Why do Marvel fans and DC fans argue so much?

• 70 results
lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By lightsout

<p>Because some DC fanboys are douchebags who think they're better than they are because their heroes are more "iconic", when both companies are more similar than they're given credit for.

One could say fans of the companies are more similar than people think too.....

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@lightsout. You're right but the DC fanboys go way too far sometimes. I love both and spend my hard earned $$

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout. You're right but the DC fanboys go way too far sometimes. I love both and spend my hard earned $$

That's a very subjective anecdote. (I haven't even been here long and I could say (based on observations here) that Marvel's Storm or Thor fanboys are "the worst"). You should never judge an entire group based on your experience with a select few (that's how bigots are born, in areas more important than comics). If you tally up every "bad" (rude/trouble-causing, etc) post --- here on CV or the entire internet -- I would have to imagine that it would be even (just based on a large sample-size, and because jerk-ness & favorite-company are not mutually exclusive. Whether or not someone is a jerk is determined far before you find which comic company you like better)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Why is it when ever I tell people I am a avid comic book read I get the same question, "do you like Mavel or DC?" I like them both the same and when I say that I've sometimes heard "oh come on you gotta pick a side" is the fan rivalry that bad or is it just the people I know?

Honestly, I don't really hate it, I understand it. Humans are naturally competative, that's why sports are so popular, people like to pick a side, and root for them, so naturally anyone opposing that side is their enemy. Whenever someone says "why can't I like both?" it's like asking, "Why can't you like both the Yankees and the Red Sox?'' sure a lover of baseball in general could like them both, but more likely than not, you're gonna encounter someone who likes one more than the other.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Chevy & Ford

Pepsi & Coke

Books & Movies

Rock & Rap

People just gravitate toward one thing over another. The fighting probably starts off as playful ribbing and escalates.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightout #53 Posted by lightsout (652 posts) - 2 hours, 10 minutes ago - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon said:

That's a very subjective anecdote. (I haven't even been here long and I could say (based on observations here) that Marvel's Storm or Thor fanboys are "the worst"). You should never judge an entire group based on your experience with a select few (that's how bigots are born, in areas more important than comics). If you tally up every "bad" (rude/trouble-causing, etc) post --- here on CV or the entire internet -- I would have to imagine that it would be even (just based on a large sample-size, and because jerk-ness & favorite-company are not mutually exclusive. Whether or not someone is a jerk is determined far before you find which comic company you like better)

I'll see your Thor and Storm fanboys ( who are supremely annoying) and raise you Bat fanboys. Game over.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll see your Thor and Storm fanboys ( who are supremely annoying) and raise you Bat fanboys. Game over.

It was just a random example (and that sort of proves my point - it's who you'veencountered/been-annoyed by). There's not really an argument over the subjective nature of your original statement (that one company's fans are "worse" than the other). It's an opinion & not based on objective facts. That's all I was getting at. Someone out there could feel the complete opposite, that Marvel fanboys are "clearly worse" - based on the statements they've read and their own opinion.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Because <insert company here> does <insert attribute here> better than <insert company here>

The truth is people love to argue

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightout #53 Posted by lightsout (652 posts) - 2 hours, 10 minutes ago - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon said:

LOL! Oh batman fanboys. No one beats prepman fanboys.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By novi_homines

I don't really care for sides. Even though I tend to lean more towards Marvel because of their more realistic /relatable characters (Hawkeye, deadpool, spiderman, daredevil, xmen etc.), I always still respect alot of what DC does. I do have 2 problems with dc. One is batman/ nolanite fanboys, which have become a deadly duo to be reckoned with. Second is how they're WAY too top heavy. I've tried multiple times to get into DC comics only to be bombarded with either Justice League, Batman, or Lantern Universe stuff. Which don't really pique my interest. I have been REALLY liking the new Green Arrow since Lemire took over, more than Hawkeye in fact. So hopefully he can be the guy to get me back into the DC universe.

pxrxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they argue mostly over bragging rights. I prefer DC because I grew up with everything DC around me. A possible way to prevent the comic war from going too far is a company merge so we can view more of this ;

No Caption Provided

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Because they're all idiots.

Avatar image for himynameishoodie
Himynameishoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Himynameishoodie

@innervenom123 good point

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MandoViking

I used to get into the whole 'DC is to overpowered, and Marvel is awesome' but I recently started getting more into comics and have come to realize that they both have their 'overpowered' guys, and I really like some of the DC guys too. That being said, I still gravitate more towards Marvel, just because that's what I'm used to, but I've been getting some Hellboy books from the library, and he has become one of my favorite characters.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they put brand loyalty above quality and advancing the medium.

There are great comics in ALL genres (not just capes and tights) to be found at various companies.

It's time to knock off the adolescent brand partisanship (unless you're a teenager, then I'm giving you a pass...for now) and celebrate that we ALL like comics, and be an advocate for the medium. If you want people to think comics are a legitimate form of entertainment, don't act like a nut. Enjoy them like a TV show or book or game. They're just a different way of telling a story.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 the_stegman  Moderator

@crash_recovery:

You just got a follow for two reasons

1. Your post made me nod in approval

2. Your Killjoy avatar also made me nod in approval.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too much time on their hands. But seriously, most people outside of CV or other comic sites don't care and on the macro level, Marvel and DC look more similar than different to non-superhero fans.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By lilben42

Its human nature. One has to be better than the other. I used to be a DC/Marvel guy but now I lean toward DC.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Eternal19

I prefer DC but Marvel has some cool characters like Spider-man, Hulk, and Captain America