Why does it matter whose movie makes more money to fans?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

I've been seeing tons of posts about whether The Avengers or TDKR will make more money. I understand why it matters to the companies making the movies and the actors, directors and producers cause it directly affects them but why should we care. The Avengers is a success, TDKR is going to be a success, The fans of both are probably going to be happy with the results (Well as happy as our kind can be) so why should we care which one makes more money?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

because people are petty and stupid....and have nothing else to do apparently.

Now...if only all that money these movies made went to a worth while cause...

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By _Zombie_

I actually don't care that much about who makes more. I'm just interested to see Nolan try and follow up Avengers.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Bragging rights and fanboyism.

... that said, I'm rooting for TDKR.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By evilvegeta74

Because everyone brags about who has the best heroes Marvel, Dc, and so on! i actually posted the money thing just to show how well a comic adaption did at the box office, and I taunted a few people that I was in a forum with. They couldn't seem to get overr the fact that we (fans) should all be celebrating this as a victory for all comic fans. Hopefully some of the proceeds will go towards a worthy cause, with Disney involved with Marvel now I'm sure they donate to some childrens fund yearly.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By GothamRed

Because people like to give arbitrary reasons why the film they like more is better than the other because they feel doing better and being better are the same thing. Trust me if that were the case Avatar wouldn't be the highest grossing film of all time.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Bragging rights for fanboys I guess.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

@JediXMan said:

Yep.

Btw. Avengers broke the record for highest domestic opening weekend of all time. $200 million in the states, totaling to over $600 million worldwide. Now I'm not a wizard, but if it keeps it up, I think we're looking at one of the highest grossing films of all time.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GothamRed

@Gambit1024: It'll definitely be up there, I don't doubt that

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe

@JediXMan: What would they have to brag about tho? They didn't make it, they didn't make any money off it, and it will have no impact on their lives what so ever if the movie they like is more or less successful.

I want them both to make money, because it'll show that super hero movies don't all have to be the same to make money. They don't all have to be dark and gritty, nor do they all have to be spectacles. That way we can have our gritty Batman and our Funny Spiderman.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@GothamRed: Avatar was pretty I'll give them that but every thing aside from the visuals was awful

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GothamRed

@joshmightbe: I just thought it dragged to much, it was way longer that necessary.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@joshmightbe said:

@JediXMan: What would they have to brag about tho?

"My favorite movie is better than YOUR favorite movie because it made more money."

Essentially that.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

@JediXMan: so nothing then.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@joshmightbe said:

@JediXMan: so nothing then.

Yes.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

Thoughts like this are also why I don't understand sports fans, when their favorite team wins they yell we won, No you didn't win sh!t the over paid athletes with the ego complexes won, you just happened to live in the city where their stadium is.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

@JediXMan said:

... that said, I'm rooting for TDKR.

This.

Except I want the Avengers to rule 2012. :)

Zhakaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zhakaraz

@joshmightbe said:

I've been seeing tons of posts about whether The Avengers or TDKR will make more money. I understand why it matters to the companies making the movies and the actors, directors and producers cause it directly affects them but why should we care. The Avengers is a success, TDKR is going to be a success, The fans of both are probably going to be happy with the results (Well as happy as our kind can be) so why should we care which one makes more money?

simply interesting to see how much money a movie makes. People have the right to be curious about such facts.

If people like to take pride about the fact that a movie they thoroughly enjoyed was also enjoyed by thousands of others...what does that matter to you? And who are we to decide whether or not that mentality is better than our own?

Limiting that interest to the categories of "Stupid" or "Fanboyism" is immature and very closed minded.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

@Zhakaraz: Its one thing to be interested but many people are outright arguing with each other about the issue and I don't see the point.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssejllenrad

@joshmightbe: When not comparing to other movies, box office success is important to fans because it ensures possible sequels, spin-offs and all those stuff related to expansion of the fandom.

When comparing to other movies, box office success is, just as a lot of people have already stated, just for fanboyism.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@joshmightbe:  

in the end, it boils down to, like most things, into a Marvel vs DC thing.
Tunsieon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tunsieon

@joshmightbe: It is the declaration that the public is on the side of the film that John Smith likes. It shows that John Smith's taste in movies are shared by more people, and thus, is better than Jane Jones' taste in movies, as he was cheering for Avengers which made 1.4 billion in the box office and she was cheering for TDKR which made 1.1 billion in the box office.

1.4 billion >1.1 billion, therefore John's taste in cinema is better than Jane's, and his opinion is justified.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Fans are just excited that comic book based movies are now respected enough, and with a a wide enough viewership that we can expect top tier talent, high budgets, etc.

- IMO the discussion of what movie will do better (Avengers or DKR) is friendly for the most part, and the vast majority want to see both make a truckload of $$

ENGLENTINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1004

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ENGLENTINE

Because people are always looking for Justification and acceptance. If your movie makes more money, then you feel your opinion has been justified, and accepted. Also, you can tell your non fan boy friends how right you were.