Why Ben Affleck?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dougie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

In my humble opinion there is no logical reason to have cast him in this very difficult/popular/lucrative role. There are so many more talented actors to play Batman who didn't already ruin a comic character in a movie and more likely than not act circles around him. Guy has never had a lead role in that was a big success. Why him?

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RealityWarper

Because HE'S BATMAN !

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@dougie68 said:

Guy has never had a lead role in that was a big success. Why him?

Gone Girl

Argo

The Town

Dazed and Confused

Hollywoodland

Armageddon (Made a lot of money)

Good Will Hunting

Pearl Harbor (made a lot of money)

Chasing Amy

etc...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe because he's a pretty great actor????

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why does everyone hate on Daredevil? That was a good movie imo.

dougie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those aren't lead roles. They are supporting roles. He has never had a movie he carried by himself. Also has several razzies. My point is there is so much better without the dubious past. By the way I wouldn't put Pearl Harbor or Armageddon as measures of acting strength.

Avatar image for serpinethegreen
serpinethegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dougie68:

He looks like batman / Bruce build height etc

He's proven to be a great actor/director

See Argo

I imagine he could play bruce Wayne (harder than most would think) and batman which is something no one's pulled off

He's made his comic book mistake and recovered he won't repeat DD because he worked so hard to get over it

He may not be the right age for the batman want

.....but he is for the Batman they need

Whether you like it or not the guy is a perfect fit for the new 52 batman

And personally I think he'll be awesome.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kidchipotle: He's not great, he's okay.I don't even get the problem: any idiot can be Batman--you just have to be able to brood.

I like how people like to act like Batman had range or depth as a character.

Affleck will be fine.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I'm more excited to see his interpretation of Bruce Wayne. We haven't had a really good Bruce Wayne yet.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#12 god_spawn  Moderator

He is a high profile actor, has a physical build, loves comic books, and it isn't fair to denounce his abilities under a role that happened over 12 years ago when their were more things wrong with the movie than just his acting. Affleck is a fine choice.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all you should see The Town, Argo, and Gone Girl which he was the lead in.

Second, Ben was not the problem with Daredevil. The writing and directing was the problem with Daredevil. I don't give a damn how good of an actor you are, nobody was saving that playground fight scene.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is gonna be the definitive Batman on screen mark my world.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@superguy1591: I'm more excited to see his interpretation of Bruce Wayne. We haven't had a really good Bruce Wayne yet.

I thought Bale's Wayne was pretty good.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

again with this...

No Caption Provided

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably could have found someone better, but I don't mind him being Batman.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really doesn't take much to play the big three.. as much as it would take to play characters like idk.. Thor, Cap, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dbvse7: Disagree, it's tough being Superman.

You need some charm or you'll come across as a know-it-all.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: Captain America and Superman aren't too far apart. Batman, Spiderman and Superman express much more emotion than Ironman, Cap & Thor.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DBVSE7

@kfabz-23: That's a lie..

I'm talking about personality.. not emotion. Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Spidey have distinct personalities.. Supes and Bats..? Generic Twins at best.. just wearing different costumes.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DBVSE7

@superguy1591: Not really.. Reeves and Cavil performances prove that. CR was the better superman, but Cavils acting wasn't something to be impressed about yet he praised as the best Superman.

Charm? Lol.

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why Affleck? They seen his d*ck in Gone Girl and thought yup, that's the d*ck of Batman.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DBVSE7

@wrglfan2814: Anything is better than clowny.

Ben will most likely be the best Batman compared to Christian Fail.. I feel like he forced the role a bit.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

2014 called they want their thread back.....

cana0703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cana0703

Because he's a great, multiple award-winning actor, director and screenwriter.You're argument that he's never had a successful leading role is false because he's received a lot of critical praise for his performances in The Town, Argo, Changing Lanes, Chasing Amy and lately got best career-reviews for Gone Girl and even in semi-leading/supporting roles has shown true acting ability, such as Hollywoodland (for which he received a Golden-Globe nomination), Good Will Hunting, Dazed and Confused etc. He was even one of the early contenders for the Best Actor Oscar race last year and probably would have gotten a nomination but the other contenders had more showy and historical characters that they played and that's what Academy Awards usually recognize the most. Being critically acclaimed for his work behind the camera work and a fan of comic books as he claims, he will most likely be asked for and willingly give his personal input during the creative process which will probably be very beneficial to the movie. He already brought in the movie the Argo screenwriter, Oscar-winning Chris Terrio. I personally think Ben Affleck's choice is the best thing that could have happened to this movie.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@dougie68 said:

In my humble opinion there is no logical reason to have cast him in this very difficult/popular/lucrative role. There are so many more talented actors to play Batman who didn't already ruin a comic character in a movie and more likely than not act circles around him. Guy has never had a lead role in that was a big success. Why him?

i'm sorry but wrong much? He didn't ruin Daredevil the script did and it was more than 10 years ago.

Never a big success in a lead role? Gone Girl, Town, argo would beg to differ. He's one of the best actors in Hollywood right now IMO his latest movies for the recent years.

cana0703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cana0703

Oh, and as others have already stated, he didn't ruin Daredevil. That movie suffered in many other levels, especially direction and writing. If you actually read or are interested in critic reviews, his performance stands out as one of the few positive highlighted parts of that movie. And even if he had actually given an "objectively"bad performance, that movie come out about 11 years ago. Actors grow and improve through experience. They may start out as good and eventually become great.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

It really doesn't take much to play the big three.. as much as it would take to play characters like idk.. Thor, Cap, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.

Lol wut?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spambot

I think he will be the best Batman so far. Bale is a better actor but I wasn't a big fan of his Batman or especially the voice he used. I think Ben will play more of an effortless Batman rather than the forced persona Bale used. I used to really dislike Affleck as an actor but I think he sort of found his range in the last 5-10 years and now is pretty good.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is an excellent choice.

Not the best. But excellent.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: Reeve had much more screentime as the character bro. Cavill was Clark throughout the whole movie, we haven't had the chance to see him as Superman. And I think Cavill's Clark>Reeves. That's just me though.

And no Superman and Batman couldn't be more different. They have the same mission but their personalities are so different. Because I could pick out Spiderman and Human Torch and say they have the same personality. Another example Wolverine and Punisher. I could go on.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DBVSE7

@kfabz-23: He was MOS during a good portion of the film from the looks of it.. doesn't really matter about how much screentime someone has.. Reeves was simply the better actor for the role..

Cavills Superman just looks better because it's modern and has more of a realistic feel to it. Graphics have also improved with technology, so naturally this would make his Superman seem better.

Yea they're both outgoing.. but Spider-Man is the more appreciated/well known character. Superman and Batman are equals in that department.

They have different motives.. personality wise as Superheros they're not that different. Like most of the JL they have this "macho, it's time to be all serious and save the day" attitude.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.....Ben Affleck playing a dark, moody womaniser who doubles up as a street leveller at night ....what could possibly go wrong ......

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DBVSE7

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Avengers have more noticeable, diverse personalities than the JL.. from comics, to animation, to live action it's pretty evident.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegrayghost: He wasn't the problem with Daredevil. Did he dirrct? Did he write the script? Place blame where its due.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

Yeah we have been here so may times before. Sorry, OP. This is very much a dupe thread.

2014 called they want their thread back.....

Oh snap XD