Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Manwhohaseverything said:

@Jnr6Lil: Thing is, those of us who think it was over-rated can actually give examples of bad writing/plot holes etc...the exact same things movies like GL get so criticized for. I think the double-standard is what bothers me the most. Why were all those things in "The Avengers" okay, when they aren't okay in GL? And why all the praise for "bringing the characters together?" That's NOT HARD TO DO. Heck, Whedon had the previous movies basically do that for him. Besides having characters interact is writing/directing 101, and folks act like Whedon cured cancer.

Why I say the Avengers was overrated because people saying it's the greatest comic movie of all time, when it doesn't have a compelling enough plot compared to X-Men,

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was no Batman. It just didn't feel right.

_Titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By _Titan

It was too vague. I could have put literally any hero in the situations he was in, just make it super speed saving carols dad or super strength instead of a goofy matchbox car. In the end what killed it was zero depth, and them just trying to get paid off an established concepts fandom.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By AtPhantom

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I agree. Take out Loki and Thor was very average. But Loki was superb, to be fair.

Amusingly Thor and GL are basically opposite in that regard. With Thor, the villain was what made it good. With GL, the blandness and utter unlikeability of the villains is what drags it down. Perhaps if that one aspect was removed from the equation, the movies would have been on par with each other.

MenaceForever2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MenaceForever2

The CGI

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Because of Ryan Reynolds's shit-eating grin.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Deranged Midget

The writing, the villain and the choice of location.

KraytRawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By KraytRawk

The plot was stale, the writing was flat, the pacing was off, acting was b movie level (with some exceptions), and casting was poopy.
There that is exactly why it sucked.
However i enjoyed watching it because the visuals were amazing..

marvelfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By marvelfanboy

@DocFatalis said:

I hate Hal Jordan anyway, he's the worst lantern to me.

That's not a opinion, that's a fact.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By agent9149

@AtPhantom: no those were all plot lines, and over-crowding was one of the major reason this movie sucked, with so much going on it was hard to focus on specific points in the movie

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal Jordan over John Stewart, Ryan Reynolds already playing Deadpool, Bad pacing and general storyline.

Thor > Green Lantern.

DCDoll666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@fadetoblackbolt: That term is indicative of a shift of paradigm. You're altering the standard and lowering your expectations of the film once you deem something a "popcorn flick." The term, by nature, indicates that the film is sub-par in at least writing and probably a few other facets. By nature, these films can only be enjoyed through liberal doses of "don't think about it" and "ignore it if you do." While you are certainly allowed to enjoy the film, this is similar in vein to the terms "B-movie" and "chick flick": both of which require some caveats for their enjoyment. Having to recite the MST3k mantra doesn't make the film good.

Also, your remark labeling Green Lantern a "popcorn comic" are at best ignorant. Nevermind that "high literature" is a nebulous term, Batman, for instance, was never "high literature" until someone decided to write a thought provoking piece concerning him. If writers like Grant Morrison and Alan Moore prove anything, it's that it's execution that separates "high literature" from the rest. Your notion crumbles in lieu of this. Even if the source material is the worst story to ever exist, it wouldn't exclude this film from being a train wreck.

@atphantom:
I actually think he's onto something. These were things that would have been plotlines if they were more organically written. As things stand in the film, nothing was given time to develop, and this ultimately results in a mishmash of plot points.

As for the Thor/GL mini-discussion happening here, I'd say Thor gets a major bonus from having a more coherent sequence of beets. They did meander a bit, though. Of course, it wasn't a very good movie, either.

Avatar image for deactivated-1358091
deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Its mainly because it seemed like that didn't know what they wanted to do with it, that being said it wasn't nearly as bad as the freak out would lead you to believe but it was by no means a good movie

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The plot was stale, the writing was flat, the pacing was off, acting was b movie level (with some exceptions), and casting was poopy.

Pretty much this. Effects were Ok but Ryan Reynolds had the charisma of a wet dish-washing rag and the whole movie felt stale with ultimately bland finale.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By TheVivas  Online

Everything besides the plot, villian, and certain scenes were good, imo.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kraytrawk said:

Pretty much this. Effects were Ok but Ryan Reynolds had the charisma of a wet dish-washing rag and the whole movie felt stale with ultimately bland finale.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was too childish and Parallax was way too op for a start.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

cause there were too many ugly people in it