Why do Comics.........................

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Make characters so powerful if they're only going to job and hold back? Wouldn't it make sense to create less powerful characters? Or to at least create opponents powerful enough to consistently threaten them?

atatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the times when people or the writer says the hero holds back (except for if otherwise they'd break their moral code) the writer has indeed failed to have an opponent challenging enough for the hero or the villain wasn't as much of a threat as he should be, the part about a hero holding back is mostly an excuse for it in my opinion.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atatje said:

Most of the times when people or the writer says the hero holds back (except for if otherwise they'd break their moral code) the writer has indeed failed to have an opponent challenging enough for the hero or the villain wasn't as much of a threat as he should be, the part about a hero holding back is mostly an excuse for it in my opinion.

By holding back I don't mean not killing. For example with all of Flash's powers he can easily defeat his Rouge's gallery if he stopped deciding to hold back, he wouldn't even have to kill them. I think it's an excuse too.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

One problem is over the years writers keep making characters stronger and stronger. When Superman first came out he could pick up a car and jump over a building. Now the dude is flying around moving planets and $#!%. Wolverine's healing factor is F-ing bananas now if you look back what it used to be. Back in the 80's when Wolverine got shot he would be like " Ouch give me a few minutes bub. I just got shot bub. I'll live bub. Just got to wait for my healing factor to do its thing bub...."Now you drop a bomb on the A-hole, and he won't miss a beat..... Iceman.... F-ing Iceman! When he first came out he was throwing snowballs at Magneto! Now he can make an army of ice giants!

atatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I completely agree. When you make characters so powerful that they actively have to ignore their power most of the time than why make them so powerful in the first place? I really hate when stories make characters do super powerful things just to show off. Like "I'm so strong I can destroy planets with a flick of the wrist!" But that would imply that that character simply getting in a fight with anyone even remotely close to his level would cause massive earth shattering collateral damge. So writers just ignore that during fights. Why make a characters so strong if they are just going to be written weaker for the story.

That's the main reason I prefer street level heroes because you don't get, as much, of that nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One problem is over the years writers keep making characters stronger and stronger. When Superman first came out he could pick up a car and jump over a building. Now the dude is flying around moving planets and $#!%. Wolverine's healing factor is F-ing bananas now if you look back what it used to be. Back in the 80's when Wolverine got shot he would be like " Ouch give me a few minutes bub. I just got shot bub. I'll live bub. Just got to wait for my healing factor to do its thing bub...."Now you drop a bomb on the A-hole, and he won't miss a beat..... Iceman.... F-ing Iceman! When he first came out he was throwing snowballs at Magneto! Now he can make an army of ice giants!

Great examples AND I chuckled. Thanks bub.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of this lol