Why do people hate the Man of Steel movie?

• 111 results
DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have recently watched the Man of steel movie so I am a little late but why do people hate it so much? I think people are hung up on superman killing general zod and they think it's not the superman that everyone knows and hates/loves. Or people hate zack Snyder so I'm guessing that has something to do with it. Or maybe they just want to agree with Mark Waid.

I personally disagree with a lot of people's opinions on it. I thought it was such a great film and glad that this superman is here to stay.

After watching iron man 3 I was soooooo dissappointed. I've gotten tired of tonys personality and his big shot attitude and corny jokes. I've gotten tired of marvels need to put joke after joke after joke in their movies. I get it's a superhero movie but when you have so many jokes, it kind of kills the sense of danger for the viewer and makes the villain look like a joke. The only villains I enjoyed in any of marvels movies were Loki and magneto in first class. what was the villain in IM3's motive anyway? I was silent after the movie finished. Didn't like it at all.

I think that the man of steel was just a breath of fresh air for me. I think people forget its an origin story and they're building up Clark to be the superhero he has to be.

The over protectiveness of Jonathan kent made his passing kind of touching to me. The emotions that Clark was showing when zod was forcing him to either kill him or let those people die. The emotion afterwards. Zack put an inexperienced superman in a dark situation. And I applaud him for that really. It's not like superman killed the man that killed his father and shrugged it off like it was nothing. I'm just confused at people's reaction to it. Don't you see that superman got his hands dirty, got blood on his hand for a family that he doesn't even know? That's not heroic at all? And the destruction was a bit much but can that honestly be avoided? The disregard for human life is bull. You just saved the world and it's not like zod wasn't punching superman through the buildings. Saving the whole world > a couple buildings I say.

Marvel really did set the bar when they came out with Avengers though. So I think people want every superhero to follow marvel's blueprint even though that movie had problems as well but can be overlooked because that kind of movie hasn't been done before. I'm just rambling right now and want to talk to someone lol.

I hope my name doesn't bother anyone either. Just my honest opinion. I'm really confused as to why people hate it.

I do wish brainiac and lex was introduced in the movie though. Was annoyed that brainiac or lex wasn't at least in an after credit scene.

Haven't seen wolverine yet. Don't really have high hopes for it though. I think fox really screwed up the x-men.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So you're a DC fanboy who hates Marvel CBMs? Interesting indeed. Just to let you know, not all Marvel films put gratuitous amount of jokes, that only happened in Iron Man 3 :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, The Wolverine was awesome, and only had small amount of dry humor.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Man of Steel is a very good film. Its just not perfect and people have the expectation of nothing less when it comes to Superman I'm finding. Its like no movie will ever be good enough.

Also comparing it to the Avengers just isn't fair. The Avengers had 5 movies before it to build it up. Of course it was going to make more money. And of course it was going to be a better film. Why?

Origin stories. Origin stories are not that great when it comes to movies. Why? Because by now many people all ready know Superman is an alien from a dying planet with superpowers. Many people know Peter Parker got bit by a spider and then developed powers. Everyone knows Bruce Wayne saw his parents die and then decides to become Batman and terrorize the criminals of Gotham who've terrorized the city.

People all ready know these things. We just want to see our favorite heroes doing what they do: being heroes. Thats why Avengers was such a great movie. It all ready got the why's, and how's out of the way and it was just 2 hours of enjoying our favorite heroes. That's why its a great movie (I still consider TDK a better movie overall though).

I'm not saying all origin stories are bad. Many are good. But its redundant story telling that people don't want to see that much and they tend to not be as successful. Look at the Nolanverse...BATMAN Begins made 375 mil...Batman! Man of Steel was a huge success in that regard.

Now is Man of Steel perfect? No. No movie is. But its damn good. Its finally a Superman movie we can be proud of in the last 30 years! I'm not going to say I loved everything about it, because I had some issue with it. But for once I'm excited about Superman and DC going forward on the big screen.

Man of Steel is a good movie.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

MoS was decent at best hate its fans and if u think Marvel is joke after joke see Captain America, Thor, any Spiderman film.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DChero

@wolverine08: yeah was trying to avoid being called that when I said hope my name doesn't bother anyone. I have an opinion no need for the name. And there were a bit too many jokes in iron man 2 and in avengers if you ask me. That's just my taste.

Didn't say I hate the marvel movies

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Anyway, I think critics just like to criticize anything with a high amount of action, and they really only wanted another Donner film.

Personally, I think MoS is the best CBM to date, and I was really looking forward to the DC Movie U built off of this movie until Superman/Batman was announced.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dchero said:

@wolverine08: yeah was trying to avoid being called that when I said hope my name doesn't bother anyone. I have an opinion no need for the name. And there were a bit too many jokes in iron man 2 and in avengers if you ask me. That's just my taste.

Didn't say I hate the marvel movies

Dude, Marvel films don't have too much humor. X - Men, X2, Spider-Man 1, Spider Man- 2, Spider-Man 3 TASM, Blade 1, Blade 2, The Wolverine, and may more. You sound biased.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is already a thread like this.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Superman/Batman was a great idea imo.

1. You reintroduce people to a new Batman quickly - which by itself may not be so easily because people love Nolanverse. Now we get Batman while enjoying more Superman.

2. You are more able to quickly compete with MCU and add more team up movies. Justice League has 7 original founding members. Warner Brothers needs to get its butt in gear if they want to compete before Avengers 3.

3. Batman is perhaps the greatest foil to Superman. Superman is a god (if you didnt pick that up in MoS you need to work on your movie watching) and Batman is basically the ultimate human. Smart, tough, rich, good looking..etc. He is perhaps the best pure-human antagonist to Superman.

4. Who doesn't want to see Batman and Superman (the two most iconic heroes ever) in 1 movie? Be honest...if you hate the idea...you will see the movie.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: makes sense. Thanks for the response.

It definitely must be extremely hard to make a superman movie. People hated superman returns. And now people hate Man of steel. Hopefully the second Man of steel movie will change people's opinions on Snyder.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dchero: Superman returns did suck pretty hard though. I mean we have Superman in a movie and all he's doing is lifting heavy stuff. Dumb.

Snyder isn't perfect. And I had some script issues with Man of Steel (mostly notably Lois/Clark's relationship was underdeveloped IMO, among other things) but it was a good start and it makes me excited for the future.

And no one can direct fantasy combat like Snyder. Dude is a genius in that regard. It was a pleasure finally watching a CBM displaying the type of comic book action I've read about growing up and watched on cartoons as a kid. Simply amazing!

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: thor is actually one of my favorites along with Incredible Hulk. Didn't really enjoy captain America too much. The Spider-Man movies were okay. Spider-Man 3 was awful to me. But I did like amazing Spider-Man.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

I loved Man of Steel. However, I don't think Marvel movies are just joke after joke. The only Marvel movie that seemed like a comedy was Iron Man 3.

I also have to disagree with the fact that Fox screwed with the X-Men. The X-Men was not bad. The first movie was good, the second movie was really good, and the third actually wasn't that bad. This is because the problems in The Last Stand can actually be fixed rather easily. My problem is X-Men: First Class. Although it was a really good movie, it had a lot of continuity issues with the X-Men trilogy. So idk how it'll be fixed in X-Men Days of Future Past. X-Men Origins Wolverine can be forgotten; it's more of a standalone. So yeah, my only issues with the X-Men movies are with continuity, which won't be a problem with The Wolverine, because it's mostly standalone.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Superman/Batman was a great idea imo.

1. You reintroduce people to a new Batman quickly - which by itself may not be so easily because people love Nolanverse. Now we get Batman while enjoying more Superman.

2. You are more able to quickly compete with MCU and add more team up movies. Justice League has 7 original founding members. Warner Brothers needs to get its butt in gear if they want to compete before Avengers 3.

3. Batman is perhaps the greatest foil to Superman. Superman is a god (if you didnt pick that up in MoS you need to work on your movie watching) and Batman is basically the ultimate human. Smart, tough, rich, good looking..etc. He is perhaps the best pure-human antagonist to Superman.

4. Who doesn't want to see Batman and Superman (the two most iconic heroes ever) in 1 movie? Be honest...if you hate the idea...you will see the movie.

I will see it if the marketting campaign convinces me my speculation (and the info Snyder and Goyer have implied) are offbase. I have a feeling though, my speculation will be proven true.

Superman should not sacrificed to sell more Batman or to create the movie universe. That wasnt a mistake Marvel made (except in Iron Man 2 which was one of the worst movies), theres no reason DC should make it.

This definitely shouldnt have replaced MoS2.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SandMan_

I only see 4 things wrong with MOS. Shaky Cam, Poor Pacing, Lack of Character Development and some parts of the script where chunky....But other than that, I enjoyed it. People criticized it because of too much destruction( Seriously, this is what would happen if 2 beings of this level fight), Superman not taking Zod out of Metropolis( Zod was controlling the battle), the killing a the end, Superman not saving people, not f*cking saving a cat from a tree and most importantly...Not being a Donner movie...Seriously? Many more that are just to trivial to mention. Oh and being too serious.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: didn't see the wolverine yet and don't much like the blade movies. I agree with you on that. Maybe I'm just thinking about the IM movies. The third Spider-Man had too much humor and was really bad to me. FF movies as well. Forgive me for sounding bias.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: but that's what I mean though. The continuity just doesn't fit together. And don't you have to include the wolverine movies? Like Emma frost being like 15 in that movie while Charles is bald and old but she's a grown woman in first class? And mystique and Charles grew up together? It just all seems confusing. I think X2 was the best one. magneto and Charles made me love first class :).

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dchero: Ya I like all Marvel movies except IR2 and Amazing Spiderman but to me nothing can top Dark Knight lol.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: aww man I liked amazing Spider-Man lol. Yeah I can honestly watch dark knight over and over again. I wonder who can play the joker now in future movies. If they were to have him.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

The Main complaints that I hear are:

1. ''OMGZ, NOO, Superman killed Zod, and we all know Superman doesn't kill!..Even though he sorta killed Zod in Superman II also

2. OMGZ, NOOOO! Superman caused collateral damage while fighting in a populated area, even though 99% of all superhero battles take place in cities!

3. Very little character development (which I can understand, hopefully we see more in the sequels)

Personally, I loved the film, flaws and all. It's an 8/10

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@dchero: AMS was booboo to me lol I hope 2 is better

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Am I the only one that has never not enjoyed a comic book movie? I liked literally every Marvel and DC film that I've seen. Maybe I don't have big expectations.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is awesome!

I think an 8 would have been a more acceptable rating by IMDb, Maybe at least a 75% by RottenTomatoes.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because is not exactly like the comics
Because is not exactly like the comics
Because is not exactly like Donner films or that weird Returns unhealthy love to that period.
Because is not exactly like Donner films or that weird Returns unhealthy love to that period.
Because people is close minded and dont matter if a movie is good or bad, they just want the same old shit and if they change thing it means it sucked for them for the fact they dont understand is a another thing.
Because people is close minded and dont matter if a movie is good or bad, they just want the same old shit and if they change thing it means it sucked for them for the fact they dont understand is a another thing.
No Caption Provided

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By patrat18

i think it's bacause of the critics whenever a critc rates a movie good or bad people tend to follow what the critic say, without waching the movie they will bash it saying well yea look on RT you'll see it sucks. so with that being said zack snyder movies are always halved by the critics after dawn of the dead, look at watchmen,300 both were great movies but some critics coulden't stand the movies, being very picky and giving it a bad review on the one or two flaws of zach's movies. in the comic superman did in fact kill zod, another reason i herd is that they had way to much action in the movie yet when superman returns came out and superman didin't throw a punch it was a big issue.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: most of the movies you named were made by fox, marvel movies dose have way to many jokes in them i relized that when culson died and he cracked a joke while dying which just takes the sad moment out of it.

ThanoStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it was directed by Michael Bay. Oh wait, it wasn't. But might as well have been with all the quick cutting action scenes where you can't really see what's going on. I get that they need to show super-speed, but they should have taken a page from the Matrix where they slowed things down to give the impression that things were happening very fast.

Didn't hate it, but it wasn't as good as the hype.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Havenless

@the_stegman:

The unabashed destruction is fun to make light of, but I didn't find it as a detractor to the movie. I did feel, however, that is was... hollow. There wasn't a lot of depth to the movie. Just sit back and think about the major plot arcs that occurred:

Krypton was gone 10 minutes into the film, Clark saves some people, has a few flashbacks, Lois tracks him down, and the Kryptonians arrive. Everybody fights, and Superman is a hero.

And there have been great movie with minimal depth, but they don't run this long. It was a 1-1.5 Hr story packed into a 2.5 Hr movie. The big CGI scenes helped a lot, of course, but think back to Dark Knight. All the little mini-plots going on. Gordon faking his death, Harvey/Rachel/Bruce love triangle, the mob, Mr. Reese, Lau, Batman impersonators, crooked cops, Harvey Dent's fall from white knight to heel... and that's all without bringing up the Joker.

Maybe what I'm complaining about was your third point, but I felt Clark was developed fine. And you don't really need to develop anyone else, it's his movie. Who develops in Batman Begins? Batman, and that's really it. But that's a fantastic movie. I think this one was just lacking in tonal changes, it built up a thematic tone on Krypton and just held it through the whole movie. It got a little tedious toward the end.

In short, I enjoyed it overall, but I don't know if it makes my top 10 CBMs.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman:

The unabashed destruction is fun to make light of, but I didn't find it as a detractor to the movie. I did feel, however, that is was... hollow. There wasn't a lot of depth to the movie. Just sit back and think about the major plot arcs that occurred:

Krypton was gone 10 minutes into the film, Clark saves some people, has a few flashbacks, Lois tracks him down, and the Kryptonians arrive. Everybody fights, and Superman is a hero.

And there have been great movie with minimal depth, but they don't run this long. It was a 1-1.5 Hr story packed into a 2.5 Hr movie. The big CGI scenes helped a lot, of course, but think back to Dark Knight. All the little mini-plots going on. Gordon faking his death, Harvey/Rachel/Bruce love triangle, the mob, Mr. Reese, Lau, Batman impersonators, crooked cops, Harvey Dent's fall from white knight to heel... and that's all without bringing up the Joker.

Maybe what I'm complaining about was your third point, but I felt Clark was developed fine. And you don't really need to develop anyone else, it's his movie. Who develops in Batman Begins? Batman, and that's really it. But that's a fantastic movie. I think this one was just lacking in tonal changes, it built up a thematic tone on Krypton and just held it through the whole movie. It got a little tedious toward the end.

In short, I enjoyed it overall, but I don't know if it makes my top 10 CBMs.

Well, to be fair, Krypton was destroyed even faster in the original Superman film, so are you saying that we should have seen more Krypton, or stating that it didn't take up that much of the film, so we should have had ample time for more plotlines? I'm assuming you mean the latter. I think it was just fine the way it was, to compare this to The Dark Knight isn't fair. The Dark Knight already had Batman Begins to set up all the important characters, Bruce, Rachel, Gordon, Alfred. So it could go straight in to the subplots without having to introduce characters. Batman Begins on the other hand had to spend quite a bit of time on developing Bruce (through flashbacks like Man of Steel) and didn't have that many intricate subplots, it did have Falcone and the corrupt cops, but for the most part, it was straight forward.

Personally, one of my major complaints in the film is pacing, I believe that could have done a better job with it, I mean Lois finding Clark wrapped up in a whole 1 minute of screen time. But for the most part I really enjoyed the film. It makes my top ten list..but barely.

1. The Dark Knight (DC)

2. Marvel's The Avengers (Marvel)

3. Watchmen (DC)

4. The Dark Knight Rises (DC)

5. Batman Begins (DC)

6. Iron Man (Marvel)

7. Man of Steel (DC)

8. A History of Violence (DC)

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (Marvel)

10. Blade (Marvel)

11. RED (DC)

12. Superman (DC)

14. Kick Ass (Marvel)

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Havenless

@the_stegman said:

1. The Dark Knight (DC)

2. Marvel's The Avengers (Marvel)

3. Watchmen (DC)

4. The Dark Knight Rises (DC)

5. Batman Begins (DC)

6. Iron Man (Marvel)

7. Man of Steel (DC)

8. A History of Violence (DC)

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (Marvel)

10. Blade (Marvel)

11. RED (DC)

12. Superman (DC)

14. Kick Ass (Marvel)

Great list! But I am really surprised you don't have my no. 1 on there:

1. Spider-Man 2

2. Dark Knight

3. Avengers

4. Thor

5. Batman Begins

6. Batman

7. Captain America: The First Avenger

8. Iron Man

9. TMNT

10. Superman: The Movie

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

@havenless: I'm not a huge fan of Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. I applaud it for re-launching the public's interest in Spider-Man and superhero films in general, but I dislike Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker/Spidey. As well as Dunst's Mary Jane.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By theTimeStreamer

it was, as i expected, a bloated with mindless action (snyder), so many speeches (nolan) and no superman. maybe that's why they didnt call it superman.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Some people hate product placement and mindless action.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people hate product placement and mindless action.

But....You liked it. :P

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@sandman_: I didn't even notice the product placement save for the IHOP scene, and I was expecting action.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigtewell

i liked it but it wasnt excellent. i think i didnt love it bc it was based off new 52 superman which i absolutely cant stand and he also killed zod which is like the one unspoken rule in comics. the story was pretty good except for some few flaws and some choppy pacing. also why would superman go destroy zods machine in the middle of nowhere b4 destroying the one in a big city? i guess its like the dark knight trilogy even tho the first one was pretty good the second one will get the praise with the villain everyone will love (luthor and batman even if hes not a villain) and the third one i will hate bc of sooo many plot holes and the fact i cant understand the villain (bc im guessing it will be doomsday since darkseid will probly be in jl and brainiac wont be used since the popular brainiac is the one from the animated series that is tooo much like ultron)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: You can't really expect to see All-Star Superman right from the get-go.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@sandman_: all-star superman was ok. not the greatest thing everybody is saying. but back to man of steel: it didnt have any real superman moment. it was all so dark and depressing. superman is light, and idk what some writers did with him 1x or 2x, he doesnt kill. he finds a better way. everybody is coming with the excuse 'well gah he learned his lesson now. he wont kill anymore. gah'. since when does superman need a reason to not kill? he is superman.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem was the way jonathan kent died, it was pretty stupid and pointless.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you're a DC fanboy who hates Marvel CBMs? Interesting indeed. Just to let you know, not all Marvel films put gratuitous amount of jokes, that only happened in Iron Man 3 :)

True, the other Marvel movies had the right amount of humor and Iron Man had the perfect amount of humor, I hope if they do a Flash movie they go Iron Man route rather than MoS route.

On topic, I didn't hate the movie but I didn't like it either, the characterization of almost all characters were bad except Faora, Jor-El and Ma Kent, the editing was bad, the story was bad, Lois' portrayal was bad, Cavil has the looks but not the presence of Superman, he never felt like Superman and I know this is before Clark becomes Superman but I didn't see the real Clark Kent either, Zod never felt like a threatening villain and Jor-El taking down Zod was lame, the action was too over the top and while there was some really cool moments some of fight scenes between these moments were somehow boring and I wasn't a big fan of Reeves movies so I never compared it those movies. I would've rather preferred a complete adaption of Birthright directed by someone other than Snyder.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

True, the other Marvel movies had the right amount of humor and Iron Man had the perfect amount of humor, I hope if they do a Flash movie they go Iron Man route rather than MoS route.

On topic, I didn't hate the movie but I didn't like it either, the characterization of almost all characters were bad except Faora, Jor-El and Ma Kent, the editing was bad, the story was bad, Lois' portrayal was bad, Cavil has the looks but not the presence of Superman, he never felt like Superman and I know this is before Clark becomes Superman but I didn't see the real Clark Kent either, Zod never felt like a threatening villain and Jor-El taking down Zod was lame, the action was too over the top and while there was some really cool moments some of fight scenes between these moments were somehow boring and I wasn't a big fan of Reeves movies so I never compared it those movies. I would've rather preferred a complete adaption of Birthright directed by someone other than Snyder.

This. All of this.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hart7668

Because these people either

a) Don't like Superman or DC Comics in general

b) Think that Superman should always be the Big Blue Boyscout in red tights saying things like "This is a job for Superman!"

c) Can't stand the fact that something could actually be as good as or better than The Dark Knight/The Avengers

or some strange combo of the above

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By FlashKnight

It's easily the best Superman movie yet, but people were expecting it to be better than TDK, which is almost impossible.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hart7668 said:

Because these people either

a) Don't like Superman or DC Comics in general

b) Think that Superman should always be the Big Blue Boyscout in red tights saying things like "This is a job for Superman!"

c) Can't stand the fact that something could actually be as good as or better than The Dark Knight/The Avengers

or some strange combo of the above

I'm not very fond of MOS, and none of my reasons match your generalizations.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By Spideysense44
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@rustyroy: The only characterization I had problems with was Jenny Olson and Perry white.

Lois was pretty good. She was shown to be a tough go-getter reporter when it comes to human situations, but is clearly a fish out of water vs the alien threats Superman faces.

Cavill was good too. I don't know what you mean by "he doesn't have the presence of Superman". And you even said you didn't like Reeves movies either. Seems to me like you might have unrealistic expectations, or that no Superman will ever be good enough. Not calling you out or anything...but I know a lot of people feel like that. Went to it comes to Superman anything but 101% perfection is not going to be good enough.

I will agree we didn't see much of classic Clark. This movie is more about a more balanced combination of Kal=El/Clark if that makes sense. And frankly the way the movie is set up. I DO NOT want to see a mild-mannered reporter disguise. It just wouldn't fit the tone. Its not 100% reflective of the comics, but no CBM is...they're allowed to make changes if they want to go a certain direction and if they think it will make a better movie. I liked it.

I thought Zod was pretty well done. Here is a guy built to protect his people. And because of that by his motivation and way of thinking he's actually thinking he's doing the right thing trying to slaughter the entire planet of earth so his people don't have to "suffer years of pain like your son did, adapting to Earth's Atmosphere". In the beginning of the movie, his coup is even right! Krypton's leader's did screw up and even Jor-El told them so. So again...Zod is willing to do any evil if it means protecting his people because he believes its the right thing to do...which makes him pretty scary IMO.

Final point. Maybe looking back on things I could agree the action was a little over the top. But you know why it doesnt bother me? Because every other CBM has toned-down action. Look at Thor for example. Dude is just as powerful or more powerful than Superman and we've barely seen it. Forgive me if I want a being that has god-like powers to be a god once and awhile. Like the final fight in Avengers. It was very diverse and flowed well so it was good action over...but honestly. Real Thor could have destroyed most of that army by himself. Obviously he can't do that because he's part of a team now...but even in his solo movie his action scenes weren't that great aside from the fight in Jotunheim in the beginning. I hope they step it up in Thor 2.

Anyways...just my opinions. I've seen Man of Steel 6 times in theaters...I probably have more viewpoints/opinions about it than most people lol. Its not the The Dark Knight or The Avengers level of movie...but its pretty damn good and for once I'm excited about a DC movie-verse going forward.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

• Lois was good but she wasn't really Lois, I never felt it was Lois in the entire movie and I'm a big Lois fan.
  • I didn't have any high expectations and I never asked for anything Tony Stark or Joker like performance, only a decent performance but Cavil didn't deliver IMO and its Superman, probably no actor can portray him perfectly but Cavil wasn't anything near Super in the role. And I never said I didn't like the Superman movies, I only watched the first one and the 4th one and I liked the first movie very much but not enough to consider it the Holy Grail of Superman movies and a standard for measuring other movies. Although I didn't hate Cavil's performance entirely, there were some moments that I loved, felt that yeah that's Superman but most of the time I didn't.
  • You're Kal-El/Clark explanation actually makes sense. Btw I wasn't talking about the reporter Clark, that would be dumb considering the movie takes place before he became a reporter, I was talking about the smallville Clark, the Clark who lived with his Ma and Pa Kent, who wasn't a social outcast even though he was a alien from outer space. And I know that many changes has to be made when making a movie but I'd like those changes to be good ones, most of changes in MoS were bad and it deviated to much from the comics.
  • I'm not saying anything about Zod's reasons or difficulties but he wasn't a good villain not even a good sympathetic villain. Faora was the only true threat in the movie.
  • Matrix was over the top too but I loved the action scenes in that, I just thought it could have been more well choreographed.
  • The biggest problem I had with the movie was the editing, pacing and the story.

Finally there were too many things that I didn't like but there were some really cool moments too, some sparks that what the movie could really have been and that's why I didn't hate the movie, it was okay, and I wanted only good, not great, my expectations were never high, maybe a little high but not too much. But then again I only saw the movie twice maybe if I see it again then I might like it, many have said that it gets better after some more viewings. Anyways its only my opinion.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy:

• Well Amy wasn't my favorite Lois either, but I think she did fine. Erica Durance is my favorite Lois and her role in Smallville was sooooo underrated IMO. No actress has portrayed her better.
  • Agree to disagree about Cavill I guess. I think he was one of the better actors in the whole movie
  • I'm ok that we skipped the whole Clark growing up. You have to be original with Origin stories because so many people know it by know. We know how Clark grows up...so instead of rewatching that we get non-linear storytelling with flashbacks that just hit on the keypoints. I thought it was one of the best things of the movie.
  • I think Faora was badass as well. Perhaps the made a mistake having her fight Superman first, as even though he had more control over his powers, he had no fighting experience so of course she wipes the floor with him. And the way Traue delivered Faora's icey cool lines just made it better. I will agree that she was very much a BAMF, but I don't think Zod was less of a threat persay. I sort of take this with a grain of salt anyway, because I always know the good guys are going to win in the end. That's just the rule. The only one who even made me think it wasn't going to be ok was Joker for a little while...but otherwise I take the "threat level" of villains with a grain of salt.
  • I loved the action. I thought the kryptonian soldiers were brutally effective and they did a good job portraying Superman as sort of a bumbling idiot when he first starts fighting (he's had zero experience). But he gets better as the fight scenes go on and is able to adapt and learn. By the time we get to Zod he is able to fight evenly with him. I like that sort of progression, but I can see it lowers your threat level of Zod.

Yeah man. I've seen it 6 times. on a 1-10 scale I give the movie about an 8.5. By comparison - Avengers to me is a 9.5 and The Dark Knight is a 10/10. The latter two being great movies (TDK being all-time great imo).

If nothing else, I think you can be excited for the future. Because even though there are script problems with MoS (I'll go over them from my perspective if you wish) overall I think the cast is very good...possibly even great. I think a different writer to replace Goyer would be nice but I'm ok with Snyder directing.