Why can't DC or Marvel buy anime characters?

• 54 results
Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kramotz

What's stopping them from buying a memorable character and integrating them into their universes? Also, has it ever been done before?

It sucks that great anime characters eventually die off with their series, but comic book characters can live on in the multiple storylines and continuities of their universes.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how I feel about this.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? I don't think they want to. They could buy them but I'm 99.9% sure they don't want to.

Marvel had Mangaverse for a minute if that counts?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

Because the creators are set for life and actually care about keeping control over what happens to their characters/legacy.

The amount of money most anime studios make each year just from arcades games and merch is enough for them to just do anything they want for the rest of their existences so marvel/dc waving money in fort of their faces is like offering them nothing.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would they want too?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why buy them when they can make their own........

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kyrees

why would they need to when they can make their own.............

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon: You can't simply recreate characters like Johan Liebert, Kira, L, Aizen, Lelouch, etc. (just examples; most of them wouldn't fit, I know), no matter how good your writers are.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

With Marvel being owned by Disney, and DC being owned by Warner Bros., if they would buy an anime franchise they'd probably keep it separate.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kramotz said:

@judasnixon: You can't simply recreate characters like Johan Liebert, Kira, L, Aizen, Lelouch, etc. (just examples; most of them wouldn't fit, I know), no matter how good your writers are.

I have no clue who any of those people are..........

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon said:

@kyrees said:

why would they need to when they can make their own.............

I don't think it would be that easy.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon said:

@kramotz said:

Iconic/notable anime characters.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and i supposed recreating that character from another universe is easy then ?

it's cheaper to create your own character than buy another character.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kramotz

@mysticmedivh: Yep, iconic anime characters who will only be remembered 20 years from now, while other characters in comics, who aren't even remotely as well-written, will still be involved in storylines and getting attention and focus.

@kyrees: Your point? Recreating a character can not only lead to copyright issues, if too similar, but, due to having to make said character different to avoid copyright issues, the new character usually isn't as good as the original... at all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@judasnixon said:

@kramotz said:

Iconic/notable anime characters.

Apparently not iconic/notable enough.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mysticmedivh

@kyrees said:

@mysticmedivh said:

I'm not speaking in financial terms.

I mean, could Marvel/DC pull off a smash hit, a notable/genuinely good anime/manga, or anything along those lines? Such as Code Geass, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, etc.

Sure, if they have the money they can do it. But as primarily American comic book companies, could they pull off a good one?

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: No no no, it's not that they aren't notable enough. Anyone who doesn't know any of those characters simply doesn't read manga or watch anime (because if they did, they would have heard of at least two of them), plain and simple.

Likely someone who limits what they read to American comics.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@kramotz said:

Not recreating. Making one's own. Use some of the same ingredients in a different recipe, as opposed to rehashing, is what I think Chef Nixon is suggesting. At any rate, even if a particular recipe is lost to time, the fundamentals of cooking and the ingredients are immortal. New delicacies are always waiting to be experienced, even if they're not cooked the way your mom did.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't the think the writers will sell off something so well written. The characters were given a fitting ending, and it should stay that way imo. That's what makes them so great, and worth picking up every issue of the series. Characters like superman and spiderman will always be around written by non-original authors, it'd be sad to see good characters ruined like that...

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@mysticmedivh said:

I'm not speaking in financial terms.

I mean, could Marvel/DC pull off a smash hit, a notable/genuinely good anime/manga, or anything along those lines? Such as Code Geass, Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, etc.

Sure, if they have the money they can do it. But as primarily American comic book companies, could they pull off a good one?

could marvel/dc copy the same success such anime/manga garnered if they republish that work under their wing ?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz said:

@dernman: No no no, it's not that they aren't notable enough. Anyone who doesn't know any of those characters simply doesn't read manga or watch anime (because if they did, they would have heard of at least two of them), plain and simple.

Likely someone who limits what they read to American comics.

Not true at all. I do both and had to double check.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kramotz

@darthmummy: I see, but why do that when you can buy the masterpiece as it is? I'd rather buy the Mona Lisa than try to create my own; see what I did there. It's just not that easy to create something of your own that heavily consists of ingredients from something else.

@dernman: If you don't know any of those characters, you don't read manga or watch anime. Yes, I am telling you what you do. It's simply not possible to have no knowledge of the characters I mentioned and still read manga and watch anime. Sorry for being a turd, but that's how it is.

And let's say that you do read and watch animanga: You're just one person who has very very little knowledge of the art form; just because you don't know of them doesn't mean they aren't noticeable. It simply means that you don't really read or watch animanga. (Yep, I just did that.)

(Once again, sorry for being a turd.)

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kyrees
@kramotz said:

Your point? Recreating a character can not only lead to copyright issues, if too similar, but, due to having to make said character different to avoid copyright issues, the new character usually isn't as good as the original... at all.

and how are you going to prove that a company copied a character that it infringes copyright issues ?

why even sell the character when the new company won't even likely put it on the same pedestal its former owner did ? you see the future to tell that they can do that ?

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman

@kramotz said:

@darthmummy: I see, but why do that when you can buy the masterpiece as it is? I'd rather buy the Mona Lisa than try to create my own; see what I did there. It's just not that easy to create something of your own that heavily consists of ingredients from something else.

@dernman: If you don't know any of those characters, you don't read manga or watch anime. Yes, I am telling you what you do. It's simply not possible to have no knowledge of the characters I mentioned and still read manga and watch anime. Sorry for being a turd, but that's how it is.

And let's say that you do read and watch animanga: You're just one person who has very very little knowledge of the art form; just because you don't know of them doesn't mean they aren't noticeable. It simply means that you don't really read or watch animanga. (Yep, I just did that.)

(Once again, sorry for being a turd.)

That's a presumptuous post which reads what it wants to read instead of what is actually said. Waist your breath telling me what to do because it means nothing. Also you're not excused. Get over your butthurt because another Anime/Manga fan doesn't see things the same way as you. Seriously you're rep'ing the worst type of fan in both comics and manga. The one non reading comic/manga fans make fun of and gives the rest a bad name.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kramotz

@kyrees: Can you see the future to tell that they can't? No, neither of us possess that ability, so asking me such a question is useless.

That's why I said "can lead" rather than will. Neither of us knows what would happen if DC or Marvel bought a major anime character.

@dernman: Correction: I never told you what to do and you aren't an animanga fan.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz: can you assure the company publishing the said product that they would have the same patronage the former company of that product had ? banking on nothing is an extremely risky move especially if it is one such highly monitored product like the "critically acclaimed" monster.

we, the average reader, may not know but the investors who be investing their money to it would like to know.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kramotz

@kyrees: Can you assure that they won't?

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime isn't 'a character' or even a group of characters, it's a animation style.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dernman
@kramotz said:

@kyrees: Can you see the future to tell that they can't? No, neither of us possess that ability, so asking me such a question is useless.

That's why I said "can lead" rather than will. Neither of us knows what would happen if DC or Marvel bought a major anime character.

@dernman: Correction: I never told you what to do and you aren't an animanga fan.

Oh so you didn't type this

Yes, I am telling you what you do

Saying I'm not an animemanga fan because you chose read things into my post that wasn't there and because I don't see things the way you do is ignorance.

Keep digging your hole deeper.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kyrees

@kramotz: that line never made sense. also, it rests on the person pushing the agenda to be reliable. you are the one pushing dc or marvel to buy anime characters. prove to us first what you are pushing, not the other way around because the people who have the power to do this, not the people who are asking you too, is needing more reasons rather being goaded by a relative unknown.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@kramotz: Hell no..Comicbook's vary from writer.I basically grew up with the silver age.I don't like the modern age.It is just my opinion. Comicbook writers create stories for various tastes.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they never get thier slime covered hands on any famous anime characters they would absolutely butcher everything that makes them special.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kramotz

@kyrees said:

@kramotz: that line never made sense. also, it rests on the person pushing the agenda to be reliable. you are the one pushing dc or marvel to buy anime characters. prove to us first what you are pushing, not the other way around because the people who have the power to do this, not the people who are asking you too, is needing more reasons rather being goaded by a relative unknown.

No, I was actually asking a question, wondering if there was some reason why they didn't buy anime characters that I didn't know about. You and your business jargon were likely spawned from another similar thread I made.

Also, I'm assuming you don't know what a business venture is, do you? You know... taking chances and all? Regardless, that's irrelevant, as what you're saying and asking is all wrong. If a character is already quite popular and DC or Marvel feels like they could integrate them into their respective universes and create amazing storylines around them, they're going to buy that character, plain and simple.

You're just doing it wrong; you should be asking if a character can be creatively used to earn more money than they costed, not for reasons why you should purchase that character - these are things DC and Marvel would formulate on their own as, you know, the buyers and all.

But, you see, the above would mean that DC and Marvel aren't interested in buying animanga characters, which I simply don't believe, hence this thread.

@dernman: What you do, not what to do. l0l

Comprehend what you read before posting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dernman
@kramotz said:

@kyrees said:

No, I was actually asking a question, wondering if there was some reason why they didn't buy anime characters that I didn't know about. You and your business jargon were likely spawned from another similar thread I made.

Also, I'm assuming you don't know what a business venture is, do you? You know... taking chances and all? Regardless, that's irrelevant, as what you're saying and asking is all wrong. If a character is already quite popular and DC or Marvel feels like they could integrate them into their respective universes and create amazing storylines around them, they're going to buy that character, plain and simple.

You're just doing it wrong; you should be asking if a character can be creatively used to earn more money than they costed, not for reasons why you should purchase that character - these are things DC and Marvel would formulate on their own as, you know, the buyers and all.

But, you see, the above would mean that DC and Marvel aren't interested in buying animanga characters, which I simply don't believe, hence this thread.

@dernman: What you do, not what to do. l0l

Comprehend what you read before posting.

Nice desperate attempt to save face

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kyrees

@kramotz said:

i know what a business venture but i also see the history of the company and if company A hasn't put that much effort on buying product rights from company B, there's loads of things that company A doesn't see in the products of company B regardless of their popularity. the manga genre has been here for years and yet dc and marvel hasn't bought a character from them. i know anime has made joint ventures on marvel and i know recently there's a crossover between anime (specifically attack on titan) and marvel however this is material that is currently being liked by many anime and comic fans alike

taking chances has its limits and by asking that a character can pull more than what it costed to produce is to assume it easily works on the target audience. that is being naive on the current market trends and it will spell disaster to you especially if said character has long been ages not seen in publication. of course, you can't tell what will actually happen but if you review the current market to it, why would you make a dangerous dare on it ? pulling your last thread here, would johann be that relevant today to pull a sizable return investment that its producer would think of making him better in the long run ?

you simply don't believe it but history already tells much between the interactions of the two genres and sadly, it hasn't gone beyond joint ventures.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@kramotz said:

i know what a business venture but i also see the history of the company and if company A hasn't put that much effort on buying product rights from company B, there's loads of things that company A doesn't see in the products of company B regardless of their popularity. the manga genre has been here for years and yet dc and marvel hasn't bought a character from them. i know anime has made joint ventures on marvel and i know recently there's a crossover between anime (specifically attack on titan) and marvel however this is material that is currently being liked by many anime and comic fans alike

taking chances has its limits and by asking that a character can pull more than what it costed to produce is to assume it easily works on the target audience. that is being naive on the current market trends and it will spell disaster to you especially if said character has long been ages not seen in publication. of course, you can't tell what will actually happen but if you review the current market to it, why would you make a dangerous dare on it ? pulling your last thread here, would johann be that relevant today to pull a sizable return investment that its producer would think of making him better in the long run ?

you simply don't believe it but history already tells much between the interactions of the two genres and sadly, it hasn't gone beyond joint ventures.

Everything you're asking depends on how well DC or Marvel's writers utilize whatever anime character they purchase. You're acting like DC and Marvel just automatically know how much creative talent will be churned into a character by their staff before buying said character. The basis of all of your arguments are based on assumption and chance - just like the prospect of a character being successful in a certain universe. And no, chances don't have limits (that doesn't even make sense, honestly).

And most anime/comic relations are based on crossovers, not single character purchases and integration.

"Would johann be that relevant today to pull a sizable return investment that its producer would think of making him better in the long run?" Relevance has little to do with a character's success. Like I said, a character's success solely depends on how they're handle by the writers. You come off as thinking that it depends on some sort of collective head of a publisher, which is false. And neither of us know how DC or Marvel would handle whatever anime character they purchased.

To sum it up: The success of a character isn't dependent the creative talent of their writers, which is variable.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

My base question on this subject remains:

Why would they want to?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kyrees
@kramotz said:

Everything you're asking depends on how well DC or Marvel's writers utilize whatever anime character they purchase. You're acting like DC and Marvel just automatically know how much creative talent will be churned into a character by their staff before buying said character. The basis of all of your arguments are based on assumption and chance - just like the prospect of a character being successful in a certain universe. And no, chances don't have limits (that doesn't even make sense, honestly).

And most anime/comic relations are based on crossovers, not single character purchases and integration.

"Would johann be that relevant today to pull a sizable return investment that its producer would think of making him better in the long run?" Relevance has little to do with a character's success. Like I said, a character's success solely depends on how they're handle by the writers. You come off as thinking that it depends on some sort of collective head of a publisher, which is false. And neither of us know how DC or Marvel would handle whatever anime character they purchased.

To sum it up: The success of a character isn't dependent the creative talent of their writers, which is variable.

my actual argument was whether marvel or dc fans would actually buy that character and their story, not on how well the writers of dc and marvel portray said character. you do remember me saying that in a thread of yours that marvel and dc butchers their stories too much that one has to expect it on them on any character. i am not painting dc or marvel as the glorified storymakers of the century but i am pointing out on how their fans would react to it.

the crossovers are what we can base now on how they interpret such anime characters and frankly, it sucks. there is no story on the AoT marvel crossover and marvel anime is merely a retelling of the MCU characters in current japan. if that's what they can do, i shudder to think what they can do on an actual single anime character that they bought.

my point of view is essentially how a publisher would react and yes, marvel has multiple publishers and yes we don't fully know how well they can handle it but in a pragmatic point of view, a publisher like "me" needs more reasons to purchase a character accordingly and writer telling a good story is only a halfway point to that. the current time relevance is also a factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I dont think that Manga characthers wouldnt be well integrated on comics very well.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SilverPool

Why would they?

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether they can or can't, they shouldn't they're two different mediums I wouldn't like to see merged.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt: Only select characters, not entire series.

@vitalius: A select few could be integrated very well. Johan Liebert would fit right in, in either universe (particularly DCU-Batman, imo).

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz: Actually a few of the more obscure ones could work but my mind went straight to the big ones; Luffy, Naruto, Goku, Ichigo were the ones that I thought of when I wrote that and were the ones I was basing my opinion on.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anime characters are not creator owned products, they are owned by larger corporations

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool if marvel bought vash the stampede...

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kramotz

@tikhunt: It's cool. That's typically what people think of when they hear "anime", which I think is a reason so many people apparently dislike the prospect of DC or Marvel ever buying any anime characters. I agree that characters like Goku, Ichigo, Naruto, Luffy, Edward Elric, Light Yagami, etc. can't just slide into the DCU/MU, due the varying and incompatible origins of their powers and abilities. They are kind of made for the anime outlet.

Johan Liebert, however, has no powers, has an origin story that can either be directly transferred into, tweaked, or not even told, and is a masterpiece of a character in general. His implementation would be very easy, due to him and his universe not having any insane supernatural powers that would have to be explained and written into the lore of the DCU/MU.

Ijordan04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@judasnixon:

@kramotz said:

Me neither and I'm a big anime fan