#101 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

im a dc fan but i like marvel and if you think everybody thinks marvel is better than DC that just depends on what sorta people you hang around

#102 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot said:

"t just depends on what sorta people you hang around "

Only drug addicts like Top Cow, it's a known fact.
#103 Posted by Catastrophic (312 posts) - - Show Bio
@cold_fuzion said:
" The real question is: why does it matter to you?  Who care what everyone else likes? Read what you want and skip the rest. "
Surprised the thread spread up to four pages, even after this post.
#104 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @Dracade102 said:
" Marvel is seriously going downhill these days. Especially The Amazing Spider-man. "
Lies. Mac Gargan as Venom is epic. :P "
O Rly?
#105 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio







JLA(Battle Pose)




JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
#106 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's 'everybody'?

#107 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter said:
"





"
No Guy?  But you got Kilowog?
#108 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter: Nice pics.
Online
#109 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently i'm part of the 'nobody" group that likes DC better overall.
Imo among Action Comics, everything going on with Batman, and The new Flash series that DC is just killing it right now.  
But Marvel has their goods too. Jonathan Hickman is a FORCE to be reckoned with for sure. 
Anyways, hopefully making this thread helped you connect with some other people that don't necessarily like Marvel better :)

#110 Edited by gethere (164 posts) - - Show Bio

I am one, who like both DC and marvel,DC has strong characters  who what they represent that can leave huge imprints on people, but is sometimes DC writers are very lazy with stories that combine with the continuity errors that have often  that can mixed up anyone who are just trying out their comic. Though at least DC is trying to fix that. Marvel is more connected many events that happen tens to affect the entire continuity without to much of a need to explain, marvel character tent to also have strong emotional background that with often play a huge part for that character. Though  marvel writers from time to time( a lot lately) will also come up with horrible stories that do nothing but ruin that character. So both DC and marvel have there pros and their cons they both like to copy off each other that no secret.  

#111 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
" @Dracade102 said:
" Marvel is seriously going downhill these days. Especially The Amazing Spider-man. "
Lies. Mac Gargan as Venom is epic. :P "
O Rly? "
Don't even try that. :P
#112 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123:
i've wondered, y is it even called that
#113 Posted by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio

I lurv DC... and I luft Marvel... and I hart Veritgo... and I desire Image... and I marry Top Cow... and I avid Darkhorse... and I etc, ect.
#114 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

a better question would be, why do so many people only read Marvel and DC?

#115 Posted by lax2themaxx (15 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is more complicated i feel...and Marvel to me seems really goofy cause of the alliterations in the heroes names...yea i know some dc guys have alliterations but seriously Peter Parker is lame. lol.  Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Ollie Queen, Ray Palmer good strong names.  

#116 Posted by AssertingValor (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was the other way around on this site!! aside from hulk and deapool fans.........................................
#117 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@ebuchanan said:
" I thought it was the other way around on this site!! aside from hulk and deapool fans......................................... "
oh nonononono. 5 to 1 for Marvel on comicvine. And it screws the debates because all the Marvel fans think DC heroes are waaaaay stronger than  they are.
#118 Posted by JediXMan (29513 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:

I'm trying to find it. There was a poll awhile back that showed what the majority of this site was.
Online
#119 Posted by SC (12678 posts) - - Show Bio

Perplexingly I find the question, is why do people like to generalize each other and themselves in such absolute, over simplified terms. Marvel and DC isn't like boys and girls. Who do most boys like girls more than boys, *loud and aggressive scream* I understand competitiveness, and liking something so much you try and undermine the things its in competition with, and this is actually true in quite a lot of contexts in comics. I have known some Storm fans who try and emphasis how she is such a positive female role model, but Rogue and Jean weren't, and so Storm was better. Or alternatively, ask why more people like Jean, under the impression Storm should be more popular, liked, or the impression that someone can't be both a fan of Jean or Storm, or impartial to both, or like neither, anything that isn't love or hate. Apply this to writers as well? Why does everybody like Morrison more than Fraction, Pak more than Loeb, teams? X-Men over Avengers, JLA over JSA, and companies. Marvel over DC, or DC over Marvel? The bigger you go, the broader you get. The more generalized the points and arguments and the stranger I find anyone trying to claim exclusivity with positives or negatives with either company, and usually the more subjective the evaluation. 


I know Marvel, what I would consider Marvel fan boys who think DC doesn't have any flawed characters? Yet do they read Secret Six? No. They are just appeasing their own ignorance of some very great DC examples of a book led with flawed characters. Its good not because they are flawed characters, but the writing. Its a good example of writing flawed characters, they will be bad examples as well. Likewise I know DC fans, what I would consider fan boys who think Marvel is kids stuff and not complicated and do they read X-Factor? Shield? Its the same thing as the Marvel fan. 

Another thing I find perplexing is people noting finding a character relatable to so foolishly thinking that means you can't relate to a character. People seriously aren't that limited in their thinking are they? Do they literally think characters are designed specifically for them? What you find relatable in a character is relative! Its suppose to differ by design. I can't walk in the middle of a sun, but I like martial arts and history and I have an appreciation of scale. So Thor I can't relate to, because he is a warrior type. Hercules too. They consider battle a healthy and positive thing. I consider boxing and MMA the same way. I can relate to them more than I can with Spider-man, that doesn't mean I think Spider-man isn't relatable. I can see how he is quite easily. Just not for me, but shock horror the world does not revolve around me. Lots of DC characters, I and others can relate to as well. Thats not the only reason people like characters either. 

So ultimately not everyone likes Marvel better than DC, and the reason some do, is the same reason you like DC more, only a little bit different, just like every single other thing ever in life. (I like girls... girls are sort of like boys, except they smell better, look better, and have some small but important physical differences... but they still have two legs, two arms, a head, skin, blood, eyes, mouths, blood, emotions... their are more similarities than differences - Marvel and DC has even more similarities than differences) 

Now that only bit part that makes a more predominant Marvel fan over DC? Well... I think its the characters. DC has three über iconic characters. I tend to think a lot of their readership, casual fans, are drawn into DC because of those characters. This is not a good or bad thing. It like would require Marvel's top ten to 15 characters to maybe equal the same amount of fans. This actually creates an interesting dynamic though, because characters can be gateways into other characters, and so your creating a bigger fan to your products. Or to provide an example, what DC is doing right now/and has been doing with Green Lantern is huge and great and effectively creating another cornerstone character/franchise that has the potential to grow and become a character seen in 40 years like Batman/Superman/WW are now. What is happening to Green Lantern now is better for DC as a whole. Its making a bunch of other new characters pretty popular and well liked. Various Lanterns? Lantern Corps. Might just be a phase... Marvel sort of had Spider-man and Hulk, X-Men, including Wolverine? Though none of them were on the level of say Batman/Superman. Still Marvel had enough medium level franchises to sort of hold a dominant position. I feel they have fluctuated though. Recent years Avengers has risen, though X-Men have fallen somewhat. Deadpool was a phase and could have been used much better... Thor could get big maybe... still, I tend to think Marvel has more accessible characters, the right type of characters too, and most casual fans are either fans of a certain number of characters or writers, and so story quality won't matter. Now forum type fans are a different breed... 
Moderator
#120 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

I pick and choose from each. I'm also fond of Dark Horse and Dynamite. If it's a good read, I really don't care what logo is on the cover.

#121 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12495 posts) - - Show Bio

i love em both equally. they may have their downpoints but their still the companies who built the legacies that we all grew up
#122 Posted by CapFanboy (4520 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" Perplexingly I find the question, is why do people like to generalize each other and themselves in such absolute, over simplified terms. Marvel and DC isn't like boys and girls. Who do most boys like girls more than boys, *loud and aggressive scream* I understand competitiveness, and liking something so much you try and undermine the things its in competition with, and this is actually true in quite a lot of contexts in comics. I have known some Storm fans who try and emphasis how she is such a positive female role model, but Rogue and Jean weren't, and so Storm was better. Or alternatively, ask why more people like Jean, under the impression Storm should be more popular, liked, or the impression that someone can't be both a fan of Jean or Storm, or impartial to both, or like neither, anything that isn't love or hate. Apply this to writers as well? Why does everybody like Morrison more than Fraction, Pak more than Loeb, teams? X-Men over Avengers, JLA over JSA, and companies. Marvel over DC, or DC over Marvel? The bigger you go, the broader you get. The more generalized the points and arguments and the stranger I find anyone trying to claim exclusivity with positives or negatives with either company, and usually the more subjective the evaluation. 

I know Marvel, what I would consider Marvel fan boys who think DC doesn't have any flawed characters? Yet do they read Secret Six? No. They are just appeasing their own ignorance of some very great DC examples of a book led with flawed characters. Its good not because they are flawed characters, but the writing. Its a good example of writing flawed characters, they will be bad examples as well. Likewise I know DC fans, what I would consider fan boys who think Marvel is kids stuff and not complicated and do they read X-Factor? Shield? Its the same thing as the Marvel fan. 

Another thing I find perplexing is people noting finding a character relatable to so foolishly thinking that means you can't relate to a character. People seriously aren't that limited in their thinking are they? Do they literally think characters are designed specifically for them? What you find relatable in a character is relative! Its suppose to differ by design. I can't walk in the middle of a sun, but I like martial arts and history and I have an appreciation of scale. So Thor I can't relate to, because he is a warrior type. Hercules too. They consider battle a healthy and positive thing. I consider boxing and MMA the same way. I can relate to them more than I can with Spider-man, that doesn't mean I think Spider-man isn't relatable. I can see how he is quite easily. Just not for me, but shock horror the world does not revolve around me. Lots of DC characters, I and others can relate to as well. Thats not the only reason people like characters either. 

So ultimately not everyone likes Marvel better than DC, and the reason some do, is the same reason you like DC more, only a little bit different, just like every single other thing ever in life. (I like girls... girls are sort of like boys, except they smell better, look better, and have some small but important physical differences... but they still have two legs, two arms, a head, skin, blood, eyes, mouths, blood, emotions... their are more similarities than differences - Marvel and DC has even more similarities than differences) 

Now that only bit part that makes a more predominant Marvel fan over DC? Well... I think its the characters. DC has three über iconic characters. I tend to think a lot of their readership, casual fans, are drawn into DC because of those characters. This is not a good or bad thing. It like would require Marvel's top ten to 15 characters to maybe equal the same amount of fans. This actually creates an interesting dynamic though, because characters can be gateways into other characters, and so your creating a bigger fan to your products. Or to provide an example, what DC is doing right now/and has been doing with Green Lantern is huge and great and effectively creating another cornerstone character/franchise that has the potential to grow and become a character seen in 40 years like Batman/Superman/WW are now. What is happening to Green Lantern now is better for DC as a whole. Its making a bunch of other new characters pretty popular and well liked. Various Lanterns? Lantern Corps. Might just be a phase... Marvel sort of had Spider-man and Hulk, X-Men, including Wolverine? Though none of them were on the level of say Batman/Superman. Still Marvel had enough medium level franchises to sort of hold a dominant position. I feel they have fluctuated though. Recent years Avengers has risen, though X-Men have fallen somewhat. Deadpool was a phase and could have been used much better... Thor could get big maybe... still, I tend to think Marvel has more accessible characters, the right type of characters too, and most casual fans are either fans of a certain number of characters or writers, and so story quality won't matter. Now forum type fans are a different breed... 
"
takes 10 minutes, but it's worth it
#123 Posted by entropy_aegis (14205 posts) - - Show Bio

This question is better suited for KMC.

#124 Posted by Omega-level Supreme (1159 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was really into science I loved Marvel, now that I'm crossing over to magic I'm getting into DC.
#125 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio


i like DC better

#126 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

DC has to many overpowered characters for me. But Marvel is full of mentally unstable anti-heroes and there is too much death and gore.
#127 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @Grim: I'm trying to find it. There was a poll awhile back that showed what the majority of this site was. "
they should do a new one every year or so.
#128 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both Marvel and DC but face it people like Marvel more because Marvel was more revolutionary. Marvel came to us with the anti-hero characters after Nam' and made Comics deeper. DC is good and all but don't you get sick of the whole "we have to save the world plot"
#129 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as mainstream hero comics go I prefer Marvel (though right now they're a fucking up on all kinds of levels). DC's heroes, outside of a select few, always bored me when I was younger. They were too powerful, too clean, too generic if you get me. I could relate to a Peter Parker more than Superman. I could relate to Thor more than Superman. Honestly, I'm not too invested in superhero comics I'll take an indy or a book from Image/Vertigo any day. Their works are far more interesting, challenging, and engaging. If I never read another Marvel or DC title for the rest of my life I could live happily. If I had to choose one of the big two at the moment I'd go with DC because the screwing up least, they at least have titles like Xombi & T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents going to keep me interested. Both need to seriously cease and desist with the company wide events though. Also one major advantage Marvel holds for readers is that there overall universe is far easier to comprehend and connect with. DC's reset their character's history twice forcing readers to deal with pre/post crisis origins and pre-post-post crisis origins.  

#130 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio


Damn... people still talking about this...

 

Both, Marvel and DC are the same bull$#/T for me, both have heroes, both have horrible and good storylines, and both have things worth to be read.... that is all...

#131 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
" a better question would be, why do so many people only read Marvel and DC? "
Bong bong, my man. Honestly the overall quality of both companies comics pales in comparison to Image/Vertigo. That's not counting all the other companies out there. 
#132 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool: 
ROFLMAO, well said, man. 
#133 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
" @Deadcool: ROFLMAO, well said, man.  "


Thanks
#134 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3449 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Marvel more than DC, but I will read any series written by Grant Morrison, no matter what company it's for.

#135 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darth_Revan_X: Wow, this is probably way too late. I grew up as a kid in the 90s and you're right, Marvel did have a bigger cartoon presence, but Batman: TAS and the Justice League (and Unlimited) cartoons were the ones I really watched a good deal of. I love Teen Titans, but the comics doesn't reflect the show at all, which disappoints me to no end.
#136 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

i like them both depends on what mood i am in to read

#137 Posted by The Stegman (23008 posts) - - Show Bio

eh i tend to like Dc more than marvel because the characters are in my opinion..just better, i see Dc as having superheroes while marvel has jerks with superpowers who occasionally stop with their own petty problems to do something heroic, but that being said...Spider-man is my all time favorite superhero...EVER...i can make a list on why i like that dude

#138 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be blunt here and say I really don't like DC at all.  Batman movies and his animated series were okay but I never really cared for his comics for the most part.  The vast majority of marvel I could honestly care less about you could kill off the avengers, x-men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Hulk, etc. and I would consider that a good thing.  Now there are only a few characters in marvel I like the obvious being the Punisher but I'm referring to Punisher's MAX series which is a different beast than the 616 Punisher.  I do like the 616 Punisher but it's not MAX.  To me DC just can't hold a candle to the MAX imprint of Punisher and Nick Fury.  Not to say all the different MAX comics were good because more than a few of them sucked it's just that I prefer Punisher's MAX series and soon to be Nick Fury MAX series  a lot more than anything else out there right now.   

#139 Posted by The Umbra Sorcerer (8129 posts) - - Show Bio

Im more for Marvel's side it's more entertaining for me.DC is just slightly grand for me.But I do like DC none the less but only some. And really it's just opinions.

#140 Posted by Mr. Ubiquitous (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

Easy...

(1) FAR...and I mean FAR better characters...better cool factor, more creative, & more unique overall.

(2) Marvel pacing, and action driven protocol for both art and writing.

(3) DC characters are for the MOST part...well, lame! Batman rocks, Deathstroke was intended to be a MARVEL villain (M. Wolfman designed him while at Marvel, before the move to DC in 1980)...after that, the rest are fairly dull, and insipid.

(4) Marvel Universe (not counting todays Marvel *cough* universe) but it utterly wiped the proverbial floor, with DC and their complete LACK of a continuity, or valid common "verse" of any kind....again, really LAME! (given they were doing this stuff before Marvel even existed)

(5) Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby....they were pioneers, not just industry talent. DC never had, nor ever will, have such a force of creative grandiosity ever again.

I could go on, but why bother....it hasn't REALLY been a competition (by the true definition of the word) for 50 years now!.....unless you just love DC and their characters...which is fine, but most don't.
#141 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

The only characters from Marvel I like are Bucky and Thor.

#142 Posted by Vitality (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I like the thought of superheroes to excape reality.......I find the "realism" of Marvel to be a much bigger draw.
#143 Posted by Manchine (3953 posts) - - Show Bio

I learned a long time ago.  DC Fanatics have the biggest mouths and Marvel Zombies are the most stubborn.  It just depends on your area.  Heck I read more Indy titles then I do Marvel or DC.
#144 Posted by Captain_Justice95 (399 posts) - - Show Bio

DC only good characters are the ones made 50 years ago, and sometimes DC makes no sense what so ever. I still dont get cyborg superman origin
#145 Posted by freakingbookworm (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Not me -- I like DC better. DC has Batman and Green Lantern. Image is awesome, too. I have to give Marvel some love because they do Stephen King comics, but DC > Marvel.

#146 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not too happy with Marvel right now. 

#147 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

Each published their fair share of crap.

#148 Posted by entropy_aegis (14205 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain_Justice95 said:
DC only good characters are the ones made 50 years ago, and sometimes DC makes no sense what so ever. I still dont get cyborg superman origin
Yet you get the Fantastic Fours' origin?
#149 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is Buffy
DC is Angel.

One is popular amongst people who just like escapism, the other is popular amongst people who enjoy intellectual stories.

#150 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a lot of characters from both DC and Marvel, but I only read DC books. I've said it a few times, I have always had a better knowledge of all things DC, so it made them easier for me to get into. I still read Marvel time and again and enjoy it, but with the exception of Spider-Man and the X-Men, I really don't have much clue what's going on, but that's not a detractor, the movies don't hurt either.


@katanalauncher said:
Each published their fair share of crap.
Also this, although purely based on preference, it is very true, it's not like either of them are constantly putting out gold.