#1 Posted by house90 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read a lot of green lantern and am just starting to get into GL so sorry if this is a dumb question. But from what I've seen it would seem like blue and white are more powerful than green so why would they choose green? It's been bothering me so much I created an account on this site just to ask.

#2 Posted by Joygirl (18453 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue is worthless without green, and white, from what I understand, they are simply incapable of tapping into. Indigo, as well, is purely complementary, and the other colors are all insane. Green was the only reasonable choice and also lies at the center of the DC emotional color spectrum.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (23009 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl said:
Blue is worthless without green, and white, from what I understand, they are simply incapable of tapping into. Indigo, as well, is purely complementary, and the other colors are all insane. Green was the only reasonable choice and also lies at the center of the DC emotional color spectrum.
Green is the center of the rainbow spectrum too, Roy G. Biv And since Oa is the center of the Universe, it makes sense.
#4 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

This, and als, Green was likely the most relatable one for the Guardians. Willpower isn't exactly an emotion, but all of the Guardians possess it.

#5 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

It does seem like the Guardians lacked emotions to control the other colors so they had to use green.

#6 Posted by house90 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks, much appreciated clarification. Though I still don't understand how hope compliments will power seeing as it's much easier to have hope without will power instead of the other way around.

#7 Posted by Joygirl (18453 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason hope

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause it went well with their complexion

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Willpower is at the very center of the spectrum, with no control over the user. Theres a lot of reasons why the Guardians chose green over red, orange, violet, or the myth of white

Red: Atrocitus harnessed red independently of the Guardians. Even so, its destructive, brain-damaging, and corruptive. Thats the opposite of peace.

Orange: Larfleez has orange all to himself. The Oans had an agreement with him. The obsession with possession wouldn't have helped either.

Yellow: GLs are chosen for their ability to overcome great fear. Harnessing yellow defeats the purpose. Plus: the classic Yellow Impurity and, post-retcon, Parallax.

Blue: Blue was not harnessed until very recently in-universe, and by a former Guardian. To my knowledge, blue wasn't even known of when the Oans formed the GLC. But I do think that the GLC would really benefit from having Blue Lanterns on rank. Their relationship is perfect symbiosis.

Indigo: Like blue, indigo was first harnessed not too long ago. It didn't exactly have an origin pre-Flashpoint, so according to the New-52: all the members are brainwashed former criminals found by Abin Sur, keyword brainwashed.

Violet: The Oans think the women of Zamaron are weakened by their obsession with emotions and love. Its also at the end of the spectrum, so it warps the user's ideologies.They wouldn't have chosen violet even if the Zamaroans didn't harness it.

White: Also not available until the recent stories and never completely controllable.

Black: No response needed.

#10 Posted by house90 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: I agree with you but I also think without hope one would have little reason to act in the first place. There is always action, even in dire situations, because there is a slight hope of something even if its not "winning" (i.e. "going out in a blaze of glory", "If I'm going down I'm taking you with me") If there was literally no hope then there wouldn't be any point to act would there?

also @joshmightbe: that is awesome that you got the midnight bomber what bombs at midnight for your avatar

#11 Posted by Joygirl (18453 posts) - - Show Bio

Darnit KnightRise, quit being so succinct and rub my feet.

#12 Posted by blackwolf0925 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really know why, but the color green reminds me of Springtime Of Youth. I think Rock Lee would make a perfect green lantern.