Why do people think MoS Superman was so fast?

• 92 results
bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bflynn316
No Caption Provided

My question is more about reaction speed than travel speed. I know he can fly really fast, but I was watching the movie and I couldn't find a single time he showed reaction speed that even put him on MCU Iron Man's level. Am I missing something?

Please tag me in your responses, cuz I'd like to know the answer.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bflynn316: He fought Faora, who displayed blitzes faster than most Marvel characters.

Maybe you should have paid attention.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Well...

• That's ABC logic
  • She blitzes fast, but there's no evidence to show that it's even close to bullet speed
  • She seemed a lot faster than him in terms of reaction speed, and even she wasn't a bullet timer

Maybe it's you who should have paid attention buddy.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I wanna be very clear: I know he can blitz fast. I get that he has very fast travel speed. But that doesn't equal reaction time.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bflynn316: ABC Logic isn't always a fallacy.

Clark was reacting to Faora, who blitzed people multiple times faster than eyes could follow.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: when did Clark once react to her? He just tanked her blows then hit her back after she blitzed him every time

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@bflynn316: He fought Faora, who displayed blitzes faster than most Marvel characters.

Maybe you should have paid attention.

And she absolutely punked him for the first section of the fight, up until he started bull rushing, which if you paid attention would know is not the same thing as combat speed.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buildhare: It feels good to be in agreement with you for once haha

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buildhare

@buildhare: It feels good to be in agreement with you for once haha

We've only disagreed like twice, there is still hope.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say it comes down to three things.

1. Faora. Clark hit her and she's fast so he must be fast too.

2. Flight. Clark flies fast and some viewers do not make a distinction in travel speed vs reflexes etc.

3. Expectation. Superman is fast in comics so obviously he must be fast in other mediums.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He tags Faora who flash-step one shots 15 Spec-Ops Airmen in 3 seconds. That's good enough for me.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buildhare: Yeah she did, until Clark picked up his speed.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WastelandMan

Because Superman bullrushed Faora that one time, people automatically transfer her speed feats to him which is nonsensical.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Considering she's been on Earth for less than 24 hours and he's been on Earth for 33 years, yeah it makes sense.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: Considering she's been on Earth for less than 24 hours and he's been on Earth for 33 years, yeah it makes sense.

Considering he's never moved that fast in combat like Faora, no it doesn't.

Dare you to show me him display that level of combat or reaction speed. I'd love to see it.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2. Flight. Clark flies fast and some viewers do not make a distinction in travel speed vs reflexes etc.

3. Expectation. Superman is fast in comics so obviously he must be fast in other mediums.

Actually this covers it better.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThePreface

@m_man: moving the goal posts. The argument isn't whether he's faster than Faora, who is extremely fast, it's whether or not Supes is fast.

Since Foara is that fast after about a day of exposure to yellow solar radiation and Supes has been exposed to it his whole life, and they have the same power set, it's a pretty safe extrapolation that if Supes pushes himself he can move at those speeds.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WastelandMan

@thepreface said:

@m_man: moving the goal posts.

Based one what? o.O

The argument isn't whether he's faster than Faora

I never said he was or that anyone claimed that.

it's whether or not Supes is fast.

Then show me some fast combat speed that puts him on par with her. I asked you the first time.

Since Foara is that fast after about a day of exposure to yellow solar radiation and Supes has been exposed to it his whole life, and they have the same power set, it's a pretty safe extrapolation that if Supes pushes himself he can move at those speeds.

Unless he's actually moved that fast in combat, which he never has once, it's not a safe assumption at all. Just because they're all Kryptonains doesn't mean they all share feats.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

• He fought Faora, who blitz like ten people in 5 seconds, easily.
  • He flew from Earth to our outer most part of the atmosphere in a matter of seconds.
  • He was easily flying faster than speed of sound, as displayed by the MULTIPLE sonic booms each time he flew.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I have a question, and this is in general. Why the hell do people care about feats so much?? Who cares if Superman is a bullet timer or not?? Can't we just enjoy the movie?? People take battle forum feats and turn them into cinematic criticisms.

klbro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he fought against the world engines defense mechanism (the tentacles). He showed great reaction speeds. And his maneoverabilty while flying was ridiculous.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By MasterKungFu

I have a question, and this is in general. Why the hell do people care about feats so much?? Who cares if Superman is a bullet timer or not?? Can't we just enjoy the movie?? People take battle forum feats and turn them into cinematic criticisms.

I'm afraid this is what CV has dissolved into. users can deny all they want but they cherish feats more than story

sometimes it's just better for Character X who can destroy the world to actually destroy the world than have something else suggest he could without him actually doing it............smh

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clark's battle with zod was fast enough to create sonic booms with their hits

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By w0nd

@bflynn316:

Watch his battle against the world engine tentacles. Great speed shown there, he was dodging so fast that the world engine had to gas him to catch him. The fight cheogropher also said the deliberately put speed trails with each punch to show how fast they were fighting.

This is good enough for me, the only thing this boils down to now is how inconsistent it is displayed....but come on, this is comics we are talking about, there are inconsistencies everywhere.

As soon as someone who has directly worked on it tells you how something is, you can argue all you want, you can say it sucked, how it wasn't shown all that well, how poorly it was executed....at the end of the day if they say he has a certain speed it does i guess otherwise it just turns in to everyone saying "I don't like that answer, so I am going to change it and pass that off as fact" Which is what people also do all the time.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe it's said because that's what the special effects team tried to do when they did the shockwaves and the motion blur (to represent that they were breaking the speed of sound with their punches).

http://www.awn.com/vfxworld/making-superman-fly-again-man-steel

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're too slow

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He makes fast people look not fast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The speed feats shown by Clark in the Man of Steel movie showed that he is still faster than 616 Comics version of Thor.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

YES!

Also, this.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The speed feats shown by Clark in the Man of Steel movie showed that he is still faster than 616 Comics version of Thor.

Can we not bring that "Thor is really slllllooooooowwww" topic up?

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

I'm afraid this is what CV has dissolved into. users can deny all they want but they cherish feats more than story

sometimes it's just better for Character X who can destroy the world to actually destroy the world than have something else suggest he could without him actually doing it............smh

I promise that wasn't the point of my post, I just wanted to see where he fell in the speed category. I actually loved MoS.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Yeah I honestly hate this. Like how people bash on the Daredevil show beacuse they think he's "weak".

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@risingbean said:

We have a winner.

• ABC logic
  • Travel Speed = Combat Speed
  • Fan Bias.

Yup. Even then, the blitzes are slow enough that we as a adiance can see them in real time.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

These Jedi are as fast as Faora lol.

Or maybe it's said because that's what the special effects team tried to do when they did the shockwaves and the motion blur (to represent that they were breaking the speed of sound with their punches).

Nah. If they wanted to show of Super speed they can do what Matrix and X-Men did.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Look at that, clear super speed from Audience point of view.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

Well, clearly he can't react at super-speed. Being shot multiple times, blitzed by subsonic characters, etc., He has incredible senses, but his body just doesn't move that fast IMO. He generates force through sheer power rather than speed.

As for Faora, even in the scene where she blitzes the soldiers are able to react and keep pelting her with bullets. She is not moving faster than their bullets, or their senses, meaning a regular human with super strength should be able to keep up. These guys are barely faster than MCU Cap, IMO, unless you're talking about travel speed.

Dodging the tentacles is cool, but very inconsistent compared to the rest of his showings. I dunked in basketball once, doesn't mean I can do it again even if I try 1000 times, lol.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Black_Arrow

@black_arrow said:

Nah. If they wanted to show of Super speed they can do what Matrix and X-Men did.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

They evindently failed to potray the super speed. Zack said in many interviews that he didn't want to use the slow motion to show Superman's speed, yet he wanted the fight be clear enough so that the viewers could see what's going on. An the guy who said that in the interview is the guy in charge of the special effects so I think he knows what he was going for. This is similar to using an author statement to clarify a comic book scan, only in this case it's used to clarify what's on screen.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By tensor

@bflynn316Ironman reaction Speed post them I would like to see this great feat you are talking about.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because hes Superman

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Thats the issue though. Your statement means little when the speed is unspecified, which then falls to the debater to argue the feat. By feats, the speed is not that fast.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Thats the issue though. Your statement means little when the speed is unspecified, which then falls to the debater to argue the feat. By feats, the speed is not that fast.

Well the guy on the interview (VFX supervisor) specified the speed: "In addition to superhero speed they would throw punches that would minimally break the sound barrier so there would be shock waves. At the same time, they didn't want to lose the force of the punches completely in motion blur (except as a gag with Zod's partner, Faora). They added effects to it by putting mock cones on the forearms, shockwave effects when they hit blows as visual cues."

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz said:
@black_arrow said:

They evindently failed to potray the super speed. Zack said in many interviews that he didn't want to use the slow motion to show Superman's speed, yet he wanted the fight be clear enough so that the viewers could see what's going on. An the guy who said that in the interview is the guy in charge of the special effects so I think he knows what he was going for. This is similar to using an author statement to clarify a comic book scan, only in this case it's used to clarify what's on screen.

I don't think they failed. I understood as I was watching the movie superman was throwing punches faster than sound. We also saw him dodge a bullet after it was fired (albeit he also got shot at another point). He obviously isn't as fast as his comic counter part but in comparison to other super heroes he's pretty fast. Spider-man and quick silver are probably the only super hero movie character that I can think of that are faster than Clark.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Was kind of hoping for a real speed feat from this movie

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@black_arrow said:
@sirfizzwhizz said:
@black_arrow said:

I don't think they failed. I understood as I was watching the movie superman was throwing punches faster than sound. We also saw him dodge a bullet after it was fired (albeit he also got shot at another point). He obviously isn't as fast as his comic counter part but in comparison to other super heroes he's pretty fast. Spider-man and quick silver are probably the only super hero movie character that I can think of that are faster than Clark.

I was just saying because it seems that many people don't see what they tried to potray on the film. I also understood like you did and I was surprised when I found many people that didn't get it that way.

Yeah he has some really good speed feats in comparasion to the other movie characters.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By BappyRonChantin
@the_stegman said:

this.... even though I don't think the op was trying to criticize the movie, some people actually accuse a movie of being a failure when the movie character is not shown as powerful as the battle forum counterpart

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: "Not that fast"?

In what context? Those feats are faster than 99% of CBM characters in fights.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean said:

We have a winner.

• ABC logic
  • Travel Speed = Combat Speed
  • Fan Bias.

You know what's funny, Sir FW? I didn't even think to translate my descriptions into those terms. I must say they are apt in hindsight.

Concerning that last one, I feel @the_stegman is often correct. Many "fans" often grade a movie based on the high end feats they can bring to the forums rather then the entertainment value, and if those fans are predisposed to liking a character who lacks certain advantages, they'll bend facts as much as they can to feed that fan bias.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't want shock waves, motion blurs, or quick moving objects. They don't want to use their common sense to predict how fast something is moving. Instead, they want to be told be a narrator how fast something is moving, like a child.

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark got tagged by a bullet.

Smh...