everything which are two different but related concepts and the main reason he doesn't wear armor is his main level of opponent doesn't warrant it so he would rather sacrifice protection for agility and mobility.@WaveMotionCannon: The Insider Suit was made solely to test those around him to make sure they where worthy of wearing their costumes and would be overkill in most Batman comics and against someone like Darkseid his suit would be useless since it has several limitations that would hinder him.

Ok granted you're right but again if he has a plan for everything then he should have plaaned some heavy armor for big threats and I now his main opponents dont warrant it but again when with the JLA and against major threats like Darkseid and Amazo armor could still be used. There's no assurance that the JLA will always be with him and even if they are any help major help he could give should be used. Bruce is a man who knows his limintations but at the same time isnt a wait and see kind of guy. Let's say for example Earth is invaded and most of the league is put down or they'e spread apart and Bats is the only one there it would make more sense for him to have armor and beating Darkseid(what If sceneario) than say shooting Darkseid with a radion bullet

#20 Posted by notquitevarsity (158 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder woman should wear armor too. but the writers don't want to change the look of these characters and the fans would probably be pissed too. It would make way more sense for batman to always wear the insider suit.

#21 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

My point exactly.

• Climb into a suit of armor that will weigh him down and maybe stop a super-powered punch, or
  • Hang a simple gadget on his belt--sonic generator or something--that will stop super-powered threats cold,

--why would he go with the armor? It's not until he can slim down the armor to the point where it's protection and gadgetry mixed together (i.e., Batman Beyond) that he opts to go that route. He's not war machine, that's not where he's most effective.

When he really needs an upgrade, he climbs into the batplane and nukes it from orbit anyway.

A sonic generator wont stop all Super powered threats and that Bat-plane is useless against Darkseid level characters. Its one of peoples main complaints about Batman being in the Justice League, the fact that Bat's seems to be invincble against powerful characters. As someone else posted he's almost an overpowered character yet he doesnt have any powers.

#22 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder: Read Tower of Babel or watch the recent Justice League Doom and you'll see how Batman doesn't need armor and how it's not in character for him to wear too much armor. Read Batman #8 he has armor and does use it but only when needed or situation calls for it. Read Justice League #6 where the league was occupied by Darkseid and Superman was being held he used stealth to go in and rescue Superman cause that was more in character. In short he does have armor he just limits it's use and not knowing what your Batman knowledge is but most of his time is spent in detective mode trying to figure out what the threat is pick up one of his trades and you'll see exactly what I mean.

#23 Edited by KidChipotle (14844 posts) - - Show Bio

HE DOESN'T NEED ARMOR!!!!!!!!!

#24 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1776 posts) - - Show Bio

Why wear armor when you can never die?

#25 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (12103 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

But why couldn't he wear when HE NEEDS IT. I understand that Batman has a whole array of gadgets that he uses. But you're making it sound like he could just whip out a batarang and solo Darkseid, SBP, and Zoom with it.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (18236 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

Because it would become boring incredibly fast.

#27 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94: He does wear it when needed read the most recent Batman #8

#28 Edited by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazinglover said:

@redbird3rdboywonder: Read Tower of Babel or watch the recent Justice League Doom and you'll see how Batman doesn't need armor and how it's not in character for him to wear too much armor. Read Batman #8 he has armor and does use it but only when needed or situation calls for it. Read Justice League #6 where the league was occupied by Darkseid and Superman was being held he used stealth to go in and rescue Superman cause that was more in character. In short he does have armor he just limits it's use and not knowing what your Batman knowledge is but most of his time is spent in detective mode trying to figure out what the threat is pick up one of his trades and you'll see exactly what I mean.

My point is this most of Batman's armor is built for his gallery of rouges and more human based type problems but at the same time would it really be out of character for him if he had wore some heavy armor for a special occasion. We've seen that Bat's has some Kryptonite in case Clark ever goes rouge but what if Supes goes rouge and a red sun geneartor or any kryptonite cant be accessed or isnt available. Take the newest eps of YJ for example let's say that their hadnt been none of Kal's weaknesses were available and instead everyone on Earth is gone and he's staring aat a mind controlled superman what will he do. We all no the Bats vs Superman is no competiton so why is it that Bruce faces Superman level charcters with gear meant for people like Joker ..etc. That's the only point im trying to make.

#29 Posted by cyberninja (10527 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember  the  Apokoliptian armor. 

#30 Posted by fodigg (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder: @GrandSymbiote94: As others have pointed out, when he does come across a situation where he needs it--and he has time to put it on--he wears it. What you're recommending is that he ignore all of his training and the advantages his default gear provides him in favor of always being prepared for the the most powerful possible opponent. It's rare that he actually faces those baddies, and when he does, would the armor really stop them? Would bat armor really do anything other than slow him down and get him killed? The bulky armor has disadvantages as well as advantages, it hampers his fighting style. And as for stopping someone like Darkseid with a gadget, that's exactly what he did in Final Crisis.

#31 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@redbird3rdboywonder: @GrandSymbiote94: As others have pointed out, when he does come across a situation where he needs it--and he has time to put it on--he wears it. What you're recommending is that he ignore all of his training and the advantages his default gear provides him in favor of always being prepared for the the most powerful possible opponent. It's rare that he actually faces those baddies, and when he does, would the armor really stop them? Would bat armor really do anything other than slow him down and get him killed? The bulky armor has disadvantages as well as advantages, it hampers his fighting style. And as for stopping someone like Darkseid with a gadget, that's exactly what he did in Final Crisis.

No im just saying that his default gear isnt really meant for pople outside of his rouges and yes I know its rare that he actually faces those baddies but facing them in spandex/ light protection armor is something he shouldnt do@amazinglover said:

See this is a rare instance that he uses it and against someone like the Talons yet we'll see him in the pages of a JL book trying to fight someone like Lobo or something with his standard gear. Im not saying that he needs overly bulky armor but i think its stupid that the "man who has a plan for everything" would plan to use his standard equipment against guys who could rip him in half

#32 Posted by Malonius (924 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder:

It's one of my pet peeves to see peak human characters fighting alongside planet busters in big battles so I can well agree that Batman should be wearing his powered armor more often, but consider this: For a zillion years Lex Luthor was trying to built a suit of armor to take on Superman and he never succeeded. I don't know if there is technology available to Bruce that would actually get him to the Superman/Darkseid level. Still, even if his armor wouldn't let him beat down Superman straight up, if it could allow him to survive a couple of minutes to set his contingency plan in motion it would be useful.

#33 Posted by tensor (6546 posts) - - Show Bio

That is not batman style the whole armor thing if that was the case they would continue with the insider suit which was damn cool, but that is now how mr wayne sell his comics we leave that too iron man

#34 Edited by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius said:

@redbird3rdboywonder:

It's one of my pet peeves to see peak human characters fighting alongside planet busters in big battles so I can well agree that Batman should be wearing his powered armor more often, but consider this: For a zillion years Lex Luthor was trying to built a suit of armor to take on Superman and he never succeeded. I don't know if there is technology available to Bruce that would actually get him to the Superman/Darkseid level. Still, even if his armor wouldn't let him beat down Superman straight up, if it could allow him to survive a couple of minutes to set his contingency plan in motion it would be useful.

Well to be honest you and I know that one reason Lex cant do it is because he's the proverbial bad guy and yea I agree

#35 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5278 posts) - - Show Bio

@amazinglover: I agree that he didnt really have the resources to build armor to exactly take them on but come on with "New 52" Cyborg being able to understand how Apokolips tech work resources are becoming more avaliable

#36 Edited by fodigg (6211 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

No im just saying that his default gear isnt really meant for pople outside of his rouges and yes I know its rare that he actually faces those baddies but facing them in spandex/ light protection armor is something he shouldnt do@amazinglover said:

See this is a rare instance that he uses it and against someone like the Talons yet we'll see him in the pages of a JL book trying to fight someone like Lobo or something with his standard gear. Im not saying that he needs overly bulky armor but i think its stupid that the "man who has a plan for everything" would plan to use his standard equipment against guys who could rip him in half

If they're strong enough to rip him in half, they're strong enough to rip the armor off him and then rip him in half. The talons invading his home are:

• Strong enough to warrant it but not strong enough to render it a liability
  • Attacking a location where putting it on is convenient for Bruce

That just doesn't happen very often. He has his go-to gear, and if he needs more than that he can fall back, regroup, and either armor up, gadget up, or otherwise prepare. If he's in the field and desperate he can call in an airstrike from a remote-controlled bat-plane or call in the bat bots. The applications of War Machine-style armor just is not as broad as you're arguing. You're assuming that the armor is always a good thing--that it has no downside--when it throws off his entire combat style.