Why did Hal Jordan get the Green Lantern Ring

imperiex96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By imperiex96

If the ring was instructed to find a fearless strong willed individual to take up the mantle of Green Lantern in Abin Sur's stead why Hal. he wasn't fearless, his will wasn't the stongest i mean parallax found footholds in him. if i were the ring i would have made a direct trip the Wayne manor, or where ever Bruce Wayne was at that time and chose hime to become part of the care. The batman has everything it takes to become a green lantern (or a yellow lantern for that matter but we'll save that foor later) yet the ring decided not only to not choose him but it didn't even go for second best i mean come on.Disregarding the whole character creation timeline theory after one of DC's many reboots they lived on the same planet at the same time so lets see what Hal has over him

• Fear: The ring was stated as Choosing Hal because of his 'ability' to overcome great fear. my question is why not pick somebody who already had his fears in check. Remember When parallax came knocking on Hal's door he let him in. When the whole justice league was balled up in a corner begging for their mothers bats was standing tall
  • Proximity: Hal was Close to where Abin Sur crash landed (why he was in a space pod at all still escapes me) but as a semi-sentient extremely powerful GL ring capable of opening wormholes and supersonic speed, why cut corners on choosing the next initiate to the corps. I mean choosing the wrong guy before has resulted in disaster.
  • Willpower:Hell Hal has got bunches of it just oozing out of him every second of the day but is his willpower significantly better that bats. I'd say nope. at least they would be equals in the will power thing. Bruce under went years of self inflicted torture, training, and studies just because he had something he believed in. me or you or ten random guys, a hundred random guys, you pick of the street would have off'd the clown prince of crime years ago. he's committed more terrible acts of crime than Mother Teresa could counter with good deeds in a hundred life times and with a Bruce Wayne style bank account. On the other hand if Hal's ring had let him kill from the get go he would have accidentally killed a thug with a super sized fist that never seems to break bones even though people occasionally fly though walls after getting hit. If you don't think Batman has the willpower to be a GL you should go volunteer your self to be locked in a PITCH BLACK room for a month with nothing to ding but dipping water and eating whatever rat crawls across your chest while you sleep without going as insane as the Mad Hatter.

Drive: The ring sensing emotion should have known Hal was likely to reject it while someone like batman would have welcomed a tool of such high caliber to fight crime with. Batman is compelled by nature to stop crime and injustice to a point by his very nature, Hal was compelled because he had got a new toy to use.

In the end i am glad things turned out how the did Hal is a kick-ass GL and Batman is one of the most loved heroes of all time. maybe the ring chose best. maybe it chose dependent on other characteristics that outweighed these, as or the other three earth lanterns.....

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JonSmith

The answer is simple: The ring was scared of Batman.

M'kay, serious now: The difference between the two, and why Hal was selected over Batman is relatively simple: You can see it when the Green and Yellow Rings choose them, respectively.

For the Green Lantern Ring: "Hal Jordon of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear, welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

For the Sinestro Corps Ring: "Bruce Wayne of Earth, you have the ability to instill great fear, welcome to the Sinestro Corps."

Overcome and instill. Bruce may have amazing willpower, perhaps even surpassing that of Hal Jordan's, but he never moved past the night his parents died. When Batman thinks about his parents, he thinks of a gunshot and falling pearls. He thinks his fear killed his parents: Because he was too afraid to act, to help, his parents were murdered. Batman never moved past that, he focused on it, forged it into an unbreakable core, and then molded himself around it into the Batman: A creature designed to strike the very same fear Batman felt that night into the criminals who caused it. A fear of helplessness. A fear of the dark. A fear that your entire world can come crashing down from the shadows at any moment.

Rather than finding the will to move on, Batman chose to inflict his fear on others.

Hal, on the other hand, watched his father die in a plane accident. Rather than focusing on that, he moved on. He overcame that and became a pilot in spite of it. Hal found the will to move on in spite of his fear, even if he had to forget fear entirely to do it.

So naturally the ring chose Hal instead of Batman: It sought those who could defeat fear, not those who caused it.

imperiex96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By imperiex96

Holy typos Batman, there are so many!!!

sorry i type a little too fast and get ahead of myself sometimes.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

here we go again,cuz its not like we dont have 5million of these threads

1.Rings dont select people who are fearless because there is no such thing as a fearless person (at least not a sane one), its the ability to to overcome great fear that makes people worthy to be GL. I

2. Batman has great willpower but its primarily fueled and polluted by fear, whereas Hal has overcome and moved on

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Because Batman is Batman, not a Green Lantern.

Why is Superman not a Blue Lantern? Because he's Superman.

It's as simple as that. Why double dip your heroes?

It has nothing to do with the "fear of moving on" or whatever other BS Johns made up to try and justify it, it's just an editorial thing. Batman is Batman. Green Lantern is Hal, Kyle, John or (shudders) Guy or the Baztard.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Decoy Elite

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It has nothing to do with the "fear of moving on" or whatever other BS Johns made up to try and justify it, it's just an editorial thing. Batman is Batman. Green Lantern is Hal, Kyle, John or (shudders) Guy or the Baztard.

Oh we all know Bats would get a Yellow ring under Johns set up. Fear has always been his greatest tool.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SoA

can never understand the Guy hate, Baz is new and that doubles the confusion , But anything is better than Hal even Gnort

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

and thats why we call you the "Truth"

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SoA said:

can never understand the Guy hate

(because he's a horrible person and an overrated Lantern)

Baz is new and that doubles the confusion ,

But anything is better than Hal even Gnort

someone sippin that haterade i see
SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SoA

@Avenging-X-Bolt: nah just never liked Hal .He is by far my least favorite , maybe just maybe I overreached with the Gnort comment. but to me Hal is to DC what Thor is to Marvel, only in His own arc is he important or does something impressive otherwise he is kinda lame . and how just how is Guy more overrated than Hal???

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SoA said:

0@Avenging-X-Bolt: nah just never liked Hal .

thats cool than. different strokes for different folks

He is by far my least favorite , maybe just maybe I overreached with the Gnort comment. but to me Hal is to DC what Thor is to Marvel, only in His own arc is he important or does something impressive otherwise he is kinda lame .

and how just how is Guy more overrated than Hal???

Guy was like the most hated person in the corps for years but somehow magically evolved into this highly respected corps leader? total bs

imperiex96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By imperiex96

@Avenging-X-Bolt: if batman hasn't or cant overcome great fear he isn't the only one that's insane -_-

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@imperiex96 said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: if batman hasn't or cant overcome great fear he isn't the only one that's insane -_-

i dont know what that's supposed to mean.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@imperiex96 said:

when did anyone say Batman is insane?

imperiex96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By imperiex96
1.Rings dont select people who are fearless because there is no such thing as a fearless person (at least not a sane one),

batman is fearless so he must not be sane

plus maybe there is no such thing as a fearless person but then again there is no such thing as power rings in the first place

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@imperiex96 said:

1.Rings dont select people who are fearless because there is no such thing as a fearless person (at least not a sane one),

batman is fearless so he must not be sane

Okay, i see i've upset you by saying that your favorite character has flaws and cant have everything you tried lashing out at me with a pathetically veiled infantile insult.

Batman isnt fearless. he fears those he loves being hurt for one. Even the most hardcore Batman fan can tell you that he's paranoid as hell. Its not a big deal. fear doesnt lessen a character f anything it makes them better when they overcome it.

plus maybe there is no such thing as a fearless person but then again there is no such thing as power rings in the first place

I know this. whats your point?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@imperiex96 said:

If the ring was instructed to find a fearless strong willed individual to take up the mantle of Green Lantern in Abin Sur's stead why Hal. he wasn't fearless, his will wasn't the stongest i mean parallax found footholds in him. if i were the ring i would have made a direct trip the Wayne manor, or where ever Bruce Wayne was at that time and chose hime to become part of the care. The batman has everything it takes to become a green lantern (or a yellow lantern for that matter but we'll save that foor later) yet the ring decided not only to not choose him but it didn't even go for second best i mean come on.Disregarding the whole character creation timeline theory after one of DC's many reboots they lived on the same planet at the same time so lets see what Hal has over him

• Fear: The ring was stated as Choosing Hal because of his 'ability' to overcome great fear. my question is why not pick somebody who already had his fears in check. Remember When parallax came knocking on Hal's door he let him in. When the whole justice league was balled up in a corner begging for their mothers bats was standing tall
your butthurt is showing. Hal had Parallax inside of him for years . this is true. but Parallax didn't actually possess/gain actual control him until after the complete and utter annihilation of his home town and the attempted revocation of Hal's ring. thats Major shit. Batman has sunk into the darkness as well for lesser things even if he didnt ill anyone. we have no reason to believe Batmn wouldn't pull the same shit under Parallax'control . He already created a giant death satellite with freakin OMACs and formulated a plan to take out the entire Justice League.
  • Proximity: Hal was Close to where Abin Sur crash landed (why he was in a space pod at all still escapes me) but as a semi-sentient extremely powerful GL ring capable of opening wormholes and supersonic speed, why cut corners on choosing the next initiate to the corps. I mean choosing the wrong guy before has resulted in disaster.
Abin Sur was in a spaceship because it wasprophesiedthat his ring would fail him when he needed it most. and Hal wasnt the wrong guy.

• Willpower:Hell Hal has got bunches of it just oozing out of him every second of the day but is his willpower significantly better that bats. I'd say nope. at least they would be equals in the will power thing. Bruce under went years of self inflicted torture, training, and studies just because he had something he believed in. me or you or ten random guys, a hundred random guys, you pick of the street would have off'd the clown prince of crime years ago. he's committed more terrible acts of crime than Mother Teresa could counter with good deeds in a hundred life times and with a Bruce Wayne style bank account. On the other hand if Hal's ring had let him kill from the get go he would have accidentally killed a thug with a super sized fist that never seems to break bones even though people occasionally fly though walls after getting hit. If you don't think Batman has the willpower to be a GL you should go volunteer your self to be locked in a PITCH BLACK room for a month with nothing to ding but dipping water and eating whatever rat crawls across your chest while you sleep without going as insane as the Mad Hatter.

Drive: The ring sensing emotion should have known Hal was likely to reject it while someone like batman would have welcomed a tool of such high caliber to fight crime with. Batman is compelled by nature to stop crime and injustice to a point by his very nature, Hal was compelled because he had got a new toy to use.

and what brings you to this conclusion?

In the end i am glad things turned out how the did Hal is a kick-ass GL and Batman is one of the most loved heroes of all time. maybe the ring chose best. maybe it chose dependent on other characteristics that outweighed these, as or the other three earth lanterns.....

The entire butt hurt blog kinda gives a different impression

@imperiex96 said:

no one said he isnt capable.