• 94 results
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

1. He's been around longer than any other hero (with the exception of Superman)

2. His gothic and macabre nature allows for interesting stories that can tap into both psychological and supernatural veins. Heck, Gotham itself is a huge metaphor for what depths a city can sink to when no one is around to give it hope.

3. He's had tons of media attention through the years with tv shows, comics, movies, graphic novels and cartoons

4. He's rogues gallery is the BEST rogues gallery in comics, hands down.

5. His lack of super human abilities allows for more interesting stories as he can't just "punch" his way through the villain, he often has to use detective skills, wits and technology to his advantage.

6. His characterization alone is a psychiatrists' wet dream, you can write books (and many have) about what drives Batman, why he does what he does and what made him who he is.

7. Going off of number 6, his origins story is very rich and compelling. He took a tragic moment and molded it into a weapon that has been driving him since he was a child.

A lot of people hate on Batman because he's "over exposed" but the fact is, he deserves it, he's one of the greatest fictional characters ever created. Chances are, Batman>>Your favorite hero.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's just the bees knees.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ganon15
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 the_stegman  Moderator

@ganon15: No he's not, he first debut in 1940, Batman came out in 1939

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

2. His gothic and macabre nature allows for interesting stories that can tap into both psychological and supernatural veins. Heck, Gotham itself is a huge metaphor for what depths a city can sink to when no one is around to give it hope.

3. He's had tons of media attention through the years with tv shows, comics, movies, graphic novels and cartoons

5. His lack of super human abilities allows for more interesting stories as he can't just "punch" his way through the villain, he often has to use detective skills, wits and technology to his advantage.

6. His characterization alone is a psychiatrists' wet dream, you can write books (and many have) about what drives Batman, why he does what he does and what made him who he is.

7. Going off of number 6, his origins story is very rich and compelling. He took a tragic moment and molded it into a weapon that has been driving him since he was a child.

A lot of people hate on Batman because he's "over exposed" but the fact is, he deserves it, he's one of the greatest fictional characters ever created. Chances are, Batman>>Your favorite hero.

I'd say Spider-Man has a rogues gallery that is equal in quality to Batman's, but you made some good good points.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ganon15

to hardcore Batfans:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Cause he's Batman.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I think that there are several things that factor into why everyone seems to love Batman.

1) Exposure - Since the 2000's, no superhero has had as many shows, comics and movies dedicated to them as Batman. Even though they don't all hit, as long as new representations in the media keep popping up, the longer he'll stay this popular.

2) Escapist Fantasy - Let's face it, who wouldn't want to be a handsome billionaire who can overcome any challenge with his mind and body (and some help from PIS) and seduce any woman he can find (human or non-human). One of the reasons why people love superhero stories is that feeling of escapism and there is really no better escapist character than Batman.

3) Tone of comic reflects society - Or at least what we THINK our society is (I think it's wrong though IMO), dark, cynical, corrupt and gritty. Which comic reflects these the best....Batman .

On the other hand, one of the reasons why people hate Batman is not just that they feel he's overexposed but rather statements from his fans like this ^

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ganon15

I think that there are several things that factor into why everyone seems to love Batman.

2) Escapist Fantasy - Let's face it, who wouldn't want to be a handsome billionaire who can overcome any challenge with his mind and body (and some help from PIS) and seduce any woman he can find (human or non-human). One of the reasons why people love superhero stories is that feeling of escapism and there is really no better escapist character than Batman.

Except getting over his parents' death lol

@the_stegman said:

On the other hand, one of the reasons why people hate Batman is not just that they feel he's overexposed but rather statements from his fans like this ^

This^

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's Batman.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of all, because he has no superpowers, and that's what makes him appeal as badass. If he had superpowers, he'd be like any other hero with a tragic backstory. But because he's honed himself to be able to keep up with meta humans and even super beings, that's what makes him appealing to most people. The fact that he's almost just like us. And this

@ganon15 said:

From what I'm seeing here everyone loves Batman mainly because of the DCAU version of him. You know, the one that made everyone else in the Justice League his b*tches.. (courtesy of Bruce Timm)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RustyRoy

Pretty much this.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of all, because he has no superpowers, and that's what makes him appeal as badass. If he had superpowers, he'd be like any other hero with a tragic backstory. But because he's honed himself to be able to keep up with meta humans and even super beings, that's what makes him appealing to most people. The fact that he's almost just like us. And this

@ganon15 said:

From what I'm seeing here everyone loves Batman mainly because of the DCAU version of him. You know, the one that made everyone else in the Justice League his b*tches.. (courtesy of Bruce Timm)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It's hard to find him any more relatable than Superman when you see him doing loads of impossible bullish*t like dodging omega beams, knocking Sinestro out cold with a batarang and pretty much never failing.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15 said:

@retconcrisis said:

@ganon15 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

It's hard to find him any more relatable than Superman when you see him doing loads of impossible bullish*t like dodging omega beams, knocking Sinestro out cold with a batarang and pretty much never failing.

Well, no one likes that stuff unless they're real hardcore BatBoys. I still really enjoyed the two JL shows nonetheless.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the better question is why everyone keep asking '' why everyone hates batman or why everyone loves batman '' the answer is unknown so just let it go the answers you going to get are not gonna be satisfying

The_Nerd_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is great because he has a great rogues gallery of original villains(Superman's villains: alien kings/warlords/whatever, superpowerfull robots, and a bald guy who always magically has some kryptonite lying around).

But what I think is most important is that Batman has created his own universe within DC. You're getting sick of dark, brooding Batman? Well, here's bright, cheery Nightwing to even things out. You want a younger version. Here's Tim Drake. You want a total psychopath? Read about Jason Todd or Azrael.

And of course, there's Batgirl, Alfred, Huntress, and more. The only one I don't really like is Damian. Sorry, it just feels like giving the guy a son kind of messes up the Batman dynamic.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The better question would be why doesn't everyone love him? His comics are grade A+ material. His story and character are a more realistic and believable setting versus every other hero who have these silly/goofy powers. His comics are a lot more interesting in just every aspect then everyone elses. It leave you wondering what gadget/gizmo he has next, what plan is he thinking that he might or might not tell the reader. Now if you read someone like Superman/ Wonder Woman they gets knocked through 8 building and get back up like nothing, they get 3 buildings slammed on them that explode and go up in flames while there under it all, they stand by up and laugh at you and say try harder. People find reading about characters who are practically pretty much physically invincible to be more boring, stale and just not as fun about reading about the guy who can be hurt. Like a video game you cannot die, lose, or be hurt in, you're going to get bored in about 5 minutes there is no aspect of challenge or fun in that. Btw I like Superman, and Love Wonder Woman I own all their comics and have nothing against these characters whats so ever.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Gracetrack

He's a mere mortal (no powers of any kind) who stands up to "gods" and still watches out for "the little guy," and he's respected by both. He's right about not killing, and he doesn't abandon that conviction when it might be convenient (thank you, writers).

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: i believe it's the villains that make Batman truly great. His rogues gallery is unprecedented, each villain has a unique personality, look and character. Many of his villains manifest the facets of Batman's own personality.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe he's the only superhero that transcends the genre and belongs among the greatest characters in fiction. A lot of the appeal is the psychology of Batman and how his villains are used to dissect it.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The better question would be why doesn't everyone love him? His comics are grade A+ material. His story and character are a more realistic and believable setting versus every other hero who have these silly/goofy powers.

Just because Batman doesn't have 'goofy' powers doesn't mean his story and setting is anymore realistic.

His comics are a lot more interesting in just every aspect then everyone elses.

Subjective

It leave you wondering what gadget/gizmo he has next, what plan is he thinking that he might or might not tell the reader. Now if you read someone like Superman/ Wonder Woman they gets knocked through 8 building and get back up like nothing, they get 3 buildings slammed on them that explode and go up in flames while there under it all, they stand by up and laugh at you and say try harder.

Nice stereotyping of characters as if that's the extent of their stories.

People find reading about characters who are practically pretty much physically invincible to be more boring, stale and just not as fun about reading about the guy who can be hurt. Like a video game you cannot die, lose, or be hurt in, you're going to get bored in about 5 minutes there is no aspect of challenge or fun in that.

Because they don't have villains that match if not surpass them and stakes that often dwarf Batman's normal priorities of one city's well being.

Btw I like Superman, and Love Wonder Woman I own all their comics and have nothing against these characters whats so ever.

You have all their comics? Impressive.

You calling people having powers silly/goofy and calling them boring because they don't get hurt by getting sent through buildings makes your statement suspect.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By CaptainUzi
No Caption Provided

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BlackWind

Wish fulfillment character.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 560

@bezza: I got to say I was thinking that myself and personally I like him because he literally has the best villains. most of my favourite villains are from Batman. He also has some of the best supporting characters, people like James Gordon 7 Alfred Pennyworth.

I also find I get botred of other heroes because they have powers and people write the powers differently like one comic superman can lift 3 tons and someone new writes him and now he can lift 150 ton ect...

There are a few things that get tied up in batman but hes human ( he must have durability though, haha.) Also I really enjoy seeing his sidekicks run around. Barbara Gordon & Jason Todd are 2 of my other favourite superheroes and also have a spot for Damian 7 Nightwing also. So he has alot going for him in that regard.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ariesxmasters

@gjgp27 said:

@the_nerd_king: @ariesxmasters: spoken like a true ignorant batfan

@ariesxmasters said:

The better question would be why doesn't everyone love him? His comics are grade A+ material. His story and character are a more realistic and believable setting versus every other hero who have these silly/goofy powers.

Just because Batman doesn't have 'goofy' powers doesn't mean his story and setting is anymore realistic.

His comics are a lot more interesting in just every aspect then everyone elses.

Subjective

It leave you wondering what gadget/gizmo he has next, what plan is he thinking that he might or might not tell the reader. Now if you read someone like Superman/ Wonder Woman they gets knocked through 8 building and get back up like nothing, they get 3 buildings slammed on them that explode and go up in flames while there under it all, they stand by up and laugh at you and say try harder.

People find reading about characters who are practically pretty much physically invincible to be more boring, stale and just not as fun about reading about the guy who can be hurt. Like a video game you cannot die, lose, or be hurt in, you're going to get bored in about 5 minutes there is no aspect of challenge or fun in that.

Because they don't have villains that match if not surpass them and stakes that often dwarf Batman's normal priorities of one city's well being.

Btw I like Superman, and Love Wonder Woman I own all their comics and have nothing against these characters whats so ever.

You calling people having powers silly/goofy and calling them boring because they don't get hurt by getting sent through buildings makes your statement suspect.

gjgp27: Look at sales numbers, don't take my word for it.

night4345: You took a more intelligent approach toward it then the guy above who who took a more of a salty approach and was just plain rude, for no reason either.

"Just because Batman doesn't have 'goofy' powers doesn't mean his story and setting is anymore realistic."

Actually it does I mean obviously some of it is fantasy it is a comic so it is for entertainment. That could be someone in real life a billionaire, with gadgets, a bat costume a car that look like a bat, a secret hide out. Obviously him like pretty much knowing everything, and being ridiculously prepared is unrealistic and fiction. Lets look at Superman now. A man who can fly,shoot heat from his eyes, bullets don't hurt him, he can lift up cars, he is solar powered, from the planet krypton, can survive explosions unharmed the list goes on.

Subjective

We'll say that, but I just was going by sales numbers so take it with a grain of salt.

I am??

Ohh Thanks for clearing that up.

That was not the intention. I think you mistook this so I won't comment on that.

I was just doing a comparison. I can understand how that can seem subjective though. I way saying compared to Batman they can seem boring and kind of stale. As characters I have nothing against them though. I think you think I don't like them as characters which is not true. I don't own comics of heroes I don't like.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The better question would be why doesn't everyone love him? His comics are grade A+ material. His story and character are a more realistic and believable setting versus every other hero who have these silly/goofy powers. His comics are a lot more interesting in just every aspect then everyone elses. It leave you wondering what gadget/gizmo he has next, what plan is he thinking that he might or might not tell the reader. Now if you read someone like Superman/ Wonder Woman they gets knocked through 8 building and get back up like nothing, they get 3 buildings slammed on them that explode and go up in flames while there under it all, they stand by up and laugh at you and say try harder. People find reading about characters who are practically pretty much physically invincible to be more boring, stale and just not as fun about reading about the guy who can be hurt.Like a video game you cannot die, lose, or be hurt in, you're going to get bored in about 5 minutes there is no aspect of challenge or fun in that. Btw I like Superman, and Love Wonder Woman I own all their comics and have nothing against these characters whats so ever.

• I don't read a comic for realistic and believable. I read to get sucked into a different place. Where science is far more advanced, where people can lift cars over their heads and face larger than life threats that seem insurmountable.
  • Not when their written well and the story is entertaining, which can be the case at times. I went back and read Volume 1 of Action Comics from the New 52 and I quite enjoyed it. Despite the fact he was getting knocked around and running over 600 MPHs.
  • I don't really think you can compare Comics and Games. Too different.

Personally, I don't like Batman because I find him a bit boring, really. I mean, he's kind of cool, I guess, but there's nothing that really sticks with me. At least not as far as Bruce is concerned. (Terry is another story.) While I do think he has spawned a pretty impressive universe as Jason Todd, Harley, and Terry McGinniss are three of my favorite characters, among others, I don't see much more story-telling value in Batman.

He just doesn't strike me as having much of a personality. At least not one that appeals to me.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: We'll say that, but I just was going by sales numbers so take it with a grain of salt.

Sales numbers doesn't equal more interesting stories.

I am??

Yes, you did. Not all powered heroes' stories are punch fests. Now do they happen a lot? Yes but just as much as Batman gets into fist fights.

That was not the intention. I think you mistook this so I won't comment on that.

It was a joke.

I was just doing a comparison. I can understand how that can seem subjective though. I way saying compared to Batman they can seem boring and kind of stale.

As I said subjective. Some people find mysteries and martial arts more interesting than scifi and fist fights that send people flying across cities while others are the opposite.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Saint_Sophie

It's cause he's Batman.

IMO I find it bs if you relate to him cause he's human, billionaire + genius + superhuman durabilty and near peak human strength = relatable? I know he's a comic book character and I get that each person has their own reasons for liking him or somehow relating to him, my guess is the tv shows and movies made from popular to non comic book readers, that and he's dark and edgy :p

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ariesxmasters

@scouterv said:

@ariesxmasters said:

The better question would be why doesn't everyone love him? His comics are grade A+ material. His story and character are a more realistic and believable setting versus every other hero who have these silly/goofy powers. His comics are a lot more interesting in just every aspect then everyone elses. It leave you wondering what gadget/gizmo he has next, what plan is he thinking that he might or might not tell the reader. Now if you read someone like Superman/ Wonder Woman they gets knocked through 8 building and get back up like nothing, they get 3 buildings slammed on them that explode and go up in flames while there under it all, they stand by up and laugh at you and say try harder. People find reading about characters who are practically pretty much physically invincible to be more boring, stale and just not as fun about reading about the guy who can be hurt.Like a video game you cannot die, lose, or be hurt in, you're going to get bored in about 5 minutes there is no aspect of challenge or fun in that. Btw I like Superman, and Love Wonder Woman I own all their comics and have nothing against these characters whats so ever.

• I don't read a comic for realistic and believable. I read to get sucked into a different place. Where science is far more advanced, where people can lift cars over their heads and face larger than life threats that seem insurmountable.
  • Not when their written well and the story is entertaining, which can be the case at times. I went back and read Volume 1 of Action Comics from the New 52 and I quite enjoyed it. Despite the fact he was getting knocked around and running over 600 MPHs.

Personally, I don't like Batman because I find him a bit boring, really. I mean, he's kind of cool, I guess, but there's nothing that really sticks with me. At least not as far as Bruce is concerned. (Terry is another story.) While I do think he has spawned a pretty impressive universe as Jason Todd, Harley, and Terry McGinniss are three of my favorite characters, among others, I don't see much more story-telling value in Batman.

He just doesn't strike me as having much of a personality. At least not one that appeals to me.

I look at his personality as when it comes to crime he is all about business. As a person I wouldn't look at him as really mean just serious and down to business when it comes to innocents getting hurt.

I can see how the way I wrote that can make it sound like I don't like Clark or Diana, and for that I apologies but I do like them. I was just kind of saying for me I think of Batman as breath of fresh air from all the powers, that why I like him more.

Why do you find terry more appealing than Bruce? I'm curious.

As far as the comparing game to comics I meant like just knowing your character won't come anything close to dieing whats so ever.

The thread was why does everyone love Batman those were my reason's I know I did step on Clark's and Diana's toe a little in it, but I just wanted to make sure I got my point across.

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not? Gotham has a great atmosphere and the villains are great and the way Batman solve his problem are great so it just make it perfect.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: We'll say that, but I just was going by sales numbers so take it with a grain of salt.

Sales numbers doesn't equal more interesting stories.

I am??

Yes, you did. Not all powered heroes' stories are punch fests. Now do they happen a lot? Yes but just as much as Batman gets into fist fights.

It was a joke.

I was just doing a comparison. I can understand how that can seem subjective though. I way saying compared to Batman they can seem boring and kind of stale.

As I said subjective. Some people find mysteries and martial arts more interesting than scifi and fist fights that send people flying across cities while others are the opposite.

"Sales numbers doesn't equal more interesting stories."

That is true. But sales do determine a lot and sales are kind of what you go by when judging most things because that means it is in some shape or form appealing one way or another.

This I will say is mostly false. They are mostly punch fests but it is understandable because they have powers and can pretty much do brainless rush down with their powers to back them, so I am in no way faulting them I mean if I had those powers too, who cares a bout a plan or anything?

Batman does get into a good amount of fist fights, but he mixes it up more and often has a plan if he is not to pissed about the situation.

That is true I won't deny that. What I am saying is a good amount opinion and preference based. Now does every Batman fan think like that, to be honest most Batman fan like him for him being so dark and his past and all that as do I. I was taking a more comic book comparison approach about it, comparing him to other heroes.

I understand the way I put it, it can be taken as me completely shi**ing all over Diana and Clark which I'm trying to say is not the case.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a great character, the Bruce Wayne/Batman dynamic is awesome, his relationship with his villains and supporting characters are great, his villains are great, supporting cast is great, he's stories are considered one of the best, he has very interesting relationship with other DCU characters, Gotham is awesome, his universe is very diverse, he himself is pretty changeable and adaptable, there has been many different takes on the character, he has been successful in every kind of media, he has cool gadgets and is smart, he has a Batcave, Batmobiles and many Battechs. Also because he's BATMAN.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: That is true. But sales do determine a lot and sales are kind of what you go by when judging most things because that means it is in some shape or form appealing one way or another.

'Interesting' and 'appealing' is entirely subjective. Batman is what is popular right now and it's impossible to separate who buys a comic because of Batman or because it's actually interesting.

This I will say is mostly false. They are mostly punch fests but it is understandable because they have powers and can pretty much do brainless rush down with their powers to back them, so I am in no way faulting them I mean if I had those powers too, who cares a bout a plan or anything?

Superman (going to be my example as I know him the best) uses his brains and skills plenty of times. Does he do it all the time? No but with all the damage his enemies can do in a few seconds while he's getting something you can't blame him.

Batman does get into a good amount of fist fights, but he mixes it up more and often has a plan if he is not to pissed about the situation.

As above they don't correlate well. Different leagues of enemies and threat levels to civilians.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By leonkarlen123
No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@ariesxmasters said:

I look at his personality as when it comes to crime he is all about business. As a person I wouldn't look at him as really mean just serious and down to business when it comes to innocents getting hurt.

I can see how the way I wrote that can make it sound like I don't like Clark or Diana, and for that I apologies but I do like them. I was just kind of saying for me I think of Batman as breath of fresh air from all the powers, that why I like him more.

As far as the comparing game to comics I meant like just knowing your character won't come anything close to dieing whats so ever.

The thread was why does everyone love Batman those were my reason's I know I did step on Clark's and Diana's toe a little in it, but I just wanted to make sure I got my point across.

I would understand that more if there weren't so many Batman books. Eternal, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, etc. It's really at a point where you could realistically separate Gotham from the entirety of the DC Universe and still have an engaging and fun storytelling narrative, and I also believe that it would ease some of the tension with non-Bat fans. I understand, you're a huge Batman fan. And it's hard to sometimes to word your reasons without sounding confrontational when it comes to powerhouses like Superman and Wonder Woman, but I get what you were saying.

I get that, and he's right to a certain extent. However, that kind of fed into why I prefer Terry to Bruce as Batman. It's why Brave and The Bold is my second favorite Batman series after Beyond. There was just more there to Terry. He had the whole tragic upbringing, but I also identified with him more than I ever could with Bruce. Like Terry, I grew up with a younger sibling and my mother in a single-parent home. I wasn't a trouble-maker by any stretch though, and we had similar relationships with our fathers (though thankfully, mine is still alive.) Along with that, he was closer to my age when he took on the Batsuit, and unlike Batman he wasn't some paragon of physical and mental perfection. He was young, he made mistakes, he joked (and his jokes were funny.) He didn't have the somewhat impressive Rogues Gallery that Bruce had, but he made up for it as a character (along with a few bright spots like Blight.) Even Bruce seemed a better character in Beyond than TAS. You know how high in regard people hold the Animated Series for Batman? I do that for Beyond, (though both still fall short of Static Shock.)

But do you really ever feel like Bruce is in danger? I mean, how many times has he beaten The Joker? Bane? Killer Croc? Scarecrow? Riddler? Talia? Ra's? What makes him in any more danger than say...Superman fighting Zod, Brainiac, Imperiex, Luthor, Parasite, or Doomsday?

It's an odd point of reference, but I think the song "He Drives Us Bats," from The Brave and The Bold is a good example of why Batman is arguably in less trouble than any other hero facing their foes, and some of my reasons for not being interested in him.

Loading Video...

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: That is true. But sales do determine a lot and sales are kind of what you go by when judging most things because that means it is in some shape or form appealing one way or another.

'Interesting' and 'appealing' is entirely subjective. Batman is what is popular right now and it's impossible to separate who buys a comic because of Batman or because it's actually interesting.

Superman (going to be my example as I know him the best) uses his brains and skills plenty of times. Does he do it all the time? No but with all the damage his enemies can do in a few seconds while he's getting something you can't blame him.

As above they don't correlate well. Different leagues of enemies and threat levels to civilians.

Yeah I 100% can understand what you mean there on that one. But you can say that for pretty much just about any comic.

That I disagree on. As stated I above just about any New 52 comic with Superman in it I have on this laptop and I can only say like twice he actually used his brain and that was when he had no choice the threat was to much. Against General Lane (Lois Lane Father) and Wraith. General Lane has weapons that were strong enough Superman invulnerability wouldn't save him and wraith was just superior in every way to Superman. Then again on the flip side he usually doesn't have to think because he has his powers to lean on which I'm not saying is necessarily a fault of the character. Same goes for Diana but she is a amazon and actually knows how to fight even if she lost her powers she would give Bruce a run for his money in a one on one. While Bruce knows martial arts and other fighting styles she was raised and trained by amazons and ares.

True but that is what makes Batman favorable and likeable to so many. What is big to Batman is not big to Superman. Batman goes in a fight with a very different mindset then Superman.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: But you can say that for pretty much just about any comic.

Exactly

That I disagree on. As stated I above just about any New 52 comic with Superman in it I have on this laptop and I can only say like twice he actually used his brain and that was when he had no choice the threat was to much. Against General Lane (Lois Lane Father) and Wraith. General Lane has weapons that were strong enough Superman invulnerability wouldn't save him and wraith was just superior in every way to Superman.

He froze a water spiral to stop a building (can't remember the name) from collapsing, made the phantom zone projector suck up Warworld, microwaved equipment when he was captured by the US government, super-speed read medical texts to operate on Lois Lane, helped fix a building at super-speed after it was destroyed in a fight, regularly splits his heat-vision to hit multiple targets, etc.

Then again on the flip side he usually doesn't have to think because he has his powers to lean on which I'm not saying is necessarily a fault of the character. Same goes for Diana but she is a amazon and actually knows how to fight even if she lost her powers she would give Bruce a run for his money in a one on one. While Bruce knows martial arts and other fighting styles she was raised and trained by amazons and ares.

True but that is what makes Batman favorable and likeable to so many. What is big to Batman is not big to Superman. Batman goes in a fight with a very different mindset then Superman.

Yet Batman is the one always focusing on the mission to the detriment to his image and leans on people like Flash and Superman to keep the public from hating them while he hides in the shadows. It's ridiculous you say that Superman isn't the one noticing the small things or small people as that's literally what he did for years. Yes, they do go with different mindsets. Superman (even the angrier New-52 version) tries to convince the people causing havoc to stop while they can and he takes hits that he can dodge because it's safer than a civilian getting hit by a stray shot. They're two different people with different powers and situations that have to deal with.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@ariesxmasters said:

@scouterv said:

@ariesxmasters said:

I would understand that more if there weren't so many Batman books. Eternal, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, etc. It's really at a point where you could realistically separate Gotham from the entirety of the DC Universe and still have an engaging and fun storytelling narrative, and I also believe that it would ease some of the tension with non-Bat fans. I understand, you're a huge Batman fan. And it's hard to sometimes to word your reasons without sounding confrontational when it comes to powerhouses like Superman and Wonder Woman, but I get what you were saying.

I get that, and he's right to a certain extent. However, that kind of fed into why I prefer Terry to Bruce as Batman. It's why Brave and The Bold is my second favorite Batman series after Beyond. There was just more there to Terry. He had the whole tragic upbringing, but I also identified with him more than I ever could with Bruce. Like Terry, I grew up with a younger sibling and my mother in a single-parent home. I wasn't a trouble-maker by any stretch though, and we had similar relationships with our fathers (though thankfully, mine is still alive.) Along with that, he was closer to my age when he took on the Batsuit, and unlike Batman he wasn't some paragon of physical and mental perfection. He was young, he made mistakes, he joked (and his jokes were funny.) He didn't have the somewhat impressive Rogues Gallery that Bruce had, but he made up for it as a character (along with a few bright spots like Blight.) Even Bruce seemed a better character in Beyond than TAS. You know how high in regard people hold the Animated Series for Batman? I do that for Beyond, (though both still fall short of Static Shock.)

But do you really ever feel like Bruce is in danger? I mean, how many times has he beaten The Joker? Bane? Killer Croc? Scarecrow? Riddler? Talia? Ra's? What makes him in any more danger than say...Superman fighting Zod, Brainiac, Imperiex, Luthor, Parasite, or Doomsday?

It's an odd point of reference, but I think the song "He Drives Us Bats," from The Brave and The Bold is a good example of why Batman is arguably in less trouble than any other hero facing their foes, and some of my reasons for not being interested in him.

Loading Video...

I understand you, you can relate more to Terry than you can to Bruce which is fine. It also sounds like you're not to big a fan on Bruce's personality at all him being almost a too "Perfect human". I remember that scene from Batman Brave and the bold which is actually funny.

As far as me feeling as if Batman is going to die in certain situations. In most scenarios no truthfully. The thing that makes him in anymore danger is I guess the fact the he is not invulnerable like Superman. I mean Superman can get beat to a pulp by just about anyone and pretty much get back up like it never happened though of course bigger threats can challenge him a little more. Batman you know if he gets knocked down in most cases he is going to feel it and have a hard time getting back up.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By Cloakx14

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HE'S THE GODDAMN BATMAN

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: But you can say that for pretty much just about any comic.

Exactly

That I disagree on. As stated I above just about any New 52 comic with Superman in it I have on this laptop and I can only say like twice he actually used his brain and that was when he had no choice the threat was to much. Against General Lane (Lois Lane Father) and Wraith. General Lane has weapons that were strong enough Superman invulnerability wouldn't save him and wraith was just superior in every way to Superman.

He froze a water spiral to stop a building (can't remember the name) from collapsing, made the phantom zone projector suck up Warworld, microwaved equipment when he was captured by the US government, super-speed read medical texts to operate on Lois Lane, helped fix a building at super-speed after it was destroyed in a fight, regularly splits his heat-vision to hit multiple targets, etc.

Then again on the flip side he usually doesn't have to think because he has his powers to lean on which I'm not saying is necessarily a fault of the character. Same goes for Diana but she is a amazon and actually knows how to fight even if she lost her powers she would give Bruce a run for his money in a one on one. While Bruce knows martial arts and other fighting styles she was raised and trained by amazons and ares.

Yet Batman is the one always focusing on the mission to the detriment to his image and leans on people like Flash and Superman to keep the public from hating them while he hides in the shadows. It's ridiculous you say that Superman isn't the one noticing the small things or small people as that's literally what he did for years. Yes, they do go with different mindsets. Superman (even the angrier New-52 version) tries to convince the people causing havoc to stop while they can and he takes hits that he can dodge because it's safer than a civilian getting hit by a stray shot. They're two different people with different powers and situations that have to deal with.

Superman does have his moments every now and then I guess.

True but understand Batman is a public figure under that mask he is Bruce Wayne a celebrity and well known billionaire. Superman is just a reporter and is no where near as known as Bruce. Bruce's image is a little more important to protect then Clark's. If Batman was like Clark I'm sure he would take hits for civilians too. But he doesn't have that kind of power. The most he can do is get them out of the area.