Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

The most important reason is that George Lucas doesn't have a karking clue as to how real people act and talk.

Adding a character solely to appeal to four-year-olds (Binks) is a terrible move in a series that regularly features dismemberment (among other things).

Giving one of the greatest villains in film history the backstory of "he was your typical emo kid and he turned to the dark side for the sole purpose of saving his wife" was another terrible move. I'm sure they only wrote him that way so that brooding teenagers with asymmetrical haircuts can watch the movies and think "he's just like me!"

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

George Lucas

This. Direction to the actors to overact like they were in a 1940s melodrama. Lots of other things, some you mention, but the terrible, terrible line delivery throughout always bugs me the most.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... I liked Episode I and III. I will even go so far, and say that Maul is my favorite char from the whole franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

I liked all three of them.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

the original was a gritty space drama that didn't pull punches so kids could enjoy it, (it wasn't meant for them)

The prequels have mega sized kid gloves on, and panders to what ever the out of touch George lucas thought would be "cool" for a 6 year old

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

The most important reason is that George Lucas doesn't have a karking clue as to how real people act and talk.

Adding a character solely to appeal to four-year-olds (Binks) is a terrible move in a series that regularly features dismemberment (among other things).

Giving one of the greatest villains in film history the backstory of "he was your typical emo kid and he turned to the dark side for the sole purpose of saving his wife" was another terrible move. I'm sure they only wrote him that way so that brooding teenagers with asymmetrical haircuts can watch the movies and think "he's just like me!"

Oh dear god you are so wrong. Perhaps you're right about Binks, but Anakin wasn't a "typical emo kid." If that's all you took away from his role in the movie I suggest you either go rewatch the films, or discontinue making an opinion on them.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.) Jar Jar Binks

2.) Samuel L Jackson died like a mothaf*cking b*tch

3.) young Boba Fett and Anakin

4.)entirety of the Phantom Menace

What's your reasons and opinions guys ?

1.) Fair enough, but I personally didn't think he broke the movie.

2.) You seem to not know a lot about Palpatine then.

3.) Er.. what's wrong with young Boba? He saw his Dad die, then took up the mantle in the original trilogy. Makes sense. And there seriously was nothing wrong with Anakin in these films. His transition to the Dark Side made complete sense and he wasn't just a brooding teenager.

4.) Yeah, okay, it was a little bit slow. It set the trilogy in motion. Nobodys asking you to keep rewatching it.

My opinion? The prequels were great.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

...Say what you want but I loved to dress up as Darth Maul when I was a kid...except on halloween when everyone else did

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlock360: Yeah Maul was awesome. I don't get when people say Samuel L. Jackson went out like a punk. He beat the crap out of the Sith and was about to kill him. It took two people to kill him which one caught him off guard. I don't get when they say Bane went out like a punk either.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@warlock360: I liked revenge of the sith but the other 2 ? Not so much

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

@warlock360: Yeah Maul was awesome. I don't get when people say Samuel L. Jackson went out like a punk. He beat the crap out of the Sith and was about to kill him. It took two people to kill him which one caught him off guard.

No. Mace wasn't about to kill anyone. The Emperors whole plan was to appear weak infront of Anakin and manipulate him into thinking the Jedi wanted to control the Senate. He played on his emotions to solidify his transition to the Dark Side. Palpatine could of dispatched Mace just as quickly as he did the first three Jedi (all master Jedi, btw).

Having said that, losing in battle to the most powerful Sith in history is in no was going out like a punk.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They sucked? The box office and critic reviews(a mixed bag) say different, personally I like all of em.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many reasons to explain.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The prequels did not "suck" to me in fact they were pretty good.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tikhunt

I grew up with Episode 1 and so I naturally love the prequels, however I can't stand Episode 3 and I think that X-Men: First Class was a better Star Wars film than that garbage.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RDClip

Terrible scripts, misguided premise (that the Star Wars series is Vader's story) and lack of checks and balances on George Lucas' power.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maul was my favorite character.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BullPR

@lilben42 said:

@warlock360: Yeah Maul was awesome. I don't get when people say Samuel L. Jackson went out like a punk. He beat the crap out of the Sith and was about to kill him. It took two people to kill him which one caught him off guard.

No. Mace wasn't about to kill anyone. The Emperors whole plan was to appear weak infront of Anakin and manipulate him into thinking the Jedi wanted to control the Senate. He played on his emotions to solidify his transition to the Dark Side. Palpatine could of dispatched Mace just as quickly as he did the first three Jedi (all master Jedi, btw).

Having said that, losing in battle to the most powerful Sith in history is in no was going out like a punk.

I really like this analysis. That was my first impression. But I have never been able to confirm it (but...I stopped reading novel from the EU 20 years ago...). For example, in the novel associated with the movie nothing to support this (very logical) conclusion.

If you have any ref about that, please tell me, I will read it.

For the 3 sequels.

I was really, REALLY, disappointed.

1) I was hoping the kind of breakthrough for the Science Fiction that was episode IV when I watched it in the 70s. Before that, SF representation in the Cinema was just terrible. Really. Remember forbidden Planet and others movies like that.

Obviously it was not the case.

It was only an expensive and fancy video game (for me)

2) I was really hoping that after the episode VI we would have the Made Jedi/Thrawn saga on the big screen (Timothy Zahn trilogy)

3) I really didn't like the scenario (No father for Anakin, he is THE ONE, etc...)

4) Jar-Jar Binks was really terrible

5) The fight and the music with Dark Maul were...awesome!!

After that, the love story from the No2 was boring and the 3 was not too bad

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By warlock360

@xwraith said:

@warlock360: EU Maul > Movie Maul

Maul = Maul

He was first introduced in the movie

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The only good thing about the prequels was the EU source material they spawned. Oh and Darth Maul I guess.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 god_spawn  Moderator

I loved the prequels, except for episode two. I really liked Neeson's and McGregor's performances in episodes 1 and 3 respectively. And Maul is my favorite Sith ever. And I would go as far as to say episode 3 was my favorite.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly really liked the prequels, All three of them. I did Like the Original trilogy better but Episodes I, II, and III I found entertainingand a good watch. I never understood all the hate but to each his own right!

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like to pretend the prequels never happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I happened to love them all. The only thing I really hated was the stupid romance scene in the field on Naboo between Anakin and Amadala. That was legit the shittiest romance scene ever.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the prequels, except for episode two. I really liked Neeson's and McGregor's performances in episodes 1 and 3 respectively. And Maul is my favorite Sith ever. And I would go as far as to say episode 3 was my favorite.

-_______________________________________________________-

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#33  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I actually prefer the prequel trilogy over the original trilogy.

The only thing I hate really from them is Jar Jar, but who doesn't hate him? :P But overall I loved the movies and enjoyed how that time period has been expanded in Star Wars: The Clone Wars series.

Avatar image for ericthomasanderson
ericthomasanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Anakin's transformation into Vader was a little forced (pun intended). Throughout episodes I-III, I was left wondering why I should care that Anakin was immaculately conceived, why Yoda allowed Obi-Wan to take Anakin as his padawan after forbidding it earlier, why Padame would fall in love with an increasingly insecure Anakin, and how exactly Obi-Wan didn't realize what was going on with Anakin sooner. Beyond that they were much like the original trilogy, hamfisted dialogue hidden behind technological leaps (for the time).

Professor_Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Episode I and II to be honest, but Revenge of the Sith, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dayvid3

I thought they were fine. For one thing, Lucas got to explore how cool Obi won was. He was originally supposed to be supposed to be a major character in all 3 movies, an uber jedi I guess. There was a breakdown of some of the original ideas here http://robwrite.hubpages.com/hub/The-Original-Conception-of-the-Star-Wars-Trilogy

Also, the original trilogy was so over hyped nothing could possibly compare. Not that I don't love the story, but it's been blown up to such unassailable godly movie status, I doubt anything short of travelling back in time and making them all at once would have sufficed for fans

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Oh great not another one of these threads. THEY DON'T SUCK!!! I WOULDN'T BE SO PISSED BUT I'VE SEEN LIKE 3 OF THESE GODDAMN THREADS IN A WEEK AND IT BLOWS MY MIND!!! YOU KNOW, THAT'S IT, I'M TIRED OF SAYING THE SAME THING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!! GOODBYE!!!!

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Romance worthy of Nick JR

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romance worthy of Nick JR

Not true governor romney. It is probably the best sci-fi/fantasy romance I've ever seen. There was chemistry, a forbidden sense to it, a friendship aspect to it, a tragic sense to it, they both seem to have a lot of fun...What was so bad about it?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress:

I thought Phantom Menace was the best of the three. If you took out the hour long pod racing scene, I would even consider it a solid flick. I've watched the second one 3 times and I still can't figure out why that movie's 2 hours long, only about 20 minutes of important stuff happened in it. And the third one is just a kung pao orgy, there's no realy story... it's just people beating each other up.

Your first point is okay, Jar Jar was not a good addition. Your second point is stupid, 1 scene doesn't ruin 3 entire movies.Young Anakin was a terrible actor, he ruined that movie for me... didn't really mind young Boba. He had like 2 minutes of total screentime.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn said:

-_______________________________________________________-

Reading comprehension. By saying 'respectively,' he means he likes Neeson's performance in 1, and McGregor's in 3.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress:

And the third one is just a kung pao orgy, there's no realy story... it's just people beating each other up.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!!!!!!

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@havenless: I think you should actually understand why I'm doing -______________________- before you comment on my reading and comprehension" skills I done that because I disagreed with him on Neeson's performance. Qui-Gon jinn was one of the reasons The Phantom Menace is last to me. He is a very boring character even in EU (although he is much better)

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Havenless
Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: I think you should actually understand why I'm doing -______________________- before you comment on my reading and comprehension" skills I done that because I disagreed with him on Neeson's performance. Qui-Gon jinn was one of the reasons The Phantom Menace is last to me. He is a very boring character even in EU (although he is much better)

Loading Video...

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#46  Edited By DecoyElite

They suck because they're bad movies.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

@havenless said:

@life_without_progress:

And the third one is just a kung pao orgy, there's no realy story... it's just people beating each other up.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!!!!!!

No. It was pretty blah and unmemorable.

I strongly disagree. I felt it was smart, emotionally powerful, with great themes about fear, attachment and ignorance, with great character development, a powerful score, and awesome performances, yes even and ESPECIALLY Christensen.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Because they're;

• poorly written
  • lack any form of subtlety
  • directed amateurishly
  • they undo what made the originals good
  • Terribly racist (mainly Watto and Jar Jar)
  • ANAKIN MURDERS CHILDREN
  • "Annie, you're breaking my heart". Worst. Dialogue. Ever.
  • The definition of Chickification. Padme going from a total badass to a whimpering shmuck so completely dependent on her boyfriend that she just dies because he ditched her. Oh her children? Screw them, my husband went evil, I'll just let them be raised by royals and peasants.
  • Palpatine basically screaming I'M EVIL every chance he gets, and no one picking up on it.
  • Jedi are forced celibate. Why, exactly? How does this help anything, aside from taking a bunch of pre-teens who were taught to wield weapons from birth and making them incredibly sexually-frustrated?
  • Obi-Wan joining the Bee Gees
  • Jango Fett being the only New Zealander in the Galaxy
  • THE ABSOLUTE ABHORRENT CHANGES TO THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY TO CANONISE THE NEW CRAP
  • Yoda and Chewbacca being friends. I just... ugh

I could go on, but I'm tired and can't be bothered.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By sinestro_GL

Fair enough that Phantom Menace was...sh!t, but there were some positives to take from that for sure. AND to be fair, the movies did get better as the sequels were being made.

Of course, the prequels have less than 0 on the original trilogy, but I do appreciate the efforts to expand the Star Wars universe to a new generation...so it's mostly an execution problem if anything.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're;

• poorly written
  • lack any form of subtlety
  • directed amateurishly
  • they undo what made the originals good
  • Terribly racist (mainly Watto and Jar Jar)
  • ANAKIN MURDERS CHILDREN
  • "Annie, you're breaking my heart". Worst. Dialogue. Ever.
  • The definition of Chickification. Padme going from a total badass to a whimpering shmuck so completely dependent on her boyfriend that she just dies because he ditched her. Oh her children? Screw them, my husband went evil, I'll just let them be raised by royals and peasants.
  • Palpatine basically screaming I'M EVIL every chance he gets, and no one picking up on it.
  • Jedi are forced celibate. Why, exactly? How does this help anything, aside from taking a bunch of pre-teens who were taught to wield weapons from birth and making them incredibly sexually-frustrated?
  • Obi-Wan joining the Bee Gees
  • Jango Fett being the only New Zealander in the Galaxy
  • THE ABSOLUTE ABHORRENT CHANGES TO THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY TO CANONISE THE NEW CRAP
  • Yoda and Chewbacca being friends. I just... ugh

I could go on, but I'm tired and can't be bothered.

1) They weren't that poorly written. In fact, I thought they were written really well. The dialogue was decent and there were a lot of really smart themes about emotion, fear, attachment, destiny, father figures, e.t.c

2) Right, because Lord of the Rings, TDKR, The Godfather, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Rebel Without a Cause, The Wolfman, the latter Harry Potter movies, Troy and the Patriot were TOTALLY subtle

3) They were directed no worse than the originals...Stop being biased.

4) No, not really. People who think characters like that are racist are really overthinking and overcriticizing

5) Yeah, when I was 9 YEARS OLD I might have a problem with this. As a mature young adult though, I just think this adds to to the tragedy of Anakin's downfall. Not to mention, those children's lives were already stolen by the Jedi Order, in Anakin's mind, WAY before he killed them. If you can't handle severe tragedy and overly dark story, that's your fault, not the films.

6) Again, not really. My mom has actually said that to me once. Realistic dialogue isn't that bad. And here are some FAR worse lines from films that get FAR less criticism:

"You're PURE evil!"

"Tonight we dine in hell!"

"I came here to stop you!"

"I've been bitten..."

So stop being a hypocrite

7) You can't control dying of a broken heart you know. And it's not chickification, she sacrificed her entire life and reputation for Anakin for years. It would kind of have a big impact on her. The same thing would happen to me with a gender reversal.

8) Not true. He's just screaming "I'm wise and have hidden knowledge". And saying that the head of the Republic is evil is the definition of jumping to conclusions. If the Jedi were wrong, the punishment would be severe. It's not as easy as "I think you're evil, let's arrest you."

9) Why are most priests/popes celibate? It probably ties in with the religion and something we don't understand. But thanks for insulting Catholicism.

10) What?

11) 0_0

12) See 11

13) See 11 and 12