Why Batman is (ridiculously) overrated

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brolytard1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@thisis5ive said:

I'm catching so much flak for this. But I'd rather say this than not, because it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness.

BATMAN IS OVERRATED.

why? If there is EVER a battle in which Batman participates, he wins- not based on any form of logic or stats, but simply because "Batman's prep wins". I've seen it over and over again, from figures like Boba Fett to people like Darksied. So let's set the record straight: Batman's prep cannot make up for everything in a battle. He has, in his career, fought a huge list of AWESOMELY developed minor villains, most of whom rely on intellect. When he is involved with those who outclass him, he is beaten (See: Deathstroke). I've seen people simply say he outpreps Superman, thus he wins. This, unless he is given a piece of Kryptonite, cannot be. Batman is an epic character. He will forever be one of my favorites. However, he simply cannot contend with people MUCH HIGHER than above his human level of ability, and it's been proven. Secondly, Batman isn't even a genius on the same level as Tony Stark. Sure, he's a genius/tactical mastermind, but has he built his own suit of armor with his resources? No. He has not. Has he built his own tech or demonstrated the ability to build (and I quote) "a time warper" machine? No. He has an awesome backstory and an awesome character, and is resourceful as l geddout, but his entire allure is based upon the fact that he is human and has weaknesses and CAN AND IS beaten by other superpowered villains. His story is one of overcoming odds stacked against him. He cannot beat higher class superpowered individuals. He is mortal. And his prep is not invincible. Perhaps I've bashed on Batman too much here, but I'm just saying: his ability to prep is overrated. And it is not a magic wand. To give you an idea, I'll say that he is like (and I admit I pick a bone with this one) the Boba Fett of the DC universe. If the two were to compete, I'd pick Fett- who has beaten and beats higher-class beings on a regular basis, but also has a great reputation for prep. I do not, however, presume that Fett could kill Luke Skywalker (the Superman of the SW universe), even with a large amount of prep, as Luke has proven to be entirely invincible by the end of Dark Empire. That's what I'm saying here: Batman IS awesome. And I will usually pick him over others of his tier (heck, even Captain America with min. prep), but in the end, he is mortal.

End rant. Let the flaming begin.

Yes. Overcoming odds stacked against him, which includes higher class superpowered individuals.

The reason Batman was beaten by superpowered villains was obviously the fact that he did not prepare for that or he simply didn't have the time to.

Read Dark Knight Returns. Batman defeated Superman with prep.

Please explain how Batman would beat a Superpowered Villian on Superman's level. The only reason he defeated Superman was because he faked his own death, and had the Green Arrow help him out. Not to mention Superman didn't even want to fight Batman. And let's not forget that Batman has never beaten Superman in canon.

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please explain how Batman would beat a Superpowered Villian on Superman's level. The only reason he defeated Superman was because he faked his own death, and had the Green Arrow help him out. Not to mention Superman didn't even want to fight Batman. And let's not forget that Batman has never beaten Superman in canon.

Define canon.

The DC stories consists of multiverses. We have vampire Batman, Batman stories set in the early 20th century, Harvey Dent as Batman, etc etc. There also exists a Batman who killed Superman with kryptonite. They are all canon because they belong to the multiverse.

The idea of Batman is that he is a human who managed to overcome impossible odds. That impossible odds also included beating super-powered beings like Superman in a fight. It doesn't matter whether the mainstream version of Batman accomplished that feat. All it matters is that it is possible for him to do so.

There are also criticisms that Batman beats Superman only because he had kryptonite, hence "kryptonite defeated Superman, not Batman". Well, kryptonite is a tool. Can I give a similar analogy that its correct for me to say that its the gun that killed the victim, not the murderer?

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say the Dark Knight Rises is the most overrated piece of fiction on any comic site. It's boring, stupid, and just all around horrible in every way. I think the only reason it got a good rep is because it started off an environment of dark batman stories, some of which were actually good, such as Long Halloween.

If we're talking about "prep" being when Superman gives him a piece of Kryptonite in case he goes rogue, that's hardly a legitimate example. I feel it necessary to say that I hate Superman as a character. He is so one dimensional it's not even funny. In terms of character, Batman will win a lot of the time. However, in canonical terms, one does not simply prep your way into invincibility or beat said invincibility when it involves laser vision, x ray vision, actual invincibility, and the strength to move planets. (But really. As an author, Superman is a Mary Sue and distasteful.)

Read Superman: For Tomorrow, Red Son, All-Star Superman, etc.

Brolytard1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brolytard1337 said:

Define canon.

The DC stories consists of multiverses. We have vampire Batman, Batman stories set in the early 20th century, Harvey Dent as Batman, etc etc. There also exists a Batman who killed Superman with kryptonite. They are all canon because they belong to the multiverse.

The idea of Batman is that he is a human who managed to overcome impossible odds. That impossible odds also included beating super-powered beings like Superman in a fight. It doesn't matter whether the mainstream version of Batman accomplished that feat. All it matters is that it is possible for him to do so.

There are also criticisms that Batman beats Superman only because he had kryptonite, hence "kryptonite defeated Superman, not Batman". Well, kryptonite is a tool. Can I give a similar analogy that its correct for me to say that its the gun that killed the victim, not the murderer?

Canon is simple to explain really. It's part of DC's official history. I could draw Superman farting a supernova at batman and saying "herp derp i win lol", and would it not be canon in your eyes? Of course not, because it wasn't by a DC writer, and DC didn't make it an official story. And since Batman can beat anyone, explain how he would beat someone like Doomsday please.

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canon is simple to explain really. It's part of DC's official history. I could draw Superman farting a supernova at batman and saying "herp derp i win lol", and would it not be canon in your eyes? Of course not, because it wasn't by a DC writer, and DC didn't make it an official story. And since Batman can beat anyone, explain how he would beat someone like Doomsday please.

Well, never said Batman can theoretically beat anyone, just those that are not omniscient.

Also it is still arguable that Batman "never" beat Superman, DC Writer Grant Morrison came up with the Tower of Babel storyline where Ra's Al Ghul stole his counter Justice League plans.

He could beat Doomsday if he thinks out of the box, he's just unlikely to beat Doomsday in a straight-up fight. Thinking out of the box, as in, doing something like letting Doomsday fall into a trap where he gets sucked into a black hole, along those lines.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By flashback0180

because he is batman

THE KING OF PIS

No one can claim his throne
No one can claim his throne

'._.'

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'd say the Dark Knight Rises is the most overrated piece of fiction on any comic site. It's boring, stupid, and just all around horrible in every way. I think the only reason it got a good rep is because it started off an environment of dark batman stories, some of which were actually good, such as Long Halloween.

@thisis5ive said:

If we're talking about "prep" being when Superman gives him a piece of Kryptonite in case he goes rogue, that's hardly a legitimate example. I feel it necessary to say that I hate Superman as a character. He is so one dimensional it's not even funny. In terms of character, Batman will win a lot of the time. However, in canonical terms, one does not simply prep your way into invincibility or beat said invincibility when it involves laser vision, x ray vision, actual invincibility, and the strength to move planets. (But really. As an author, Superman is a Mary Sue and distasteful.)

Read Superman: For Tomorrow, Red Son, All-Star Superman, etc.

It's The Dark Knight Returns not Rises and Long Halloween was dismal Jeph Loeb. TDKR is one of the greatest books of all time,just cause Batman beat Superman doesn't change that fact,it happened over 30 years ago accept it and move on.

And For Tomorrow is hardly a good Superman story.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By force_echo

@entropy_aegis: Why was Long Halloween dismal Jeph Loeb? It was one of the best storylines in Batman history, with Commissioner Gordon and Batman forging their relationship, an actually engaging detective story, it was basically the DKR movie except even better. I don't understand why you don't like it just because Loeb wrote it, have you even read it? And I don't dislike Dark Knight Returns because of Superman (even though it is a blatant example of Miller's hate of Superman) I dislike it because it's filled with boring action, almost no characterizations, cliches out of a freaking Michael Bay movie, and it just try's too hard to be dark and gritty. Batman shooting a helicopter down with a hunting rifle? Lolwut.

Do you have any reason why it's not a good Superman story? It deals with the control of power, Superman's greatest inner conflict. It's probably one of the best Superman stories ever written with themes like the control of power, sacrifice, his relationship with Lois, his identity as an alien, inner conflict between his desire to be good and his desire to control his power, and it had some good action to boot.

WenjunChew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WenjunChew

@entropy_aegis: Why was Long Halloween dismal Jeph Loeb? It was one of the best storylines in Batman history, with Commissioner Gordon and Batman forging their relationship, an actually engaging detective story, it was basically the DKR movie except even better. I don't understand why you don't like it just because Loeb wrote it, have you even read it? And I don't dislike Dark Knight Returns because of Superman (even though it is a blatant example of Miller's hate of Superman) I dislike it because it's filled with boring action, almost no characterizations, cliches out of a freaking Michael Bay movie, and it just try's too hard to be dark and gritty. Batman shooting a helicopter down with a hunting rifle? Lolwut.

I remembered reading somewhere that Frank Miller doesn't actually hate Superman, he liked him, its just that you can't have Batman losing in a Batman story.

Frank Miller however hate other superheroes outside of Superman IIRC.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have any reason why it's not a good Superman story? It deals with the control of power, Superman's greatest inner conflict. It's probably one of the best Superman stories ever written with themes like the control of power, sacrifice, his relationship with Lois, his identity as an alien, inner conflict between his desire to be good and his desire to control his power, and it had some good action to boot.

An engaging detective story that made no sense and collapsed,misused cast of villains who were only there cause Loeb wanted them to be.The book has a ridiculous number of flaws in it and you cant even overlook them cause the good bits were blatant Godfather/Hannibal ripoffs or inspired from other Batman stories. TDKR was created long before Micheal Bay made cliche action movies,the action was incredible the 2 fights with Mutant Leader and Superman were epic,the Joker fight was epic,the Batmobile was awesome,the characterization was spot on and shooting down a helicopter isn't worse than beating freaking Grundy h2h,this is just you nitpiking. I dont see people complaining about Court of Owls being overrated cause Batman pulled himself out of a jet engine nacelle.

For Tomorrow is a decent story,I was just surprised to see it being mentioned along the likes of Red Son and All Star Superman.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DarthAznable
No Caption Provided

I swear people complain about Batman more than fanboys glorify him now a days.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Stormdriven

Why is Batman overrated?

BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I swear people complain about Batman more than fanboys glorify him now a days.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo said:

An engaging detective story that made no sense and collapsed,misused cast of villains who were only there cause Loeb wanted them to be.The book has a ridiculous number of flaws in it and you cant even overlook them cause the good bits were blatant Godfather/Hannibal ripoffs or inspired from other Batman stories. TDKR was created long before Micheal Bay made cliche action movies,the action was incredible the 2 fights with Mutant Leader and Superman were epic,the Joker fight was epic,the Batmobile was awesome,the characterization was spot on and shooting down a helicopter isn't worse than beating freaking Grundy h2h,this is just you nitpiking. I dont see people complaining about Court of Owls being overrated cause Batman pulled himself out of a jet engine nacelle.

For Tomorrow is a decent story,I was just surprised to see it being mentioned along the likes of Red Son and All Star Superman.

How did it make no sense and collapse? And what villain was only there because Loeb wanted them to be? In fact, every villain was woven into the plot in a way that made perfect sense with the main villain of the story, and furthermore every introduction of a villain kind of served as its own twist, making the story even more interesting every time. It's probably one of the best detective thrillers ever wrote, not only that, it chronicles the tragic fall of Harvey Dent and the Trinity of Gotham-- Batman, Dent, and Gordon, and their trials and troubles and most importantly their will to do what's right for Gotham. So it's basically the Dark Knight Rises WITH an awesome interesting detective story to boot. I don't know where you're getting the Hannibal/Godfather ripoffs from, there's literally no part of he comic that has anything to do with the Godfather. I haven't seen Hannibal so maybe that, but the mob has ultimately a pretty trivial role in the novel.

What? Those fights were absolutely stupid, all they dealt with was Batman being gritty and brutal. Not a single time did he use any real cunning to defeat his enemies. It's just a load of overly gritty crap featuring the least nuanced Batman ever written. Like seriously, this Batman is like the Punisher before Garth Ennis made him an interesting character, it's just about a dude fighting criminals and beating up Superman because Miller doesn't like capes and screw fascist America MAN! Yeah, Sci-Fi dystopia! So cool! It's like 1984 without the nuance and characters that made 1984 genuinely scary or interesting! But yeah, the Dark Knight Returns is awesome because of the freaking batmobile, and because Batman totally beats the shit out of some people. Rad. The Dark Knight Returns is literally the worst of what the 90s did to comic books wrapped in the skin of a Batman story.

For Tomorrow is probably the best Superman story I've ever read that's actually canon to pre-new 52 supes. Red Son and All star weren't.

dreambig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said OP.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Batman overrated?

BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN

No Caption Provided

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Answer: over-exposure. No other DC character has had as much spotlight as him for the past 3 decades. Before, Superman was DC's flagship hero. But don't get me wrong, they're both my favorite comic book characters.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

*sigh* so basically the GD topics threads are just

• STOP DBZ BAN!!!
  • BATMAN(or Someone associated to him) SUCKS!!!
  • Spam
  • and questions that could be answer with google searches.

A year later and it's still this.

SentryVoid616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Read/Watch what you like, have whatever favourites you want, dont waste your time in putting down other characters u may not like as much, because guess what....its probably another persons favourite! to much negativity in the world anyways!

Be nice to each other!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is ridiculous. Batman never over/underrates anything. He's rated perfectly of course due to prep.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is difference between overrated and popular for good reason. Batman is pretty popular for good reason but I kinda agree that some people misunderstood batman character

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Like everything else wrong with Batman, I blame Miller.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@thisis5ive: One of my favorite heroes for sure. I do love Boba Fett but with prep if Batman lost I would be worried but yea even though he beat Superman with prep without kryptonite he really shouldn't have.

I really think there should be a cut off power level where he can't possible win with prep.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like everything else wrong with Batman, I blame Miller.

There's nothing wrong and no one to blame.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TyrantComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thisis5ive: I think batman is a solar system buster last I checked lol

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Street Levers without healing factors or hax powers are overrated period.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: exactly.

If anything I think batman is underrated, people think he needs prep to beat captain America. With sufficient prep time I'd say he could out do mid tiers. But there is a limit.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By uugieboogie

@lukehero said:

Street Levers without healing factors or hax powers are overrated period.