Why do writers change companies?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

This is just a bit of a question really, but why do writers always seem to go from company to company.

I'll use Morrison for example, he went from DC/Vertigo to Marvel for a time to do New X-Men, then returned to DC...and now I have no idea what he's doing aside for hiding in his Loony cave writing Multiversity....or something.

Same with writers for non comics: Greg Weisman went from Disney with Gargoyles to...whoever did W.I.T.C.H, to Sony (?) for Spectacular Spiderman to Cartoon Network/Warner for Young Justice and now is back at Disney for Rebels, all while also doing individual episodes for shows like The Batman, Brave and the Bold, Transformers Prime, Ben 10 and Legion of Superheroes

Paul Dini also went from Warner/DC/Whatever to DC proper, to Marvel to work on Ultimate Spiderman, yet also worked on Arkham City and that Tower Prep thing that Cartoon Network had.

Is their a limit of how many times a writer can do this? This isn't even going into how many writers do work for two companies, like Gail Simone for example with Red Sonja, Batgirl and The Movement.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Money

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Money.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

These. And, I'd imagine they want a chance to write characters from other companies for a change.

I mean, they're writing the same characters sometimes for years on end. I know I'd want a chance to write something new.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Maybe they just like to try different things, and when offered a good opportunity to do something at another company, it could be worth going for.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Money, better work environment/no exclusive contracts, wanting to own your work if you go to an independent publisher.

BB

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

They get to work with different characters that they grew up reading and when they work with independents, they have more creative control.

Grant Morrison is currently working on a Wonder Woman book

Greg Weisman actually did write comics. He wrote Captain Atom and created the "General Eiling" character.

Writers are writers, I don't think any writer just says "hey, I just want to write comics forever" They like to write so they will do it for any medium and I am sure getting paid for it has to do with it.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The examples you gave were all because of money except the Morrison one.He went to Marvel because he had an idea and wanted to write the X-Men.But most of the times these days writers change companies because of money and nothing else.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same reason anyone changes jobs, money, benefits, job security.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Isn't Grant also doing that Wonder Woman book? I think it's called The trial of Diana Prince or something like that.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

Why does anyone change jobs?

Creative people need changes and new challenges.