Why do some make out Darth Nihilus so weak?

• 53 results
Avatar image for geraltovrivia98
geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So guys I'm new to comic vine and I've been obsessed with star wars battle threads, especially those involving nihilus. I know he's really powerful but why do people put him out to be so useless? I mean he eats planets when he's WEAK. And as for lightsabers, he was fighting meetra who is immune to his powers, visas who had a force bond with him and meetra(if I'm correct) all while he's super weak and still made visas almost give up. The only reason he sucked in the game was cause of rushed programming, yet in many threads he is weak in the eyes of others and is killing me!!!!

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh, its hard to care about most of the EU now that its not canon

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way this is my first thread ever and I'm sort of proud. And sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm not very good with this stuff yet

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's been so long since I played The Sith Lords I forgot what the guy can do

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

He's essentially a glass cannon. Take away his big gimmick (Drain) and he's left with decent TK (which is limited to lore / references). He's decently strong with the Force, but his lack of intelligence makes him easy to manipulate. Also, I don't recall him ever being proficient with lightsaber combat.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I just thought considering the fact he had to fight 3 people. But I guess it never was stated he was proficient in lightsaber combat. Though I wonder what he's capable of at full power

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eu is non canon

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I know, its too bad though it would have awesome to see bane, or revan get their chance in a film or something. But I still like EU and hopefully Disney surprises people with ep 7

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Force users never display the kind of telekinetic feats he produced. He tore his capital ships from the grip of the mass shadow superweapon on Malachor V, and then held it in one piece. Not only was that an extremely impressive scale feat, but also one of endurance.

However, Drain was his big thing, mostly because it was controlling him. He could devour entire worlds with it, like the Sith Emperor, only much faster and without the need for rituals. In fact, it was stated to be more a product of instinct than technique. He even naturally drains any beings around him, mentally and through the Force, and was so corrupted by the Dark Side that his natural speech caused agony to anyone that heard it.

The problem with Nihilus is this; minimized exposure and lore-centric. He wasn't paraded through the game like Sion, or even Malak from the first game. Because the game was rushed for a Christmas release, much of Nihilus' scenes were cut. A good example is the restored Sion vs Nihilus clip that can be found on YouTube, where Nihilus casts some explosive Force attack.

With scenes like that gone, he was just this figure existing for the sake of existing. Just gameplay elements, which is never ideal to go on. However it is very clear from several characters, like Kreia, Visas and even Tobin, that Nihilus was both designed and intended to have been, lore wise, inhumanely powerful. Like, literally, his humanity and human perspective was extinguished.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, even though he has these badass feats, many like to ignore his existence. It sucks that he was really in KOTOR 2 and in a darth krayt comic. I feel like Lucas and obsidian could have done so much more, but since Disney bought star wars I guess I'm just praying that maybe one day he will be in kingdom hearts.... For some reason. By the way thanks to all who replied, I intend to do some battle threads later on.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Meh.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

He's essentially a glass cannon. Take away his big gimmick (Drain) and he's left with decent TK (which is limited to lore / references). He's decently strong with the Force, but his lack of intelligence makes him easy to manipulate. Also, I don't recall him ever being proficient with lightsaber combat.

No... just no. I understand you have a great reputation on these boards, but I'm assuming that it's not because of your knowledge on Darth Nihilus. ;)

... yeah, I didn't bother reading further than that. That told me enough about you; I don't really care about your opinion.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JediXMan  Moderator
@reactor said:

Most Force users never display the kind of telekinetic feats he produced. He tore his capital ships from the grip of the mass shadow superweapon on Malachor V, and then held it in one piece. Not only was that an extremely impressive scale feat, but also one of endurance.

It is, but there's no context for it. It's purely based on lore; I believe it was mentioned that he has something of a bond with his ship, therefore it might not solely be a matter of raw TK. For that reason alone, I am always hesitant to take it at face value.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JediXMan  Moderator

It might prove to be an enlightening experience for both of us.

Not really. There is absolutely nothing you can tell me about Nihilus that I do not know.

It might prove to be an enlightening experience for both of us. I've been wanting to debate you now for a while.

That isn't happening. I only debate people I respect.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to put this information out there, I do believe that we only saw nihilus at his weakest point and yet he was still able to drain a planet in that state. I mean the TK feat could have been lore, but nihilus can drain planets so why not I guess. Honestly I think his main weakness is the fact that he has only 3 appearances.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nihilus has solid and powerful displays of telekinesis, but as soon as someone has a viable answer to his trump card(Drain) or has a massive speed advantage over him(which most do, actually), Nihilus just can't win. I in no way doubt his power, but he seems overspecialized in some cases.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

I honestly, don't know why people come into a Legends canon thread to say it's non-canon; that's like going into a Marvel Cinematic Universe thread and saying it's non-canon with Earth 616. You're not telling us anything we don't already know. It's off-topic and pointless, as - we're not discussing the main canon.

On topic, Nihilus is a very powerful Sith Lord - he sucks as a duelist though.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon wise I dont really care, like I see people always say, "what's the point of talking about caedus or nihilus they are non canon" but honestly if their story, comic, or game is good I dont care. And how would you guys rank him against other siths/jedis? Is he top tier? Can he take on bane, caedus, or plagueis?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Didn't he pilot a ship (comparable to a Star Destroyer) that was falling apart only with the Force?

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he did actually, he tore it up from malachor v, but jedixman is stating it could have been lore so it kind of gets me thinking. But if you drain a planet full of force sensitive and then you are able to use that force to amp yourself or whatever it seems likely to me that it could have been very possible for him to do said feat.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jedixman said:
@darthant66 said:

It might prove to be an enlightening experience for both of us.

Not really. There is absolutely nothing you can tell me about Nihilus that I do not know.

@darthant66 said:
It might prove to be an enlightening experience for both of us. I've been wanting to debate you now for a while.

That isn't happening. I only debate people I respect.

SNAP!

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing people give him crap for is his saber skills but I don't think he sucks in my opinion. He's not Darth maul or anything but he was at his weakest and given the fact he had to fight the exile and visas(who are more or less the kryptonite to nihilus's superman) doesn't really help his cause. But it never states he sucks at sabers or that he's good so i guess obsidian left it to the imagination of the player just in my opinion but I could be wrong. Having said that though I have no doubt in my mind he was more of a force user.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By ShootingNova

Even provided Nihilus's TK feats are taken absolutely literally, they are not unparalleled by any stretch of the imagination, lol, especially because of the potency of the nexus he performed it on. It's an excellent feat, but not the absolute best.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova has a point, I mean naga sadow had moved a sun(if I'm not confused) which is obviously heavier than the ravager. Nihilus while not being the most powerful SW character is pretty close in my opinion. His overall character is just metal as hell! I mean even the way he talks sounds like a death growl!

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, forgive me I've only just got super hardcore into star wars EU(because I always thought it sucked) but all these characters are better than the canon ones in my opinion. But I know more about nihilus than any other character. Speaking of, how would nihilus do against dooku? Or caedus?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

who does that?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JediXMan  Moderator

Yes he did actually, he tore it up from malachor v, but jedixman is stating it could have been lore so it kind of gets me thinking. But if you drain a planet full of force sensitive and then you are able to use that force to amp yourself or whatever it seems likely to me that it could have been very possible for him to do said feat.

I'm not saying it didn't happen; I'm saying that the feat needs context. First, Tobin implies that there is some sort of bond between Nihilus and the Ravager:

"This ship… is it his weakness? It should not exist, yet it cruises the darkness between the stars."

Tobin seems to exist solely for expository reasons - that's all he does on the ship. If such a bond between them exists, then the feat might not be transferable to other ships of that size, just the Ravager and possibly other ships from Malachor.

Second, as ShootingNova said: he did it on Malachor, a Force nexus.

Context is important. We never saw him do it, nor did we see him do anyother comparable feat. Because of this, it's difficult to take it at face value.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By geraltovrivia98

The relationship with him and his ship seems to hold a bit of a bond. Yet he did pull the ship from malachor v which is an impressive feat considering he wasn't even a sith lord back then as previously stated. So could It be that obsidian just left it to the imagination of the player?

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the gravity and the nexus cancelled one another out, then lifting the capital ship is a monumental feat but absolutely not "unrivaled".

Also, there's still doubts over Nihilus holding the ships together and moving them together in space, since upon his death, the ships remained intact and continued moving until the Proton bombs exploded.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@darthant66:

Even so, someone with no known ability or experience using the Force being capable of lifting, moving, and holding together capital ships across the entire galaxy far before their prime impresses me more than Kyp Durron / Luke Skywalker exerting all their Force power to manipulate an artificial black hole. They are (possibly) comparable though.

Luke never exerted all his power to manipulate the Black Hole TBH - Kyp did.

Plus, given the very nature of the pseudo Black Hole, or the real life ones it copies, it can very well be greater than lifting a capital ship. For something to become make a Black Hole of minimum mass from the get-go, one must contort mass/energy sufficient enough that the escape velocity in the specific area exceeds the relativistic speed, and the mass of which is far surpassing 1,000,000 tons on the extreme low-balling scale. The pure gravity and mass these singularities would need to casually catch hypersonic plus projectile/energy attacks, and atomize/absorb is astonishing.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gravity probably has an even greater effect than the nexus, tbh. Much of the ancient artifacts and cities that gave the planet its dark side energies were destroyed by the Mass Shadow Generator. Even so, someone with no known ability or experience using the Force being capable of lifting, moving, and holding together capital ships across the entire galaxy far before their prime impresses me more than Kyp Durron / Luke Skywalker exerting all their Force power to manipulate an artificial black hole. They are (possibly) comparable though.

Doubt all you want, I don't really care. Canon has directly stated that Darth Nihilus holds the ship together. It's possible his mere presence (which was still around due to the fact his robes and mask were left on the bridge), continued to hold it together. Or rather that the ship was slowly breaking apart again anyway, and the proton bombs made the destruction even faster.

Sure, but the immense number of Jedi who died there would've easily compensated for those artifacts.

And lifting capital ships isn't far beyond manipulating black holes, which are the ultimate gravity vortexes in history (beyond Malachor V).

His essence faded away, which is the important part. His robes and mask aren't going to suddenly sustain the ship. It's a plot hole, and that's as simple as it is.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@darthant66:

Great wall of text bro -I'll get back at you tomorrow, tbh.

I will say this though - you're underrating the power of a Singularity, so consider the proceeding to be something of a science lesson.(^.^)

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltovrivia98 said:

ShootingNova has a point, I mean naga sadow had moved a sun(if I'm not confused) which is obviously heavier than the ravager. Nihilus while not being the most powerful SW character is pretty close in my opinion. His overall character is just metal as hell! I mean even the way he talks sounds like a death growl!

Naga Sadow has never moved a sun, lol.

I think @geraltovrivia98 is referring to when he made the binary star system go nova to avoid a lengthy pursuit.

@darthant66:

Great wall of text bro -I'll get back at you tomorrow, tbh.

I will say this though - you're underrating the power of a Singularity, so consider the proceeding to be something of a science lesson.(^.^)

Ha! Nicely put.

geraltovrivia98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I dont know much about naga sadow so I get confused. And o forgot what I was going to write.... Guess it will have to wait until tomorrow :P

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps I was under the wrong impression, but as I understood it, Malachor V was not a Force Nexus, but a Wound in the Force - the exact opposite.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hhhhmmmmmmm.......

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

Perhaps I was under the wrong impression, but as I understood it, Malachor V was not a Force Nexus, but a Wound in the Force - the exact opposite.

It's both, oddly enough.

Oooof course -__- makes sense, seems legit

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:
@darthant66 said:
@reactor said:

It's both, oddly enough.

Oooof course -__- makes sense, seems legit

You shouldn't try to find sense of that game, lol. It's the same thing with Darth Nihilus: a Wound in the Force, yet also harnessing immensely powerful dark side energies.

Yeah, but him and Surik I could get. They were like black holes and the Force was like light. The Force was being drawn to them, and they could use it because of that. But I have no idea how they reconciled a Force nexus, which is basically a Force supernova in one location, with a Wound, which is like a black hole, being one and the same. *mind blown*