Why does Odin age and Galactus does not?

Avatar image for galactus_ate_my_sock
Galactus_Ate_My_Sock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is a contest of who can survive or last the longest without any intake of sustenance. Try to predict the years either can last without food.

And why does Odin get old with age while Galactus does not?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Galactacus I think, Odin is nearing his end

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a battle, but Odin can probably outlast Galactus in a fasting contest.

It was said that after the events of Annihilation that Galactus' hunger has increased since he had to burn through all his reserves to keep from dying. Beta Ray Bill managed to starve him to the point where he was a withered husk. Also, I believe once he tasted the Oldpower from Sakaar, his appetite also increased.

Odin could probably nap for the majority of the contest, while Galactus on the other hand will be starving from hunger :/

X_insignia1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far as overall longevity Galactus takes this. He's destined to be one of the last two beings in the universe prior it's death. Plus Asgardians arn't true immortals, they rely on the golden apples.

Odin would probably outlast him in a fasting contest though.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far as overall longevity Galactus takes this. He's destined to be one of the last two beings in the universe prior it's death. Plus Asgardians arn't true immortals, they rely on the golden apples.

Odin would probably outlast him in a fasting contest though.

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Galactus was to sit in his world ship and literally do nothing ! Basically shut down like a bear hibernating after feeding on a planet or two.. He'd outlast Odin if he'd just eaten an apple and went to go into Odin Sleep !

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigcimmerian

If Galactus was to sit in his world ship and literally do nothing ! Basically shut down like a bear hibernating after feeding on a planet or two.. He'd outlast Odin if he'd just eaten an apple and went to go into Odin Sleep !

Nope, Odin doesn't need food, while Galactus will die after several months or years from starvation.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

General Discussion forum, folks. Let's learn how to differentiate.

Djangophile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Djangophile

Only a few skyfathers are truly immortal, Zeus for example is but Odin is not. He will die eventually, just as his father before him did. Galactus is a being of pure energy, he does not have cellular structure or any biochemistry. He is just energy. He was once a mortal, who survived the end of the last universe, then gestated into a cosmic being of pure energy. He has no DNA, no blood or anything you would associate to an organic life form. Thats why he doesn't age so far as we know. Technically, since its a fact that he cannot maintain his energy for nearly as long now as he could billions of years ago, that might be a sign of deterioration of some type. His energy might not be so capable of processing the other energies he feeds on. I think in a technical sense he is clearly aging, but not like organic beings do. His energy potential depletes over the eons but he would revitalize himself by feeding more. But, holding that power for X amount of time will get lesser and lesser. That could be a form of aging for him.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Galactus is already billions and billions and trillions of years older than Odin... He's the only survivor of the only race that lived before the big bang. That's why Galactus hunger can't be ceased...

Plus Galactus is handicapped by his hunger he'll die from starvation...

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with no sustenance odin takes this because he doesnt need it. galactus needs it or he will blow up/ die

if you are talking about who has a longer lifespan it would be galactus

Avatar image for thesecondopinion
TheSecondOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with no sustenance odin takes this because he doesnt need it. galactus needs it or he will blow up/ die

I beg to differ on that last statement. Galactus' origin was the same universe were Odin was born from. They were from the same universe. When the 1st Universe was created, there was no Galactus. There was only Galan. But Galan was born near the waking of the end of that first universe. He might have lived up to his late 20's or early 30's before the end of the first universe. But when Galan was 20 or 30 years old, Odin was already some millions of years old. You and I could be older than Galan, because Galan hasn't been born yet if you count this universe as the original universe.

I think most say that Galactus is older because after the universe reseted, Odin was absorbed and had to be reborn again through the process of generations and generations of Elder Gods. Galactus wasn't reborn, he just survived thanks to the Cosmic Egg.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You could use the wiki

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesecondopinion: your assuming that odin was around when galactus was just galan right? when galan was made into galactus the current marvel universe/multiverse was starting and that was long before earth was around or even began to have life. odin isnt older than the earth because that would mean that he has been around longer than Gaea... who started the earthly pantheons... which odin was a part of.

odin is meant to have longevity but he doesnt have natural immortality. galactus is meant to survive as long as he has sustenance. so as long as there is something for galactus to feed off of he will survive, unless some outside force kills him

Avatar image for magnificentstorm
MagnificentStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: Yea but im sure they didnt intend for galactus to stop eating planets.

An i think they eat the apple every hundred years or longer right?

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperlight said:

I beg to differ on that last statement. Galactus' origin was the same universe were Odin was born from. They were from the same universe. When the 1st Universe was created, there was no Galactus. There was only Galan. But Galan was born near the waking of the end of that first universe. He might have lived up to his late 20's or early 30's before the end of the first universe. But when Galan was 20 or 30 years old, Odin was already some millions of years old. You and I could be older than Galan, because Galan hasn't been born yet if you count this universe as the original universe.

I think most say that Galactus is older because after the universe reseted, Odin was absorbed and had to be reborn again through the process of generations and generations of Elder Gods. Galactus wasn't reborn, he just survived thanks to the Cosmic Egg.

Although Galan became the current Galactus that does not mean the next Galactus will be future Galan. Even so current Galactus is not future Galan, because he is already Galactus. Galactus wasn't reborn, because the old Galactus didn't become the next in the cosmic egg, it was the sentience of the universe that bonded with Galan, that would be the old Eternity. So either Galactus is billions of years older than Odin because he entered the current universe at it's start, or he is an old eternity which predates any god elder or otherwise. He is still older than Odin by a long shot.

Djangophile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djangophile

Gaea appeared on Earth before any life did. Earth kind of needed to have already been there for her to show up on. Galen existed prior to the end of the last universe, before anything existed in the current one. He is far older than any Skyfather and even Gaea. His constant nagging about needing to feed more now than billions of years ago is my proof that he is aging in a sense. The sons of Titans are Immortal. Olympians really got the better end of the stick in the case of Immortality. Asgardians got the rotten end.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AngryHulks

Asgardians are not truly immortal, they can still age, while it is a slow process, they still do.

Galactus is semi-abstract and due to being one of fundamental pillar of the universe, he can supposedley live as long as the universe itselves as long as he keep feeding.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperlight said:

How on earth can Odin be older than Galactus?? SCANS WITH THAT STATEMENT PLS! @killemall If this is true, then comics lied to me... and my whole life is a lie...

Djangophile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#lovestobeignored :[

X_insignia1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperlight said:

lol....what??...my guy...what are you rambling about?

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thesecondopinion
TheSecondOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesecondopinion said:

@hyperlight said:

lol....what??...my guy...what are you rambling about?

Before I answer, please answer this. Who came first? Eternity and Death or Galactus? And if you say that all three of them came out at the same time, then who was the personification of the previous universe have it not been for Eternity and what was the cause for previous deaths if not for the presence of Death already have been there to claim those already dead? Hasn't is not occurred to any one here that Eternity and Death had been recycled?

Recycled by what?

The Phoenix Force. Remember that the Phoenix Force was there when the previous universe (Universe 0) had a Big Crunch. A Big Crunch is the opposite of a Big Bang. The Phoenix Force absorbed all sentient beings while it sheltered Galan inside the NEW Cosmic Egg. It promised while the universe was going to end, it will "recycle" <- to paraphrase it --- All the sentient life that will die in the previous universe be reborn as they were.

No Caption Provided

So that being said, Odin was in existence during the old universe.

The Kree, the Shiar, the Skrulls, Earth, Eternity and so on.

Only questions remaining is what time had Odin been born by using the B.C timeline in Earth years and what time was Galan born using A.D timelines in Earth years.

Galan was born at the dawn of the end of the previous universe and he was a "young man" before charging into the Big Crunch.

Galan is about 20 to 30 years older than the second Big Bang.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How on earth can Odin be older than Galactus?? SCANS WITH THAT STATEMENT PLS! @killemall If this is true, then comics lied to me... and my whole life is a lie...

Its not true.

Not only was Odin not mentioned anywhere in the new universe before 616, The Adventures of X-men series, is actually non-canon to begin with.

There are numerous instances that keep repeating that Galactus is the only being older than 616 in their universe, while other being have been said to be older they have come and gone (one of them was Nemesis, one was Chaos King etc).

I dare anyone to show us one panel that says Odin existed before 616 was created.

Trust me, including the Adventures of X men, you wont find any.

Djangophile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another version of Odin might have existed, either way it seems nothing survived and the giant Nintento 64 reset button was clicked for everyone. I don't think even death and Infinity and Eternity are the same. Everything that is changed and was restarted ( my opinion ) So, Odin in the last universe may have survived all the way to the end. Nobody knows if he is a giant wrinkle at that time lol or if he was stuck in Odinsleep, or if he found a way to become Immortal. Maybe he ate Zeus? lol, who knows. Either way, nothing made it but Galen.

Avatar image for alberto_weskardo
Alberto_Weskardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good question.
Maybe Odin is older by name, but Galactus is older by currently living up to this date.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Good question.

Maybe Odin is older by name, but Galactus is older by currently living up to this date.

Galactus came from the universe that existed before the current one, he's a lot older than Odin also Asgardians need to eat the Golden Apple to stay immortal.

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And why does Odin get old with age while Galactus does not?

Because Anthony Hopkins gets more bad ass with each passing year.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Galactus is more powerful. Also, the gods of Asgard are not necessarily entirely immortal. I believe this has been mentioned before; the gods age.

Avatar image for officialrikudousennin
OfficialRikudouSennin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus Beast Odin

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MakkyD

Galactus seems to have aged in the upcoming Future Thor arc.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, all of the Aesir age. They just eat Iduna’s Apples to regain their youth. I imagine the Marvel Universe treats it the same. Though, I don’t think I have ever seen a reference to it.

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the Marvel Wiki about Galactus, it states that he is 16.2 billion years old, and was present in the universe before the current universe.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has it been stated what happens after the asgardians quit eating the apples? If odin quit and didnt eat or drink would he die much faster ?

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GoodBoy6

@nerdork said:

Well, all of the Aesir age. They just eat Iduna’s Apples to regain their youth. I imagine the Marvel Universe treats it the same. Though, I don’t think I have ever seen a reference to it.

that is in mythology.Odin lived for millions of years I think without the Golden Apples.all Gods are equal(Greek,Norse,Chinese).but the thing is in Marvel everything dies,even Infinity and Eternity.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

cuz he's a mere mortal :P

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Has it been stated what happens after the asgardians quit eating the apples? If odin quit and didnt eat or drink would he die much faster ?

I don't think that anyone is immortal.people assume that Zeus is immortal because Greek mythology says so.this is not true to the mythology what we know.they have their own mythology.Zeus is old as fuck but Odin is much older.he created the mankind.as for apples,that depends on the writer because one writer pay homage to the mythology while the other disregard them.in Norse mythology it was never said that they will die if they don't consume them only that they will be old and that their power will wane but not that they will die.Doom studied the Asgardians to make himself immortal.Thor said that he will live until the End of Times.Angela,older sister of Thor,is still young looking and yet she is millions of years old.Cul never had eaten anything and yet he is still alive,older than even Odin and they are brothers.Odin exiled himself for eternity alongside Surtur.it was said that the worlds will die and the Universe will also die.Galactus is also old looking in Old King Thor comic even while feeding of Earth.this further confirms that no one is really immortal except the Phoenix Force.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

big g goes hungry before odin ages out

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrHamWallet

Odin is an Asgardian and they're a race that is susceptible to aging, albeit slower than humans and the longevity of the all father is greater than other Asgardians. Galactus is an unique being that is older than the universe, I believe his physical for is just how he chooses to appear to others and is actually energy.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Starro and Zeus are perplex about it.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgardian origins have been written and retconned a few times over. More so with Odin. So there is no way to ever say its always been like this or like that in the MU. I could go through all the different origin stories but it would take too long and I don't think would make much difference to people's opinions. Suffice to say there is no reason to think that Galactus and Odin should age the same way anyhow. Galactus doesn't really even age. He just feeds.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: Even in the mythology the apples were introduced near the end of the edda related mythology/stories. So it wasn't something people commonly related to the gods maintaining their immortality. Idunn's apples have only been mentioned a few times in the MU I believe. I don't ever recall seeing Thor or Odin eat one either.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Odin only looks that old because that is how the Norse people imagined him to be, he was always looking old.

I think it was Straczynski's Thor run that we learnt that the God's exist because people believe in them.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GoodBoy6

@spambot: Norse mythology was recorded by a christian.who knows what bullcrap did he wrote just to make them less than Christian God,no offense to anyone.yeah,there are inconsistency with their immortality.Apples are rarely even mentioned in any comic books.it is most likely to pay homage to the mythology.we have Hela who granted others immortality,we got Odin making Jane immortal,we have Doom who studied them for their immortality and etc.we got more of that than anything.on the big screen when their mythology is in it,they remove those apples completely(Xena,Supernatural,Vikingdom,) even in Avengers Assemble cartoon they are immortal.it is really stupid to have the Apples anyway.Galactus is I think old looking in Old King Thor comic even while he was feeding from Earth.no matter who you are you will eventually die and Phoenix Force is ready to create new life.basically,Jean Grey is the only immortal being in Marvel Unverse.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus is an energy being, Odin still has a phisical body.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin isn't immortal, he can prolong his life a crapload of time, but hes at his prime in both power and age. I'd surmise he could shapeshift to look younger, if he really wanted to, but he wants to appear as he should. Galactus appears differently to anybody who gazes upon him and can take different forms.