Why do Marvel fans and DC fans argue so much?

• 70 results
Avatar image for himynameishoodie
Himynameishoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why is it when ever I tell people I am a avid comic book read I get the same question, "do you like Mavel or DC?" I like them both the same and when I say that I've sometimes heard "oh come on you gotta pick a side" is the fan rivalry that bad or is it just the people I know?

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

From what I've seen people who actually read comics don't care much. Read what you like. People who don't read comics and use a wiki as their source of knowledge tend to argue over that though.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lightsout

I would say, maybe you don't to have a strong preference either way, but perhaps at any current-time (of what kind of product is being written) you find yourself reading more one than another (just because it might take some effort to give the exact same amount of time/devotion to each). I like both a lot, but tend to always fall with DC if only because more "experience" there.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't seen much heated debate. Sometimes people are a$$holes though about it and it can start some micro feuds no one really gives a sh!t about.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By charlieboy

You haven't picked a side????? Gasp!!!!!

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Superman beats Thor with both hands tied behind his back.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCowman

Same reason Playstation and X-Box owners do?

Charetter115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Charetter115

Because they are so different; DC has the classic, well known, stereotyped heroes, whereas Marvel has lesser known, less classic heroes. Most people prefer one to another.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

the people who try to force you to pick a side are generally newbies, fanboys, or both. pay no heed for they know not how stupid they are.

live your life, enjoy whichever you enjoy.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lightsout

@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@thecowman: Marvel = Playstation DC = Xbox

Oh no! I'm so torn!

Let me guess you like DC but you have a PS3

Almost! haha. Well, I'll give it to you b/c I have a PS2 (the next-gen wave was way too expensive for me to keep up)

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@ultrastarkiller said:

@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

Oh no! I'm so torn!

Almost! haha. Well, I'll give it to you b/c I have a PS2 (the next-gen wave was way too expensive for me to keep up)

So I'm guessing you're not gonna get the PS4 it's gonna be awesome but not as great as the 720.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnightRise

Fans don't argue. Fanboys do.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By judasnixon

I never understood this argument..... A good comic is a good comic, who cares where it comes from.......

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lightsout

@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

Oh no! I'm so torn!

So I'm guessing you're not gonna get the PS4 it's gonna be awesome but not as great as the 720.

You'd guess correctly. I wasn't playing my PS2 enough to warrant an upgrade (hell, someone could give me a PS3 and I'd probably rarely play it. Unless I'm playing with a friend (which is rare), my attention really doesn't let me focus on 1 thing for long anymore. I prefer to be watching TV while going back & forth between multiple things on my computer, etc etc).

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

I feel that most fans have a strong connection with the "universe" that they read while younger. For example, I enjoyed Teen Titans and Blue Devil at a young age, but the comics I really loved were X-Men, Wolverine, X-Factor, Iron Man, and Ghost Rider. So I tend to be a Marvel guy. Even though I was hating on Marvel pretty hard last year during AVX.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:
@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

@lightsout said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

Oh no! I'm so torn!

You'd guess correctly. I wasn't playing my PS2 enough to warrant an upgrade (hell, someone could give me a PS3 and I'd probably rarely play it. Unless I'm playing with a friend (which is rare), my attention really doesn't let me focus on 1 thing for long anymore. I prefer to be watching TV while going back & forth between multiple things on my computer, etc etc).

Ya I see what your saying I'm in highschool and I don't have a girlfriend so I need video games in my life. For these past months though I barely play my X box cause no good new games have been coming out( I don't like Halo 4, I hate COD, and GoW Judgement was ehh). I mostly just sit around on comicvine, mourning the old Halo series(I was a huge fan) and doing stuff I shouldn't on the Internet. But as soon as Injustice comes out I will never leave my X box for at least three months.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evilvegeta74

We hate each other! Also because marvel doesn't take the time to hype up it's characters every couple of months. Case and point, Wonder Woman is now the daughter of Zeus making her a god, Thor or the Hulk are not going to the gym to bench press numbers for fanboyism or bragging rights. Marvel just doesn't do that.There's also the Superman copy theory, there's Martian Manhunter, Shazam , Majestic, Icon, and several others. Marvel, had like Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, Blue Marvel, is it not weird that these guys are looked at as carbon copies of Superman, and complained about.Yet you never here about the Dc characters complained about, but Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, Blue Marvel, but people complain about these guys being Superman copies all the time. Batman hype is crazy.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I see what your saying I'm in highschool and I don't have a girlfriend so I need video games in my life. For these past months though I barely play my X box cause no good new games have been coming out( I don't like Halo 4, I hate COD, and GoW Judgement was ehh). I mostly just sit around on comicvine, mourning the old Halo series(I was a huge fan) and doing stuff I shouldn't on the Internet. But as soon as Injustice comes out I will never leave my X box for at least three months.

Ah, I wish that was my excuse for 'foolin around' (at least the GF part, haha...(although the girl I have my eye on does like video games, lol. She actually has my composite cable (PS2) at the moment)). I'm a recent college grad & still at home, but we're poor so I'd never think of asking for a PS3 as a gift, lol. (also - insert PS-fanboy comment about "no surprise, Xbox doesn't have many good games" :D)

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@evilvegeta74 said:

We hate each other! Also because marvel doesn't take the time to hype up it's characters every couple of months. Case and point, Wonder Woman is now the daughter of Zeus making her a god, Thor or the Hulk are not going to the gym to bench press numbers for fanboyism or bragging rights. Marvel just doesn't do that.There's also the Superman copy theory, there's Martian Manhunter, Shazam , Majestic, Icon, and several others. Marvel, had like Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, Blue Marvel, is it not weird that these guys are looked at as carbon copies of Superman, and complained about.Yet you never here about the Dc characters complained about, but Gladiator, Hyperion, Sentry, Blue Marvel, but people complain about these guys being Superman copies all the time. Batman hype is crazy.

Boy, i am soooo glad we have such a... sensible and reasonable opinion in this thread. Truly this kind of perspective will help the industry as a whole

Nothing wrong with this paragraph here, no sir

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

Ah, I wish that was my excuse for 'foolin around' (at least the GF part, haha...(although the girl I have my eye on does like video games, lol. She actually has my composite cable (PS2) at the moment)). I'm a recent college grad & still at home, but we're poor so I'd never think of asking for a PS3 as a gift, lol. (also - insert PS-fanboy comment about "no surprise, Xbox doesn't have many good games" :D)

Go to ebay and price some Ps3's, perhaps you may get a deal, I did , and life will not remain that bad for you, things will work out.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xtremekidx

DC AND PS3......All Day B*****!!!

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@lightsout: O no X box has way better games than Ps3 lol you brought the wrath. Xbox has Halo, Gears, and Darksiders the only good games you guys have is Infamous. And we don't claim Halo 4 it got Call of Dutyfied which is mainly a PS3 game though it's on both. But ya Halo = Dark Knight Returns, Halo 2 = All Star Superman, Halo 3= Grant Morrison's Batman and Son(Arby and the Chief), Halo ODST=Knight Fall, Halo Wars =Batman of Earth One, Halo Reach = Wonder Woman Gods and Mortals, and Halo 4 = All Star Batman and Robin.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to ebay and price some Ps3's, perhaps you may get a deal, I did , and life will not remain that bad for you, things will work out.

That's probably a good method but like I said I don't really have that big of an interest in video-games anymore. It's mostly DVR'd tv shows & surfing the internet (and occasionally reading when I can actually buckle down & focus, lol) --- although if things work out with said-girl I'd gladly cut back on those things, haha.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: O no X box has way better games than Ps3 lol you brought the wrath. Xbox has Halo, Gears, and Darksiders the only good games you guys have is Infamous. And we don't claim Halo 4 it got Call of Dutyfied which is mainly a PS3 game though it's on both. But ya Halo = Dark Knight Returns, Halo 2 = All Star Superman, Halo 3= Grant Morrison's Batman and Son(Arby and the Chief), Halo ODST=Knight Fall, Halo Wars =Batman of Earth One, Halo Reach = Wonder Woman Gods and Mortals, and Halo 4 = All Star Batman and Robin.

haha (oh have I now? :p) - to each their own I guess. I've never been a fan of Halo or any shooter games really. I was more of a fighter/platformer/"action" game guy (when I paid closer attention (to the gaming world) the sony-exclusive titles always had more appeal to me than the microsoft or nintendo ones).

I also apologize to the OP for throwing this so far off topic :D

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@lightsout: Ya sometimes I get jealous of PS3 games but that's only when I see Infamous. And we got super off topic.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Competition increases sales

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're evil.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lightsout

@ultrastarkiller: I think the OP got a good answer already. We're in the clear (if not, I say blame Cowman)

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there is a definite rivalry. I hear insults like, "DC fanboy" or "Marvel fanboy". Many on these forums read both Marvel and DC as do I. DC was the leader for sometime in grinding out superhero comics....until Marvel showed up and took away the popularity torch from Superman and handed it over to Spider-Man in the '70s. Some do prefer DC over Marvel (or vice versa). So it's only logical there is going to be rivalry. It's unfortunate that it devolves into trolling, name calling, insults and folks even taking scans out of context to win a battle forums discussion.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) The universes are so polarizing. They are incredibly different, but similar enough for comparison, so some people find it impossible like both simultaneously/ equally.

2) The big 2 keep the hype up about their rivalry, even though if you think about it, the creators are basically the same people switching back and forth.

3) One side is clearly the underdog, which makes fans of it feel more defensive.

4) Like in sports, many people are naturally drawn to a specific "team" and take ownership of it, which means they also become very "anti" their teams competition.

5) The most iconic heroes have a very real, dedicated following, and will butt heads over the varying opinions about their character.

6) It very well may just be a given time period for some. New 52 for example, alienated a lot of people, so those who were upset were more likely to be negative and bash DC.

Id say its not wrong to be competitive or to like and accept both. Both groups are just people, who happen to respond to things differently. If somebody wants to get into it with you for liking both companies equally just tell them your position, and admit that their view is equally valid, and be on your way.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJ62

I don't know why, I enjoy a ton of comics from both companies. I suppose if someone FORCED me to choose a side, I'd have to go Marvel...but then I'd have to give up Superman. arggg!!

But the thing is IMO, people feel the need to compete. I mean look at these: Pepsi/Coke, Star Wars/Star Trek, McDonald/Burger King...and Marvel/DC.

People feel like they have to choose a side when in reality these are more or less the same...different in ways, but still great.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess another thing is the types of fans...on one side you've got the MCU/Marvel fanboys who constantly whine about how DC is lame because the characters are overpowered. (which actually is quite stupid, because there are at least three or four Superman clones in Marvel which are equal or at least close to him in power level...not to mention Thor, Dr. Strange and oh yeah a guy with unlimited strength, don't even get me started on Silver Surfer, sounds pretty over powered to me, just saying')

And on the other side you have the DC snobs, the ones who think DC came first therefore it is better. That's like saying you think Little Richard > Rolling Stones simply because Little Richard was the first rock artists. These guys are always talking about how "childish" Marvel is, yeah go read Captain Marvel/Shazam and then tell me DC isn't childish. (btw, I don't see why childish is a bad thing)

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care either way I'm a DC guy but I read other companies like Darkhorse,TopCow and etc over Marvel. I only care about reading good stories.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Because they're stuck in the 60s.

AustinHasten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#39  Edited By Fenderxx

Our Culture always has liked to place things in order and rank it ... Im not sure why, but we do Reviews and ratings for everything, It causes a healthy competition in our society, you see the same thing with Xbox and play-station ... Star wars v Star-trek It can be fun to debate whose doing better or has stronger characters or better story telling, as long as it doesn't go overboard.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has ripped more from DC than vice versa. I love both comic publishers, but I don't read Marvel, only DC. When a Marvel movie comes out, I feel more than happy to watch it or read a synopsis on what happened lately.

Batman rip offs in Marvel - Black Panther, Moon Knight,

Robin - Bucky

Red Hood - Winter Soldier (Winter Soldier came first, so DC ripped that time)

Superman - Sentry, Gladiator, Hyperion, Blue Marvel

The list goes on and on, but I agree with you. DC does hype them up, it is a comic universe and they can do anything not humanly possible (for us), so why not do it?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fans don't argue. Fanboys do.

Fans discuss. Fanboys argue.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@batman242: Funny you say that. I was talking to a girl and she started talking about how she liked comics. She started talking about how she liked Marvel better and a lot because of Deadpool. So I told her that if it wasn't for DC there would be no Deadpool since he's a rip off. Then she stopped talking to me lmao! Why the hatred?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

If DC fans and Marvel fans argue a lot, that just shows they are stupid fanboys.

Enjoy both of them, people. They both have great characters and stories.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't know about everywhere else but on CV they argue because here we'll argue about anything. Toothpaste, cats vs. dogs, rappers, comedians, politics, poke'mon...doesn't matter. Hell, we'd even argue about arguing.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#45  Edited By BlueLantern1995

They argue because they are so loyal that they cannot accept anything or anyone else. A lot of people focus on actors for the movie and hence hate when the actor/actress is replaced(hence why Amazing Spider-Man and other reboots are trashed by some). I personally only care about the quality of the product and because of this I side with both equally. And that equality is 2nd to Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(both of which ironically are either destroyed[Transformers] or in danger under Bay[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles]).

Back to topic, I tend to like DC more for its villains than for its heroes and Marvel for its heroes and less about their villains.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

I like them both for different reasons.

Grew up with both.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

They're all mad.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#48  Edited By Lvenger

I have a preference for DC but I like both DC and Marvel very much. Both have great characters and great stories. Besides this is CV we're talking about. We argue about everything on here.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@himynameishoodie:

I like both almost equally now...

I got sucked into the thinking early on of having to pick a side, and I know now that it kept me from reading some really great DC stories. Thankfully, I was able to get out of that recently, and just enjoy a good comicbook, no matter where it came from.

My advice is: Don't let people get to you. Just appreciate a comic for what it is, not where it comes from.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

<p>Because some DC fanboys are douchebags who think they're better than they are because their heroes are more "iconic", when both companies are more similar than they're given credit for.