Why do some people think The Dark Knight Rises was "Ok" or "Bad"?

• 65 results
owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By owie  Moderator

Visually, it was very impressive. Thematically, I thought it was ambitious and often succeeded in its approach.

But it was filled with a lot of plot holes and their reverse--overly blatant plot exposition. The overall movie felt bloated and could have used better editing and a writing clean-up.

The fighting was boring--basically just generic punching. Considering Batman and Bane are both supposedly trained like ninjas, this is unimaginative and boring.

It could have used a lot more Batman. And I just don't get why Bruce would quit being Batman for 8 years just because what's-her-name died. I don't get what that had to do with him being Batman. It seemed like a weenie move, it showed no grit.

I liked the Talia reveal and the Robin reveal. The return of Scarecrow was great. I though Catwoman was OK--her first scene where she transformed her body posture form a maid to Catwoman was great. After that, so so. But I am not a huge fan of Hathaway's.

So overall, I thought it was so-so.

I re-watched the first two recently. Originally, I had liked them quite a bit. The second time around, it lowered my opinion of them. They were a bit too flat and not enough meat, which surprised me. I originally thought they were the best Batman treatment, now I am thinking Burton's was better.

Thaxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Thaxus

I <3 it :)

XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By XiiX

@Wisduck said:

I thought the ending was incredibly cheesy, found the first act boring, and strongly disliked about five characters. Although there were various elements in the middle such as the prison scenes and first Bane fight that I enjoyed. For me it was definitely the worst of the trilogy, and would have no urge to give it another chance if I wasn't such a fan of the genre.

Agreed.

XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By XiiX

@Chronus said:

@danhimself said:

I'm one of the people that really thought the whole trilogy was just ok

I'm also included in those "people."

Count me in as well.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#55  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I don't Know. I saw it today and I loved it! Awesome!!!! Loved the ending also! too bad this is Nolan's last Bat film. I liked it a little better than Dark Knight and Avengers.

pwnda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By pwnda

IMO the dark knight was the best out of the trilogy, Ledger's Joker was so much better then Bane, like a significant drop off in terms of the actor actually portraying the character, but that isnt what made The Dark Knight Rises just meh for me, it really was the fact they made Bane Talia's pet. Through out the whole movie, Bane was either Batman's equal or superior intellectually and physicially, they just played him out to be some random pedophile in a prison lol, and then just got the regular same training as Batman in the league of shadows, they should have put more into his origin. IMO i think most people just like TDKR more cuz it just came out lol.

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#57  Edited By zexion_armando

Its self importance and constant "serious monologues!!!" and supposed message got annoying after a while. I wanted Alfred to really stop talking after his first 3 lines. But thats a problem I have with the entire trilogy.

Everything else I didn't like just just chalks up to bad design choices or plot.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KingofMadCows

I thought the movie was great but I do think that the problems and contrivances are more glaring and less forgivable than the last two films. The last two films had problems, plot holes, and things that didn't make much sense but they were more in the background and easier to ignore or forgive.

Also, I do think people are critical because they've been thinking about how convoluted the Joker's plan was in TDK and how it basically required the Joker to have psychic abilities for them to work so some people went into TDKR with the mindset of trying to dissect and analyze the details more.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By entropy_aegis

@KingofMadCows said:

I thought the movie was great but I do think that the problems and contrivances are more glaring and less forgivable than the last two films. The last two films had problems, plot holes, and things that didn't make much sense but they were more in the background and easier to ignore or forgive.

Also, I do think people are critical because they've been thinking about how convoluted the Joker's plan was in TDK and how it basically required the Joker to have psychic abilities for them to work so some people went into TDKR with the mindset of trying to dissect and analyze the details more.

This is true,the microwave weapon,Joker's heist and his escape from the GCPD were just as ridiculous as Bruce Wayne's recovery.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By entropy_aegis

@pwnda said:

IMO the dark knight was the best out of the trilogy, Ledger's Joker was so much better then Bane, like a significant drop off in terms of the actor actually portraying the character, but that isnt what made The Dark Knight Rises just meh for me, it really was the fact they made Bane Talia's pet. Through out the whole movie, Bane was either Batman's equal or superior intellectually and physicially, they just played him out to be some random pedophile in a prison lol, and then just got the regular same training as Batman in the league of shadows, they should have put more into his origin. IMO i think most people just like TDKR more cuz it just came out lol.

So basically if they had not introduced Bane's relationship with Talia then Bane> Joker automatically? stupidity RISES.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rises was a good movie but it's not the most EPIC, BEST COMIC MOVIE OF ALL TIME or well you know what I mean with the way some people are describing it to be. Heck it's not even the best in the series IMO.

Everyone may have their opinion & it may be EPIC & all that to some people but as smart as the movie was at times, it was equally as dumb other times. The villain, a complete let down compared to what Heath Ledger did in the 2nd one & it's not Hardy's fault at all. I just don't understand how Nolan could allow such a brilliant performance by Hardy be wasted with that voice. I've never had a problem understanding Darth Vader but most people I talked to could not understand a word Bane said. Finally this is a comic book movie with Batman of all people so with that being said we need some action. More specifically action that says Batman is crazy and you just don't want to mess with him but we never really got that because the action sequences were boring. All of them. I remember thinking to myself the whole time, if Batman was trained to fight like a ninja, why does he fight like a drunk at a bar? And the logic of why & how some stuff happened with the fights was ridiculous especially with how the police & the mercs interacted.

In the end the mercs had tanks, better guns, SUPERIOR POSITION while the cops (who were using guerilla tactics when locating the tank w/the nuke) just lined up waiting for the mercs to shoot them down yet they still won?
Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@joshmightbe

I think turning Bane into Talia's pet at the end put many people off

This. It was good not great.
RoninOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RoninOmega

I think it was all the hype and anticipation leading up to the movie and some might have felt it was a little underwhelming.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#64  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

Loved the film hated the ending

ordandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ordandrew

I am not the biggest Batman fan but thought the latest film was good but still prefer the first film over the latest but still a very good film.