Why Does Aquaman Suck?

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Anbu_B_Team

Why do the writers keep making Aquaman suck? I never was an Aquaman fan, but I see the Aquaman fanboys posting how tough and awesome he is. I just don't see it...but I want to. I am reading Justice League - Throne of Atlantis. In one scene you have Aquaman punching Supes (very hard) and sending him flying back. I am thinking, Cool, Aquaman is stronger than I thought. However, later on when Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman are abducted and brought to the deep black water Aquaman is less equipped to deal with the underwater conditions than Batman sealed away in a cocoon.

How does a character based in underwater environments not have the ability to see in dark water? Please do not say he needs the phosphorescent fish to see. Deep underwater is a dark place, and any "Atlantian" should have evolved to handle such environments. Any thoughts on this?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman has shown he can indeed see in the dark. Pre and new 52. However sometimes writers conveniently forget about a power when it aould be useful. It's fine if you don't care for the character, no need to force yourself.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're on land, so is Mt. Everest but I'm pretty sure we can't survive being on top of that mountain without the proper equipment. Same logic plus a bit of comic logic applies, Just because it's underwater and that Atlanteans live underwater does not mean that they have evolved in a way that they can easily navigate through the entirety of their habitat. Much like we despite living in land have not evolved to naturally live in some land habitats without proper equipment. He can see in dark water but under the fictional standards of how dark the water is the place they were in was deeper so this is where the comic logic comes in in that that place is darker. He could have very well brought equipment like a means to light the way but time was of the essence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anbu_b_team: keep reading. it sounds like you havent been reading aquaman. his is one of the best books. both by fan vote and sales from what i hear

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How deep is Atlantis in DC lore? It only takes about 200 meters before there is almost no discernible light. Are we to believe that the Atlantians would need street lights underwater to venture around the ocean deep? I agree with you about the frailty of the human body. However, we are talking about superhuman level beings who evolved to live in this extreme environment. If Aquaman's body can handle the extreme pressures of the deep water, I think it is only fair to assume he would have other attributes to help explore and survive that environment.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Baberaham_Lincoln

@xwraith: I freaking love this gif.

But to the question... Aquaman has been one of DC's most consistent books since the new 52 started. His stories are actually interesting and his adventures with Mera are freaking sweet. Oh and he does have the ability to see dark parts of underwater i think, it was in earlier issues as well, so maybe the writer forgot...or maybe he was in way deeper waters since you know, the trench do live in dark areas if i remember correctly. I'll get some scans up to show Arthur's 'badassery'... or you can actually just go to his respect thread made by @matchesmalone21.

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think the new 52 is a great opportunity for writers to get this stuff sorted out.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said, sometimes writers forget. Or just ignore. Also, I doubt anyone has bothered to give any answer as to how low underwater Atlantis is.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dabee

Troll

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

You think Aquaman sucks?

PhilyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the first 12 books in the Aquaman New 52 and before that I had never read Aquaman. I enjoyed what I read. Every issue was great!

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PeppeyHare

L-e-l

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Let me go make a bag of popcorn this is going to be good.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing to add other then I started out making fun of aquaman then the new 52 started I gave it a shot and its one of my favorite comics and characters out now, sad to see geoff johns leave and looking forward to seeing if matt damon gets the part (he expressed interest)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AllStarSuperman
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@xwraith: you steal that from me?

Yes, he stole a popular gif from you.

BB

maybe, I had only seen it once on here, stole it, them spam it on every thread like this. Now others are doing it as well, turns out I made it KOOL

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_red_viper  Moderator

Aquaman is a laughingstock mainly because of the old animated TV series, Super Friends I think it's called? Not to mention that god-awful, overrated, not funny, stupid show called "The Big Bang Theory".

But anyone who's read at least one Aquaman/JL comics knows better than to believe this, Aquaman absolutely does not suck.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid Thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@anbu_b_team: if you read comics son should know that something called context....Aquaman couldn't see in the Dark Waters because is more deeper and darker than he realized.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@anbu_b_team: You see in DC comics they have to make Batman look better than everyone even if it doesn't make sense or else a WB executive will eat one of their children, hence Batman having an advantage over Aquaman under water.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rnever see any Aquaman fanboys. What planet are you living on again?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90's one arm Aquaman was and is a total bad ass. Geoff Johns reboot Aquaman is SUPER BAD ASS (although I prefer the harpoon hand armored look).

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sucks based on what you saw in that instance? I a girl farts will you dump her too?

Smallville2106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love New 52 Aquaman. Great stories and art. Don't like the beard though

Avatar image for dragonescarlata
dragonescarlata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"And he sucks underwater"

Sorry, in fact I do like Aquaman, but I just couldn't resist (LoL)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Anbu_B_Team

@matchesmalone21: "More deeper" water is not relevant when talking about light and visibility. As I stated before going down to a depth below 200 meters basically is pitch black, from what I understand. No light, is no light, whether you are 300 meters below the water or 3 miles. I just thought in this instance it was a little hard to understand how batman locked away in a cocoon could be more effective than Aquaman. And for the record I do not think Aquaman sucks. My title probably should have been, "Why do writers make Aquaman Suck?"

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4/10 Troll

No Caption Provided

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"And he sucks underwater"

Sorry, in fact I do like Aquaman, but I just couldn't resist (LoL)

lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anbu_b_team: Is hard to you understand because didn't read the issue,simple. Batman use Sonar and 3-D maps to scan the area.

Anbu_B_Team

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Anbu_B_Team

@matchesmalone21, I did read the and understand the issue. I think it was a failed opportunity for Aquaman to shine in his element. The writers got it wrong in my opinion. I also have some points about why sonar wouldn't be able to work for Batman from inside the hull of a cocoon, but who really cares.