Why do people want comic deaths to matter ?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People always love to say " death in comics mean nothing they'll be back in one or two years ". If Flash , superman , spidey, and all of the other popular heroes stayed dead when they originally died DC and marvel both would be in financial ruin at this point. What are your thoughts on this ?

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Darling_Luna

Cause it more or less wastes time. If it's a major character we know they are not staying dead, thus for some rendering the story pointless. Now not so major characters should more less stay dead to keep the impact.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why is DC and Marvel the only medium where people don't stay dead? Movie, TV, books, and other comics once someone dies they stay dead...... What the point of a legacy character when they will never pick up the mantel..... Poor some of my forty to my homie Ned Stark.....

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna: It is still a good way to get a break from certain characters like Batman or Wolverine

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: Buffy , anime ,video games , movies especially action movies , all do it quite often outside of marvel and dc

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Or you can do that yourself and read other characters : D If you read Wolverine, you are there for him are you not ?

I get you, but like I said you can break away yourself.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MasterKungFu

once you die that's it

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna: I do or at least I try to read good characters/series when I get the chance to

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: I don't mean you you, you as in general

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, it would be a great way to see change and evolution in comics. I mean, I like Kal-El, but maybe if characters like him, Bruce, Peter, etc. would stay dead, we would see some real growth from characters that have been considered "teens" for decades now.

Bruce Wayne replaced by Tim or Dick, Supergirl taking over the position of top-dog her cousin held, Bart living up to the hype as the next Flash, Ben doing what he was actually created to do by taking over as the only Spider-Man following the Clone Saga.

DC and Marvel want to remain relevant, but think that sticking to the same characters they have for decades is a key part of that. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with it, but if you're going to keep these characters around, let's not pretend that one of them dying is that huge a deal in the grand scheme of things.

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say because it loses the impact of the moment, A character's death should not be done lightly. Having your characters resurrected over and over again makes it all meaningless.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: comics are on going, even book series end

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I don't have a problem with them dying or 'dying', nor do I think all of them even need epic, fight to the bitter end send offs. It's just that deaths and 'shake ups' have been used a lot in the past few years and it's basically become cliché.

The fact that other characters aren't spotlighted enough (events are a perfect time to show off a character) is why deaths and MIA moments lose impact because Marvel and DC don't build up others to fill the shoes.