Why do people say Geoff Johns hates Batman?

• 174 results
Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@pperspectiveandreality: In Azz's run, yes, Diana is shown displaying bother of the firsy two. She's not a detective, she's a warrior, so the latter doesnt count.

-To the same level as Batman regularly does?

But you're writing Superman down, of course he has a desire to learn. His job is to seek answers, how can you say he doesnt care to learn everything?

-No I'm not. Youre comparing Clark seeking knowledge inthe realm of a reporter to Batman seeking knowledge about anything even to the level of understanding the toxicity levels of random substances should he ever be confronted with sucha threat. Batman's character is one that is supposed to represent the pinnacle of hardwork and dedication. Clark seeks knowledge because its' his job and Bruce does it because it's his lifes mission.

Okay, thats called PIS BTW. And I'm glad you believe Batman can prep for Flash and Diana--characters that move faster than he could possibly react, but he cant keep a crazy guy in a mimimum security crazy house.

-I could just as easily say that Superman's refusal to kill is PIS. This is comics. It's acinine to complain that villains don't go away forever once apprehended. Again, Arkham is not Bruce's responsibility.

Comparing Batman's understanding of normal people to any of the JL is silly, the guy has tendencies most attributable to a sociopath. He fakes being normal to most of the people you listed. And just because Bruce's rouges are more popular than Barry's it doesn't mean they're more criminal. Bruce deals with crazies, Barry deals with criminals. Trying to downplay Barry's understanding of the criminal mind is you trying to wank.

-Him being a sociopath does'nt harm his ability to percieve human nature at all. Sure it could make him antisocial and make him lack a conscience (but Bruce certainly has a conscience.) but it in no way damages his ability to understand how people think and operate. Also, there really isn't a comparison to what Bruce deals with and what Barry deals with. All Batman's villains are criminally insane. Sure Barry may deal with a lot of murderers but it has never once been alluded to that he's dealing with people as deranged as two-face, joker, clayface, riddler, mr freeze, scarecrow, zsaz etc. and saying that Bruce likely has a better understanding of the criminal mind than Bruce is not "wanking" Batman, as you so eloquently put it. They're simply not on the same level when it comes to understanding criminals and I know this because I read both characters consistently.

As far as the last point, I never said Johns was writing a quality Batman. The question is "Why do people say Geoff hates Batman". If you're talking characterization, Geoff's Superman isn't rallying the team around him and boosting morale either, but you guys say he "hates" Batman when he's treated Batman better than Superman or GL, two characters he's supposed to "fanboy" over.

-Great. now point out to me where I said "Geoff hates Batman". From the very beginning of our correspondence I've only asserted he writes a terribly poor characterized version of Batman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Superguy1591

@pperspectiveandreality:

I don't know, I don't regularly read Batman, but again, she's not a detective, she's a fighter. Her tactical abilities are only displayed when she fights, she doesn't go looking for criminals.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Clark's desire to learn then, we'll get nowhere.

Superman's no kill policy is PIS, that's why no one thinks Luthor would do well against a bloodlusted Superman. As far as Batman is concerned, you believing he would be able to prep for someone who can hit him millions of times before he moves and him not being able to stop all crime in Gotham is just lunacy. Prepping for Diana and Flash is so far past PIS, I don't even have words for it. Even if I humor you and say that Batman is so brilliant he can prep for anything. Batman trying to fight Diana would be like Stephen Hawkins trying to fight Mike Tyson...without his wheelchair. The level of disbelief required for me to believe that Batman can prep for speedsters with a pop in their punch Wonder Woman or is not possible.

First of all, I don't know how we moved past Barry being better able to retrieve information to this, but I wish to bring around full circle. The people who hide intell aren't lunatics, Bruce's expertise on lunatics doesn't make him better suited for intell retrieval. Barry's understanding of the criminal mind isn't something I want to engage in any further either. You seem to think Batman is the best at everything and that the rest of the JL are just punchers without a brain. That's probably why you can't understand what Bat-God is, that's Batman to you.

Well, your idea of a "good" Batman is kinda Bat-God. So...

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading JL31, I know some people are going to be critical of Johns still.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@superguy1591: Just out of curiousity, are you for or against Johns' JL?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I wish he would stop writing Superman out--which it looks like he's about to do again--but, other than that, I'm pro-Geoff Johns as long as he doesn't get too Silver Age-y.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The tension is real.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Annnh every character is depicted differently depending on the writer, so I kind of expect one writer to write a character weaker or stronger than another.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

What do you guys think of his JL Batman now?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Cuz Hal Doesn't take Bruces BullSh*t

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a bad portrayal of Batman.

Not as bad as Frank Miller's, though (All-Staf Batman and Robin).

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I bump this troll.

When the majority of evidence for a position comes from one writer who is accused of not writing characters well, you have proved the point of accusers.

Read Brubaker, O'Niell, Adams, Infantino, Daniel, Moench, Dixon, and Azarello's work on Batman to get a really good idea why Johns work is inconsistent.

O'Neill, Adams, Infantino, Julie Schwarz, Moench, Dixon, Loeb, and Brubaker and Ricks account for most Batman core ties from the late 1960s to the early 2000s. You can even throw in Alan Moore's work on Batman.

The 40 year stretch of time had Batman as an elite martial artist with genius intellect better able to confront traditional criminals and low level metahumans than standard police and militaries.

None of these writers had him made out to be able to contribute to something so high power as the justice League.

Johns does not make Batman more human. Dennis O'Niell did that from 1972-2000. He literally throws out every aspect of Batman and substitutes his own.

If his new Earth One Batman actually behaved like a person this would be a discussion. But Johns has only one note characters in the Justice League and in Earth One Batman. His insane Bruce Wayne is only a long string of tv derived stereotypes of rich people and the mentally ill. His Gotham is just a collection of stereotypes of urban decay. His resolution is the stereotype appeal to popular blood justice and one man lunch mob.

If people actually read Morrison's run on JLA it would be obvious that Batman is only Batgod in a pantheon of more powerful god level beings. Batman is the trickster god of the JLA because he is so much less physically and spiritually. Morrison makes it abundantly clear that Superman is laughably smarter than ANY and ALL human characters in DC.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Yes. Morrison made Superman smarter than Lex luthor. A lot smarter. the gap was worse than Red Son.

So I can with confidence call VS on those who feel that Johns has an authentic or respectful take on batman.

If he threw out the origen made by Bob Kane, and the in Canon connection to Kane in his Elseworlds; why should we assume that he is not undermining the character?

His claim of realism is a lie. the mental illness claim falls apart when further stress is applied to the ill person after they have had a psychotic event. Unless the person were psychopathic, in which case they would be absent of even minor neuroses causes by traumatic events.

I have family with PTSD and have actually had treatment for mental health issues. His claims and execution are offensive trash.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord: unbump me then because I never said Geoff writes a more human Batman, I said Geoff doesn't write Bat-God, which is when writers write Batman up at the expense of other superheroes. Like Snyder writing Batman being able to shoot down Flash or some dumb shield that blocks Superman's heat-vision when Superman's heat-vision is hotter than the sun.

Like Timm writing Batman be the one person to evade Darkseid's omega beams when there are speedsters like Flash running around or Superman, with his great speed, couldn't. Or Batman being able to make Darkseid stumble from a kick.

That is what I mean by Bat-God. I would never claim to that a writer writes Batman well in anything since I rarely ever read Batman books. The only time I read Batman is when he interacts with everyone else.

I don't hate or even dislike Batman, I just don't like when other characters are written badly.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: then you should hate Johns writing of the Justice League.

No one is written as they are in their own books except his babies.

And the only thing I get from your post is Wa wa wa humans do not belong in the League wa wa wa.

And, as usual, context is ignored. Characters performance in their own series is ignored. To justify whining.

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord: it seems youre the one thats whining, im glad johns hates him, maybe we can get some stories not centered around him

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I don't think he hates Batman, but I don't think he really knows how to write the character to make him relevant to the League.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't read DC but hasn't it been said that under Johns run... Batman was a d**k

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone said:

@senglord: it seems youre the one thats whining, im glad johns hates him, maybe we can get some stories not centered around him

Whining is described as to give or make a long, high-pitched complaining cry or sound. The majority of posters that hate Batman admit that Johns has a different take on Batman than is common to the New 52 and before. I simply cite the wider catalog to establish that his Batman is at direct odds with his portrayal by the regarded writers of the character. Kevin Smith writes a better Batman than Johns. And there has not been a worse writer for Wonder Woman in 70+ years. It is that d&mn bad.

@senglord: unbump me then because I never said Geoff writes a more human Batman, I said Geoff doesn't write Bat-God, which is when writers write Batman up at the expense of other superheroes. Like Snyder writing Batman being able to shoot down Flash or some dumb shield that blocks Superman's heat-vision when Superman's heat-vision is hotter than the sun.

Like Timm writing Batman be the one person to evade Darkseid's omega beams when there are speedsters like Flash running around or Superman, with his great speed, couldn't. Or Batman being able to make Darkseid stumble from a kick.

That is what I mean by Bat-God. I would never claim to that a writer writes Batman well in anything since I rarely ever read Batman books. The only time I read Batman is when he interacts with everyone else.

I don't hate or even dislike Batman, I just don't like when other characters are written badly.

This guy was whining about Bat-God throughout this thread. I merely pointed out the flagrant Bull$hit in his every single post with almost a half century of consistent portrayals. The writers I mentioned toned batman down from his Silver Age know it all incarnation. Which was a weaker version of his Golden Age metahuman iteration. He then complains about Bat-God. Most writers of JLA used a consistent Batman based on the comics for most years before Waid and Morrison revived the Silver Age interpretation of the JLA.

Johns has $hit over every character that is best received by writing styles that he has demonstrated no aptitude for. Iron Man is a thinking character. Johns IM from Avengers was not.

@superguy1591 whining comes from a human having a role besides dying...it is idiotic considering that Batman has made more money for DC the past three decades than all the rest combined. So real money keeps Batman alive. it is a comic book designed to make money. If the most popular heroes are not there, then no one will buy the book. No Batman in JLA, 40% loss of sales. I honestly loved looking at how close Batman and the Outsiders did in the 1980s compared to the JLA. a lackluster Batman and a cast of not standard unknowns was taking a competitive chunk out of the JLA sales.

The johns version of Batman is a negation of every characteristic that defines the character from the writers mentioned. If the human and realistic interpretations were the exclusive barometer for a Batman characterization, then Johns goes against 40 years of content. If we include All the major writers, then Johns goes against 70 years of content.

IMHO Johns does not seem to hate the character of Batman. If you read his work for DC especially, you will see that his reinvention of characters takes stale characters and uses similar character development techniques first used in Batman and Detective Comics. The relationship between Sinestro/Hal Jordan and Arthur/Manta and Flash/Reverse Flash uses the same psychological motif brought out by O'Niell with Raa's/Batman and Batman/Joker and Batman/Two-Face. Each villain is rarely treated as a god type character in Batman, but they are so well written that they are regularly featured as some of the best villains in comics. And the meat of their best stories happened either with O'Niell writing or editing.

Johns destroys the character of Batman because he has never been able to write characters like him well. Johns loves to show his talent by writing stories that are a step above the stories that the character is usually written for. Batman has the best written stories in comics. He is the character with the most critically acclaimed stories in comics. His stories have earned the most awards in comics. Batman shows and movies are better reviewed than other comic book movies. And they all feature the most time tested and reader approved interpretation of the character. If Johns wanted to write an accepted interpretation, he would be compared to O'Niell, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Jeph Loeb, and Grant Morrison. He would not be the great comic book writer that saved Batman like he was hailed as being for Superman. He would have to write against his own demonstrated strengths and come up short against the best writers in the business.

So he decides that the best way to not lose is to not play. His Batman's personality is pulled from whole cloth, with no resemblance to anything commonly associated with the Dark Knight. And when the time comes for a safe and by the numbers Batman...just look at his performance in the DCAU. If Johns cannot improve a character in a meaningful way, he does not seem to write them seriously.

Case in point...Superman during Justice League Volume 1-4. The first two volumes of Action Comics were written by Grant Morrison, considered the third greatest living comic book writer behind Stan Lee and Alan Moore. Volume 1 and 2 of Justice League gives Superman no personality. Why...because it is hard to write a really good Superman. And if the best Superman writer is writing Action Comics, then you are sacrificing time and energy to write the second best version of a popular character. Triage.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Superguy1591

@awesomeperson: he also said that Superman hasn't inspired anyone since he died, which is a direct shot at Superman's sales.

And Batman IS a d*ck. He spies on his teammates and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord: If you believe that Iron Man wasn't written well under Johns, and believe that Johns just doesn't write "thinking" characters like Iron Man and Batman well, why the hell do you guys think Geoff hates Batman?

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By senglord

@superguy1591: I used to think that. But the biggest critical flaw to his writing has been the lack of layers and subtexts. If he cannot write the character well, he should keep the use to a minimum.

Batman, Iron Man, and most superhero comics are most critically received when there is a clear subtext to what is read on the page.

If Iron Man's best stories are read in a critical light, he is the genius of America with all the good and bad mixed up.

The best batman stories have a lot of subtext when read critically. Morrison likes to put four or more conflicting interpretations in his best works and leave the reader to parse them all out.

Johns tends to be direct and classical with his writing. And writing Batman literally is possible, but rarely long lasting. Year One can work as a straightforward action yarn. Or it can be that a loud challenge to a corrupt system can enable smaller characters like Selina Kyle to actually get things done. Making the comic a criticism of one great man changing the world. This from Miller the misogynist. Arkham Asylum can be a direct fight in Arkham, or a dream.

Snyder creates a great horror vibe to the Court of Owls by highlighting that the Court is everywhere, yet only someone with the skills and money of Batman can combat them. subtext-

The court is, itself, a combination cult and clan. The essence of Gothic horror, with the good men and women tortured and broken for the benefit of a decadent ruling elite.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

Bat fanboys are mad that he doesn't make him bat god

Screw you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering he gave Batman practically a universe changing event dedicated to him, its safe to say he doesn't hate batman.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One scene I didn't like by Geoff Johns about Batman was when he openly exposed his secret identity to Hal Jordan in the first JL comic of the new52 out in the open of the city. that was dumb

Makes no sense to me.

He:

- Made Batman the leader of the Justice League

because he is/ always was

- Made him to be the smartest member of the League

- Writes him as a human fighting among powerhouses

- Makes him relevant despite this

Batman will always be relevant

- Gets the character right (IMO)

GJ gets almost every character right. He's terrific

- Consistently has Batman be the level headed voice of reason among the League

So I really don't know why they say Johns hates Batman. I think he writes him well.

I agree.