• 52 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

You know how almost every Alternate Reality and Elsworld Superman turns evil like Injustice, Earth 2, Earth Prime and to some extent Kingdom Come and Red Son. Well why hasn't there been any about Batman going rogue and manipulating world events from behind the scenes or something?

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jwalser3

Because Batman is that small resistance symbol. The David vs. Goliath kind of thing. At least that's how I see it.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I think the main reason would be that he wouldn't be seen as much of a threat as an evil Superman or other super-powered characters. Let's be honest, if he were to turn evil and the rest of the JL didn't follow him.....the story would be really short because he would get stopped very quickly unless the writers give him plot devices to give him the upper hand. To be honest, I wouldn't want to read about it because I have a feeling it would be like Tower of Babel but replace Ra's with Batman and I'm really not interested in reading that.

I do think that a rogue Batman story where the Batfamily has to stop him would be a great read though.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@jonny_anonymous: Closest thing I can think of...superman/batman 53-56, but you're right he hasn't really become a dictator or anything. Never noticed

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3: But he's been portrayed as that for soooooooo long now there needs to be a different take on him some time

I think the main reason would be that he wouldn't be seen as much of a threat as an evil Superman or other super-powered characters. Let's be honest, if he were to turn evil and the rest of the JL didn't follow him.....the story would be really short because he would get stopped very quickly unless the writers give him plot devices to give him the upper hand. To be honest, I wouldn't want to read about it because I have a feeling it would be like Tower of Babel but replace Ra's with Batman and I'm really not interested in reading that.

I do think that a rogue Batman story where the Batfamily has to stop him would be a great read though.

Your thinking about it wrong, a rogue Batman wouldn't take on the heroes like Superman always ends up doing he'd manipulate them into fighting each other or by turning the government against them. I think a story where you don't actually know Batman was the bad guy up until the very end when it turns out he was the man playing puppet master the whole time.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Nemesis

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RustyRoy

@jwalser3: But he's been portrayed as that for soooooooo long now there needs to be a different take on him some time

Your thinking about it wrong, a rogue Batman wouldn't take on the heroes like Superman always ends up doing he'd manipulate them into fighting each other or by turning the government against them. I think a story where you don't actually know Batman was the bad guy up until the very end when it turns out he was the man playing puppet master the whole time.

I completely agree. Its time for a new take.

When I imagine a evil Batman I think him as a more dangerous version of Ozymandias. If someone writes it like you explained then it could be a good and believable story. And maybe that's why nobody has written him as a bad guy, if he becomes evil then evil wins lol.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MakkyD
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: That shouldn't matter though

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman have been evil in Earth 10, Earth 43 , All-Star Batman (yes you can also count it), Red Son , Batman Chronicles 11 & my personal favorite Evil Batman is in Red Rain & its later sequels where he turns into a vampire & goes around killing Dracula, Scarecrow, Joker, Poison Ivy, Riddler, Penguin, Black Mask & every single villain in his rogue gallery & cleans entire Gotham & also kills many of Arkham inmates just for being criminal in a awesome way until he's finally killed by the vampire hunting team of Alfred,Jim Gordon ,Two-Face & Killer Croc.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Isn't Owlman an alternate version of Batman? He's evil and a criminal mastermind.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Owlman

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Owlman an alternate version of Batman? He's evil and a criminal mastermind.

But Owlman couldn't run things on his own. Not with Ultraman at least.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Owlman is pretty much it. If Batman goes rogue he isn't going to be dominating the whole world and defeating every hero that would just be ridiculous he isn't that great. If he is evil he'll need a team to back him up.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deadgod

Ahh just remembered Batman also turned evil in Superman/Batman 53-56 where Superman due to a magic amulet gets his powers switched with Batman where Supes turns into a mere human & Bats turns into super insane & starts to get into dictator mode on criminals, beats Nightwing to near death , takes down entire Justice League by himself until he finally gets taken down by powerless Superman & Zatanna

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
SuperStar_sketcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause hes the Goddamn batman!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadgod: Killing =/= evil

Owlman

@war_killer said:

But Owlman couldn't run things on his own. Not with Ultraman at least.

@thitiki said:

Owlman is pretty much it. If Batman goes rogue he isn't going to be dominating the whole world and defeating every hero that would just be ridiculous he isn't that great. If he is evil he'll need a team to back him up.

Owlman isn't a rogue Batman, he started out evil and everybody from that earth is evil anyway.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

Do Jason, azbats, and Titans tommorow Tim Drake count

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I know just pointing it out. If Batman went rogue it's not like he is going to end up like Injustice Superman and rule the nation.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@jonny_anonymous: Point taken on Owlman, but what about Justice Lord Batman from the DCAU? He and the Justice League from his world were just like the DCAU versions, until the Flash was killed which caused them to become the Justice Lords. He, along with the other Justice Lords, became dictators who ruled the world with an iron fist and Batman even manged to clean up Gotham of all crime by enforcing crazy-strict laws, such as arresting people simply for complaining about the bill for their meals.

Would that count as a "Rogue Batman?"

Justice Lord Batman
Justice Lord Batman

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#22  Edited By Black_Claw

OP have you even read All Star Batman and Robin?

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@war_killer: Hmm I suppose it would also that Batsuit is baller.

@thitiki said:

@jonny_anonymous: I know just pointing it out. If Batman went rogue it's not like he is going to end up like Injustice Superman and rule the nation.

Yea but like I said before Batman wouldn't openly take on the heroes, he'd manipulate from behind the scenes and turn them against each other or manipulate the govermeant into doing it for them.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thitiki
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: enforcing what?

You said above manipulating the government and heroes but Ican't see him keeping that rule.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hart7668

I feel like a 'rogue' Batman would be one that takes Ra's Al Ghul's place as head of the Assassins

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kidchipotle

Batman of Earth 51 was kind of rogue. He went around killing all of the villains to create a perfect world.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Yea but I don't see that as rogue because he's still doing "good"

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well batman doesn't need a team behind him to control everybody. He just need to plan it all out and stay behind the scenes. And that would make a great story. Seeing all the heroes and maybe even some villians flustered at what's going on and then eventually having batman makes them all fight and then take over. But not in new 52, in an elseworlds or alternate timeline story

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ccraft

I have contemplated a rogue Batman for a long time, I think it would be a cool story.

1. Batman needs a goal, it can't be just power or money he's after, revenge really suits him. Besides he already has money and influence.

2. Batman will need some strong heroes or villains with him, as his "muscle".

It would be cool to see Batman secretly take over LoA, and have to convince the world the JL aren't good guys anymore.

I gtg I'll be back to post more.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Superman/Batman: Absolute Power. Both Superman and Batman become world dictators. It's a really fun story by Jeph Loeb.

No Caption Provided

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he goes rogue then everyone around him and in his path will be dead

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deaditegonzo

Batman wank. Basically Batfanboys are writing Batman Fan Fiction and selling it as official stories these days.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ccraft

@deaditegonzo: Next 20 years when Batmanfanboys become writers these stories will be canon lol, then what?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@deaditegonzo: Next 20 years when Batmanfanboys become writers these stories will be canon lol, then what?

Oh, Batman power creep will continue to get worse and worse, unless like every "Most Popular hero" before him, he loses his throne.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ccraft
Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know how almost every Alternate Reality and Elsworld Superman turns evil like Injustice, Earth 2, Earth Prime and to some extent Kingdom Come and Red Son. Well why hasn't there been any about Batman going rogue and manipulating world events from behind the scenes or something?

Its due to the fact that in Cannon Batman has already endured a ridicules amount of tragedy and has still managed to retain his moral compass. Else worlds are largely based on "what if" scenarios and the fact that Batman has already endured so much in cannon and avoided going bad prevents the writers from creating believable scenarios where he crosses the line in elseworlds. Superman on the other hand has not experienced too much tragedy in cannon, this gives writers the opportunity to speculate as to how he would react to great loss. A good example of this is in Injustice.

On a side note, seeing Batman assume an Ozymandias type role would be pretty cool.

Batman wank. Basically Batfanboys are writing Batman Fan Fiction and selling it as official stories these days.

You sound a tad upset.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mediocregeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's generally the fact that Superman is basically the Shining Knight/Boy Scout archetype of fiction, so stories where he becomes evil provide much more contrast.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@jonny_anonymous: Superman/Batman: Absolute Power. Both Superman and Batman become world dictators. It's a really fun story by Jeph Loeb.

No Caption Provided

People don't get to say that a lot. :P

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter said:

No Caption Provided

I do. Superman/Batman 1-26. Long Halloween. Dark Victory. His run on Superman. Superman for All Seasons. Emperor Joker. Hell, in retrospect, I even really enjoy Ultimatum. ( special mention to the his series of "Superhero: Color" mini-series' he did for Marvel with Tim Sale. They weren't great, but they were good if you enjoy Sale)

Jeph Loeb get's dogged on this site, but coupled with McGuiness or Sale the man is a power house. On any day of the week he's a good comic book writer.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

@onemoreposter said:

No Caption Provided

I do. Superman/Batman 1-26. Long Halloween. Dark Victory. His run on Superman. Superman for All Seasons. Emperor Joker. Hell, in retrospect, I even really enjoy Ultimatum. ( special mention to the his series of "Superhero: Color" mini-series' he did for Marvel with Tim Sale. They weren't great, but they were good if you enjoy Sale)

Jeph Loeb get's dogged on this site, but coupled with McGuiness or Sale the man is a power house. On any day of the week he's a good comic book writer.

Me too. And Hush too, I think most people will agree that Hush was pretty good, it even won the favorite Batman story in CV.

@jonny_anonymous said:

Its due to the fact that in Cannon Batman has already endured a ridicules amount of tragedy and has still managed to retain his moral compass. Else worlds are largely based on "what if" scenarios and the fact that Batman has already endured so much in cannon and avoided going bad prevents the writers from creating believable scenarios where he crosses the line in elseworlds. Superman on the other hand has not experienced too much tragedy in cannon, this gives writers the opportunity to speculate as to how he would react to great loss. A good example of this is in Injustice.

On a side note, seeing Batman assume an Ozymandias type role would be pretty cool.

That is a good point.

Superman got his fair share of Superfanboy writers writing Superman fanfiction selling it as official stories.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Forgot about Hush. Yeah that was great. The story did get a bit convoluted at times. Loeb gave us a bit much to swallow at the end when he tied everything together at the end. His characterizations were great though. I think that's where he really excels and I think that's also why he upsets alot of people. Loeb might sometimes use characters in ways the fans don't feel that character should be used, but within the confines of the story itself the interactions feel completely organic. Also, the book was hands down (IMO) some of the best artwork Lee ever has done or ever will do.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Because he doesn't like Captain Cold.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RustyRoy

@onemoreposter: Yeah, his characterization and character interactions are better than his plots.