#1 Edited by Dreamcast89 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people like trades? Doesn't it take away the charm of an actual comic book? I noticed some people collect them as well, is that because they're super rare?

Also, who came up with the term trades? It makes it extremely annoying when trying to discuss actual comic trades where people swap.

#2 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes it easily to read comics.

#3 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

They're often cheaper as a set than singularly (although Marvel's recent 4 issue trades are more expensive...grrrr). They're more durable than comic books, especially hardcover. They're easier to find and buy then singular back issues of comic books.

I'm sure there's more reasons on the top of these.

#4 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I collect both, sometimes its nice to just get a full story.

#5 Posted by inferiorego (24845 posts) - - Show Bio

They look nice on my shelf

Staff
#6 Posted by danhimself (22564 posts) - - Show Bio

I came up with the term "trades"....it was 35 years ago today actually....I was standing on my toilet hanging a picture and I slipped and fell and hit my head...when I woke up I had the glorious idea for trade paperbacks.....you're welcome

#7 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

They usually collect a full story, and can be read without having to fumble with multiple issues. There are usually no adds, they can be taken places with less hastle, and in the past they were cheaper....not so much now. They're great for catching up on a series that one is way behind on, or one that finished a long time ago (rather than having to track down EVERY ISSUE on eBay or something). They can also be stored more easily (on shelves), and are more durable.

I have no idea why they're called trades, but it's not usually that confusing since they're often just referred to as graphic novels or TPBs.

#8 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Price
  • No Ads
  • Durable
  • Extras
  • Complete Story/Story Arc
#9 Posted by sagejonathan (1959 posts) - - Show Bio

Can be cheaper, easier to find than single issues, good display. I get them if their older stories that I don't have.

#10 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

You get the whole story in one piece. And they tend to be hardcover, and hence more durable.

#11 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

i prefer single issues. i only get trades to catch up on good stories since it'll cost less than buying every individual issue.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer trades because I don't like waiting a month to read a chapter in a 6 issue arc. That's just me.