#1 Posted by LuffyDUzumaki (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only that why haven't we gotten a black panther movie. Im not trying to sound ignorant im just curious.

#2 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

White people have always dominated other media. Why not comics?

I don't think Black Panther is known well enough to get a full movie. Definitely not a good one.

#3 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Hollywood is run by racists. Marvel will get to Black Panther eventually and started out with Blade, remember?

#4 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

There aren't enough Black Super Heroes. 

The ones that do exist are, sadly, mostly KOs of non-black heroes.  The only actually black hero I can think of that isn't a dirrect KO of another, white, super hero is cage/power man... but his "power" has pretty much been "ignored" to become a generic strong guy who is only famous because he is black. 

In all honesty, Green Lanturn John Stewart probably has the greatest chance of being a black super hero. 

Black Panther... isn't even really a super hero, in the conventional sense.  Although a Black Panther movie could be pretty darned awesome.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (24373 posts) - - Show Bio

only ones i can think of are Blade and Hancock...although i think a Mr. Terrific movie..if done right..could be awesome

#6 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

1.) Most black heroes are "token" characters. They're really not that interesting.  Milestone tried to break that standard, and did alright for it's time.
2.) Shaq. Steel. 

#7 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2316 posts) - - Show Bio

O_O static shock!!! lol I would watch a movie about him, not a fan of blank panther(cool concept but he bores me) and I want John stewart in a movie(but can't see that happening maybe a cameo)

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (83492 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Native American ones?

Why not more Middle Eastern ones?

Why not more Pacific Islander ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Homosexual ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more German ones?

Why not more French ones?

Why not more Russian ones?

Why not more Italian ones?

Why not more . . .

How is it that nobody ever seems to mention all, or most, of these (and many others I haven't listed) groups when it comes to superhero movies?

#9 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more . . .

How is it that nobody ever seems to mention all, or most, of these (and many others I haven't listed) groups when it comes to superhero movies?

Some do. I was pissed they cast Bane as white in the next Batman.
#10 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more . . .

Why not more Homo Erectus superheroes! I mean really!
#11 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

The better question is why isn't there more mainstream black movies or actors? Honestly, most black superhero's aren't very known or are token characters. And secondly, do you think white audiences will buy more black superhero movies? White people are the majority, and make up the prime audience for most American films. People generally like heroes that look like them, and that they can identify with. I don't think most black superhero backgrounds would be identifiable to mainstream white audiences. Besides Blade,there has been no major blockbuster heroes(Hancock did not do that well, Steel was awful) White audiences just don't want to see black superheroes

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (83492 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: Yes, why not, indeed? Lol.

#13 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@luffyduzumaki said:
Not only that why haven't we gotten a black panther movie. Im not trying to sound ignorant im just curious.
Hollywood's FIRST criteria for making a movie is, "Will it make money?" 

Superman, Batman, The Flash, Spider-Man, Iron man... They were here first... Right or wrong, they were here first and they're more widely known... They have a larger audience and that means more of a draw at the box office.

There ARE great black super heroes out there, but if you look at the history of comic books, most great black superheroes are still relatively new. 
Even when comic book writers finally got around to making non-white super heroes they did a rather poor job of it, as most of the heroes were horrible stereotypes.  Take a look at Power Man in his early years.  MAN that was bad...  They even had him wearing a Tiara?  What's up with that?

Things have changed quite a bit.  I've lived long enough to see it...

When I was a kid, and we had to fill out those forms in school which had our ethnic background, I can still remember there being only three choices... White, Black, and Other...   I had to check other till I was in high school...  When "Asian Pacific-Islander" was added...  I guess that was easier than putting 'Hawaiian."  Things have changed quite a bit, and they've changed for the better...  But we still have a ways to go...
#14 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
only ones i can think of are Blade and Hancock...although i think a Mr. Terrific movie..if done right..could be awesome
Actually, 2 high profile black super hero characters (3 if you count "J" as well)... with multiple sequels to one... constitutes a "not racist" tinsel town approach to super hero movies.   Oh, and SPAWN...  

So yeah... sorry, black people, but you're well represented by men in tights... although, strangely, not this year. 

you even stole Wilson Fisk's race... 
#15 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
@The Stegman said:
Actually, 2 high profile black super hero characters (3 if you count "J" as well)... with multiple sequels to one... constitutes a "not racist" tinsel town approach to super hero movies.   Oh, and SPAWN...   So yeah... sorry, black people, but you're well represented by men in tights... although, strangely, not this year.  you even stole Wilson Fisk's race... 
So, about 3 black superheroes compared to a sea of white superheroes is adequate representation? I don't think so. There needs to be better representation for all minority characters in movies. Bring some more black heroes to the screen. Bring some more Latino characters to the screen(Jaime Reyes, I'm looking at you). More Asians, etc. The minority population (as a whole) is quickly overcoming the white population, and superhero movies(movies in general) need to start reflecting that. More culturally diverse heroes. Heroes that transcend previously set racial barriers and monikers to represent a better, less racial America
#16 Edited by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:

@labarith said:

@The Stegman said:
Actually, 2 high profile black super hero characters (3 if you count "J" as well)... with multiple sequels to one... constitutes a "not racist" tinsel town approach to super hero movies.   Oh, and SPAWN...   So yeah... sorry, black people, but you're well represented by men in tights... although, strangely, not this year.  you even stole Wilson Fisk's race... 
So, about 3 black superheroes compared to a sea of white superheroes is adequate representation? I don't think so. There needs to be better representation for all minority characters in movies. Bring some more black heroes to the screen. Bring some more Latino characters to the screen(Jaime Reyes, I'm looking at you). More Asians, etc. The minority population (as a whole) is quickly overcoming the white population, and superhero movies(movies in general) need to start reflecting that. More culturally diverse heroes. Heroes that transcend previously set racial barriers and monikers to represent a better, less racial America
4 black super hero movie stars; 2 franchies, with 3 of them being early comic book big budget moves? 

Sorry - no dice.  A greater percentage of the black super heroes have been represented than white.  And that is a sad commentary on the percentage of comic book minorities, not on the racism of the movie makers. 

I do think more black super heroes would be nice.  But they need more in the comics first.
#17 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that more black superheroes in general would be nice. As for movies, Blade has been done. Sam Jackson could solo in his own Nick Fury movie, after all he signed for up to 9 films and he has only been seen in 3 so far and after Captain America and Avengers he still would only have had 5. Black Panther SO needs a movie. I vote Old Spice guy for Luke Cage!

#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

How about a well written Black character who's race isn't a gimmick or a reason for him to be in Africa.

#19 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
How about a well written Black character who's race isn't a gimmick or a reason for him to be in Africa.
Spawn? 

Static Shock?
#20 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
@TheCrowbar said:
Spawn?  Static Shock?
Spawn movie was attempted.

Static Shock, is okay, especially for the time he came up in. We ( the comicbook industry) could probably do better. Anyway, exceptions not the rule, and is the current Spawn black? I thought he was white now?
#21 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

black superheroes  just need more exposure and better writing for their characters and an interesting story. all minorities need to be represented in comics and movies. but you know hollywood what sells and make money is good enough for them. 

#22 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more . . .

Runaways is gonna be the first Marvel movie to have a lead Asian role :]
#23 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Runaways was a very solid series. 

Dirty nerfherder Latverians

#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Spawn
  • Blade
  • Blade II
  • Blade III
  • X-Men 3 (Storm was the second protagonist)
  • Steel
African American Superheroes aren't doing too bad. Of course, if we take that into account, we can't blame white people for everything.
#25 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:

@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more . . .

Some do. I was pissed they cast Bane as white in the next Batman.
Entropy_Aegis already explained to you that Bane is half-white in the comics, and his other nationality is a made up South American nation. Ergo, you have no reason to be annoyed.

As for Powerherc's comment, people like to b**** to sound enlightened.
#26 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  
Last I checked Half white does not equal white. 
Entropy_Aegis already explained to me? LMAO.
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone: No half-white doesn't equal white, but it beats half-made up country.
#28 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  
Perhaps it does. But made up countries are an aspect of the DCU not my fault.
#29 Posted by Ms. Omega (4469 posts) - - Show Bio

I would kill to see a Static movie

#30 Posted by longbowhunter (7082 posts) - - Show Bio

Why arent there more black superhero movies? Hell why arent there more black superheros?
#31 Posted by fesak (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

There are lots of black superheroes.
As for why not more movies? - $$$

#32 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
@biggkeem89 said:

@labarith said:

@The Stegman said:
4 black super hero movie stars; 2 franchies, with 3 of them being early comic book big budget moves?  Sorry - no dice.  A greater percentage of the black super heroes have been represented than white.  And that is a sad commentary on the percentage of comic book minorities, not on the racism of the movie makers.  I do think more black super heroes would be nice.  But they need more in the comics first.
4 black superheroes compared to what, about a hundred white superheroes. And out of those 4, only one really successful franchise(Blade). And you actually think that's better represented than white superheroes? Your math is off
#33 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Heimdal, Nick Fury, Steel, Blade, Static, Kingpin, War Machine etc....
#34 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern could've had John Stewart. That would've been cool.

#35 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

There has already been Spawn and the Blade trilogy its not like there has been no movies with a black lead.

#36 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

@biggkeem89 said:

The better question is why isn't there more mainstream black movies or actors? Honestly, most black superhero's aren't very known or are token characters. And secondly, do you think white audiences will buy more black superhero movies? White people are the majority, and make up the prime audience for most American films. People generally like heroes that look like them, and that they can identify with. I don't think most black superhero backgrounds would be identifiable to mainstream white audiences. Besides Blade,there has been no major blockbuster heroes(Hancock did not do that well, Steel was awful) White audiences just don't want to see black superheroes

This guy basically said it all right there. Good funny bizzarro example is from the movie White's Man Burden dealing with Turbo Man.

#37 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, another thing screwing this up, BAD superhero films with black actors/actresses, such as Steel and Catwoman. Of course that shouldn't matter—there are more than a few bad superhero films with white actors and actresses—but I'm sure in executive-logic that these films did poorly means people "don't like black superheroes" or something.

#38 Posted by RZX (2 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all about the source material and its appeal; First, writers of Black superheroes have to do a good job at writing stories that both sells the Character but connects with a wider audience; mass appeal translates into consumption and demands, that demand will convey to executive that turning the book into a movie is worthwhile. If the writers are doing a good job, then the ball is on the readers to buy and support the stories, for black superheroes, it is even more important...good stories, less stereotypes and cliches, or extrapolation...

#39 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I would watch a Static Shock movie. Maybe they could do that and work towards a Teen Titans movie since we're not going to see a Wonder Woman movie anytime soon and there are no plans for Robin to show up in a Batman movie. But they might run into the same problem Marvel has with multiple companies optioning different franchises so the characters may not be useable. It'd still watch a Teen Titans movie with only non-sidekick characters like Static, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Starfire and the like. I hope they think ahead and sneak John Henry Irons into the Superman reboot. They could try to capture the Iron Man vibe and redeem the character after the terrible Shaq movie.

#40 Posted by LuffyDUzumaki (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ms. Omega
Me too and a Runaways movie
#41 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

I've said the same thing about titles led by Black characters, they aren't supported enough by the companies.  Look at all the effort that goes into other titles and films, they don't do the same for Black characters.

#42 Posted by LuffyDUzumaki (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@THALASTDRAGON
I get what your saying but atleast can we get a spawn reboot i mean its better than nothing
#43 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense that there aren't as many black superhero movies.  I mean they are a minority of the comic characters, so it only makes sense that they get the minority of comic  book movies.  :-P At least they are keeping the same proportion, lol.

#44 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@PowerHerc said:

Why not more Asian ones?

Why not more Inuit ones?

Why not more Irish ones?

Why not more . . .

Why not more Homo Erectus superheroes! I mean really!
lmao.  
@turoksonofstone: Tom Hardy is a good actor though 
Really a lot of genre's of superheroes have been looked over. At least we got Blade.
#45 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Oye, another race thread... Sorry to the OP, but this stuff always goes bad. 

#46 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone
I think that's because Bane is white in the comics.
#47 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Also I think they're making Luke Cage Movies.
#48 Posted by Rudyftw (987 posts) - - Show Bio

Why aren't their more Hispanic Superhero movies or Asian Superhero movies? 

#49 Edited by LuffyDUzumaki (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rudyftw
Amen that too they keep remaking batman & superman over countless times why not spare one.
#50 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

The black super hero movies I'd most want to see would be: 

1. Black Panther (in Wakanda)
  2. Static Shock (origin story)
  3. Mr Terrific (Checkmate-centric movie)
  4. Isaiah Bradley Captain America (or Young Avengers starring the new Patriot)
  5. Ultimate Nick Fury
I know mine are rather, no pun intended, vanilla, but I didn't want to pick really obscure characters or knockoff characters who haven't established themselves. With the exception of Bradley, I think the above are known pretty well as black characters. And of course there are no white counterparts for Panther and Static.