why are there so many rip offs of superman?

• 86 results
Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I think there's a lot of difference between a rip off and something that draws inspiration from something as no one man can own a concept of something. If that were the case then everything in the world is basically just a rip off of something Superman included

What I was going to say. Better question might be "Why do we call everything a rip-off?" I don't know what anyone's favorite music is, but whatever it is, it drew inspiration from other musicians. That's right, your favorite band/artist is a rip-off of someone else if we're going to use the term rip-off so casually.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@sog7dc said:

@rustyroy: And a space alien baby from krypton wasn't.

Superman took inspiration from many characters, this part was a inspiration from John Carter.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If we're being completely honest here, there hasn't been a truly unique idea in any art form since the late renaissance, all the abilities found in any super hero aside from the tech guys was part of some ancient myth or a folk or fairy tale that someone came up with long before comics were invented. If you don't believe me go check out some Chinese, Japanese or Hindu mythologies and you'll find enough super powers to fill the Justice League and Avengers.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By RustyRoy

If we're being completely honest here, there hasn't been a truly unique idea in any art form since the late renaissance, all the abilities found in any super hero aside from the tech guys was part of some ancient myth or a folk or fairy tale that someone came up with long before comics were invented. If you don't believe me go check out some Chinese, Japanese or Hindu mythologies and you'll find enough super powers to fill the Justice League and Avengers.

So true.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

He's the first.

All things that came first have ripoffs, as do all things popular.

Think of candy bars, smartphones, video games, etc

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By w0nd

He's the first.

All things that came first have ripoffs, as do all things popular.

Think of candy bars, smartphones, video games, etc

he's the first what? His whole being is just an amalgamation

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@rustyroy:

I cant refure that as I know very very little about him. so ill concede

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Superman is popular, and he sells.

The first comment below the OP says it all.

Zijuun.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They are not "rip-offs." They are homages. Others are different.

Shazam/ Captain Marvel is different and once out sold Superman. Until DC messed Fawcett over in court. Fawcett didn't lose the case, they won. But, DC kept them in court too long.

National Comics Publications v. Fawcett Publications

Captain Marvel's alter-ego was a child, not an adult; his powers were magic-based, not science-based) meant that Captain Marvel was not an infringement of National's copyrighted character, but a property in its own right.

The trial was decided in Fawcett's favor because of information Fawcett's lawyers had uncovered about Superman's copyright status.

Always keep fighting until you win. Greedy people need to be defeated.

kbrackie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the FIRST and the BEST!!! If you can't beat the man, be like the man.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: Fawcett won the first case on a technicality, but National appealed. Fawcett didn't win the 2nd time. They were forced to settle out of court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Comics_Publications_v._Fawcett_Publications

Despite Captain Marvel outselling Superman during the Golden Age, Superman survived the post-war decline in superhero popularity while Captain Marvel's sales dwindled and eventually was cancelled because Fawcett settled to cancel the character judging he wasn't worth fighting for any longer. Ironically enough 30 years after DC tried to kill the character, they were the ones who revived him.

Superman has much more staying power compared to any of the pretenders that came afterwards. He's the most ingrained superhero in western pop culture and no other superhero really has much of a chance to challenge him at this time. (yes even Batman)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By PowerHerc

There are many, many copies, pastiches and rip-offs of Superman because he is such a great character. Possibly the greatest superhero ever.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel can become as popular as Batman and Superman if DC gives him a push.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

@rdclip said:

@cezar_thescribe: Fawcett won the first case on a technicality, but National appealed. Fawcett didn't win the 2nd time. They were forced to settle out of court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Comics_Publications_v._Fawcett_Publications

Despite Captain Marvel outselling Superman during the Golden Age, Superman survived the post-war decline in superhero popularity while Captain Marvel's sales dwindled and eventually was cancelled because Fawcett settled to cancel the character judging he wasn't worth fighting for any longer. Ironically enough 30 years after DC tried to kill the character, they were the ones who revived him.

Superman has much more staying power compared to any of the pretenders that came afterwards. He's the most ingrained superhero in western pop culture and no other superhero really has much of a chance to challenge him at this time. (yes even Batman)

The second judge didn't know what he was doing.

They are both unique characters and properties unto themselves.

His sales only dwindled and so forth because DC/National filed a frivolous lawsuit.

Because they were being out done by the competition. Terrible and greedy. Lawsuits like that shouldn't be allowed.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Since Superman is so popular it's hard to escape being called a rip-off character, if the character can fly, has super strength and wears a cape. I've even seen threads asking if a manga/anime character like Goku is a rip off of Superman. It's all debatable. Captain Marvel was definitely inspired by Superman, but what really separates him from Supes is he is a regular person, but can turn into a superhero. Captain Marvel is the ultimate wish fulfillment.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RDClip

@cezar_thescribe said:

@rdclip said:

The second judge didn't know what he was doing.

-Your opinion, I wasn't there in 1951, so I can't say. The judge did his job and Fawcett lost, thats all anyone can say. Plus according to Wikipedia's article on the judge which i just skimmed over, he was a highly esteemed and one of the most highly quoted judges.

They are both unique characters and properties unto themselves.

-Captain Marvel did take inspiration from Superman, to what extent is a subjective matter.

His sales only dwindled and so forth because DC/National filed a frivolous lawsuit.

-Fawcett sales dwindling had nothing to do with the lawsuit. Their characters were just losing popularity after the war. Same thing happened to most of the National superhero books, but Superman and Batman were able to weather the storm while most superheroes were cancelled. Now, Fawcett finally decided to cancel their superhero books because of their settlement with National, but whose to say that Fawcett wouldn't have done the same regardless due to low sales.

Because they were being out done by the competition. Terrible and greedy. Lawsuits like that shouldn't be allowed.

-I am not arguing that the publishers of National weren't greedy money grubbers, they sure as hell were. They were the same guys who screwed Siegal and Shuster out of their copywrite on Superman. They were just better businessmen than the owners of Fawcett. Was it morally questionable to sue your competition? Yeah, it is. Is it illegal? Nope. They were perfectly within their legal rights to sue Fawcett and the judge agreed with them, so someone of authority agreed with them.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@sog7dc said:
@sog7dc said:

I actually like a few of them (though you cant beat the original) but why are there so many?

hyperion

sentry

majestic

captain marvel

shazam

Good question. Personally I don't like any of them, but Captain Marvel has been around a long time, so I don't think he is particularly a superman rip off. The others such as Sentry and Hyperion are just stupid. Hyperion holding universes apart, how silly is that. It was exactly those sort of stupid strength feats that ended up with a superman re-boot, post crisis! When super heroes become like gods, for me, they just lose interest and credibility. And no, I don't see Superman as any sort of God.

jimmy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there's a lot of difference between a rip off and something that draws inspiration from something as no one man can own a concept of something. If that were the case then everything in the world is basically just a rip off of something Superman included

I couldn't agree more. Having similar powers doesn't make character a rip-off.

If that was a case then Superman is Hugo Danner rip-off, Batman is Zorro rip-off, X-Men are Doom Patrol rip-offs, Cyclops is Comet rip-off, etc.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MarlboroMan

i personally like Sentry,Gladiator and Majestic more than Superman

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like so many said, he's popular, so they want to get some of that success. I think a big power set is also something you would think people would like. I don't read the flash, and I think it's very cool that a char like him can think of lots of ways to maximize his one power, but that would have more story limits perhaps. Teams fill that role though, each member with their own add to the mix

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the OPs question with a question. Why are there so many, "why are there so many ripoffs of superman" threads?

Spawn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Spawn92

There are many rip-offs of the majority of the original JLA. Superman, Batman, GL, Flash, WW have all seen their fair share of rip-off characters. However, I do agree that the Superman ones are brought to the forefront more often than not.

It's kind of hard to debate that Cap Marvel (Shazam) IS a rip-off, considering the time he came out.

Oh, and Apollo is my fav. Super-ripoff!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nova_prime_: I haven't seen any other ones. And why does that matter if this one still got responses?

_Maven_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite Superman rip-offs aren't even from Marvel or DC -

The Homelander - A jackass but a funny one

Supreme - Old Supes

Omni-Man - He has a better predecessor :P

The Plutonian - My personal favorite

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Superman is iconic and popular.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well superman was the first superheo so.....

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was the first superhero, so every other hero like his is inevitably referred to as a ripoff. Most of them have spread off and become unique in their own right, now.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because he's the blueprint superhero

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hyperion was originally a parody of Superman but changed.

Sentry may have a look similar to Superman but they really have nothing in common

Majestic, don't know a lot about him

Captain Marvel the Kree soldier is considered a ripoff? Never knew that.

Shazam isn't a rip off, I don't see any way he could be considered one.

Gladiator, he has the exact same powers as superman but has a completely different personality.

There is a difference between inspired and rip off.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see it is because he is the blueprint of what a superhero is. It is quite natural to tell a story with a superhero and decide to use the original superhero SUPERman.

Like The Plutonian, Metro Man, UltraMan(not DC and surprising used a few times), and many more.

It just makes sense to me for people to choose a Super Hero with Super Powers that are similar to SuperMans than say have several stories with a Super Hero with Spider powers, metal claws, gadget guy aka James Bond in a costume, A Hero who only uses a shield or an Aquatic hero.

That's just me though.

-m3th.O.D.-

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#81 SC  Moderator

I find "rip off" to be such a jaded, defensive and cynical term. Why did Superman rip off so many other characters before him? Why did those characters rip off so many characters before them? Why do so many stories cover themes and experiences like death, love, conflict? Why can't we have absolutely original characters that are one hundred percent unique and novel? Its impossible, only really a few cavemen from tens of thousands of years ago can really have claim to the ideas of heroes and relatively over proportioned qualities as far as scales of strength and morality. In other words super strength and bad and good guys.

Personally I reserve the term rip off for situations where legality and law is concerned. If I tried to start selling a comic called DCvsMarvel and had characters like Superman2 and Hulk2 and those characters looked like Superman but he had a 2 tattooed on his ear and Hulk had black shorts instead of purple. Yeah thats a rip off, I am trying to con people into giving me money because they might be under the impression I had these wonderful original ideas and characters and that I deserved financial reward for letting them read stories about these characters.

When it comes to big businesses their can be valid accusations of ripping off IP, but otherwise most writers, creators, artists know that characters will share traits, be inspired by characters, plots ideas that preceded and that characters ideas and so on will be referenced over and over for ever and ever. Marvel and DC I believe partially own the trademark on "super-heroes" so any body here who has their own creative and original ideas about superheroes, well no... apparently you are ripping off Marvel and DC just thinking about superheroes. Marvel and DC own superheroes heh heh.

So yeah creators don't exist in bubbles, they crawl, walk, talk and then read and are always influenced by external factors since their birth. Their can be relative originality and uniqueness but not absolute. Some ideas and characters creation to be tied and linked to causes and catalysts a lot easier than others, Sentry for example is a deconstruction of Superman. A writer who knows their comic history well can point and recognize that Superman is extremely important historically in the advent of superhero comics. He is also a cultural icon and well crafted and refined fictional character that is adored, loved and cherished by many. So a good writer can use their skills to disassemble the character, identify and analyze certain aspects of the character individually and reassemble the character for a new purpose. Whether that be homage or providing commentary on comics or fans or all sorts of ideas and views around the character deconstructed. Marvel's Gladiator is more of a fun homage with less meta commentary and more references and illusions, Kallark being Kal El combined with Clark Kent Kal + Lark from Clark = Kallark. All the Imperial Guard being homages to Legionnaires and also referencing Superman being partially inspired by Philip Wylie's Gladiator.

Observant comic fans who know their comic characters will recognize this of Gladiator and the Imperil Guard and recognize the nod, so the potential accusation of ripping off would lack merit and substance. not just that but Superman is a character thats in a product thats ongoing. Superman and all characters involved in ongoing mediums, will borrow and change, be influenced and inspired by what came before. In many ways Superman is a constant rip off of himself. The people who invented Superman aren't writing him anymore, DC comics owns the character, he is IP that is also designed and refined to sell and make money. He evolves and adapts with the times. He picked up flight along the way and thats now an integral part of him. Even though Namor flew before Superman, we still recognize that because Superman had it for so long that characters inspired by him should have it to (Gladiator Hyperion etc)

Finally as to why their are so many? Well Superman is comic books version of Dracula. He is one of the, if not the most globally recognized and iconic characters to the medium and in many ways he transcends the medium. His logo for example. His colors, his association with certain ideals and traits like freedom. That recognition and awareness make him a fast, easy and effective character to borrow traits from similar to Dracula. You make a character that sounds similar to Dracula, looks similar, has similar powers, explores similar themes and people get the character, plot, story much faster. When I read the Boys and still Homelander I recognized that is the character thats probably the most powerful guy on his team, he can fly, he has laser vision and X-Ray vision and probably well loved by the public. Homelander was a twisted subversion of Superman naturally to fit the Boys Universe but yeah.

The most popular ideas are the ones that resonate with the most people. What's popular or iconic or adored, isn't usually because its unique or original, but usually because it resonates with people and takes the best bits (bits that can be relatively unique and original) and discards unnecessary parts. Thats when, where and why Superman succeeded where the characters he was inspired by didn't, and the extent of his success means that characters can borrow from him like he borrowed from other characters but that doesn't mean they will necessarily surpass him unless they tap into peoples consciousness and the era of the times a lot better. Which is possible. Hercules was huge 2000 years ago, in 1000 years their is probably going to be a more recognized and popular cultural character that better epitomizes super heroism for its age and people.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#82  Edited By jointron33
ChaosMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its basically the most generic/classic set of powers to have.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I made this thread like a month after j grafted reading comics.....we all make mistakes

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because sometimes people tend to classify anything that flies and is more durable than human as superman ripoff..

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The word you're looking for is homage.

Homage: respect or reverence paid or rendered

A lot of those characters have different power sets.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#87 SC  Moderator

@sog7dc: S'okay, I don't look at it as a mistake myself, just getting to know the characters and creative elements a bit better yeah? :)

Oh so you have only been reading comics about four months? Thats cool, hope you are still enjoying it all and getting plenty of good back stories!