#1 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely this rating inflation seems way too high for the majority of titles on today's market?

Week after week titles that are just straight down poor are given these scores.

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6237 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Maybe it's difficult to give a proper score when you're limited to 5. Like, a 4/5, could really be the equivalent of 7/10, but they had to round up.

#3 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6237 posts) - - Show Bio

@john_valentine: Maybe it's difficult to give a proper score when you're limited to 5. Like, a 4/5, could really be the equivalent of 7/10, but they had to round up.

#4 Posted by Akindoodle (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

The staff give a fair amount of 3s too. I've even seen a 2 star review before

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Like every issue of the big two's major series is given either a 4 or a 5 stars.

#6 Posted by Xwraith (16900 posts) - - Show Bio

I've actually seen a 1-star review once.

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7711 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle said:

Like every issue of the big two's major series is given either a 4 or a 5 stars.

Might be like Gamestop, they HAVE to give mainstream comics high scores. lol..

#8 Posted by Fenderxx (392 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the stars, are more of a quick refrence for people looking at the site, for Eample 1 = hated 2 = didnt like 3 = it was okay 4= enjoyed 5= loved. I also think that the reviews buy their own comics, so they are going to review high profile events, titles, and books that they enjoy and promote good books as oppose to just bashing bad ones... just my thoughts tho

If you want a review, it is posted below with pros and cons, and more thought out review, Ratings are subjective and way to much importance is placed on them.

#9 Edited by Skyfire (725 posts) - - Show Bio

You should read the review rather than just looking at the score. They point out flaws, but often they're not enough to knock an entire star of the issue.

#10 Edited by The Stegman (23813 posts) - - Show Bio

The staff usually review books that they enjoy, thus since they are enjoying them they give higher ratings, however it's not completely bias, I've seen my fair share of two and threes.

#11 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep in mind that 5 stars doesn't mean it's one of the greatest comics ever written. It just means that the reviewer recommends the book without reserve in spite of any flaws it might have.

3 stars, I think, is kinda the "only read it if you're following the character/comic".

1 and 2 stars means it's poor to unreadable. And despite comic fans' frequent nerd-rage, unreadable comics are extremely rare. The big two get a lot of 4 and 5 reviews because for one, there's simply more of them; and two, they can afford to hire writers that turn out good or at least competent comics.

#12 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say that there are legitimately less one or two star-worthy comics. I hope that it would be hard to turn out that kind of crummy work on a regular basis.

Also, the staff mostly reviews popular and highly-rated comics, and that's reflected in their ratings.

#13 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I read the reviews after reading the comic..

I'm that weird.

#14 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#15 Edited by TDK_1997 (14660 posts) - - Show Bio

The staff most of the times review books and issues that they enjoy and that's why they are giving high ratings.But sometimes they just give a star more for the hard of the creators or something like that maybe.

#16 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep in mind that 5 stars doesn't mean it's one of the greatest comics ever written. It just means that the reviewer recommends the book without reserve in spite of any flaws it might have.

3 stars, I think, is kinda the "only read it if you're following the character/comic".

1 and 2 stars means it's poor to unreadable. And despite comic fans' frequent nerd-rage, unreadable comics are extremely rare. The big two get a lot of 4 and 5 reviews because for one, there's simply more of them; and two, they can afford to hire writers that turn out good or at least competent comics.

TheCowMan got it right, listen to him. Plus if you want a negative review read the reviews they have on Red Lanterns...Brutal.

#17 Edited by k4tzm4n (39496 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at PC but someone should just post a link to my blog...

Staff
#18 Posted by Saren (25580 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely this rating inflation seems way too high for the majority of titles on today's market?

Week after week titles that are just straight down poor are given these scores.

Comic Vine Reviews Discussion

#19 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

They misunderstand the point of being paid to review, that's all.

If they weren't being paid, it's fine to only review what one likes, but they are, so it isn't.

#20 Posted by SC (12914 posts) - - Show Bio

Its because the staff at CV are richer than your average comic book fan and have shared comic book resources and it depends on why and how a person views and understand reviews. Its a type of elitism you see, because rather than have reviews which help their fans decide what to buy since most of CV can only afford a few comics, staff reviewers just review what they like or think they will like or will probably have reader interest (coincidentally the books that companies try to make extra likable) which leads to review system based around I really liked it and I really loved it rather than if you can only buy a few books this week CV users you should buy this one and this one, since 50 books came out this week and we can empathize with the idea you only want to read the good stuff. This exists alongside the "but reviews are just opinions" philosophy, instead of the reviews can be intended objective appraisals of products designed to compete and exist alongside each other with personal subjective perspectives either noted and set to the side or included by clearly labeled as such during the review, included alongside a more honest and critical analysis and rating. Which can be funny when you see high reviews that are rated high based on subjective enjoyment and issues rated low, because they didn't fit the subjective perspectives of a reviewers personal frames set out for characters despite the issue or story meeting typical objective standards for good stories or issues.

Nah I am just joking they get paid.

Nah just joking again, wouldn't want to hung drawn and quartered its probably more to do society and establishment, preconceived notions especially regarding numbers, objectivity, simplification, categorization, complacency, and attempting to sell and simplify the website and reviews by virtue of its format, interface and attempted user friendliness.

Nah I am just joking around yet again, I am a funny guy aren't I? **awkward silence** Its because Marvel and DC comics are just that damned good. Somebody call your momma, shucky ducky quack quack its a beautiful time to be a comic book fan. Time to go read Age of Ultron and Red Lanterns.