Why arent there more Black Superhero movies?

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By LightBright
@.o0Johnny0o.: I totally understand what you're saying. I'm always looking for quality story telling and character development in my comics. The issues about racism/sexism are zeroed in on in comics all the time. People don't take into account that they should be demanding more intelligent content before anything else. It can all only go uphill from there. Quality should always be key. 

Ego boosting's what I do. *pats on back*
Avatar image for president_stark
President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By President Stark

There aren't any black superheroes that are that popular.They first have to become popular in the medium in which they were created.

AquaDCman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103  Edited By AquaDCman

I don't know what your talking about. I mean of course they don't have their own movie, but neither do white super heros. Listen up real quick. In almost every superhero movie there is a white guy and his friend partner or enemy is black. I mean black people are in many things. Smallville has Cyborg, Iron Man 2 has War Machine, Teen Titans has Cyborg also, Avengers Earths Mightiest Heros has Black Panther, Blade has his own trilogy. Static Shock has his own cartoon, John Stewart is in the JLU cartoon. Hemdall (the bifrost keeper) in Thor is black. Not to mention there are tons of comics with Black people so don't get all Anti Racist here, because no one is being racist. I mean even Nick Fury in all the new based on Avenger movies, is Black.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

Because Steel scared the crap out of everyone and now they're afraid to try again.

Captain America movies were worse than Steel but they still kept making superhero movies with white heroes.....

Also Blade was successful as a movie franchise....

The new Captain America film although average at best is way better then Steel was. Plus white actors have had more success in Hollywood films then blacks as messed up as that is.

The point was that the old Captain America films were worse than steel and yet they still continued to remake the Captain America movies. Steel has yet to be remade even though they could make a much better film, just as they did with cap. The first Captain America movie was much, much worse than Steel.

Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Fox, Laurence fishburn,Wesley Snipes, Forest Whitaker, Don cheadle and Cuba Gooding Jr. have all had just as much if not more success than many of their white counterparts proving that black actors can be successful in hollywood and generate massive revenues when given the opportunities. It is the industry which chooses not to use black actors in movies for other reasons, none of which have to do with economic viability as it has been shown time and time again that black actors can have blockbuster movies.

I agree and did not say that black actors could not make successful movies as it has been proven. And Hollywood should use more actors besides whites in movies. But Hollywood will proably never change so it is what it is. Just have to hope for the best I guess.

You stated that white actors have had more success than black actors in hollywood. This is not the case. they have had more roles, yes.But I did not take your statement to mean success in terms of roles.

Hollywood will change when whites become the minority around 2040 and before then as "minorities" are starting to create and fund their own projects. When non-white businessmen garner distribution power then it will indeed change immensely also.

I would love to see Will Smith buy the temporary movie rights to Steel and create something on par with the Iron Man movie or better. As well as others in the industry creating black superhero movies on their own.

I hope this does indeed happen my friend.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By weaponmaster

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

Because Steel scared the crap out of everyone and now they're afraid to try again.

Captain America movies were worse than Steel but they still kept making superhero movies with white heroes.....

The new Captain America film although average at best is way better then Steel was. Plus white actors have had more success in Hollywood films then blacks as messed up as that is.

The point was that the old Captain America films were worse than steel and yet they still continued to remake the Captain America movies. Steel has yet to be remade even though they could make a much better film, just as they did with cap. The first Captain America movie was much, much worse than Steel.

Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Fox, Laurence fishburn,Wesley Snipes, Forest Whitaker, Don cheadle and Cuba Gooding Jr. have all had just as much if not more success than many of their white counterparts proving that black actors can be successful in hollywood and generate massive revenues when given the opportunities. It is the industry which chooses not to use black actors in movies for other reasons, none of which have to do with economic viability as it has been shown time and time again that black actors can have blockbuster movies.

I agree and did not say that black actors could not make successful movies as it has been proven. And Hollywood should use more actors besides whites in movies. But Hollywood will proably never change so it is what it is. Just have to hope for the best I guess.

You stated that white actors have had more success than black actors in hollywood. This is not the case. they have had more roles, yes.But I did not take your statement to mean success in terms of roles.

Hollywood will change when whites become the minority around 2040 and before then as "minorities" are starting to create and fund their own projects. When non-white businessmen garner distribution power then it will indeed change immensely also.

I would love to see Will Smith buy the temporary movie rights to Steel and create something on par with the Iron Man movie or better. As well as others in the industry creating black superhero movies on their own.

As do I my friend. As do I.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

It should if whites do become the minorities themselves in 2040. So who is gonna be the majority then blacks?
Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Glabal500

because no one gives a fu*k about black superheroes...

sorry, not trying to be a racist, but its the truth

lol at Steel being mentioned, movie sucked, it was basically a iron man rip-off

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

There aren't any black superheroes that are that popular.They first have to become popular in the medium in which they were created.

Not at all true. Hancock did not first have to become popular within the comic book industry and that movie, love it (as I do) or hate it, grossed 227 million dollars.

With that stated there are many black superheroes that are popular including Black Panther, Storm, War Machine, Cyborg, and others.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By weaponmaster

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

It should if whites do become the minorities themselves in 2040. So who is gonna be the majority then blacks?

Hispanics of course will be the majority sometime between 2040 and 2050.

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

@President Stark said:

Not at all true. Hancock did not first have to become popular within the comic book industry and that movie, love it (as I do) or hate it, grossed 227 million dollars.

With that stated there are many black superheroes that are popular including Black Panther, Storm, War Machine, Cyborg, and others.

Hancock is a made up black superhero. Played by an A-list actor.This doesn't relate at all to what I am saying. I'm only speaking in terms of heroes that already exist making the leap to films.
Black Panther,Storm,War Machine,& Cyborg are popular in the sense that they have some sort of fanbase and we know who they are but in terms of making their respective companies money...they aren't on the same level as caucasian superheroes. Black Panther is the only one of them that has an ongoing and he's almost always on the that line between success and cancellation.
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

@weaponmaster: I suppose, yes. It was all about timing: admid a serious debate on the internet all I see is a pause with 'I don't do lol' It'll make most people crack a smile

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

Oh so blacks will remain the minority....and since Hancock was based off Superman, I think a black superhero film based off Batman could work with the right cast, crew and making it serious aswell.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By weaponmaster

@Glabal500 said:

because no one gives a fu*k about black superheroes...

sorry, not trying to be a racist, but its the truth

lol at Steel being mentioned, movie sucked, it was basically a iron man rip-off

Many people care about black superheroes. just because you do not give a care about them does not mean noone does, only that you don't. truth and opinion are two different things entirely.

you are not being racist as there is only one human race. You are, however, being bigoted and inconsiderate.

The first Captain America sucked as well.

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Glabal500

@weaponmaster: but at least the "first captain america" was based off a popular character and original, and not a iron man ripoff, with a black face..... like Steel was

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@Glabal500 said:

@weaponmaster: but at least the "first captain america" was based off a popular character and original, and not a iron man ripoff, with a black face..... like Steel was

Alot of superheroes are ripoffs of others. Green Arrow is somewhat of a ripoff of Batman.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

@President Stark said:

Hancock is a made up black superhero. Played by an A-list actor.This doesn't relate at all to what I am saying. I'm only speaking in terms of heroes that already exist making the leap to films.Black Panther,Storm,War Machine,& Cyborg are popular in the sense that they have some sort of fanbase and we know who they are but in terms of making their respective companies money...they aren't on the same level as caucasian superheroes. Black Panther is the only one of them that has an ongoing and he's almost always on the that line between success and cancellation.

Yes. it is germane to what you stated. Hancock did not need a fanbase to be a successful film and a film about Black panther played by an A-list actor could do just as well if not better. Your statement was simply incorrect.

Blade was not on the same level as caucasian heroes in terms of "making their respective companies money" either and yet he had a successful trilogy.

Black Panthers success in terms of his own ongoing can be attributed to many factors. A great writer in tandem with a great artist can make any series successful.

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Glabal500

@Mr. Smiths: black superheroes just do not appeal to the general comic audience (which is dominated by white males).... im not saying it would be a bad movie, or a good movie, cause im sure it could be good (see blade) or suck (see spawn) but i don't think it will appeal to the "white male" as much, and won't make that much money

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By weaponmaster

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@Mr. Smiths said:

@weaponmaster said:

@JediXMan said:

Oh so blacks will remain the minority....and since Hancock was based off Superman, I think a black superhero film based off Batman could work with the right cast, crew and making it serious aswell.

Blacks will remain a minority, not the minority as there are many others and whites will be added to that list of minorities.

Black Panther would make a great batman-esque movie.

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@Glabal500 said:

@Mr. Smiths: black superheroes just do not appeal to the general comic audience (which is dominated by white males).... im not saying it would be a bad movie, or a good movie, cause im sure it could be good (see blade) or suck (see spawn) but i don't think it will appeal to the "white male" as much, and won't make that much money

Hancock made alot of money so it can happen. So did Blade aswell.
Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Glabal500

@Mr. Smiths: Hancock did gross more then cap, thor, and iron man... but that might have to do with will smith being in the movie though....

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By difficlus

@Jnr6Lil said:

@difficlus said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Kairan1979 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@difficlus said:

Its not just black its other races too. Come on...

Well stereotypes come into effect also.

The Japanese Comic Characters usually are Yakuza, Samurai, Soul-Katana, Nerds, etc.

Hispanic Characters are usually criminals.

And let's not even say anything about horrible stereotyped Russian characters.

I think the Black Panther is about the ONLY marketable black character that could make it's way to the big screen and be successful.

I disagree.

Yeah most of the Russian Characters are Communist Spys/Super-Soldiers.

so part of the russian mafia.

Not exactly.

i mean to say or not so, i editted it. sorry...

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Mr. Smiths
@Glabal500 said:

@Mr. Smiths: Hancock did gross more then cap, thor, and iron man... but that might have to do with will smith being in the movie though....

True...but Blade also made money. Might not more then Ironman, Cap and thor but still made good money.
Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Glabal500

but besides all this "race" talk.. what i really want to see is some of marvel's cosmic characters, getting off earth based heroes... like i would like to see a "inhumans" movie, or a silver surfer movie (rise of the silver surfer was crap) that is sort of set in space, with other cosmic powers and such, much more then a black panther movie imo.... and BP is one of my top 5 marvel heroes

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Mr. Smiths

I love to see an Expendables like Marvel film with an all black superhero cast....don't they have a Black Avengers group? Or did somebody make that up as a joke? 

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

Yes. it is german to what you stated. Hancock did not need a fanbase to be a successful film and a film about Black panther played by an A-list actor could do just as well if not better. Your statement was simply incorrect.

Blade was not on the same level as caucasian heroes in terms of "making their respective companies money" either and yet he had a successful trilogy.

Black Panthers success in terms of his own ongoing can be attributed to many factors. A great writer in tandem with a great artist can make any series successful.

What you're saying doesn't really have much to do with what I am saying. First of all Hancock is a superhero created by Will Smith. The character has no attachment to any comic publishing company and therefore can be the first priority of the person who created him. In the case of characters who already appear in comics they have to wait in line. My point was never that a movie starring a black hero wouldn't sell because they aren't that popular in the comics. My point was that Marvel or any other company that publishes comics don't see their black heroes as a priority as far as trying to sell them outside of their books because they aren't as popular as the caucasian characters they are already making large amounts of money on. Black Panther is a good character in, in fact one of my favorites and whether a film with him in it will sell or not is beyond me, but how Marvel sees it..they already have several more recognizable heroes that they could milk instead of trying to sell one that people who don't read comics have never heard of. 

I don't know why Black Panther's ongoing doesn't sell, I personally enjoy the book but again if writing is the issue that goes back to priorities. Marvel is going to put their best writers on characters that are already their cash cows and everyone else gets the leftovers.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By weaponmaster

@Glabal500 said:

Why are you putting the first captain america in quotes? Just curious.

And Captain America was a rip-off of The Shield, with blond hair...so your point is? Oh. Steel had a black face. Got ya.

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By President Stark
@Mr. Smiths said:
don't they have a Black Avengers group?
No.
Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Glabal500

@weaponmaster: technically you are incorrect

Captain America actually debuted in December 1940.. . it just wasn't cover-dated until March 1941...

The Shield debuted in January 1941... so to be technical

Captain America came out 1 month before The Shield

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

Yes. it is germane to what you stated. Hancock did not need a fanbase to be a successful film and a film about Black panther played by an A-list actor could do just as well if not better. Your statement was simply incorrect.

What you're saying doesn't really have much to do with what I am saying. First of all Hancock is a superhero created by Will Smith. The character has no attachment to any comic publishing company and therefore can be the first priority of the person who created him. In the case of characters who already appear in comics they have to wait in line. My point was never that a movie starring a black hero wouldn't sell because they aren't that popular in the comics. My point was that Marvel or any other company that publishes comics don't see their black heroes as a priority as far as trying to sell them outside of their books because they aren't as popular as the caucasian characters they are already making large amounts of money on. Black Panther is a good character in, in fact one of my favorites and whether a film with him in it will sell or not is beyond me, but how Marvel sees it..they already have several more recognizable heroes that they could milk instead of trying to sell one that people who don't read comics have never heard of. I don't know why Black Panther's ongoing doesn't sell, I personally enjoy the book but again if writing is the issue that goes back to priorities. Marvel is going to put their best writers on characters that are already their cash cows and everyone else gets the leftovers.

You stated that a black superhero had to be popular first alluding to this being the criteria in which it warranted making a movie about said hero. You were simply incorrect. As I stated Blade was not nearly as popular and recognizable as many of the white superheroes that have yet to have a movie made of them so your point and your reasoning are erroneous as profitable movies can be made from less popular and recognizable heroes as has been proven. You will, of course, post longer and longer replies to avoid accepting this.

There are a lot more black people and hispanics and other "minorities" keeping the industry alive than you realize. The prudent thing to do would be to put some of your best writers and artist on projects that appeal to these demographics in order to maximize profits. You will, I am certain, argue against this point ad nauseum as well.

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Glabal500

actually i am sorry.... The Sheild came out in January 1940, so about a year before Captain America....

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

You stated that a black superhero had to be popular first alluding to this being the criteria in which it warranted making a movie about said hero. You were simply incorrect. As I stated Blade was not nearly as popular and recognizable as many of the white superheroes that have yet to have a movie made of them so your point and your reasoning are erroneous as profitable movies can be made from less popular and recognizable heroes as has been proven. You will, of course, post longer and longer replies to avoid accepting this.

There are a lot more black people and hispanics and other "minorities" keeping the industry alive than you realize. The prudent thing to do would be to put some of your best writers and artist on projects that appeal to these demographics in order to maximize profits. You will, I am certain, argue against this point ad nauseum as well.

I stated that a superhero had to first be popular "in the medium they were created".Which is why Hancock doesn't fit. Clearly I was talking about comics. The question is about Black Superheroes. Last time I checked, Blade wasn't a superhero. His films and his comics are based on Vampires which is a popular topic in many forms of entertainment. 

I'm not disputing with you whether minorities keep the industry alive of not. The fact is caucasian superheroes are more popular and more well known than ones that aren't. That is a fact. If by "projects that appeal to these demographics in order to maximize profits" you mean projects based on minority heroes. Marvel and DC have pretty much never done that. They put minimal effort into their minority characters and they always have.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By weaponmaster

@Glabal500 said:

Captain America actually debuted in December 1940.. . it just wasn't cover-dated until March 1941...

The Shield debuted in Pep comics in January, 1940. Sorry. You are simply mistaken.Technically as well as literally and actually.

The Shield also started heading Pep Comics readers club from #15 In may of 1941 which is where your misinformation may have stemmed from.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By weaponmaster

@weaponmaster said:

@Glabal500 said:

The Shield debuted in Pep comics in January, 1940. Sorry. You are simply mistaken.Technically as well as literally and actually.

The Shield also started heading Pep Comics readers club from #15 In may of 1941 which is where your misinformation may have stemmed from.

@Glabal500 said:

actually i am sorry.... The Sheild came out in January 1940, so about a year before Captain America....

I would have to concur with your self assessment.

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

I stated that a superhero had to first be popular "in the medium they were created".Which is why Hancock doesn't fit. Clearly I was talking about comics. The question is about Black Superheroes. Last time I checked, Blade wasn't a superhero. His films and his comics are based on Vampires which is a popular topic in many forms of entertainment. I'm not disputing with you whether minorities keep the industry alive of not. The fact is caucasian superheroes are more popular and more well known than ones that aren't. That is a fact. If by "projects that appeal to these demographics in order to maximize profits" you mean projects based on minority heroes. Marvel and DC have pretty much never done that. They put minimal effort into their minority characters and they always have.

I know what you stated. Hancock is relevant because you don't have to have a popular superhero to have a fiscally viable and profitable comic book. You were wrong.

Now you are arguing irrelevant semantics concerning Blade being a superhero, anti-hero, or what have you. The issue is that a comic book character who was not a recognizable and as popular as many white characters got a movie made before they did and it did very well and that your statement and logic were erroneous.

Black superheroes could become just as well known and popular if similar effort were put into them. That is also a fact. And yes I realize that marvel and dc do not put a lot of effort into minority characters which is why I suggested that they put their best writers and artists to the task i.e, put more effort into them...

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Glabal500

@weaponmaster: maybe marvel and dc don't put that much effort into black characters, cause no one cares about black characters that much....

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By weaponmaster

@Glabal500 said:

@weaponmaster: maybe marvel and dc don't put that much effort into black characters, cause no one cares about black characters that much....

Maybe noone cares about black characters that much because marvel and dc don't put much effort into black characters....

See how that works?

With that stated, there are many comic book readers who care about black characters. Just because you don't does not mean that noone does.

Edit: I actually explained this to you earlier.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

I stated that a superhero had to first be popular "in the medium they were created".Which is why Hancock doesn't fit. Clearly I was talking about comics. The question is about Black Superheroes. Last time I checked, Blade wasn't a superhero. His films and his comics are based on Vampires which is a popular topic in many forms of entertainment. I'm not disputing with you whether minorities keep the industry alive of not. The fact is caucasian superheroes are more popular and more well known than ones that aren't. That is a fact. If by "projects that appeal to these demographics in order to maximize profits" you mean projects based on minority heroes. Marvel and DC have pretty much never done that. They put minimal effort into their minority characters and they always have.

I know what you stated. Hancock is relevant because you don't have to have a popular superhero to have a fiscally viable and profitable comic book. You were wrong.

Now you are arguing irrelevant semantics concerning Blade being a superhero, anti-hero, or what have you. The issue is that a comic book character who was not a recognizable and as popular as many white characters got a movie made before they did and it did very well and that your statement and logic were erroneous.

Black superheroes could become just as well known and popular if similar effort were put into them. That is also a fact. And yes I realize that marvel and dc do not put a lot of effort into minority characters which is why I suggested that they put their best writers and artists to the task i.e, put more effort into them...

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Glabal500

@weaponmaster: you care about black characters cause your black.... but other then that not alot of people care about them, the only 2 black characters that people tend to care about, in marvel, anyways is storm and t'challa other then that no one gives a fu*k...

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

Hancock has nothing to do with what I said. You can try and fit him in where ever you want but Hancock's success has nothing to do with my point or anything I said. I never suggested that a character couldn't sell without already being popular. My point was only that for black superheroes that are already appearing in comics they would have to first be popular to even been on the companies radar to even get a film in the first place. In Blade's case he's had several ongoings and been in alot of comics based just on him, many black superheroes don't have that luxury. They don't have their own books, they don't have their own villains, etc. If Marvel isn't conformable even trying to give a character an ongoing book..how would they have enough material for a film? A character like Hancock was created specifically for that film so he doesn't have those things to hold him back.

Blade not being a superhero isn't semantics because there is a difference in the way he was sold to the public as opposed to the way someone like Spider-Man who is actually a superhero is sold. People didn't know Blade as an anti-hero, a superhero,or even a Marvel character until those films came out so they were basically selling a premise of a character that was based on a subject that is already popular in film and not as a representative of Marvel comics.  

What Black superheroes could become is neither here nor there with me. The fact is they aren't that popular now. 
Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#139  Edited By Mega_spidey01

well the reason black, hispanic indian, asian, heroes don't sell is due to racism still exist in u.s. people can't really identify with minorities  characters unless their badass, come from a hard life or they get a family to help them. 
Spawn should have been made into a great movie but because not being taken seriously and as a franchise. Spawn failed 
black panther didn't work from the get-go because he 's a king and he's from africa. most people cant relate or identify with that so he became the new daredevil like character in man without fear. 
luke cage- he black expoltation character just angry and tough all the time like samuel l.jackson in his movies most of the time. 
war machine no strong character development outside or without ironman    
blade just a vampire hunter- should have been just a hunter like sam and dean from supernatural. 
its the way the world works. 

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By weaponmaster

@Glabal500 said:

@weaponmaster: you care about black characters cause your black.... but other then that not alot of people care about them, the only 2 black characters that people tend to care about, in marvel, anyways is storm and t'challa other then that no one gives a fu*k...

There are a lot of black people who read comics and there are non-blacks that care about black characters as well. As I stated, just because you don't care about black characters does not mean that noone does, it only means that you dont. I also care about white characters as well. Is that because I am black also? No, it is because I am an enlightened individual who does not dislike a character because of their skin color as some do.

Again, it seems as though I must continually reiterate this point as you seem to have difficulty comprehending it: Just because you dont care does not mean that noone else cares.

Also Black Panther and Storm are featured more prominently which lends credence to my statement that if they put effort into other characters even more people would like them and actually debunks your inital contrary statement.

And it is spelled than not then as per the context in which you are using it. just an FYI.

Edit: You keep going over the same things you have stated prior to this. Are you inebriated?

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By President Stark
@Glabal500 said:

I think War Machine and Luke Cage are alot more relevant than Storm.
President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By President Stark
@Mega_spidey01 said:

well the reason black, hispanic indian, asian, heroes don't sell is due to racism still exist in u.s. people can't really identify with minorities  characters unless their badass, come from a hard life or they get a family to help them. Spawn should have been made into a great movie but because not being taken seriously and as a franchise. Spawn failed black panther didn't work from the get-go because he 's a king and he's from africa. most people cant relate or identify with that so he became the new daredevil like character in man without fear. luke cage- he black expoltation character just angry and tough all the time like samuel l.jackson in his movies most of the time. war machine no strong character development outside or without ironman    blade just a vampire hunter- should have been just a hunter like sam and dean from supernatural. its the way the world works. 

I don't disagree with your point because I do think racism has something to do with why many black characters don't get more films or even the chance to shine in comics. I don't believe though that Black Panther took over Daredevil's post in Hell's Kitchen because that is more relatable. I think writers have more trouble creating stories for him as the King of Wakanda than they do when he's just doing the street level thing because as the King he has a bigger obligation. Taking over Daredevil's post he can simply be what he is: A street level hero.
weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

Hancock has nothing to do with what I said. You can try and fit him in where ever you want but Hancock's success has nothing to do with my point or anything I said. I never suggested that a character couldn't sell without already being popular. My point was only that for black superheroes that are already appearing in comics they would have to first be popular to even been on the companies radar to even get a film in the first place. In Blade's case he's had several ongoings and been in alot of comics based just on him, many black superheroes don't have that luxury. They don't have their own books, they don't have their own villains, etc. If Marvel isn't conformable even trying to give a character an ongoing book..how would they have enough material for a film? A character like Hancock was created specifically for that film so he doesn't have those things to hold him back.

Blade not being a superhero isn't semantics because there is a difference in the way he was sold to the public as opposed to the way someone like Spider-Man who is actually a superhero is sold. People didn't know Blade as an anti-hero, a superhero,or even a Marvel character until those films came out so they were basically selling a premise of a character that was based on a subject that is already popular in film and not as a representative of Marvel comics.

What Black superheroes could become is neither here nor there with me. The fact is they aren't that popular now.

Hancock has everything to do with your initial statement> You can try to squirm out of it with all of the lengthy prosylytizing in the world. Black panther has had many ,ore ongoings and appeared in many more comics than Blade. You just are the type of person who cannot admit they are wrong. There are many other white characters who have been in more ongoings than blade as well and who have appeared in many more comics than him and still have not recieved a movie which proves your premise to be false. you simply cannot admit it because of pride or insecurity or whatever.

Blade is a comic book character that is not as popular as many white character who have not gotten a movie and yet he had three made. Period. All else is a smoke screen to cover you being wrong.

Now it is neither here nor there with you huh? "That" is a relative term within the context in which you are using it. Not that either of your last senteneces are actually relevant or bring anything worthhile to the discussion.

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

Hancock has everything to do with your initial statement> You can try to squirm out of it with all of the lengthy prosylytizing in the world. Black panther has had many ,ore ongoings and appeared in many more comics than Blade. You just are the type of person who cannot admit they are wrong. There are many other white characters who have been in more ongoings than blade as well and who have appeared in many more comics than him and still have not recieved a movie which proves your premise to be false. you simply cannot admit it because of pride or insecurity or whatever.

Blade is a comic book character that is not as popular as many white character who have not gotten a movie and yet he had three made. Period. All else is a smoke screen to cover you being wrong.

Now it is neither here nor their with you huh? "That" is a relative term within the context in which you are using it. Not that either of your last senteneces are actually relevant or bring anything worthhile to the discussion.

Either you didn't understand my point or you're just arguing to be arguing. It's one or the other. Either way I'm not wasting anymore time on this.What you're saying doesn't coincide with or disprove the points I just made. 
Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#145  Edited By Kairan1979

My thoughts about the subject:
1. I'm not black, and I don't care much about comic book character race. Only if I see the things that don't make sense, like black Heimdall in the Thor movie, I'm upset.
2. @weaponmaster: is right, if enought effort is put in the movie, the character can be popular, no matter if he is Asian, Hispanic or black.
3. I wished Storm had more screen time in X-Men movies, she deserved it. Instead they focused on Rogue (one of the most butchered characters in X-Men movies, she is NOT Rogue we know and love).
4. War Machine doesn't make sense outside Iron Man movies. People will see him as Iron Man knockoff.

weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By weaponmaster

@President Stark said:

@weaponmaster said:

Now it is neither here nor their with you huh? "That" is a relative term within the context in which you are using it. Not that either of your last senteneces are actually relevant or bring anything worthhile to the discussion.

Either you didn't understand my point or you're just arguing to be arguing. It's one or the other. Either way I'm not wasting anymore time on this.What you're saying doesn't coincide with or disprove the points I just made.

It is actually the third option: I understood your points completely they were simply erroneous and illogical so I corrected you.

I accept your concession and acquiescence.

Repeating your last sentence repeatedly may actually cause you to believe it through repetition but I would not bank on it.

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By President Stark
@Kairan1979 said:
2. @weaponmaster: is right, if enought effort is put in the movie, the character can be popular, no matter if he is Asian, Hispanic or black. 3. I wished Storm had more screen time in X-Men movies, she deserved it. Instead they focused on Rogue (one of the most butchered characters in X-Men movies, she is NOT Rogue we know and love).4. War Machine doesn't make sense outside Iron Man movies. People will see him as Iron Man knockoff.
That goes without saying, anything can be good if the people who take the license are willing to take it seriously and actually put some effort into it. But it seems that Marvel especially is all about gimmicks. Just look at their comics. They will put Wolverine on 4 teams when those spots could have been saved for (not just minority characters) plenty of different characters to help grow their popularity, but they aren't going to do that. They have that small set amount of characters that always make them money and that's all they ever attempt to push.  
President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By President Stark
@weaponmaster said:

It is actually the third option: I understood your points completely they were simply erroneous and illogical so I corrected you.

I accept your concession and acquiescence.

Repeating your last sentence repeatedly may actually cause you to believe it through repetition but I would not bank on it.

You can believe this if you want. It's only reality to you.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#149  Edited By PowerHerc

@weaponmaster said:

@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Native American ones?

Why not more Middle Eastern ones?

Why not more Pacific Islander ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Homosexual ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more German ones?

Why not more French ones?

Why not more Russian ones?

Why not more Italian ones?

Why not more . . .

How is it that nobody ever seems to mention all, or most, of these (and many others I haven't listed) groups when it comes to superhero movies?

If the situations were reversed and there were as few white superhero movies as there are black superhero movies you would be singing a different tune. You will never admit it. But your views would be different concerning the issue. Period.

I would think differently if the situation was reversed and that's final, huh? Oh, and I'd never admit it, either.

Tell me more about what my actual thoughts would be under other circumstances, Oh wise and insightful weaponmaster.

C'mon, I want to hear more of your spot-on insight into what I'd really feel and think based on how well you know me and what you know about me.

Get real. Stop wasting your time pretending to know things about others that you couldn't possibly and you don't actually know (meaning the thoughts, feelings and possible reactions of other people). You come off as pompous and whiny simultaneously.

President Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By President Stark
@PowerHerc said:

You come off as pompous and whiny simultaneously.

You said what I was thinking.MINDREADER!!!!