#1 Edited by endofdays123 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe i missing something but can someone please tell me why everybody that seems to into comics likes marvel Way better than DC Comics quit frankyly its annoyinng. ver very Annoyinng. i mean i really hate marvel cause of the fact that the try to relate everything to current times and they think that they can try to relate characters like wolverine and Spiderman to me and you. By giving them personal traits and giving them rent problems and stuff. But no matter how hard you try u can't relate to people that can (crush the eastern see board which is really realy impossible for the hulk to be only at max 10 feet and crush the entire eastren sea board that a litle far fetch) i mean if u want to be realistic why is it that all of marvels hereos powers generate from some sort of radiotion i mean Bruce Banenr should have died there is no way you can survive a Gamma radiation bomb (TO THE FACE!!!)  and then the x-men have radiation in their DNA how does that make sense. 

the right way to go...
#2 Posted by Mekboy (1107 posts) - - Show Bio

linger around on this site more and you will find out that a lot of people actually prefer DC

#3 Posted by endofdays123 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

i know that its just that everybody i meet in comic book shops and on the street. i mean i convinced my friends to go from Marvel to DC Comics. im sorry maybe its cause im new to comics and this site but im just really befabbeld by this.
#4 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio

It is possible to like them both.

#5 Posted by endofdays123 (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:
sure who said u couldn't. there are some things about Marvel i like but majority i rather go for dc
#6 Edited by entropy_aegis (14239 posts) - - Show Bio
@endofdays123:
going by marvels current standards i'd be pretty pissed too,but marvel undoubtedly managed to make characters more realsitic and grounded making them more relatable depending upon the time. 
QUESADA SUCKS.
#7 Posted by AndyPhifer (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Marvel because I think Marvel stories are more interesting. DC has too many gods and god-like beings and multiverses and blah blah blah to keep me interested. To me, the only interesting story from the last few years of DC comics has been in Batman comics, but that's really only because I'm a Grant Morrison fanboy.
But you know what? Live and let live. Don't let someone else's opinion bother you. You like what you like, and I like what I like. As Jay-Z said, "What you eat don't make me shit."

#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @endofdays123: going by marvels current standards i'd be pretty pissed too,but marvel undoubtedly managed to make characters more realsitic and grounded making them more relatable depending upon the time. QUESADA SUCKS. "
:D
#9 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @endofdays123: going by marvels current standards i'd be pretty pissed too,but marvel undoubtedly managed to make characters more realsitic and grounded making them more relatable depending upon the time. QUESADA SUCKS. "
Sir I completely disagree
BENDIS SUCKS
#10 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is seriously going downhill these days. Especially The Amazing Spider-man.

#11 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people believe that relating and being based on the "real World and having real consequences" is the best thing to have in a story rather to be entertaining and enjoyable. Unlike DC having Lex Luthor as president of the US in the main Marvel U it's Obama and Marvel have political metaphors involved with their Super Heroes like Civil War. We also have 'real life' politicians to help relate to New Yorkers like Mayor Bloomberg teaming up with the Human Spider to tackle the Job market. 

#12 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio
@cold_fuzion said:
"The real question is: why does it matter to you?  Who care what everyone else likes? Read what you want and skip the rest. "

I will build a statue in your honor.
#13 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy!:
Well what about J Jonah Jameson being the Mayor of New York? That isn't exactly "Real World"
#14 Edited by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio
@IIDEADxPOOLII: Meh, Quesada or Bendis will find a way to erase that and say it's magic. Plus I'm making fun of Marvel and the generic answers people will give as to why they love it more than DC.
#15 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
Marvel has ALWAYS had tighter continuity, while DC only started to concern itself with continuity around 1985. There have been 3 Supermen in DC's muddled continuity, and 3 Batmen, Major characters like Wonder Woman are poorly served by DC as well with them unsure of how to present her and rebooting her again and again. DC earth Prime, Earth 1, Earth 2, DC is a confusing mess. The Marvel characters all live in the same reality we first saw in Fantastic Four #1.
My answer is Tighter Continuity, Better characterization, superior comics.
#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:

" Marvel has ALWAYS had tighter continuity, while DC only started to concern itself with continuity around 1985. There have been 3 Supermen in DC's muddled continuity, and 3 Batmen, Major characters like Wonder Woman are poorly served by DC as well with them unsure of how to present her and rebooting her again and again. DC earth Prime, Earth 1, Earth 2, DC is a confusing mess. The Marvel characters all live in the same reality we first saw in Fantastic Four #1.
My answer is Tighter Continuity, Better characterization, superior comics. "

Confusing to you, easy for me.
#17 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio
@cold_fuzion said:
" @Jake Fury said:
" @cold_fuzion said:
"The real question is: why does it matter to you?  Who care what everyone else likes? Read what you want and skip the rest. "
I will build a statue in your honor. "
Can it be made of butter? "

Sure.
#18 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone:
Doesn't really matter since new readers are going to be reading current comics, not old comics and they never really need to worry about anything but new-earth, right? 
Anyways, a friend of mine told me he liked marvel more because its characters are less generic in terms of superpowers and attitude which leads to what he called "a more layered story". Personally i like DC more, i think that the bat family and their relations to each other are particularly interesting.  
@cold_fuzion:      
True dat.
#19 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio

<<<<<<<<Likes them both. *gasp*
#20 Posted by Wurl124 (114 posts) - - Show Bio
@endofdays123:  at the end of the day all that matters is what you like.  I've been reading/collecting since '86.  I've always been more of a DC (Flash) fanboy.  However, that has never stopped me from reading Marvel, Dark Horse or whatever interested me that week at the shop.  I'm going to read whatever looks good to me.  It's all personal preference.
#21 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both to be honest I like marvel a bit more (don't be angry) just because they have more characters that i am a fan of like x-men, hulk, iron man, thor, captain america,... don't get me wrong DC is also cool with batman, green lantern, flash, (secret six is also great)...

#22 Posted by JediXMan (29571 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Marvel is new-user friendly and - yes, I said it - simplistic. Not all of their stories are, but they very often write stories meant to attract new people. DC, on the other hand, seems to continue with their stories and require you to do a little background or figure it out as you read.

I prefer DC. I like reading stories that are tied to past stories.

#23 Posted by IrishX (2309 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mekboy said:
"linger around on this site more and you will find out that a lot of people actually prefer DC "

And tend to be much more vocal about it......
#24 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Until you've asked everybody on the vine, then you should make this thread

#25 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio

When it all boils down to it, its all a matter of personal preference. The believeability doesn't play a part for me because quite frankly if it did I probably wouldn't read any comics. I grew up reading nothing but Marvel mostly but I have branched out and found there are DC titles I really enjoy as well.
#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24606 posts) - - Show Bio

my question why is it all about marvel and dc?  how bout some respect for dark horse or some image love sure the big 2 make more money but thats no indicator of quality

#27 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
" @turoksonofstone:
Doesn't really matter since new readers are going to be reading current comics, not old comics and they never really need to worry about anything but new-earth, right? 
Anyways, a friend of mine told me he liked marvel more because its characters are less generic in terms of superpowers and attitude which leads to what he called "a more layered story". Personally i like DC more, i think that the bat family and their relations to each other are particularly interesting.  
@cold_fuzion:      
True dat. "
@ReVamp: 
That really depends on the individual reader. New-earth is not the FINAL DC earth just the current one. It's safe to say that eventually the next "Crisis-cycle" will reboot this reality too.
#28 Posted by GabrielNox (141 posts) - - Show Bio

I found that putting the picture of Marvel heroes next to the picture of DC heroes answers that question rather well.

#29 Edited by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

"Because

Marvel is new-user friendly and - yes, I said it - simplistic. Not all of their stories are, but they very often write stories meant to attract new people. DC, on the other hand, seems to continue with their stories and require you to do a little background or figure it out as you read.  I prefer DC. I like reading stories that are tied to past stories. " 

Totally agree, I had been thinking about this after my post.

@turoksonofstone:

Yes, i see your point... but. 
1. I doubt that they are going to change the current earth soon, I'm only seeing that happening when too much time has been spent on this earth and characters have reached a certain age limit (e.g. batman has become too old to continue his vigilatism).  
2.We are debating why people

right now

?prefer? marvel over DC, the possible event of having another earth and crysis cyle should not come into play on their decisions of reading comics for that week. 

I do however see your point and i completley agree that DC can become quite complicated, and some readers just don't want to(or have to in the future) wrap their heads around it
#30 Edited by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel got way more fans than dc. because marvel was more popular in the last twenty years.  
but dc is catching up in the recent 2 years.

#31 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving DC a lot more than Marvel atm .

#32 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @turoksonofstone said:

" Marvel has ALWAYS had tighter continuity, while DC only started to concern itself with continuity around 1985. There have been 3 Supermen in DC's muddled continuity, and 3 Batmen, Major characters like Wonder Woman are poorly served by DC as well with them unsure of how to present her and rebooting her again and again. DC earth Prime, Earth 1, Earth 2, DC is a confusing mess. The Marvel characters all live in the same reality we first saw in Fantastic Four #1.
My answer is Tighter Continuity, Better characterization, superior comics. "

Confusing to you, easy for me. "
yeah same here....I have no problem following DC books and understanding things that happened pre-crisis and post-crisis
#33 Posted by Rowen545 (378 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy both... I'm also a moderate politically...

#34 Posted by endofdays123 (30 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wurl124 said:
" @endofdays123:  at the end of the day all that matters is what you like.  I've been reading/collecting since '86.  I've always been more of a DC (Flash) fanboy.  However, that has never stopped me from reading Marvel, Dark Horse or whatever interested me that week at the shop.  I'm going to read whatever looks good to me.  It's all personal preference. "

@Wurl124: and isn't that what christmas is all about :)
#35 Posted by GabrielNox (141 posts) - - Show Bio
@endofdays123:
Yes, that. And too a smaller degree the birth of the Christ. ;)
#36 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO marvel just has far more interesting characters.
#37 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio
@cold_fuzion said:
" The real question is: why does it matter to you?  Who care what everyone else likes? Read what you want and skip the rest. "
THIS
#38 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer DC over Marvel, but it's mainly due to the amount of time I spent watching the DC cartoons when growing up, so I had a firm grasp on at least the important characters. 

The only Marvel character that I have even a decent knowledge of is Spider-Man and truthfully, I'm not putting much effort into finding out a characters history, so I stick with DC out of convenience, but I enjoy the hell out of their titles as well. It works. 

Honestly, I don't care what other people like, just don't try and convince me that Marvel is superior and I won't try to convince you otherwise.

#39 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait a minute...

There are people in the world who like Marvel more than DC? 

Kidding, but no seriously, DC > Marvel due to complexity of story, respect for the reader, and infinitely less hypocrisy, imo.

#40 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

I cmae too late to put up a troll line, and why did it have to be you blackbolt?! WHY?! i never saw you as a troll...ok maby i'm taking this too far you know what nvm about the troll thing. anyways idk i just like marvel more i guess its becuase i like the characters more and the stories are more intresting to me.  

besides what other fiction can compete with the source of the parody "I'm the Juggenraut Bitch!"? i dont think anything can live up that....ever.... 

#41 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theworldbreaker: Haha, mate, sorry, was just pushing some buttons. I meant nothing by it. 

Truth be told, I loved Marvel, but Quesada and Bendis have ruined it for me, and I can't even look at the name Marvel without getting mad these days.
#42 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Some prefer Marvel cause of it's success in pop culture and other media. Some people think DC only has the goody-two-shoes team of JLA... Some even know only of the DC trinity. Who wouldn't be turned off by that? Marvel has made successes out of Spiderman, Avengers, Cap, Iron-man, X-men and many more through games, cartoons, etc. That's why many people prefer Marvel... I respect their preference but laugh at their ignorance in regards to DC talent! Nyahahahahaha!

#43 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  Ew dont say the Q and B words! lol. just dont think at what they did and look at some other good titles like Chaos war in the incredible hulks or Thor or look around at the x-men section just dont think about what "They' did and ignore their   "work" and think happy JMS thoughts. 

if you dont this guy will get you 

#44 Posted by Darth_Revan_X (18 posts) - - Show Bio
@fenixREVOLUTION:
What time period did you grow up in because Marvel cartoons outnumber DC cartoons though the 80s and 90s.
#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't. 

#46 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

both have their pitfalls and advantages

#47 Posted by MrDirector786 (43400 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
" Because people believe that relating and being based on the "real World and having real consequences" is the best thing to have in a story rather to be entertaining and enjoyable. Unlike DC having Lex Luthor as president of the US in the main Marvel U it's Obama and Marvel have political metaphors involved with their Super Heroes like Civil War. We also have 'real life' politicians to help relate to New Yorkers like Mayor Bloomberg teaming up with the Human Spider to tackle the Job market.  "
Agreed.
#48 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12520 posts) - - Show Bio

since when do the x-men have radiation in their DNA?
#49 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12520 posts) - - Show Bio

i love both of them, not that i need your permission
#50 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@Darth_Revan_X:
Hmm, might be true but DC cartoons are better, at least the 90's ones definitley are imo