• 71 results
#1 Edited by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Why doesn't he kill his foes??

#2 Edited by Jonez120 (4323 posts) - - Show Bio

-_-

He has stated why he doesn't kill like 40 times...

#3 Posted by Ryagan (843 posts) - - Show Bio

In short, he doesn't want to stoop to the lows of his villains--he would be no better than they are if he killed.

#4 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@ryagan said:

In short, he doesn't want to stoop to the lows of his villains--he would be no better than they are if he killed.

But because of no killing gotham is always in trouble.

#5 Edited by dagmar_merrill (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

@ryagan said:

Also, if he did it one time he couldn't stop.

#6 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

@ryagan said:

If Gotham isn't in trouble there will be no Batman comics. I don't know how long it will take for people to get this.

#7 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@ryagan said:

If Gotham isn't in trouble there will be no Batman comics. I don't know how long it will take for people to get this.

He doesn't kill people because of comics?? wow

#8 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5411 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a vagina

#9 Edited by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@ryagan said:

What?

#10 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@ryagan said:

What?

You said it yourself

#11 Posted by Jokerpoker (2961 posts) - - Show Bio

He kills gangsters and such, but never kills any of the real dangerous people. I don't get it.

#12 Posted by SSJDarthPlagueis (2550 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Because then he'd have to justify him killing but not letting others kill in a nonsensical way that makes him look like a hypocritical, self-righteous tool, kinda like Arrow.

#14 Posted by Squares (6510 posts) - - Show Bio

The Goddamn Batman (as in the Batman in ASBAR) kills all the time, what are you talking about?

#15 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13132 posts) - - Show Bio

A. He believes it's up to to a jury to decide

B. he feels that if he killed one villain then he wouldn't be able to stop himself.

#16 Edited by StormShadow_X (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:

-_-

He has stated why he doesn't kill like 40 times...

#17 Posted by Kairan1979 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

@ryagan said:

Check Flashpoint. Batman uses guns and doesn't have problems with throwing villains off the roofs. Gotham is still in trouble.

#18 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5899 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by Jayc1324 (12207 posts) - - Show Bio

To separate himself from criminals. But the real reason is because he wouldn't be able to stop killing if he started. He isn't 100% against killing all the time. He was going to kill the joker on at least two occasions. But if he did that, he wouldn't be able to stop. And no killing darkseid doesn't count since darkseid's essense lived on. He doesn't have an issue killing people that come back to life it seems.

#20 Posted by Experio (15970 posts) - - Show Bio

^Accurate answer

#21 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell would batman wouldn't be able to stop himself?? Killing one person will make him a killing addict???

#22 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman said:

@ryagan said:

Check Flashpoint. Batman uses guns and doesn't have problems with throwing villains off the roofs. Gotham is still in trouble.

why was gotham still in trouble?

#23 Posted by Kumquatodor (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman:

Batman is dangerously, DANGEROUSLY, unstable. He dresses like a BAT! He OBSESSES over justice.

Also, riddle me this.

If you kill Joker because he is terrible, why not kill all other villains? And if you kill all villains, why not corrupt officials? And why not kill all who try to stop him?

Also:

He wants people not to live in fear off faceless mob-bosses. People living in fear of a face-less vigilantes is not any better.

#24 Edited by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz Millar ain't writing!

#25 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman said:

Matter-of-factly, I just got done reading a very interesting article on this subject. I'm not saying weather Batman is right or wrong in his "no killing" principle - and either does the article - but it does explain why he chooses to continue to let his foes live, and explains it very well, IMO.

Here's a link to the page.

#26 Edited by BlackWind (6334 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Goddamn" Batman was killing people all over ASBAR.

#27 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@farkam said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@ryagan said:

What?

You said it yourself

What you're missing is Batman IS a comic. So if Gotham didn't have problems, and cases /situations for Batman to get into and out of, there'd be no reason to publish Batman comics. (And where would DC be without him?). Since he IS a comic, to have him not kill because that's how comics work is a totally legit answer. It's also why Captain America doesn't kill, and Spider-Man and Superman. (As general rules, there are cases for all these characters where that notion has been broken.) In short, he doesn't kill because that's a rule the comics folks have made as part of his personality. You can agree/disagree with his methodology, just as in real life people disagree over the death penalty, but it's part of his characters make-up because the higher-ups at DC say so.

#28 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman:

Batman is dangerously, DANGEROUSLY, unstable. He dresses like a BAT! He OBSESSES over justice.

Also, riddle me this.

If you kill Joker because he is terrible, why not kill all other villains? And if you kill all villains, why not corrupt officials? And why not kill all who try to stop him?

Also:

He wants people not to live in fear off faceless mob-bosses. People living in fear of a face-less vigilantes is not any better.

Batman is unstable?? Really?? How??

I am actually saying that he should kill the joker and the other villains . Why should he corrupt officials?? That makes no sense .

Why would people fear batman if he shows them that he is a good guy .

And tell me this .

If batman kills the joker , bane , deathstroke and every other villain , that wouldn't help?? Of course that would help . There would be far far less crime rate and people will think ten times more than they do before committing a crime . And gotham will be safe . And batman's life will become more peaceful .

@theamazingbatman said:

Matter-of-factly, I just got done reading a very interesting article on this subject. I'm not saying weather Batman is right or wrong in his "no killing" principle - and either does the article - but it does explain why he chooses to continue to let his foes live, and explains it very well, IMO.

Here's a link to the page.

But there will be many benefits of killing the bad people too .

#29 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't agree with the "it's a comic" justification. There are good superhero comics that have totally sympathetic protagonists that have been forced to kill from time to time, even though they are completely moral.

The real answer is "because the company line is that the story need to stay always the same". Not all companies choose to do that.

#30 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who thinks that by killing all criminals you'd get rid of all crime must be incredibly naive.

#31 Posted by longbowhunter (7078 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't wanna read Batman on a killing spree. But if Batman got pushed to the point were he had to kill, I wouldn't brown my shorts over it. I'm not all for keeping things the same for the sake of tradition. If that happened I think it would open the door for a lot of interesting stories to be told. I still wish Bruce had offed Joker at the end of Death Of The Family.

#32 Edited by RustyRoy (12706 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who thinks that by killing all criminals you'd get rid of all crime must be incredibly naive.

#33 Edited by RustyRoy (12706 posts) - - Show Bio

And the goddamn Batman does kill but the real Batman doesn't.

#34 Posted by Kumquatodor (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman:

Also, riddle me this.

Also:

I am actually saying that he should kill the joker and the other villains . Why should he corrupt officials?? That makes no sense .

And tell me this .

If batman kills the joker , bane , deathstroke and every other villain , that wouldn't help?? Of course that would help . There would be far far less crime rate and people will think ten times more than they do before committing a crime . And gotham will be safe . And batman's life will become more peaceful .

How is Batman unstable? Let's go through the list:

1. Obsesses over justice to the point of exhaustion and near-starvation.

2. Obsesses over his parents' murder.

3. Trains to the pinnacle of ability.

4. Dresses like a bat.

5. Goes outside the law.

6. Severely injures criminals.

7. Tortures them for information.

8. Trains kids to be soldiers.

9. Cold and distant.

10. Perfectionist.

11. 1,000,000,000 contingency plans.

12. Extreme Paranoia.

Don't you understand? The problem with Gotham is not that there are psychopaths running around. It's that the police department is corrupt. The judges are corrupt. They are in league with the mobs. THESE PEOPLE DO THE MOST DAMAGE!

People fear Batman because he is a vigilante with no real affiliation with the law who goes around breaking due process and bones.

If Batman kills all criminals, then he is no different from Ra's or Lock-Up. Sure, we would be safer, but who's to say Batman is correct? Who's to say that Batman wouldn't go too far? As I said, he isn't stable.

And, if he kills, what separates him from all the psychopaths that kill because they feel they've been wrong. Zsasz is sure, SURE that getting his mark is right. Ra's is SURE genocide is best. Joker is SURE that he is right. If Batman kills, what separates him from the other murderers? He walks a thin line as it is!

#35 Posted by The Stegman (24369 posts) - - Show Bio

Because killing people is a crime that not even Jim Gordon can ignore.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (24369 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell would batman wouldn't be able to stop himself?? Killing one person will make him a killing addict???

It's like eating Lays potato chips, you can't eat just one.

#37 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

Because comics code

Before that he was dual wielding 45s and ending fools

#38 Posted by aquaman01 (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman is really insane. I would not trust him for a second, don't know how he got to the Justice League lol. I mean, If I kill I wouldn't be able to stop myself from killing others? That is something what a psychopath would say.

#39 Edited by oOSupermanThatHoeOo (647 posts) - - Show Bio

It's literally one of the only things separating him from his enemies. He's a cut above so to speak, but his older incarnations have killed in pretty spectacular ways. Now if Gotham was in Texas, I'm sure we wouldn't see nearly as many repeat offenders :D

#40 Posted by DarthAznable (6951 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman:

Well, the article I posted wasn't about the benifets of his princible. The main reason I posted it was because it explained why he doesn't kill. He doesn't kill because it would go against his princibles, princibles that he will not comprimise. Period. (Well, unless you're Darksied...)

Whether he's right or wrong is highly debatable.

#43 Posted by Primebonnick (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

He says he doesn't want to be like the villains he puts away. Alas i'm shocked he hasn't killed himself by having survivor's guilt yet. I mean arkham doesn't help anyone and they just keep piling cough Joker cough maybe thats why Frank Miller showed he finally snapped and did so.

#44 Edited by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman said:

It's like eating Lays potato chips, you can't eat just one.

LOL good point :D

@theamazingbatman:

Well, the article I posted wasn't about the benifets of his princible. The main reason I posted it was because it explained why he doesn't kill. He doesn't kill because it would go against his princibles, princibles that he will not comprimise. Period. (Well, unless you're Darksied...)

Whether he's right or wrong is highly debatable.

Well , I know thats against his principles . I wanted to know whether he is wrong or right :D

@theamazingbatman said:

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman:

Also, riddle me this.

Also:

And tell me this .

4. Dresses like a bat.

5. Goes outside the law.

9. Cold and distant.

10. Perfectionist.

12. Extreme Paranoia.

Don't you understand? The problem with Gotham is not that there are psychopaths running around. It's that the police department is corrupt. The judges are corrupt. They are in league with the mobs. THESE PEOPLE DO THE MOST DAMAGE!

People fear Batman because he is a vigilante with no real affiliation with the law who goes around breaking due process and bones.

If Batman kills all criminals, then he is no different from Ra's or Lock-Up. Sure, we would be safer, but who's to say Batman is correct? Who's to say that Batman wouldn't go too far? As I said, he isn't stable.

And, if he kills, what separates him from all the psychopaths that kill because they feel they've been wrong. Zsasz is sure, SURE that getting his mark is right. Ra's is SURE genocide is best. Joker is SURE that he is right. If Batman kills, what separates him from the other murderers? He walks a thin line as it is!

Batman needs to take a holiday :P LOL

Batman should kill the mob leaders and the corrupt judges and police officers won't be corrupt anymore .

People will fear batman even more if he becomes a murderer.

I am not saying that he should kill all villains . I am simply saying that he should kill the main ones like bane or joker . There is no point in keeping psychopaths like joker alive . Lets say that the joker kills 10 people , then batman arrests him and then sends him to jail . The next day joker escapes and kills another 10 citizens and batman arrests him again and so on . What is the point of this??? A psychopath's life> many innocent civilians' life?? No . Batman should kill the joker and protect gotham from his maniacal plans .

The thing that will separate batman from the other psychopaths who kill is that batman will be right . He will kill only the major criminals . The criminals may think that they are right and kill people while they are not but batman will be right so that will separate him from them.

#45 Edited by Kumquatodor (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman said:

Well , I know thats against his principles . I wanted to know whether he is wrong or right :D

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman:

Also, riddle me this.

Also:

And tell me this .

4. Dresses like a bat.

5. Goes outside the law.

9. Cold and distant.

10. Perfectionist.

12. Extreme Paranoia.

Batman should kill the mob leaders and the corrupt judges and police officers won't be corrupt anymore .

I am not saying that he should kill all villains . I am simply saying that he should kill the main ones like bane or joker . There is no point in keeping psychopaths like joker alive . Lets say that the joker kills 10 people , then batman arrests him and then sends him to jail . The next day joker escapes and kills another 10 citizens and batman arrests him again and so on . What is the point of this??? A psychopath's life> many innocent civilians' life?? No . Batman should kill the joker and protect gotham from his maniacal plans .

The thing that will separate batman from the other psychopaths who kill is that batman will be right . He will kill only the major criminals . The criminals may think that they are right and kill people while they are not but batman will be right so that will separate him from them.

He does need to take a holiday!

Kill the mob leaders? That wouldn't change the fact that the police are ridiculously venal. How do you think Joker keeps escaping?

Joker has killed ~~ 600 people. Why not kill whomever kills 500? 400? 300? 200? 100? 50? 25? 10? 5? 1?

Yeah. People will live in fear of a vigilante who kills whomever he believes is evil. Why is that preferable to fearing Penguin?

Who says Batman is right? Even when he doesn't kill, it is a huge debate whether or not he's right. If he kills, then why is he different from other maniacs who go above the law for the same reasons? Watch Death Note. It is never as simple as right and wrong.

#46 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2203 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't kill villains because if he does than he'll be just like them, then he'll become the very thing he hates.

#47 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7982 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman: Ah. Well, personally, I think he's right to an extent. If he takes it upon himself to kill the Joker- who's killed hundreds of people - where should he draw the line? What about some random thug who's killed ten people? Or one? Then what about sex offenders, thiefs, those people that download movies illeagally??

Okay, that last part was a joke, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make. :P

The only part I take issue with is when he goes out of his way to save someone like Joker. But then you have the whole "if it was in his power to save so-and-so and he chose not to, he might as well have killed him anyway" thing...

#48 Posted by theamazingbatman (1955 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman said:

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman said:

@kumquatodor said:

@theamazingbatman:

Also, riddle me this.

Also:

And tell me this .

4. Dresses like a bat.

5. Goes outside the law.

9. Cold and distant.

10. Perfectionist.

12. Extreme Paranoia.

He does need to take a holiday!

Kill the mob leaders? That wouldn't change the fact that the police are ridiculously venal. How do you think Joker keeps escaping?

Joker has killed ~~ 600 people. Why not kill whomever kills 500? 400? 300? 200? 100? 50? 25? 10? 5? 1?

Yeah. People will live in fear of a vigilante who kills whomever he believes is evil. Why is that preferable to fearing Penguin?

Who says Batman is right? Even when he doesn't kill, it is a huge debate whether or not he's right. If he kills, then why is he different from other maniacs who go above the law for the same reasons? Watch Death Note. It is never as simple as right and wrong.

He should go to asgard for a holiday :D

I am saying that if batman kills the mob leaders , the guards would stop being venal .

Yes , I am saying that he should kill all murderers .

I am only saying that batman should kill the major villains . And the fear of batman will make people stop being evil and would make gotham peaceful .

The law also says to hang the murderers , so batman would be following the law which makes him right . He is different from the villains because he would only kill evil murderers .

@theamazingbatman: Ah. Well, personally, I think he's right to an extent. If he takes it upon himself to kill the Joker- who's killed hundreds of people - where should he draw the line? What about some random thug who's killed ten people? Or one? Then what about sex offenders, thiefs, those people that download movies illeagally??

Okay, that last part was a joke, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make. :P

The only part I take issue with is when he goes out of his way to save someone like Joker. But then you have the whole "if it was in his power to save so-and-so and he chose not to, he might as well have killed him anyway" thing.

Well , he should only kill the main villains like ra's joker bane etc .

LoL

That's the only thing that I hate about batman more than his no killing rule . WTH does he saves joker for?? To escape the jail and try to destroy gotham or kill batman or kill many innocents ?? He should let him die at such points :P

#49 Posted by Vitalius (1928 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by TheDemoGoblin (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingbatman:

Bruce's parents were killed. He watched them be killed as a kid, and it broke him - it tore him and made him another man. Bruce isn't angry now, there's no reason for him to kill. He just doesn't want to be as bad as the man who killed his parents. It's simple.