• 64 results
#1 Edited by Bezza (3400 posts) - - Show Bio

#

was pondering this yesterday as its a bit odd in some ways that one of the only superheroes without any super powers seems in some ways to be the most popular of all with comic book fans. Wonder why people think this is? Is it the fact that because he is the most human of all we relate most to him, compared with the more god like superman. Either that or is it a combination of the following..

1) The 1960s tv series that many of my generation watched, giving us our first taste of a superhero.

2) the James bond style gadgets,

3) the brooding bad boy persona that is perhaps cooler than boy scout clark,

4) the fact that batman was the only hero in the late 80s and 90s to get any films, therefore hooking another generation of fans who had no other superhero character to watch on the big screen, i.e all you people currently aged between 25 and 30

5) The brilliant Chris Nolan films.

6) he has to use guile and cunning due to the fact that he doesn't have super powers

7) his enemies, particularly Joker, Penguin and Riddler have such a long history and are such strong characters themselves.

What do you lot think?

#2 Edited by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of superheroes don't have powers. Batman has just been around for a long time.

#3 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's Batman.

#4 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

You forgot the DCAU, friend. BTAS and JL/JLU especially were what got me into the character.

#5 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

is why

#6 Edited by Strider92 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't love Batman. I'm indifferent towards him don't hate him but i'm not a fan either. I dropped his series after "Death Of The Family" (something most people would call sacrilege lol) for Harbinger.

#7 Posted by CheeseSticks (2387 posts) - - Show Bio

More mature, darker, best villains, great stories, great universe (Gotham) and Batman is a very great character. What do you need more ?

#8 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

great universe (Gotham)

Think he means from a storytelling perspective. I'd be scared sh*tless if I had to live there.

#10 Posted by CheeseSticks (2387 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@warlock360 said:

@cheesesticks said:

great universe (Gotham)

Think he means from a storytelling perspective. I'd be scared sh*tless if I had to live there.

Exactly, thanks

#11 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why, it's not like Batman is in anyway unique

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

because F*ck you He's batman :P

#13 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by RustyRoy (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many reasons.

#15 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont love him

#16 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

I initially became interesting in him while watching JLU. I then read Morrison run JLA and became even more interested in his character. I find his story is the most inspirational, and the message his story conveys is the most applicable to the real world. The story of a man who worked and trained until he reached physical perfection and became the smarted hero in the DCU. Standing as one of the Justice Leagues most valuable and respected members. This story leaves the message that if you work hard, greatness will come.

His comics have been consistently good, mind bending and intellectually challenging stories for years.

His villains are incredibly interesting, especially the new ones. The court of Owls, Dr. Simon Hurt, the three ghosts of Batman, all of these characters are fascinating and leave you craving to learn more about them. His classic villains, like Joker, all have a rich history themselves making them very strong characters.

Oh and on top of all of this.....HE'S THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

#17 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7593 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza:

Not everyone does love Batman. I don't know what there deal is. :P

I think you summed it up pretty nicely.

I think he owes a very large amount to the countless TV shows and movies that gain him popularity, then that factors into his massive reputation, and with every movie or TV show he gains more, and more people that get interested in his comics fueling his massive reputation even more, prompting DC makes more TV shows and the cycle starts all over again!

#18 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

#19 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7593 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by DarkDay (504 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@warlock360 said:

@cheesesticks said:

great universe (Gotham)

Exactly, thanks

Speaking of this, a friend of mine wishes to pitch a oneshot comic to DC where it's just Gotham cops trying to deal with regular crimes and then "Boom, out of nowhere" you get super villain attacks. It would be funny, plus he thinks it would explain why so many people don't just leave Gotham seeing as you can do whatever you want so long as Gotham is being Gotham.

*Man smoking a joint*

{Cop} "Stop right there sir. Do you have any other narcotics..."

*Explosion*

{Cop} "Oh my God, what on earth is that thing? Is that a giant bat? Are those ninjas? And clowns?"

{Man} "Think you should do something about that?"

*Cop runs off*

*Man continues to smoke joint*

#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Batman.

#22 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

hopping on the bandwagon and internet memes will make anyone uber popular for little reason

#23 Posted by Catsnlynne (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

This everyone does not love Batman.

#24 Posted by comicace3 (3469 posts) - - Show Bio

You might as well ask every body on comic vine why they like their favorite superhero. It's all a matter of opinion.

#25 Edited by jumpstart55 (2268 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn’t say everyone loves Batman, because I’ve meet who hate Batman, but for the ones that do like his character, its probably owed to the fact that he’s been saved from cultural annihilation or had interest re-sparked in him as a result of an unlikely savior, numerous times. The first time was the 1940s when Robin was given to him because he frightened children which boosted his popularity, the second time was in the late 1960s when DC thought about killing off Batman for good, because his sales started to plummet as a result of the campy 1960s TV show, and writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams tried their best to return Batman back to Bob Kane Bill Finger roots, and it worked but the circle was not complete until Frank rebooted Batman in the mid-1980s with The Dark Knight Returns a comic book that redefined what it meant to be a comic book. Then Tim Burton was given Directional duty as director of Batman(1989) which only helped Batman success. Then in 1995-1997 the Batman movie franchise was stabbed in the back by Joel Schumacher, and after 8 years of Batman movies being dead, Director Christopher Nolan Rebooted the Batman movie franchise with Batman: Begins(2005), and it was followed by two billion dollar grossing hit blockbusters. And as a result Batman has become all the more culturally enduring, not mention the fact that he’s also a pretty entertaining character and loads of fun to read as well. And oh yea, Batman owes a lot to think the Arkham Asylum-Arkham City video game series. Well at-least in the video game community he does anyway.

#26 Posted by jerfro23 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder got me reading his books

#27 Posted by NovaRichRider (327 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't love Batman. I'm not even remotely interested in him.

#28 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't love Batman. I'm not even remotely interested in him.

*hands you a remote*

Are you remotely interested in him now?

#29 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

No love for Batman here. However, I do love Dick. Dick is the best. Can't get enough Dick.

#30 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

No love for Batman here. However, I do love Dick. Dick is the best. Can't get enough Dick.

*COUGH *COUGH*

*ahem.* *AHEEEEMMMMM*

*gags* *chokes*

*ugh* excuse me. Must be something in the air....

#31 Posted by acer51 (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's not the hero Gotham needs, but the one they deserve.

#32 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the goddamn Batman

#33 Edited by NovaRichRider (327 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist:

re·mote·ly

/riˈmōtlē/

Adverb
  1. From a distance; without physical contact.
  2. In the slightest degree

Synonyms
far - afar - off - slightly
#34 Posted by Ostyo (6731 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman isn't very interesting to me personally, I can't related well to the characte or get invested in his story, and that makes for a boring read.

Like his sidekicks though.

#35 Edited by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@ostyo: Do you like Dick? I love Dick. Dick is the best.

#36 Edited by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Michael Keaton's Batman brought him to the public's eye as a major icon, then the subsequent movies and The Animated Series secured that spot.

He also has the greatest rogues gallery and possibly the best supporting cast in ongoing comics.

I don't hold him as highly as many people do, but his love is definitely not undeserved.

#37 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why, it's not like Batman is in anyway unique

You're kidding right

#38 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5512 posts) - - Show Bio

Some days, you just can't rid of a bomb or people that can't accept the fact......HE'S BATMAN!!!!!!!!

#39 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10362 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he an awesome character,with awesome stories, with awesome sidekicks,with awesome villain ,with awesome movies based off him and he has on of the best animated series ever.

#40 Posted by sagejonathan (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

He's is the ultimate bad@ss that doesn't need powers. It's that simple. Also, there's a bit of connection knowing that anyone including you can theoretically become as great as him.

#41 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

The main reason that I've heard from my friends is that he has no powers and thus is more believable.

I'm sorry, his level of physical perfection is unattainable in the real world and frankly, sometimes he does stuff that is just as ridiculous as what Superman does; but at least Superman has an excuse.

#42 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people always feel this need to compare batman to Superman. I see this all the time.

#43 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

He can be mended into ways that can catch the attention of a wide audience.

#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by JulieDC (871 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman the animated series changed the way superhero cartoons were done and without the DCAU or Young Justice, I probably would not have read comics.

Although I only like batman because without him, I wouldn't have my favorite characters: tim and dick.

#46 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad someone brought up Gotham. probably the only city in comics that is like a character in and of itself..if that makes sense.

#48 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza:

He's relatable. Otherwise, Batman wouldn't exist.

#49 Edited by ganon15 (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I'm seeing here everyone loves Batman mainly because of the DCAU version of him. You know, the one that made everyone else in the Justice League his b*tches.. (courtesy of Bruce Timm)

#50 Posted by TerryBogard2014 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Because hes had hits on practically every level