• 77 results
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

some of my favorite characters came out of the 90s and they always get crapped on lol. why is this?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Manchine

So many bad characters came from the 90's. =)

You got Deadpoo, Jubilie, Cable, and Gambit all I can think of right now that came from the horrible 90's.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

i like the wildstorm characters from the 90s

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Someone has to mention Liefield in this thread

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134

The Spawn era

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Manchine

@sog7dc said:

@manchine said:

i like the wildstorm characters from the 90s

Wildstorm characters were great back then but most people don't think of them when they think of the 90's. Which is a great character type, although I just don't like the guy who made him.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Liefield. His name explains it all

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

90s? You mean the Liefield era.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liefield. His name explains it all

as much hate that guy gets im surprised he still works in the industry

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@manchine said:

You got Deadpoo, Jubilie, Cable, and Gambit all I can think of right now that came from the horrible 90's.

Yeah. Nobody likes Deadpool. They should just cancel all of his 8275683 titles....

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozenedge2

@sog7dc: Same could be said for Loeb and Bendis maybe. I've seen those two get a lot of...I won't say hate but it's mostly dislike on how they do things

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@manchine said:

Yeah. Nobody likes Deadpool. They should just cancel all of his 8275683 titles....

? Deadpool is only in one solo title right now IIRC.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine said:

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

@manchine said:

No Caption Provided

OMG! I can't stop laughing right now!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Same could be said for Loeb and Bendis maybe. I've seen those two get a lot of...I won't say hate but it's mostly dislike on how they do things

but at least they have some great runs under their belts. leob has hush and i believe he wrote the long Halloween. and bendis has his daredevil run and i hear he is doing well with the x men. but i have never had anyone recommend me anything with rob liefields name on it

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 SC  Moderator

Excessive spittle.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@pokeysteve said:

@manchine said:

Right now!

And missing the point!

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Deadpoo.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The over the topness of it all. Disproportionately huge muscles. Unnecessarily huge guns all over the place. Annoyingly "XTREEEEME" names like Bloodscream or Deathrage. Spelling things the wrong way because it looks "cool." Bad anti heroes all over the place. Basically it was the anti silver age. Except much of it was eye rollingly bad and over the top.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think it's because people watch to much Linkara....

And all this Liefield hate is kind of stupid. The guy is uber nice and loves what he does.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The over the topness of it all. Disproportionately huge muscles. Unnecessarily huge guns all over the place. Annoyingly "XTREEEEME" names like Bloodscream or Deathrage. Spelling things the wrong way because it looks "cool." Bad anti heroes all over the place. Basically it was the anti silver age. Except much of it was eye rollingly bad and over the top.

QFT.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I'll agree that people are a little more lenient with Loeb except when it comes to Marvel Animation, Bendis seems to get majority of the dislike. Even with ANXM, everybody will still find something to complain about with him involved even if it is good.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

well.....the nineties almost destroyed irreparably the comic book industry....

first of all there was the speculator boom, where people who had no prior interest in comics, wanted to cash in on future investments expecting mass produced comics to sell for big fortunes later in their life. this caused several things, a constant ratchet up of prices that haven' really come back down properly, made comic companies go more for gimicks rather than content, inves heavily on plans that don't end up panning out. (and bankrupts Marvel), then there was the focus on cardboard characters of constant action and no development of character, as well as nonseniscal outfits and designs... (pouches, bags, overly muscled, and should pads with ridiculesly big guns for all males, the skimpiest generic nondescript outfits for all girls)

sure there are good points to the ninties, but they are hard to find..

you mentionedx some of your favorite characters came from the nineties....have you gone back and taken a look at their first appearences?? they are usually awful....look at Deadpool for instance.... he showed up and was unreadable...(read new mutants 98) for a good portion of his early career...from 1991 until 1997 he wasn't as good as people say he is today....in 1997 thats when he finally becomes the hilarious character we all know and love....(almost not the nineties anymore)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By PeppeyHare

@jwalser3 said:

. The guy is uber nice

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Good guy Rob Liefield

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well.....the nineties almost destroyed irreparably the comic book industry....

first of all there was the speculator boom, where people who had no prior interest in comics, wanted to cash in on future investments expecting mass produced comics to sell for big fortunes later in their life. this caused several things, a constant ratchet up of prices that haven' really come back down properly, made comic companies go more for gimicks rather than content, inves heavily on plans that don't end up panning out. (and bankrupts Marvel), then there was the focus on cardboard characters of constant action and no development of character, as well as nonseniscal outfits and designs... (pouches, bags, overly muscled, and should pads with ridiculesly big guns for all males, the skimpiest generic nondescript outfits for all girls)

sure there are good points to the ninties, but they are hard to find..

you mentionedx some of your favorite characters came from the nineties....have you gone back and taken a look at their first appearences?? they are usually awful....look at Deadpool for instance.... he showed up and was unreadable...(read new mutants 98) for a good portion of his early career...from 1991 until 1997 he wasn't as good as people say he is today....in 1997 thats when he finally becomes the hilarious character we all know and love....(almost not the nineties anymore)

id say that, from what ive read from the ninties, i enjoyed the characters very but the stories were kind of meh.....if that makes sense...and i did not know that all that damage was done due to financial troubles so thanks for the knowledge.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: D: good lord. I was talking about this kind of stuff.

Loading Video...

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Linkara? Is that you?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I got Static outta the 90s, so that's excellent.

Also, you can't really even blame the writers. They just went with what was popular at the time. Everything was XTREME in the 90s. Remember those 3D Doritos?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many huge guns, excess pouches, ridiculous off-sized jackets with spandex and extra large gloves and headbands (looking at you, Rogue), "edgy" replacement heroes for major characters, ridiculous names with incorrect spelling (K does not equal c, Z does not equal ss), and Liefeld.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just leave this here:

No Caption Provided

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

dUd D@tZ prty hrdcore

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big people with huge armor and tech gadgets and overly massive guns.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I was never a big fun of Wildcats. And Youngblood is awful, period. That said the 90s gave us this and for that all is forgiven:

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Witchblade, created in 1995 smack in the middle of the 90's and one of the very few ongoings I am still following, reading and enjoying, and collecting since the first issue.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

/Thread

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I was never a big fun of Wildcats. And Youngblood is awful, period. That said the 90s gave us this and for that all is forgiven:

No Caption Provided

Hey, I'm following that artist on Deviant Art. :P

Witchblade isn't it?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The late 90s were pretty good. You had Kingdom Come, Marvels, Astro City. For every Liefeld is an Alex Ross. Guardian Devil. Oh yeah and Spawn. But there is no denying the early to mid 90s were terrible. The art was so bad, we got crazy muscles and guns, TandA everywere.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Superman and Superboy. 'Nuff said.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was born in 93, so I grew up on the late 90's. Specifically, DC. Didn't start reading Marvel as an on-going thing until 3 years ago. I personally thought 90's DC was amazing, but that's what I grew up on so that's what I was conditioned to. I don't see the problem with it. As for Marvel, I would love to read Marvel stories from the 90's, I think they look cool. I like Deadpool, Cable, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but when people say "Liefeld Era" do they mean Marvel's Heroes Reborn gimmick? Or was he doing stuff before that for companies that made it his "era"?

blazinasian112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people that insult the comics of the 90s didn't even read comics in the 90s. It's kind of funny, actually, considering they really don't know what they're talking about. There was a lot of great stuff in the 90s. A lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@manchine said:

You must be high. Can I have some?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MatteoPG

@peppeyhare: ah ah ah, that was awesome. He is a pr**k!

It's like an army of many little Linkaras in here.... like an era could be intrinsically all bad.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of Image comics. Onslaught, Doomsday, Parallax, Carnage, Spider-Clone Saga, Emerald Dawn, Heroes Reborn, women in refrigerators. All that I just listed was pretty terrible stuff.

There were definitely some good stories in the 90's, but for most the bad outweighed the good.

SonOfHellstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

@manchine said:

Um wrong, he is also in the Thunderbolts team title.

Goron85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Goron85

In my opinion all this 90s thing is directly related with the things that we valued the most in a comic book then and what we value today. Fact is that at the end of the 80s and the begining of the 90s artists like Lee, Liefield or McFarlane (among others) were superstars. Everyone talked about them and how cool their drawings were so DC, Marvel and the newlyborn Image feeded us with this kind of art and character designs until we realized that we needed more than some cool guy with big guns and muscle even on his ears. That's when the 2000s arrived and writers were "hot" again. Good stories were told again on some major books, Image reinvented himself and readers tried to forget the time when we went crazy for the guns, muscle and clenching jaws.