Why can't the science used in comics be used in real life?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dondave

just wondering

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Lack of funding. :P

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

But seriously what do you mean?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondave

@CrimsonCake:in comics you have ways to enter the microverse and travel galaxies but we cant even travel to pluto

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonCake

@dondave said:

@CrimsonCake:in comics you have ways to enter the microverse and travel galaxies but we cant even travel to pluto

Well comic book science is significantly different than real science. We have theoretical methods on how to travel to galaxies and what not but the technology just isn't there yet.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dondave

@CrimsonCake: thanks

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonCake

@CrimsonCake said:

@dondave said:

Well comic book science is significantly different than real science. We have theoretical methods on how to travel to galaxies and what not but the technology just isn't there yet.

Of course were on our way there.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chronus

@dondave said:

We either aren't advanced enough or scientists don't have enough funding expenses. Then there's the lack of god-like beings on our planet.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrazer
@CrimsonCake said:

@dondave said:

Have always wondered, why isn't the technology here? I mean is there some sort of barrier besides funding?..
Kevhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kevhunt

Not to mention that the fact that the amount of time to get from solar system a to b is drastically down sized in comics.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CrimsonCake

@Wolfrazer said:

@CrimsonCake said:

@dondave said:

Have always wondered, why isn't the technology here? I mean is there some sort of barrier besides funding?..

Well at this point we are still making new discoveries.

Technological breakthroughs happen in time. We've even made a robot that can run faster than Usain Bolt. We are still progressing at the moment. But don't worry, We'll get our hover boards, Someday...

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

Okay sure. Go ahead and douse yourself in Gamma Rays and see what happens.

What radioactivity has ever been kind to people. Only in comics. Hulk, F4, Spider-Man.

Real life? I don't think so...

Other than that, stuff that happens in comics is all based off real-world theories. And if comic books are based off theories, how can we be able to do what they do in real life? Soon enough though.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark matter is the key and it's more abundant than matter. It's just a matter of finding it and harnessing it as energy to sustain our ships, among other things.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Zdaybreak

Because TOAA is too busy doing cameos in movies instead of making this happen.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

@sesquipedalophobe said:

Dark matter is the key and it's more abundant than matter. It's just a matter of finding it and harnessing it as energy to sustain our ships, among other things.

This is just a plain no lol. dark matter.. I am not going to even tell you why your wrong if in the first place you think that, LOL!

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YoggSaron

@Pyrogram said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

This is just a plain no lol. dark matter.. I am not going to even tell you why your wrong if in the first place you think that, LOL!

Are you saying that dark matter isn't the key or are you outright dismissing its existence? If the latter, I would love to hear your hypothesis on the large amount of mass in the universe that remains unaccounted for, Dr. Cosmologist.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By theTimeStreamer

lack of reed richards

The3rdOption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The3rdOption

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jorgevy

@The3rdOption said:

hahaahah couldn't have put it better than this

holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By holaso

Comic book science is faked...some writers do a good job while others do not. I was reading a comicbook the other day and was totally jerked out of my suspension of disbelief because the scientific jargon was a load of cr@p. The writer was obviously stringing together phrases and concepts he heard but doesn't understand to make the comicbook science "believable". (I wish I could find that reference right now) - But anyways, science in comicbooks can't be used in real life because a lot of times there is a MISSING PIECE of the PUZZLE that comicbooks fill in that doesn't exist in the real world.

Take for instance Einstein has long searched for the key to connect Relativity and Quantum Mechanics...he never found it. In the comicbook world that one little small key piece would just be assumed to exist.

Another example is "gravitons" as being a subatomic particle that can resist gravity...which enables gravity control and flight for a number of Marvel characters. Obviously 'gravitons' in their definition is 100% fabricated. No such particle exists.

Another overused example is being able to 'tap into other dimensions' to control energy sources from there. Who did the research to even begin to peek into that other dimension? We have nothing to even be able to prove that other dimensions exists let alone tap it for resources.

A down-to-earth example is Spiderman's webbing. I can't think of any combination of standard chemical compounds that would be able to make a fluid that can be compressed and gels into a sticky stretchable when aerated that would be able to support the stress of a 50 ton force.

-

Comicbooks are essentially a niche SCIENCE FICTION. Writers build on tid bits of facts today to write fantastic stories of things that "could" be.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Kal'smahboi

@The3rdOption said:

Terrific. Absolutely terrific.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoggSaron

@Pyrogram said:

@YoggSaron said:

@Pyrogram said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

Are you saying that dark matter isn't the key or are you outright dismissing its existence? If the latter, I would love to hear your hypothesis on the large amount of mass in the universe that remains unaccounted for, Dr. Cosmologist.

It obviously exists, we recently observed its effects about a month or two ago for the first time, but not that actual substance. And don't make it out to be special, The theory behind it is simple well sort of. Its the anti-gravity so to say, or the opposing force. As EVERYTHING in nature has an opposing force , dark matter and energy are the opposing to gravity.

Now, as an energy source this is AT-LEAST well over a hundreds of years away, as we cant even observe it yet, only the affects. We would have no idea what it can do. and the "mass" your talking about in the universe is unaccounted for as we have not observed or seen it yet. Dark matter has no "mass" in the way you say. It is only hypothesized.

Please, I would love to hear your hypothesis on the energy dark matter or energy can give us, please elaborate , Dr. Cosmologist.

I never said it would be an energy source. I was just responding to your poorly articulated and confusing in message response to Sesquip.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Pyrogram

@YoggSaron said:

@Pyrogram said:

@YoggSaron said:

@Pyrogram said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

It obviously exists, we recently observed its effects about a month or two ago for the first time, but not that actual substance. And don't make it out to be special, The theory behind it is simple well sort of. Its the anti-gravity so to say, or the opposing force. As EVERYTHING in nature has an opposing force , dark matter and energy are the opposing to gravity.

Now, as an energy source this is AT-LEAST well over a hundreds of years away, as we cant even observe it yet, only the affects. We would have no idea what it can do. and the "mass" your talking about in the universe is unaccounted for as we have not observed or seen it yet. Dark matter has no "mass" in the way you say. It is only hypothesized.

Please, I would love to hear your hypothesis on the energy dark matter or energy can give us, please elaborate , Dr. Cosmologist.

I never said it would be an energy source. I was just responding to your poorly articulated and confusing in message response to Sesquip.

Ok, do you understand me now?

Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

If we're talking Batman it seems possible, but anyone with that amount of money doesnt care about saving the innocent people of the world

And the crazies always seem to get locked up so no villian either! Those doctors never let us have any fun!

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By agent9149

Because comic book science is plot magic, plot magic doesn't exist naturally in the world.