Why do people hate...

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I've seen quite a lot of hate on comicvine for some of my favourite characters and these are the reasons they give:

Jean Grey - Boring

Storm - Hate her fans

Batman - Overated

Superman - Boring & Overpowered

Wolverine - Overpowered & overated

Is it really fair to hate Jean and Sups for being boring? I mean there are a lot of other boring characters out there, captain america, wonder woman & mr fantastic to name 3.

Batman I understand to a certain point. He is at the end of the day only a brilliant human. He can't beat people like Galactus or Phoenix with prep.

Wolverine, I never thought he was overpowered, he only has a powerful healing factor. Several heroes can easily beat him, even if they don't kill him. He is somewhat overated not for being a bad character at all (one of the all timr best), but for being thd "face" of the x-men

Finally Storm shouldn't be hated because people hate her fans. I don't like Hulk fans for example or Batman fans but I really like Batman and enjoy Hulk.

What do you think? Do you think people are right to hate these characters even after the points I made?

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By OrdinaryAlan

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. For every annoying hater you can find an equally annoying fanboy.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people don't actually hate these characters. They're just not their favourites.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Used to hate Superman then watched Man of Steel, Smallville and read a few comics. he isn't all bad just don't like his powerset. Too many.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

I can't speak for most of these, however, you have to understand the root of Storm hate: the were a very, very long trend of battles, where Storm was overrated to an astounding degree. Things like the "galactic core feat" were tossed around to justify her being compared to the likes of Heralds of Galactus (... and sometimes Galactus himself >_>). Specifically, debating veterans have bad memories, and as such, have grown to dislike Storm. It's getting better, but that's why. It came from having Storm shoved down one's throat, and having to sift through multiple pages of hyperbolic scans.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

LOL, I think it's because its a lot easier to point out everything wrong with a character, than point out everything good about them. Superman is OP though, they should somehow find a way to get a surplus of kryptonite, so he can be weakened a lot more easily.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't hate anyone on that list, Now, Emma Frost and Namor on the other hand.....

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Because fanboys r never happy and hate anything

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL, I think it's because its a lot easier to point out everything wrong with a character, than point out everything good about them. Superman is OP though, they should somehow find a way to get a surplus of kryptonite, so he can be weakened a lot more easily.

They've done that to death. The writers need to be more creative than that.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

@alfacess:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but whenever I hear something like: "Superman doesn't kill people!".

I would tell them to look up: "The Death of Superman".

But there are fans that don't hate these characters it's just that they don't care about them.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: It's true. Which is odd, since it's regarding fandom for such noble and selfless characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@alfacess said:

Is it really fair to hate Jean and Sups for being boring? I mean there are a lot of other boring characters out there, captain america, wonder woman & mr fantastic to name 3.

Yes, it is 100% fair to hate a character because you think they're boring. The existence of other boring characters does not make a character less boring.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: So that means you hate every boring character out there?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@alfacess said:

@squares: So that means you hate every boring character out there?

That's a ridiculous question, I obviously don't know every boring character out there. Where are you going with this, anyways?

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alfacess

@squares: Pretty clear. You said it's fair to hate boring characters and the existence of other boring characters doesn't make them more interesting. My point is it's unfair to hate Superman for being "boring" but like another boring character. However, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is the best X-Men so I don't see him as overrated at all.

@jedixman said:

I can't speak for most of these, however, you have to understand the root of Storm hate: the were a very, very long trend of battles, where Storm was overrated to an astounding degree. Things like the "galactic core feat" were tossed around to justify her being compared to the likes of Heralds of Galactus (... and sometimes Galactus himself >_>). Specifically, debating veterans have bad memories, and as such, have grown to dislike Storm. It's getting better, but that's why. It came from having Storm shoved down one's throat, and having to sift through multiple pages of hyperbolic scans.

Inb4 Rbysjti lol

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alfacess said:

@squares: Pretty clear. You said it's fair to hate boring characters and the existence of other boring characters doesn't make them more interesting. My point is it's unfair to hate Superman for being "boring" but like another boring character. However, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Well what makes a character boring is completely subjective. I like Superman, I don't think he's boring. But if I did think he was boring I wouldn't like him. You see no one is going to like a boring character because in that person's mind that character isn't boring. So if I like a character that you think is boring but don't like another character you think is boring then that's my own personal opinion. So don't get mad if people like or don't like characters you think are boring or not.

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because someone is not a fan of Storm doesn't mean they hate her. They just not a HUGE fanboys or girls. And why if someone doesn't like Storm it's consider a hater? Just because you like or love a character doesn't mean other people should. This is what I hate about most people nowadays. I'm not a huge fan of Storm, but that don't mean I hate her. It just happen that I like other characters better. Clear?

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alfacess

@mchotcakes: No worries, Im not getting mad at all. This was just on my mind and I was hoping to get some answers from people that might hate these characters for different reasons.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alfacess

@purepleazure4u: First of all, I said why do people hate, not why people dislike these characters. Second, I never said people who dislike storm are haters. And yeah people don't have to like the characters I do, that is true and my point. You can dislike a character, but in my opinion hating them for being "boring", "overpowered" or "overated" is in my opinion a little much. Clear?

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alfacess said:

@purepleazure4u: First of all, I said why do people hate, not why people dislike these characters. Second, I never said people who dislike storm are haters. And yeah people don't have to like the characters I do, that is true and my point. You can dislike a character, but in my opinion hating them for being "boring", "overpowered" or "overated" is in my opinion a little much. Clear?

Not really. Because I was specifically talking about Storm where you put "Storm - Hate her fans" I assuming since the word hate is clearly there. And I went by this

"I've seen quite a lot of hate on comicvine for some of my favourite characters and these are the reasons they give:

Finally Storm shouldn't be hated because people hate her fans. I don't like Hulk fans for example or Batman fans but I really like Batman and enjoy Hulk.

What do you think? Do you think people are right to hate these characters even after the points I made?"

And that's my point. I don't think everyone "hate her fans" or what ever you mean. I like Storm and many others, but just because I vote for Emma or Jean (as an example) and not Storm... it doesn't mean I hate her. Again, I just happen to like one more than the other. I only wanted to make it clear before someone else jump in and say "Storm has many haters"

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for omniawesomeness
OmniAwesomeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opinions

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Points!! ummmm okay. You gave opinions see how this works.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fabulosity

Honestly, I don't think Jean was boring.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Captain America aint boring you skank.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By amazing_webhead

Nobody who calls Superman overpowered has ever read an actual Superman comic. He has dozens of enemies who can match him punch for punch.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By alfacess

@fabulosity: Same here. But a lot of people do.

@AmazingWebHead: Thats very true.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alfacess

@symbioticspider-man: First of all, if you think saying Captain America is boring makes you a skank, please consult a dictionary and second he is at times, but I do really like him :)

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alfacess said:

@fabulosity: Same here. But a lot of people do.

@AmazingWebHead: Thats very true.

I guess that's their lost lol. No matter what, she's still fabulous to us.

alfacess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Captain America aint boring you skank.

Eh, It really depends on who's writing. Which, I'm sure, is hard with characters like him and Superman who have a very strong moral compass. They can come off on-dimensional if the writer isn't careful.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Interesting.