#1 Posted by THORSON (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

what happened to the fun?

people are always swearing, insulting and hating people just because they like another character.

#2 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

They take it personal is more like it. Same thing when I insult a band someone likes and they start hurling insults at me, as if I've degraded their character. If I say I don't like Batman I'm not saying I don't like people who like Batman, but that's the way some people take it.

#3 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: I'm Batman so you're insulting me. lol

#4 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

Same thing with movies, sports teams, and music. People like certain things and take it personal when others don't.

#5 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: Oh sorry. I didn't realize you had a comicvine account. Eyes everywhere and all that.

#6 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: I hear most high-profile criminals spend their time in here.

#7 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: Well, there are plenty of people here who should be arrested and taken to Arkham.

#8 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: There's ReVamp, TheCearealKills, InnverVenom, and ect.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book characters are important. They're a part of history that grows with the reader. When you kill off a character, or replace one with another, you're killing off someone that the reader has known, or could know, for years.

#10 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: You should have @ replied them. Get them all in one spot so you can take them out at once, like that one issue of Detective comics...

#11 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: Cereal is a planet buster unfortunately, my plan in taking him down is in process. The other two should not be a problem.

#12 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@THORSON: What annoys me more, is how people take celebrities so seriously. I'd rather get worked up about the Kent's than the Kardashians :p

I personally wouldn't say I treat it seriously, more that I treat it critically, like other people would when debating a prose novel or a film character etc. There's definitely a lot of fun in comics still (read the A+X series atm, it's completely carefree) but at the same time, it's nice to look at it from a more articulate angle from time to time and get behind the emotions and intentions of a character/writer.

#13 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

We get swearing because people are stupid.

People take comics seriously generally because they pour a lot of money into it.......!

#14 Posted by lagoon_boy (10954 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't know why that happens. Also, some comments may sound personal because of people who tend to swear a lot. I don't swear at all, maybe a few slips here and there, but I don't see the point in swearing.

#15 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1910 posts) - - Show Bio

It does make you wonder what's going on with the rest of their lives. If they get so worked up over someone saying "I think Thor could beat Superman" (or vice-versa), What do they do when someone disagrees with them over something that's actually relevant? A huge part of it is pride, IMHO. The pride they have in whatever character they attach to, and the pride in defending said character. The fact that none of these guys actually exist, and their feats are at the mercy of the writer, doesn't matter. At least celebrities, sports teams and bands actually exist, giving those disagreements a little more validity.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33495 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I see it is if a person slags off a book/character/writer I like then it puts off other pepole from reading said book and as I don't really read big A-List books then thats just one more step along the road to cancellation  

#17 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

peeps is dum

#18 Posted by THORSON (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything said:

It does make you wonder what's going on with the rest of their lives. If they get so worked up over someone saying "I think Thor could beat Superman" (or vice-versa), What do they do when someone disagrees with them over something that's actually relevant? A huge part of it is pride, IMHO. The pride they have in whatever character they attach to, and the pride in defending said character. The fact that none of these guys actually exist, and their feats are at the mercy of the writer, doesn't matter. At least celebrities, sports teams and bands actually exist, giving those disagreements a little more validity.

TRUE!

#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (6563 posts) - - Show Bio

@THORSON said:

what happened to the fun?

people are always swearing, insulting and hating people just because they like another character.

i know right. Also when it comes to feats or battles or trying to explain powers they try to figure it out with math and science. I mean its a comic just sit back and relax andstop trying to over complcate it.

#20 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

People get heated up because they love the characters and when someone says a bad thing about them it's like they are insulting your family.

#21 Posted by sagejonathan (1959 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

People get heated up because they love the characters and when someone says a bad thing about them it's like they are insulting your family.

#22 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care if someone dislikes something I like, but don't be ignorant about it.

#23 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio
IMHO the said fun hasn't left, but people do take it too far sometimes. Nothing in life is perfect. The bad complements the good. (+)
#24 Posted by New_World_Order (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

Lol, this

#25 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

"Us" vs "Them" has always been a part of human culture, and probably always will be. We need ways to draw lines between people in our circle and those in other circles (whether it's interests, beliefs, etc). Inclusion & exclusion. It's all evolution (being wary of other tribes that your tribe was competitive with). We'll probably always be fighting/arguing/warring over something - ie: never become a peaceful unified planet like described in some comics & sci-fi.

#26 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Comic book characters are important. They're a part of history that grows with the reader. When you kill off a character, or replace one with another, you're killing off someone that the reader has known, or could know, for years.

Or you're killing D list fodder in which case then you're just making me flip off the book. >.<

#27 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

My grandfather drew for DC so that's why I care. Or at least voice an opinion.