Why do people think every DC movie will have a dark tone?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Every time people talk about the future DC movies someone will always complain all the movies will have a dark tone. How do they know and why do they assume that? Just because the one movie in the DCCU so far (MOS) had a dark serious tone doesn't mean WB/DC is stupid enough to make all their films in the same tone. Lets look at other superhero shows and movies set in the same universe: The Flash is a spinoff of Arrow a dark and gritty show but the Flash is a more lighthearted and humorous show. Superman: The Animated Series didn't have the same tone Batman: The Animated Series had. GOTG was different from The Winter Soldier. Not in the same universe but Green Lantern was the 1st big DC movie after TDK and they didn't try to make GL dark even though the super successful TDK was and came out only 3 years prior.

I know someone will bring up the rumor about DC allegedly having a "No jokes" policy but I'm pretty sure that's been confirmed to not be true. That just sounds ridiculous even the TDK trilogy had jokes and moments of levity. I can easily see Flash and Shazam having a more MCU feel to them so I don't think every movie in the DCCU will be like MOS.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they are for the most part.. although people mistake dark and serious from time to time.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they are for the most part.. although people mistake dark and serious from time to time.

For the most part? There's been just 1 movie in the DCCU so far I'm not including the TDK trilogy because it's not apart of this movieverse. Like I said it can be like Arrow where there will be lighter movies that spin out from it. I agree with you about people thinking serious and dark are the same thing.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Outside_85

Because people expected something like this when MoS came to theatres:

No Caption Provided

And instead they got something more like this:

No Caption Provided

And people thought that was because Nolan was attached to the project, so it must have drawn on experience from the DKR trilogy.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 560

Why does it matter if the movie is good?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The dark colouring tone of their posters. That's about it.

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HopeOnFire

Because they've mistaken dark and dreary for serious and amazing.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I know I for one, only want one tone in every movie I ever see. I don't want diversity. I want the same film every time regardless of which company is doing it.

And unless you have 500 jokes in a film, its not fun. There is only one definition of fun.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Because they are stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

DC seems to be casting themselves as the "dark and adult" answer to Marvel's "fun for the whole family" image.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

MoS wasn't dark, just serious.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Because DC usually is dark, sometimes that can be cool. Gives a more brutal feel in the fights. Compare batman and captain America, who is the darker one.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

Man of Steel wasn't dark and gritty (I'm starting to hate those words), it was just more serious than something like Donner Superman that made Lex into a joke, and had Superman constantly smiling and saluting people.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because they've mistaken dark and dreary for serious and amazing.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SilverPool

Man of Steel wasn't dark and gritty (I'm starting to hate those words), it was just more serious than something like Donner Superman that made Lex into a joke, and had Superman constantly smiling and saluting people.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm getting sick of hearing about things being dark and gritty too, the term grimdark is the absolute worst. You're right that the biggest reason it was called dark so much is because Cavill's Superman was more serious than Reeve's Superman. Serious (Superman, Captain America) and dark (Batman, the Punisher) aren't always the same thing but it seems most people will never learn that.