Why do DBZ games suck?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DBZ and its games (most of them), heck, BT3 is my favorite fighting game of all time. But since then, all of the of the games onward.........have sucked. Hard. Ultimate Tenkaichi must be the worst fighter i've ever played. Sure the RB series good, but it's lacking big time. Why is this? Do you agree? Or do you like the newer DBZ games? Comment below......please.

P.S i've been watching CV for years, but i just

recently made this account. So in a strange way, i kinda know most of you. Sorta. Anyway, intro is out of the way (Glad thats over).

Beata

Easternwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Easternwind

Some of the combat elements as they moved into more 3d movement at first it was great b 123 bt 123 etc but it started to go downhill

Theres ome new one thats good its called burst or something.

sorry for spelling and stuff on phone

Dynamo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean most of 'em? Some are okay, but if you're talking about the technical aspects of video gameing such as combat, level design, presentation and any other game jargon then you sir are correct. Like most anime-based video games they hardly play out well but since it is a franchise (a big one at that) they do it to satisfy the fan base; satisfy in terms of money of course.

If it gots a recognizable name and looks flashy with all that fan service (excluding panty shots) stuff down to the last detail. . .it's bound to be a seller. It's more style over substance.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@easternwind: Do you mean Burst Limit? Yeah that was okay. But the games that followed were horrendous! And i don't mind the spelling :D

Beata.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zaied

They're trying different ways to spice up the gameplay, and quite simply, none of them work.

The Budokai games including Burst Limit are far superior to anything that's been released recently. Perhaps they should go back to keeping it simple since that's where DBZ games excelled.

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i never liked any dbz game in general, they are not real fighting games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, even Dead or Alive would be better hahaha

IMO the problem is that the gameplay is not really... fun

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noone301994
No Caption Provided

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DBVSE7

Because you can be the weakest character and beat the most powerful ones easily .. And it doesn't take skill to be good at their games.. I mastered those damn games

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlackWind

Because they are all mostly the same with new added characters and spiced up graphics. It basically just retells the story in game format.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wolfrazer  Online

@dbvse7 said:

Because you can be the weakest character and beat the most powerful ones easily .. And it doesn't take skill to be good at their games.. I mastered those damn games

This matters.....why? It's a fighting game.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burst limit was a great game. Really enjoyed it. Rest not so much.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I honest love all of the ones I played aside of budokai tenkaichi which was utter shit.

keithcolby1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BT3 was the only fun one to me. Kid buu was the best there ever was haha

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DBVSE7

@wolfrazer: . . It actually does matter when it comes to why it sucks.. and most fighting games in general.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Transformers1024

Because DragonBall sucks as a whole franchise: not just the games.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Judging by the comments, some people didn't even read the OP. This is a discussion on the current status of dbz games. Not a bag on Dbz thread. I shouldn't have had to say this. But thanks to the people who actually read the op and gave good answers.

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spidey_Jackson
Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because DBZ sucks? Lol jk

I suspect it has to do with the fact that no studio is willing to invest a proper budget into a genre and franchise with limited mass appeal. As a game dev, you are not going to put the effort into making a AAA DBZ fighter knowing that sales will, at most, only recoup the marketing costs.

That and DBZ fans tend to be real uppity on Characters and in-cannon feats being in the games. "Why is XYZ character not doing his trademark ABC move?" with suitable foul language.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: Does Mvc series suck? Does the SSB series suck? By your logic they do!

Beata....

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of them were great

RIKR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually enjoy playing dragon ball z tenkaichi 3

RedBerserk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with DBZ games is that usually they don't do justice to the manga, the appeal of the battles in DBZ is the speed of the action, how the power of the fighters affect the planet, the massive damage to the landscape caused by their techniques etc. the games just don't cut it, it simply looks weak, the techniques are just flashy lights that lower your health bar, the space is very limited with invisible walls, the transformations (when included) are slow and with a weird zoom on the character, why not making them instant like the manga?... it's a bit like the critic toward the force unleashed series, it was like fighting with a neon baseball bat, not a lightsaber.

1. i would like instant transformations (you press a button, the camera don't change angle or anything, the character just transform).

2. a button for quick punches and kicks and one for heavy strikes (like in the manga, sometimes they fight so fast throwing a lot of little blows and then heavy strikes) with adequate sound effects (i want to hear a BOOM like sound effect not something out an old martial art movie).

3. a system for fast movement, in TB3 when the character "teleport" toward the enemy, the camera stays still and you see your character flying, i want the camera to stay with the character and seeing him disappear and reappear behind the enemy like in the anime.

4. techniques like the Kamehameha need to be destructive, i want to see them tear apart the background if they get knocked aside by your character or the cpu, i want them to explode and make loud noises when the character block them etc.

5. when a character is powering up (be it for a transformation or just use a technique) i want the world to shake depending on their strength (like the ssj3 Goku scene in the manga).

Hope it makes sense, English is not my first language.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: SSB is completely different. MvC are classics. I said most not ALL.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Raging Blast 1 was the last good one imo.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because DBZ sucks.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ScouterV

@dbvse7 said:

Say that while playing as Videl vs. Kid Buu in Raging Blast 2.

I don't even know why she's in the game. Her Super Attacks are weak, she loses her entire Ki gauge on the simplest of actions, etc.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why people even play the games. It's the same sh!t every single game nothing ever really changes much about it, the story especially doesn't change at all.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@dbvse7: Oh! I get it. It's a double standard!

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones: So this is why we can't have nice things. If you don't like DBZ, that's cool. But keep it to yourself please. Smh

Beata

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: No it's my opinion. .

But I see you don't understand the difference between Some, and All.

SonDeathEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SonDeathEater
No Caption Provided

こんどの劇場版ドラゴンボールも、マンガで連載していた時の続きのつもりで新ストーリーを考えました。 絵を描いていないだけで、細かいセリフまで徹底的にこだわっています。 まあ、ホントは年齢的にシンドいのでそこまでやるつもりはなかったんですけど、ちょっとお調子に乗ってしまいました。

今回は、もちろん前回の「神と神」の続きになっていますが、意識してアクションシーンを大幅に増やしています。 内容に関しては、なぜかもったいぶって「まだ秘密に!」なんて言われてしまったので触れる事はできませんが、 メチャメチャおもしろいはずですよ!

ホントは派手なアクション物はあまり好きじゃないボクが言うんだからマチガイないっす! めったに褒めない初代担当編集者の鳥嶋氏も珍しく「いいね!」なんて言ったんで。

かなりマチガイないっす!…あんまりデカいこと言ってガッカリされちゃってもマズいのですが、 少なくともファンの方々には、とってもスカッと楽しめる内容になっていると自信を持っています! 現在、新キャラクターなどのデザイン画を描いています。映画の完成はまだ先ですがどうかお楽しみに!!

[As with the last movie], I thought up the new story for the next Dragon Ball theatrical movie as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization. Just the fact that I don’t have to draw anything means I can obsess completely over the smallest bits of dialogue. Well, the truth is that I wasn’t planning on going that far, since it’s pretty exhausting at my age, but I got a little carried away.

This time will of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods, but I’ve deliberately increased the amount of action scenes by a good deal. With regards to the contents, they told me, “Keep it a secret!” like they’re all high-and-mighty, so I can’t touch on it yet, but it should be super-duper interesting!

The fact that I’d say that, when I’m not big on the flashy action-stuff, means there’s no doubt about it! Even my very first editor Torishima, who rarely ever praises me, said, “This is good!”

Absolutely no doubt about it! …Although it won’t be any good if I say that too loudly and people end up disappointed by it, but at the very least, I’m confident that the contents are something that the fans will be able to thoroughly enjoy! Right now, I’m drawing the design illustrations for the new character[s] and such. The movie’s completion is still a ways out in the future, but please look forward to it!!

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777: Most of what you said isn't even true. In the past new games added better combos,better finishers and more sagas to play through. Among these were brand new what ifs. Besides story was never a big part of fighting games anyway.

Beata